The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Enhanced Edition) - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 41 Old 04-19-2012, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 744
my question is: can someone who doesn't play RPGs get into this game?

plop my brother into a game like this and he automatically knows the menus, how it controls, etc. because all games of the genre has the same base elements. it just becomes a matter of learning the differences.

but for someone like me, it's all new.

I heard the game has a great story and looks cool. But for much the same reasons, I still haven't gone near Skyrim at all due to lack of interest in the genre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 Old 04-19-2012, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

my question is: can someone who doesn't play RPGs get into this game?

Tricky question.

I play these games, and I'm stumbling with the controls, menus, mechanics, etc.. But it seems like maybe it will be worth it for the story and quests, which are excellent.

The first hour or two of the tutorial and the early quests, I thought "ehhh... this isn't a game for me - I'll sell it and go back to KoA:Reckoning". But the next morning I found myself wanting to play Witcher2 again, which is the sign of a game that I'll eventually like, if not love.

Playing on Easy makes combat a simple button masher, which is fine with me. Be aware there's lots of dialog and pretty long cut-scenes between the action.

I'm still not sure if I'm sold on the game as a whole, but getting a grasp of the menus and past the disappointment of the uninteresting loot, I find I'm still being drawn into the game for some reason.

But if you don't like RPGs, it might be a tougher sell. I would highly recommend to try before you buy. Also, it takes some time before things start clicking.

"My advice: don't spend money on therapy. Spend it in a record store." – Wim Wenders
post #33 of 41 Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Finding that list of perks made the game more annoying since now I have to do stuff in a specific way rather than just DOING it. All this for a few percentage points here and there, although not dying because of a perk sounds good to me.

Now in Chapter 1. Glad that all my stuff was returned, although an armor enhancement fell off, somehow...

LIVE: mikepaul

Evil intentionally does harm to innocent beings. Good will occasionally do harm to innocent beings, but it's not intentional. Try not to be Evil. Strive to be Good...
post #34 of 41 Old 04-20-2012, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1033 Post(s)
Liked: 1273
Sounds like you might have to actually not button mash in this game. Good stuff.

"When crazy is standard, sane needs a name tag."
post #35 of 41 Old 04-20-2012, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Had a tough time with arm wrestling the toughest guy in Flotsam, but after reading older PC posts, I put my thumb and forefinger on either side of the stick and tapped it in the direction I wanted it to go. Won immediately...

Evil intentionally does harm to innocent beings. Good will occasionally do harm to innocent beings, but it's not intentional. Try not to be Evil. Strive to be Good...
post #36 of 41 Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Is there a GOOD alternate map online for when a side quest isn't tracked for you? Troll Trouble hinted that I should find a guy in a cemetery near Flotsam, and it took a LONG time to find it by wandering around. There's dangerous stuff out there and I found THAT easily enough...

post #37 of 41 Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 851
Just got this in so Ill rez an older thread. Something about this game is drawing me in. Feels a lot like Dark Souls with its difficulty and look but with a much deeper story. Cant wait to get more time in.
post #38 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I purchased the Xbox 360 version of this game a couple of months ago for $30 from Amazon.com based on positive word of mouth but try as I might, I simply could not get into it. Graphically it looked fine and I had no trouble with combat, spells or potion preparation; the voice acting was also competent. Despite all that the story never drew me in. I'm not sure if there were too many characters introduced too quickly or too many sidequests were presented that diluted the main story but the thing never grabbed me and quickly started to feel tedious. I even deleted my save file after about 6 hours of gaming and restarted from scratch to see if a playing the game a little differently might get me into it but to no avail. I ended up trading it in for store credit.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
post #39 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
The Witcher 2 is the best modern RPG. It does beat Mass Effect and Dragon Age easily. The problem though, is that it aims for realism not stereotyping, the main reason why you can't get into it. This is exactly what I look for in an RPG in 2012 not the same old good vs evil rubbish but it turns some people off. The world is deliberately amoral and vicious and it makes utterly no sense if you haven't played No 1, at least twice. Also, don't bother with the console version (which is based on 7 yr old tech), the PC version is far superior, and the graphics are sensational.
post #40 of 41 Old 09-29-2012, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiddles88 View Post

The Witcher 2 is the best modern RPG. It does beat Mass Effect and Dragon Age easily. The problem though, is that it aims for realism not stereotyping, the main reason why you can't get into it. This is exactly what I look for in an RPG in 2012 not the same old good vs evil rubbish but it turns some people off. The world is deliberately amoral and vicious and it makes utterly no sense if you haven't played No 1, at least twice. Also, don't bother with the console version (which is based on 7 yr old tech), the PC version is far superior, and the graphics are sensational.

The 360 version was just fine technically and far as the game's realism goes, I found the world no more or less real than what we get in other games like the Elder Scrolls series- enchanted weapons, magical spells and potions, various factions and clans (the conflict in Skyrim between the Empire and Stormcloaks is every bit as morally ambiguous), and your typical assortment of elves and other character types. I also didn't have any problem following what was happening - the included booklet and a quick perusal of the net easily brought me up to speed. My problems were with the game experience itself; the story simply didn't resonate with me at all (I found it boring) and I thought the over-abundance of side-quests introduced so early on robbed the game of any focus. I also thought that there was way too much exposition - too much sitting around and talking to move the story forward instead of actually doing. Pacing plays a big part in these types of games and while I hate doing direct comparisons I find the Elder Scrolls games to be almost perfectly paced, confidently movie the player through the story and the game world he inhabits without constantly bringing the whole thing to a grinding halt. The Witcher just failed to do that for me.

Xbox Live: XboxPhantom
PSN: TonyDP
post #41 of 41 Old 09-30-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked: 851
I just got through the castle assault (prolog) and made it into the first city so I'm not too far along but this game is drawing me in the way Skyrim didn't. I'm really digging the story so far, very intrigued on Geralts past from the bits they have let out. Skyrim was cool and is on my list to finish but the constant side quests were annoying and the story didn't seem to grab me like Oblivion did, different time and place I guess. In my estimation Witcher 2 is like Demon\Dark Souls, some people love them and some can't understand what the fuss is all about.

For the record I think Skyrim is amazing but I've played so many RPGs that the constant quest angle is a bit old to me. Mass Effect also did well to not have a million fetch quests for useless junk. So far in W2 the quests seem to be part of the story, ie do this person a solid and they give you info but that could quickly change to gather 10 fish in the dangerous part of the swamp.

Graphically I think it looks great, maybe not PC but still really good for an older game on a console. It does seem story heavy with lots of dialog and lots of cut scenes, which I could see some people turned off by it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page