Originally Posted by spinoza_43221
Actually I think the Organic vs Synthetic arguement is very understandable as well as the conclusion of what the Reapers made.
It's worth noting, I think, that the Catalyst didn't create the Reapers....they were created by the same beings that created the Catalyst. And more importantly, the Catalyst DESTROYED THEM. According to the Catalyst, they were the first victims to fall to it's solution, which it's creators didn't agree with. If we take the Catalyst at it's word (and we have no reason to believe it is lying), then the chain of events was:
1) Ancient race observes or assumes repeated cycle of organics inventing synthetics who in turn wipe out their creators
2) Ancient race creates Reapers for some purpose
3) Ancient race creates Catalyst to solve Problem in event #1
4) Catalyst solves problem by taking control of reapers and creating culling cycle
5) Reapers wipe out their creators under control of the Catalyst
6) Wash-Rinse-Repeat every 50,000 years
One interesting concept was the idea that the Reapers were actually preserving the races they destroyed (and that their knowledge wasn't lost, just preserved for all time in these unstoppable killing machines).
I thought the extended endings were spiff as all get out.