Dragons Lair XBLA w/ Kinect integration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
for those who grew up in the 80's in arcades like me, you might be interested in this: http://www.engadget.com/2012/03/21/d...inect-support/

Dragon's Lair is coming to XBLA with Kinect integration! I might give it a try just for nostalgia and see how Kinect integration makes it better or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 493
there's a Dragon's Lair fanatic that's already played the kinect version.

here's his comments:

by a user named sydbolton: I was fortunate enough to play this game during a recent visit to Digital Leisure doing some research ... and I have to tell you, this is the most AMAZING and fun filled Dragon's Lair experience I have had in a long time. These guys have put a LOT of extras into the game - the Kinect controls are not just "up, down, left, right" - you actually have to climb the ropes, and pull the sword from the stone etc. It's great and so is the presentation etc. If you don't like all of that you can still use the controller of course but trust me you are going to WANT to play this with Kinect!

Check out his Dragon's Lair collection. His HD-DVD is still shrinkwrapped.

post #3 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 01:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
This was one of the most difficult games I remember in the arcades...I pumped dollars in at a time, and couldn't get through the first act. Still, it was one of the coolest game of it's time period...
Now maybe I can see what the rest of the story was...and show my 6 year old what kind of games we had 20+ years ago.
When is release slated for?

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

post #4 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

What I'm wondering is if anyone here has finished Dragon's Lair. It's a lot of memorization and good timing! It was my introduction to QTE games (quick time events).

I have the HD-DVD version and it's plagued by the same problems as the DVD versions in that to ameliorate the bad seek times of modern optical drives compared to the laserdisc drive in the arcade machine, rather than keep the sequences in order when you died, it just seeks to the nearest scene when you die so you can't just do trial and error to finish a scene. So you could be swinging vines and catching on fire, and then go to the ball rolling scene and get crushed, and then go to the water scene and drown.

It's the reason I haven't finished the game yet as you can't just methodically learn the scenes.

I assume with an XBLA version, that they could keep the scenes in sequence so if you died in the water because you went left, it would restart the scene and you could die in the water because you went right, and then finally get it correctly by going straight.

I do have the DVD version of Space Ace and my memory keeps telling me that they did keep that version on sequence when you died. I thought the DVD version of Dragon's Lair was the same but someone told me it has the same problems as the HD-DVD version.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-22-2012, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I recently downloaded this from itunes for $.99 for my itouch. Otherwise I would be up for giving it a go on the 360. Also the only way for me to get through it was to use the hint system which lights up the correct button for you leaving you with just getting the timing down for each scene.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #6 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
I have the HD-DVD version and it's plagued by the same problems as the DVD versions in that to ameliorate the bad seek times of modern optical drives compared to the laserdisc drive in the arcade machine, rather than keep the sequences in order when you died, it just seeks to the nearest scene when you die so you can't just do trial and error to finish a scene. So you could be swinging vines and catching on fire, and then go to the ball rolling scene and get crushed, and then go to the water scene and drown.

It's the reason I haven't finished the game yet as you can't just methodically learn the scenes.

As far as I remember, this was the way it was in the arcades. The game would move you to a new scene once you died. Of course, the game would have you repeat the scene that you died on eventually as you had to successfully complete them all to get to the ending scene.

I know if you download Dragon's Lair for the iPhone or PS3 the game lets you choose if you want to play the Arcade version or the "Home" version. I know the Home version has 1 or 2 extra scenes, but I can't remember if the Home version makes the scene progression linear or not.
post #7 of 11 Old 03-23-2012, 01:21 PM

Man I love this game and got it on my Mame machine as well. Space Ace was another great title too. I may have to grab this one !

XBL : FrccDirtyNeedlz
Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #8 of 11 Old 04-15-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

co-op play????
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 01:39 AM

They better have Space Ace ready too.

XBL GTÂ vFLOODv
post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 153
That's pretty dang cool... if it works well (kinect).

Jason
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Agreed...
The last Kinect experience we had was this weekend...Star Wars Kinect. Miserable, miserable, miserable. The Easter Bunny almost brought this for my son...
I sure am glad he didn't spend his hard earned dollars on that peice of fecal matter...Lost connection/recognition, multiple times. Missed cues for movement, etc...
I realize Dragon's Lair is a Marketplace game, and not a "full boat" 60 dollar retail disc, but, if they are integrating Kinect...make it playable, or don't do it!

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page