Actual cost of using xbox as an apple TV or Roku - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
So ive been overseas for a while and am finally moving back in may (vegas here i come!) What is the actual cost equaling up all the subscriptions up...The wife is skeptical in that she does not want to get rid of local news and all...

It seems like you have to sign up for 4-5 monthy subscriptions at 10-15 bucks a piece but would it still be cheaper than cable with HD programming?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonstiller View Post

So ive been overseas for a while and am finally moving back in may (vegas here i come!) What is the actual cost equaling up all the subscriptions up...The wife is skeptical in that she does not want to get rid of local news and all...

It seems like you have to sign up for 4-5 monthy subscriptions at 10-15 bucks a piece but would it still be cheaper than cable with HD programming?

You can get great deals on 12 month Xbox Live Gold subs right now. And you can get local news using an antenna. But honestly, unless you're using your Xbox 360 for online gaming, then go with a Roku or Apple Tv which is a lot less costly. Roku has the new LT box for $49.99, with no extra charges. Now subscribing to services like Netflix or Hulu+ will cost you money, but combining those with ota and Redbox will be a hell of a lot cheaper than getting cable or satellite tv.
post #3 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Gold membership can be found for ~$40 when you find a good deal.

Netflix streaming is $8 per month

Hulu Plus is $8 per month

HD movie downloads from Zune or Vudu run about $3-6 dollars per depending on video quality.

Like someone else said, just get an antenna to get the local HD channels for free over the air (OTA).

Your looking at ~$20 per month for quite an amazing selection of TV/Movie content (not counting movie rentals from Zune or Vudu).

Depending on your internet service provider, you may also get free access to ESPN3 which is an amazing service that has a TON of great sporting content.

www.espn3.com

Certainly beats an $80 to $100 cable bill each month.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #4 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Vudu, etc. can all be done without paying the $40-$60 MS Live tax. Many devices support these apps.

Now playing: Destiny Beta, Wolfenstein
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #5 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
I just got a year of Xbox Live Gold for $40 that came with $60 (original MSRP) worth of games (Lode Runner, R-Type Dimensions, The Maw, Snoopy Flying Ace, and Aqua).

Right now, if you get the 6 month subscription, you get Halo Reach, Fable III, Kinect Sports, Toy Soldiers, and The Gunstringer for free.

The Microsoft store is selling a year of Gold for $45 and giving back $20 in Microsoft points.

A number of places were selling a year for around $30-45 recently so it's been a cornucopia of great deals.

So plenty of great deals going around.

You can still get over-the-air HD broadcasts. I have a pair of tuners in my PC and use Windows Media Center to record and play them. You have Windows Media Center in the Xbox so you can watch the local news that way and control it with the game controller or remote as if it's a normal DVR app.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Vudu, etc. can all be done without paying the $40-$60 MS Live tax. Many devices support these apps.

Many are also much easier and faster to deal with when they're not on a gaming console. But it all depends on what you already have and what you want. Like others around here, I have a cheap HTPC that I use for all of my media viewing (and an iPad). My 360 is just for games. And I use rabbit ears for free HD broadcasts.

In this day and age, cable is overkill IMO. We're already saturated with internet media content at a fraction of the cost. The only thing cable is good for is live sports.

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #7 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Right now, if you get the 6 month subscription, you get Halo Reach, Fable III, Kinect Sports, Toy Soldiers, and The Gunstringer for free.

Where in the world are you finding this deal?

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #8 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

it looks like this deal is/was on the dashboard
post #9 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

post #10 of 13 Old 03-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Liked: 10
XBOX has more apps than any other single device I've seen. XBOX live 12mth can be had for as low as $33 if you hunt and are patient. I have an Apple TV as well and if they were to bolster their app selection a bit, it could compete better from a streaming only perspective. At $99, if it were to have similar content, anyone who wasn't a gamer would purchase it over an XBOX.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
how exactly are you guys streaming your movies to the 360?
post #12 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarpad View Post

how exactly are you guys streaming your movies to the 360?

I do it via Zune or via Windows Media Center. Helps that I started encoding original video (gameplay videos, home videos, etc.) to H.264 MP4 via Handbrake or changing the container to MP4 for my movies which the Xbox is fine with. In the MKV container, no.

I'm moving away from MKV. Yes, it's a great container and it's very flexible. But it doesn't have enough compatibility across the big name devices. As long as Microsoft, Sony, Apple, etc. refuse to add MKV support, MKV will remain on the fringe.

People talk about the on-the-fly transcoding. Umm, no. That's not worth it for me. Too much handholding on my part due to all the bugs and niggles. I'd rather use my WD TV devices. In fact, my WD TV devices are plenty great for streaming video. But if I happen to have my 360 on and want to watch stuff from my PC, MP4 is great.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Liked: 11
depending on where you live and availability, comcast is now offering streampix (a direct competitor to netflix, with similar content) for $4.99 in addition to one of their xfinity TV services (i'm not a fan of my antenna's ability to pull in locals, so maybe see if you can add it to the basic package if it's in your area). also, there's an xfinity app for the 360 if you have xfinity internet service, Comcast says your use of it will not count against your monthly bandwidth cap.

i also use PlayOn, which picks up amazon prime (best $79 i ever spent, because i order a lot online and free 2-day shipping is awesome, they throw in the video streaming for free), some of the networks, and several other providers, and it works perfectly well for me on my 360, my PS3, and many other devices. they have a 'lifetime' offer going on right now for $49.99

my sister cut the cord last year and never looked back. PlayOn, hulu, netflix, and an antenna, and her family is perfectly happy.

Chimpuat

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page