Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #271 of 303 Old 07-08-2013, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm having difficulty playing ST:TNG on the PS3 version of TPA, so I'm happy to hear that things are improving on the 360 front.

The flippers just don't flip fast enough on the PS3 version. I Googled around and found lots of complaints, and then complaints about the complaints by people who have no issues and don't like it when their favorite pinball game gets maligned. Doesn't matter how many posts you find using PS3 Pinball Arcade lag, they are all incorrect. Yea, right...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 303 Old 07-08-2013, 11:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Pinball Arcade is alive and is still very much a going concern with a lot of news and happenings around it and regular releases on currently available platforms except here.

They simply ran into trouble on the Xbox 360 because of Microsoft's demand that independents go through established publishers (Farsight self-publishes on other platforms). Farsight logically went with their partner that they successfully released several retail releases through in the past and that company shortly afterwards experienced severe financial difficulties and left Farsight tangled in their legal mess. They weren't allowed to self-publish so they had a publishing contract with a publisher but that publisher was in bankruptcy so Farsight was in legal limbo because of it.

The good news is that Crave Entertainment is apparently preparing to resume business after reorganization and Farsight will be able to restart with them after a year of inactivity after being caught in Crave's mess and being unable to extricate themselves and go with another publisher. And Wii U, Steam, and Playstation 4 (The PS4 version apparently has significant lighting enhancements and looked very impressive at E3; Traits that I presume the Steam version will also offer) versions are on their way although I'm not sure about the status of the announced 3DS version.

And they're holding off on the Xbox One since they're hoping that they will be able to self-publish in the wake of incidents like their ill fortune on the Xbox 360 that has started to gain a lot of press. Hopefully such stuff encourages Microsoft to relax their restrictions like how I believe I read that they recently eased up on their outrageous patch prices in recent days. They don't want to contract with a publisher any earlier than they need to and lock themselves in and risk another repeat of this mess (And split their profits) when there's hope that Microsoft will make their policies more friendly to smaller developers and allow them to self-publish on the Xbox One .

Here's a list of released and planned tables to give you an idea of what's been happening since table pack 3 was released on the Xbox 360.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pinball_Arcade#Table_key

If that's the case, I'm willing to wait.

You also talked about the lighting enhancements of the new PS4 and I would have thought the new Xbox (You've been calling Xbox 1) so I guess I'm out of the loupe since I didn't even know the name of the new Xbox! Anyway, would it be best they wait till the new system comes out since I'm sure the new Xbox One will be up there (power wise) with the new councils coming out. Or would they just add updates to the older titles once the newer systems come out? And of course, I'm talking about changes to the physics the newer equipment should be capable of handling.

By the way, I still feel Farsight "needs" to release the great "Spirit of 76," a fantastic game!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #273 of 303 Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

I'm having difficulty playing ST:TNG on the PS3 version of TPA, so I'm happy to hear that things are improving on the 360 front.

The flippers just don't flip fast enough on the PS3 version. I Googled around and found lots of complaints, and then complaints about the complaints by people who have no issues and don't like it when their favorite pinball game gets maligned. Doesn't matter how many posts you find using PS3 Pinball Arcade lag, they are all incorrect. Yea, right...

I once had a friend over to play some Pinball Arcade and said there was a delay from the controller to compared to what he was expecting to see on the screen. It turned out there was nothing wrong. He was talking about the distance the triggers had to travel before there was any action in the flipper on the screen. So maybe that's the complaint they're talking about???

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #274 of 303 Old 07-09-2013, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post

I once had a friend over to play some Pinball Arcade and said there was a delay from the controller to compared to what he was expecting to see on the screen. It turned out there was nothing wrong. He was talking about the distance the triggers had to travel before there was any action in the flipper on the screen. So maybe that's the complaint they're talking about???
Well, I use my 360 controller on the PS3 now, so I don't think I'd see a difference. I'll see about getting the TPA demo on the 360 and compare the two consoles as best I can...

I swear there was a demo for Pinball Arcade once. The LIVE website doesn't offer one now. Not interested in paying $10 to test...

post #275 of 303 Old 11-03-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Does anyone know or is there news out there if PA will need a publisher or be able to self publish for the new Xbox 1?

post #276 of 303 Old 11-04-2013, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:

Does anyone know or is there news out there if PA will need a publisher or be able to self publish for the new Xbox 1?

Coming to PC via Steam (should be today or tomorrow) and PS4 at launch. Nothing's been announced for Xbox One.

Console gamers curious/interested in PC gaming?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #277 of 303 Old 11-04-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 204
It's out already for PC I think. I could swear I saw some impressions of it at another forum a day or two ago.
post #278 of 303 Old 11-04-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

It's out already for PC I think. I could swear I saw some impressions of it at another forum a day or two ago.

I was supposed to be out on Nov. 1st, but there was an issue with the currency outside the US, so it slipped 'til today.

But it's out now, finally! smile.gif

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #279 of 303 Old 11-05-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ View Post

I was supposed to be out on Nov. 1st, but there was an issue with the currency outside the US, so it slipped 'til today.

But it's out now, finally! smile.gif

That's cool! Though I guess that's for the PC.

Maybe we will hear more after the launch of Xbox 1. (Fingers crossed!)

post #280 of 303 Old 11-05-2013, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I hope (for FarSight's sake) they eventually get the 360 version to become available again, but they have missed their Window to get any more of my $$ on that platform.

I've been a beta tester of the PC version (the beta version had all tables unlocked), and I can say without hesitation that it is the superior version I have seen so far (I have played iOS, XB360 and PS3). Now that the full version is out, I only have access to the free table and the two I earned via Kickstarter.

Before I pull the trigger I'll be assessing the XB1 and PS4, and (assuming Pinball Arcade comes out for both). Then I'll decide which one I want to go with, and then buy everything.

While the new consoles will possibly beat the PC version for graphics, I think the PC may still be superior because there is zero latency when using a hardwired keyboard. I didn't realize how many shots I miss because of tiny bits of lag in the 360 wireless controller until I stopped missing similar shots on the PC version. In fact at first I thought the PC version was set to some kind of "easy" mode... but then realized that sitting close to the screen and having zero latency makes for an even more realistic setting.

I know the XB1 and PS4 have done things to reduce wireless latency, but even still, I kind of expect the PC to still feel the tightest.

At any rate, I really appreciate the new purchase model of the game being free and then paying for tables, so you can risk-free try it on every platform at your disposal and then buy tables on what you like best. If it is on PS4 (and maybe XB1) at launch when there are not that many games out, they’re going to do well I think.

-
post #281 of 303 Old 11-05-2013, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I've given up on the 360 version. I currently play Pinball FX2 on the PC as well. I might return to TPA if it releases for the Xbox One. I'll see how it shakes down. I don't want to split tables between platforms. the only reason I like it on the PC is I can play it on my laptop, on my tablet, etc. Otherwise, I hate being on the small screen. and it's kind of annoying hooking a PC to a TV just to play pinball.
post #282 of 303 Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

I played TPA on my laptop today, and the keyboard sucked. I do have the wireless adapter but I don't think the experience will get a lot better.

I can stand playing on the PS3, but my real desire is to play on the 360. I hope that comes relatively soon...

post #283 of 303 Old 11-16-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I think the PC may still be superior because there is zero latency when using a hardwired keyboard. I didn't realize how many shots I miss because of tiny bits of lag in the 360 wireless controller until I stopped missing similar shots on the PC version. In fact at first I thought the PC version was set to some kind of "easy" mode... but then realized that sitting close to the screen and having zero latency makes for an even more realistic setting.

I know the XB1 and PS4 have done things to reduce wireless latency, but even still, I kind of expect the PC to still feel the tightest.

I've never noticed an issue with latency with my Xbox 360. I would think if there was an issue with latency, there would be lots of complaints not only for Pinball Arcade, but for all video games being played on the wireless controller through Xbox 360.

post #284 of 303 Old 11-16-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:

I've never noticed an issue with latency with my Xbox 360. I would think if there was an issue with latency, there would be lots of complaints not only for Pinball Arcade, but for all video games being played on the wireless controller through Xbox 360.
Latency is one of those things like frame rate, and refresh rate, etc. Some people notice, and some people don't. I never noticed the latency either, but when I moved to PC I got better... and it felt more responsive and tight. So I can only attribute that to latency on the Xbox.

Here is a video about the new Xbox One controller, and they mention reducing latency: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SYaTLCWL0&t=234&hd=1

-
post #285 of 303 Old 11-20-2013, 10:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

Latency is one of those things like frame rate, and refresh rate, etc. Some people notice, and some people don't. I never noticed the latency either, but when I moved to PC I got better... and it felt more responsive and tight. So I can only attribute that to latency on the Xbox.

Here is a video about the new Xbox One controller, and they mention reducing latency: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4SYaTLCWL0&t=234&hd=1

That's very interesting. Thank you.

Also, I wonder if you were better on the PC VS the HDTV maybe because your a lot closer to the PC screen? Another words, I wonder if it's more because it's easier to see what's going on when your closer when compared to sitting in the living room a lot further away from a HDTV screen?

post #286 of 303 Old 11-20-2013, 10:37 PM

Quote:

Also, I wonder if you were better on the PC VS the HDTV maybe because your a lot closer to the PC screen? Another words, I wonder if it's more because it's easier to see what's going on when your closer when compared to sitting in the living room a lot further away from a HDTV screen?
That is a good point and may be a factor... but I do have a rather large TV (73" DLP) so I can see the table pretty clearly on both PC and TV.

On a side note... My computer monitor is 120Hz, and the very first Beta version ran at double-speed on my computer, which made it almost unplayable. I figured out if I downgraded my monitor to 60Hz, it fixed the problem. However, a pinball bouncing around is the perfect use case for 120Hz.. It look amazingly smooth, it just moved too fast. When I reported the bug I was hoping they'd support 120Hz natively, but alas, they locked the frame rate to 60 to fix the issue. 60 is not bad of course, but man that pinball looked smooth at 120.

To get an idea of how you can perceive the difference between 60 and 120 Hz, just wiggle your mouse back and forth across the screen. You will notice that you see multiple cursors. At 120Hz, you can still see multiple cursors but there is half the distance between them. Now imagine instead of a cursor, it's a pinball... and you can see how it would make a significant difference. biggrin.gif

-
post #287 of 303 Old 12-14-2013, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

It's amazing with the launch of the new Xbox 1, how much quicker this thread gets buried. That's fine though I totally understand particularly with the issues involved with getting the latest PA titles onto the Xbox platform. Just to hold me over, I went ahead and downloaded the PC software to play PA on the computer. It's very interesting being able to play the trial versions of all the games released.

Now about the quality. From what I've read, the PS4 version of PA currently looks better than how it looks for the PC. However, I understand there's going to be a downloadable patch to improve the look for the PC version sometime next year. unfortunately, I don't know what it involves or when that patch will be available. So in the meantime, I really have no reason to buy into the new Xbox 1 system and I'll continue to support PA VIA the PC version.

Currently, there's not anything wrong with my Xbox 360, so I think I'll be keeping that for a good long time particularly for how little I get on to that unit.

post #288 of 303 Old 12-14-2013, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

From what I've read, the PS4 version of PA currently looks better than how it looks for the PC. However, I understand there's going to be a downloadable patch to improve the look for the PC version sometime next year. unfortunately, I don't know what it involves or when that patch will be available. So in the meantime, I really have no reason to buy into the new Xbox 1 system and I'll continue to support PA VIA the PC version.

Yeah, the Steam version of Pinball Aracade is pretty solid. Friends Leaderboard support is lacking, but otherwise, I'm happy with it. I bought both seasons, and the third season is supposed to start soon.

The PS4 version has improved lighting - each individual light is uniquely sourced. It launches out this week- digital and, a first for PA, a disc version! The Steam version is supposed to be updated to this graphics level at some point, but I'm fine with the mapped lights too. Looking forward to checking out the PS4 version, but I'll probably only buy my favorite tables on the PS4 and continue to support PA via Steam with each table pack as released.

Be sure to check out Pinball FX2 on Steam - also solid pinball.

post #289 of 303 Old 01-14-2014, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

I posted a couple question to PA (several weeks ago) and haven't received an answer. Maybe they're tired of answering it.

When will they have multiplayer games take place on line? But not play at the same time, at least have the option to watch how the other is doing before it's the next person's turn. That would be like real pinball!

post #290 of 303 Old 01-14-2014, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I posted a couple question to PA (several weeks ago) and haven't received an answer. Maybe they're tired of answering it.

When will they have multiplayer games take place on line? But not play at the same time, at least have the option to watch how the other is doing before it's the next person's turn. That would be like real pinball!

They have announced Online Head-to-Head coming to the Steam version at some point in a future update, but date unknown.

As for the game ever coming back to a Microsoft console - who knows? It would be nice to get an Xbox One version of pinball.

post #291 of 303 Old 04-11-2014, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Here's a notice I just received from Pinball Arcade...

"If you've been paying attention to Microsoft's ID@Xbox initiative you might already have caught this, but we're proud to announce that we have been hard at work on the Xbox One version of Pinball Arcade! We're expecting to launch mid summer 2014 with the entire Season Two collection."

Cool!

post #292 of 303 Old 04-11-2014, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:

Here's a notice I just received from Pinball Arcade...

"If you've been paying attention to Microsoft's ID@Xbox initiative you might already have caught this, but we're proud to announce that we have been hard at work on the Xbox One version of Pinball Arcade! We're expecting to launch mid summer 2014 with the entire Season Two collection."

Cool!

I had sworn off on Pinball Arcade. I'll give them another chance on the One... If they mess up again, it's a permanent switch to Pinball FX2 who has been far more dependable. Love playing it on my PC in full 1080p.
post #293 of 303 Old 04-12-2014, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

From their latest newsletter...

"How long have you been waiting to see this logo back on our newsletters? Xbox 360 fans of Pinball Arcade, IT IS HAPPENING! The transfer of publishing rights for the Xbox 360 version of Pinball Arcade has at last been granted to Alliance Digital Media by Microsoft. We have submitted all of the content and 360 users will soon be getting a massive title update containing all of the latest versions of the tables, all of the releases up to date, and all bug fixes. Once the title update is approved by Microsoft, we will be updating you on the release date when you can finally get your hands back on Pinball Arcade on your Xbox 360!"
post #294 of 303 Old 06-18-2014, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
From their latest newsletter...

"How long have you been waiting to see this logo back on our newsletters? Xbox 360 fans of Pinball Arcade, IT IS HAPPENING! The transfer of publishing rights for the Xbox 360 version of Pinball Arcade has at last been granted to Alliance Digital Media by Microsoft. We have submitted all of the content and 360 users will soon be getting a massive title update containing all of the latest versions of the tables, all of the releases up to date, and all bug fixes. Once the title update is approved by Microsoft, we will be updating you on the release date when you can finally get your hands back on Pinball Arcade on your Xbox 360!"

I've certainly been waiting a good long while and I'm excited about it.

Do you know when the title update for Xbox 360 be approved by Microsoft?

Do you know if the update will include the new "light engine?" Or is that called 3D Light Engine? It's where the lighting effects not only effect the bumpers or where ever the light is sourced, it also effects the brightness realistically to the areas around that light source.

Also, I've also been waiting for the new 3D light engine to be updated on Steam's version of Pinball Arcade. Do you know when that will be updated?

Thanks

post #295 of 303 Old 06-19-2014, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Sadly, I don't have any details.

It's my understanding though that the new light engine is a next generation exclusive. I don't think it's planned to be implemented on the PS3, 360, Wii U (If that ever happens which I don't believe it will at this point), or mobile platforms.
post #296 of 303 Old 06-19-2014, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I didn't realize that Whodunnit was in one of the more recent packs. That's actually one of my favorites.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #297 of 303 Old 06-19-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
Sadly, I don't have any details.

It's my understanding though that the new light engine is a next generation exclusive. I don't think it's planned to be implemented on the PS3, 360, Wii U (If that ever happens which I don't believe it will at this point), or mobile platforms.

I think your right as I never thought of it as being an exclusive for next generation platforms.

Still, I'm exciting about the update for Xbox 360. According to PA dated 04-11-14, "360 users will soon be getting a massive title update containing all of the latest versions of the tables, all of the releases up to date, and all bug fixes. Once the title update is approved by Microsoft, we will be updating you on the release date."

So we're simply waiting for Microsoft's approval for the 360 update.

About the new light engine, I would imagine it will be available for Steam's PC edition. If anyone knows if that may not be the case, please let me know.

And according to PA, they expect the Xbox One version to launch mid summer 2014 with the whole Season Two collection.

News from PA;

Season Three Pass Removal
Most of you are aware that Apple has denied us the ability to sell the Season Pass subscription before the Season has fully been released. We have come to the the decision that we will be removing the Season Three Pass from all platforms to preserve consistency of purchasing options. Nothing will change for those that already purchased the Season Three Pass, you will be entitled to the tables just as you were before.

And it looks like "Diner" will be part of season three!

post #298 of 303 Old 06-19-2014, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I haven't seen any word on the lighting engine for Steam or XB1, but it strikes me as a reasonable assumption that the Steam version will eventually get this and that the XB1 release will have it from day 1.

It's sucky news about the season pass, but it was my understanding as of a few months ago when this happened that they'd still make it available after the fact. So if one doesn't mind waiting around a bit, a deal should still be possible at the end of each season.

I'm hoping for further retail releases on the PS4 though. I love that season 1 saw a disc release and hope they continue when each subsequent season is finished on the PS4. Farsight talks up the preservation angle all the time, but with digital downloads, they'll be harder to locate than an original machine in a few years.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 06-19-2014 at 05:01 PM.
post #299 of 303 Old 07-19-2014, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Since nobody has brought it up yet:

http://pinballarcadefans.com/content...all-Arcade!!!?

Quote:
"If you are thinking... "Don't tease us any more with the Addams Family™ back glass!" Guess what? We aren't. We've agreed upon terms with all of the major licenses and clearances we need to FINALLY do a Kickstarter to recreate the highly anticipated ADDAMS FAMILY™ pinball table!!! We have been working on this for a long time, and it's finally becoming a reality! We expect to launch the Kickstarter this summer, so get ready fans! We will need your help!"
DaverJ likes this.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #300 of 303 Old 07-20-2014, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Wonder how many of their previous supporters are still waiting to be able to play the fruits of their generosity on their Xbox 360.

Even if that isn't a significant stumbling block, the Kickstarters are getting tiresome at this point. If previous high profile efforts like Star Trek were such a success, I don't know why Farsight themselves just aren't taking on the risk at this point after several successful high profile table releases earlier on.

I don't much care for this Kickstarter trend of passing the buck although at least Farsight actually delivers something to at least some of their platforms that they've announced support for. But what I really want to see instead of something like this is resolving issues like getting Pinball Arcade out on all announced platforms.

Last edited by Leo_Ames; 07-21-2014 at 02:40 PM.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page