Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 - Page 103 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3061 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I rock a 52" Sharp Aquos LCD with a 4ms screen response. Can get you the model number if you want.

Love the picture.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3062 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 198
I'm looking at the LC-80LE844U or the LC-90LE745U. The LC-90LE745U is $3,600 more though and I'm not sure it's worth it for the extra 10".

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #3063 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

I'm looking at the LC-80LE844U or the LC-90LE745U. The LC-90LE745U is $3,600 more though and I'm not sure it's worth it for the extra 10".
Hope you like clouds and flashlights wink.gif

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #3064 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

What's that?

post #3065 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Is that particular to those models or Sharp in general? My model apparently had some banding and green issues. Though never saw that on mine.

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #3066 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What's that?
Issues with LCD's related to the panel design and tech that give inconsistent black levels and light that can sometimes bleed in from the corners of the panel. Banding has also been a fairly common issue but if this is just for gaming and not movies I doubt you would ever notice it unless playing a campaign for something like Dead Space or ME. I know most of the gamers here don't actually look at the home theater portions of AVS but search words like "flashlight" "clouds", or "banding" in the threads for the models you mention and you will see. I had terrible issues with my Sony XBR4 back in the day, I'll never buy and LCD for anything other than a bedroom or kitchen. YMMV

edit - her's one for banding:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 75

I will say Plasmas can have banding too and some image retention depending on the make/model but for both the Panasonics I have owned it has been a non issue and the rich color and inky blacks are amazing. I was very close to buying a 70" Sharp Elite and after multiple trips to 3 different Bestbuys, hands full of bluray movies, and a variety of ISF calibration settings I decided against it as I just could not get the colors correct. If you look at an LCD that has active dimming that will help mitigate these other issues.

My Rig

post #3067 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Enough of this TV talk. Back to the Call of Duty Circus!!!

Xbox GT: CROWSS_LT1
post #3068 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks. Yeah, I started doing some research on clouds and flashlights. I'd never been to the flat panel forums here as I focus mostly on my projector for picture quality. I bought a 50" kuro a few years ago for the family room and had never owned an LCD until a month ago. I'm going to get a 65" Panny plasma for the new family room and move the kuro to our bedroom and will not be doing any critical viewing on the big Sharp. I just want a big tv down there for football and gaming. Anything I care about picture quality on will be viewed in the theater or on a plasma.

post #3069 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowSS View Post

Enough of this TV talk. Back to the Call of Duty Circus!!!

That is awesome!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #3070 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just remember; the larger screen sizes will likely have much higher input lag and less pixel density (ie. less "smooth"). Just some things to consider if you're serious about gaming. That's why most competitive Xbox gamers use 24-27 inch PC monitors with ~2ms input lag.

I game on an older Sony Bravia 32" 1080p LCD and it works nicely. Of course I'm sitting at a desk about 3 feet from the monitor, so it depends on your application as well.

XBL: Drunkn Joker
post #3071 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:

Thanks. Yeah, I started doing some research on clouds and flashlights. I'd never been to the flat panel forums here as I focus mostly on my projector for picture quality. I bought a 50" kuro a few years ago for the family room and had never owned an LCD until a month ago. I'm going to get a 65" Panny plasma for the new family room and move the kuro to our bedroom and will not be doing any critical viewing on the big Sharp. I just want a big tv down there for football and gaming. Anything I care about picture quality on will be viewed in the theater or on a plasma.

If you are serious about implementing a theater, I strongly recommend going with a projector and screen. I can help advise if interested. $3k buys you a VERY nice screen and DLP/LCD projector.

I guess if gaming is THAT important, more than having parties with football on and watching blurays, then maybe consider a TV.

I play on a 120" projection screen and the "lag" is 100% from the game/connection not the equipment when properly installed and calibrated.

I also can see how you could be a bit better by playing on a small screen, but do what pleases you I guess. If gaming is your end all be all hobby like it seems many on here it is (by the sheer amount of time devoted online), then maybe I'm way off on what I see the priority of a theater to be.
post #3072 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:

Thinking 65" panny plasma for the family room too. Let me know which model you go with. I value your opinion.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #3073 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerOmaha View Post

If you are serious about implementing a theater, I strongly recommend going with a projector and screen. I can help advise if interested. $3k buys you a VERY nice screen and DLP/LCD projector.

I guess if gaming is THAT important, more than having parties with football on and watching blurays, then maybe consider a TV.

I play on a 120" projection screen and the "lag" is 100% from the game/connection not the equipment when properly installed and calibrated.

I also can see how you could be a bit better by playing on a small screen, but do what pleases you I guess. If gaming is your end all be all hobby like it seems many on here it is (by the sheer amount of time devoted online), then maybe I'm way off on what I see the priority of a theater to be.
I've had a projection setup for the last 10 years or so. I've gone through 9 projectors in that time with most technologies (CRT, LCD, DLP & LCOS). I currently have an RS35 with a 130" wide 2.35:1 AT screen. It will go into my home theater which I will get Dennis Erskine to design for me in the new house. I'm waiting to see what the Red projector is like before thinking about upgrading. My RS35 still throws out the best image I've seen yet on any display.

This big tv will be strictly for my 2 channel stereo room. I've got some Magnepan 3.7's that will be going in there with some decent electronics and the room will be focused mostly on great two channel sound. I'd rather game and watch football outside of the theater for a few reasons. I don't really want to sit in the bat cave to game or watch football and I don't want to waste the calibration and bulb life on my good projection set up on gaming. Also, I don't think the JVC RS35 has the best input lag and, while it throws a phenomenal picture for movies, I'd like a bit brighter for gaming and sports.

post #3074 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Thinking 65" panny plasma for the family room too. Let me know which model you go with. I value your opinion.

Will do Daekwan. I'm still a month off from moving but if you ever come down to Colorado Springs, let me know. We can grab fruitless and hit the pub.

post #3075 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Quote:

Will do Daekwan. I'm still a month off from moving but if you ever come down to Colorado Springs, let me know. We can grab fruitless and hit the pub.
I have the 65VT50 and can not speak highly enough of it. Absolutely beautiful rich yet natural color and very inky blacks. Closest thing you will get to a Kuro Elite in current production.

My Rig

post #3076 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 1429
I'm looking forward to putting a theater when I eventually get a house....but I'm really anal about black level and I can't stand ghosting. Is there any kind of PJ that can compete with a good plasma?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3077 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've had a projection setup for the last 10 years or so. I've gone through 9 projectors in that time with most technologies (CRT, LCD, DLP & LCOS). I currently have an RS35 with a 130" wide 2.35:1 AT screen. It will go into my home theater which I will get Dennis Erskine to design for me in the new house. I'm waiting to see what the Red projector is like before thinking about upgrading. My RS35 still throws out the best image I've seen yet on any display.

This big tv will be strictly for my 2 channel stereo room. I've got some Magnepan 3.7's that will be going in there with some decent electronics and the room will be focused mostly on great two channel sound. I'd rather game and watch football outside of the theater for a few reasons. I don't really want to sit in the bat cave to game or watch football and I don't want to waste the calibration and bulb life on my good projection set up on gaming. Also, I don't think the JVC RS35 has the best input lag and, while it throws a phenomenal picture for movies, I'd like a bit brighter for gaming and sports.

After I had typed all that I had the feeling you were one of the few in here that is actually into home theater. Woops! Great setup and the Erksine Group choice is great-I plan on doing that for the next house as well. Do you run any subs with your Magnepans or do you not listen to much stuff with <40hz sound?

Obligatory COD discussion point so I don't get 'Don'ed: The lag last night was the worst I've ever experienced in BOps2 to this point. The diarrhea of the mouth returned in strong form.
post #3078 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

I have the 65VT50 and can not speak highly enough of it. Absolutely beautiful rich yet natural color and very inky blacks. Closest thing you will get to a Kuro Elite in current production.

I'm looking at that one or the GT.

post #3079 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Not to turn this into theater talk but how is this set in a moderately bright room, like with windows? That's my biggest issue going to plasma. I'm looking to replace a 55" and a 61" DLP with something. To tie it in, the 55" is for gaming. biggrin.gif

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #3080 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm no theater guru for sure but from the reviews and the threads here I thought the general consensus was that the GT series was kind of the needless series of the bunch. Either go ST or VT but there's really not a need for the GT's. I'm sure someone can correct or confirm this.

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #3081 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Not to turn this into theater talk but how is this set in a moderately bright room, like with windows? That's my biggest issue going to plasma. I'm looking to replace a 55" and a 61" DLP with something. To tie it in, the 55" is for gaming. biggrin.gif

How about you tie it in by buying a decent gaming headset instead of 2 TV's wtf

Xbox Live/PSN: bucwylde23

Daekwan: What makes a grown man want to be a troll like this?

coyote_5: You know who's cool and doesn't know it? Bucwylde. Jus' sayin.

post #3082 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucwylde23 View Post

lol. Why don't you mind your own business punk?

post #3083 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'm looking forward to putting a theater when I eventually get a house....but I'm really anal about black level and I can't stand ghosting. Is there any kind of PJ that can compete with a good plasma?

Quote:

I'm no theater guru for sure but from the reviews and the threads here I thought the general consensus was that the GT series was kind of the needless series of the bunch. Either go ST or VT but there's really not a need for the GT's. I'm sure someone can correct or confirm this.

Quote:

I'd get the VT series if I were to buy and just wanted the best.

If you are building a home theater, and it will be used as most HT are intended to be...get a screen and projector. That is the point, right? To replicate/replace/best what you go to the theater for...the experience. You want your whole view to be just the screen. You want the audio/visuals to blow your mind literally and figuratively. I don't WANT to go to the theater anymore. My setup demolishes IMAX sound and evens the video quality. I wish I had a larger screen (like you always say after you buy the biggest you think you need).

As far as video quality.....a bunch of factors.. Will/Is your room light controlled? That is, do you have any light coming in. What type of material will you be watching? Just films, or a mix of HD TV/sports too?

The RS35 jeans spoke of is one that I would think is even to the best out there. If set up correctly (cabling and settings do matter) you can even your plasma experience and the cost can be the same or even less.

Who needs a headset when you have a room dedicated for surround sound!

/Windows kill a plasma TV. If you can't control the light I think you have to go LED.
post #3084 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

lol. Why don't you mind your own business punk?

I will never leave you alone tongue.gif

post #3085 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I will never leave you alone tongue.gif

Man. Laggggggggggggggggggggggggg last night. Like really lagggggggggggggggggE.
post #3086 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 03:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm with buc on this one.
Quote:

Brightness is fine however I have several windows directly facing my TV which with the blinds open do throw same glare on the panel. I use the THX Brightroom setting durring the day which is perfect and for bluray and other serious viewing I use the ISF settings. There are also some really great settings posted in the VT50 settings thread. I haven't taken any worthy photos to update my HT pic lined in my sig but you get the idea:

AppleMark

Quote:

After I had typed all that I had the feeling you were one of the few in here that is actually into home theater. Woops! Great setup and the Erksine Group choice is great-I plan on doing that for the next house as well. Do you run any subs with your Magnepans or do you not listen to much stuff with <40hz sound?

Obligatory COD discussion point so I don't get 'Don'ed: The lag last night was the worst I've ever experienced in BOps2 to this point. The diarrhea of the mouth returned in strong form.
Agreed, it was craptastic last night!

My Rig

post #3087 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 03:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Man. Laggggggggggggggggggggggggg last night. Like really lagggggggggggggggggE.

post #3088 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

post #3089 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

So is anyone NOT buying the map pack?

#don'twanttogivetheevilcorporationlagcreatormoremoney
post #3090 of 4672 Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 35
I bought the 50" GT right after Black Friday. While the VT is superior in every way, the price is not. We've already got a 60" upstairs, so I had to keep this under budget with the wife haha. Anyways, I paid $1,050 for the GT and got a free panny blu-ray player included. The VT will run close to 2k for the 55, while the 65 is around 2,500.

And whoever posted that the GT should be ignored needs to read up. There's a few very important things that the GT does better (and offers) that the ST doesn't.

Highly recommend the GT, even though I play on an Asus 22" monitor.

"I am the Lizard King, I can do anything"

XBL - TheLizardKingII

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Call Of Duty Black Ops 2 , Call Of Duty Black Ops Ii

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page