Turtle beach headset help! - AVS Forum
Xbox Area > Turtle beach headset help!
wallstreet123456's Avatar wallstreet123456 06:39 AM 04-07-2012
I just bought a Denon 1912 receiver and Hooke the Xbox hdmi directly to the receiver now we only hear chat over the headset and no gaming sounds everything is connected as before with the optical cable going into the TV.

If I hook Xbox directly to the TV the gaming sound comes through the headset again.

When I set hdmi audio out for amp to tv I get the sound to come through headset but nothing comes through my speakers anymore

Please, I hope there is an easy fix.

Steven

cubdenno's Avatar cubdenno 07:47 PM 04-07-2012
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Mad+Catz...&skuId=1991566

had to get this when I switched to HDMI.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 08:54 PM 04-07-2012
Doing a search, hdmi can only do stereo on the xbox 360, so your only choice is to continue to use optical to get 5.1, along with the third party device that the OP linked. Until someone else can confirm this I would say that Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one.
wallstreet123456's Avatar wallstreet123456 06:29 AM 04-08-2012
Sorry but that link does not work can you tell me the name of the product?
emartins's Avatar emartins 07:08 AM 04-08-2012
Link doesnt work because Best Buy is closed for the holiday and they are doing maintence on the site.

So do you have the HDMI going to the receiver and the optical going from the xbox to the tv? How do you have the turtle beach connected? You should have the HDMI going to the receiver than the optical going to the turtle beach. If you have a Xbox S then you dont need the adapter in the link as they separated the 2. If you have an older one then you would need the adapter so that the hdmi can fit.

@gregzoll - When I had HDMI connected through my xbox it did 5.1 just fine. Not sure where you found that info.
gregzoll's Avatar gregzoll 07:34 AM 04-08-2012
I did a quick search, but the info was dated, so that is why I stated that others need to confirm the info.
emartins's Avatar emartins 08:19 AM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

I did a quick search, but the info was dated, so that is why I stated that others need to confirm the info.

You did say that. Sorry should of read the whole thing.
bbexperience's Avatar bbexperience 10:43 AM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post

Doing a search, hdmi can only do stereo on the xbox 360, so your only choice is to continue to use optical to get 5.1, along with the third party device that the OP linked. Until someone else can confirm this I would say that Microsoft really screwed the pooch on this one.

The 360 does 5.1 over HDMI just fine.
bbexperience's Avatar bbexperience 10:48 AM 04-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 View Post

I just bought a Denon 1912 receiver and Hooke the Xbox hdmi directly to the receiver now we only hear chat over the headset and no gaming sounds everything is connected as before with the optical cable going into the TV.

If I hook Xbox directly to the TV the gaming sound comes through the headset again.

When I set hdmi audio out for amp to tv I get the sound to come through headset but nothing comes through my speakers anymore

Please, I hope there is an easy fix.

Steven

Reconfigure your setup.

Xbox HDMI -> Receiver, Receiver HDMI Out -> TV.
Xbox Optical -> Headset. If you have an older Xbox, you'll need the adapter. If you have an Xbox S you don't need it because it has separate ports.
wallstreet123456's Avatar wallstreet123456 02:20 PM 04-08-2012
XBOX hdmi goes to receiver and receiver to tv the tv optical goes to headset but only chat can be heard over headset not gaming sounds, we have XBOX elite
PlatinumAssassin's Avatar PlatinumAssassin 03:37 PM 04-08-2012
Quote:

XBOX hdmi goes to receiver and receiver to tv the tv optical goes to headset but only chat can be heard over headset not gaming sounds, we have XBOX elite

Your HDMI connection to the Reciever to the TV is correct.

However, you need to plug your optical audio cable into the XBOX itself and the head set. Seeing as you have an Elite, you do not have the port that'll allow you to plug an optical cable into your Xbox, therefore you need the adapter mentioned earlier that will make that port for you on your console.

You need this:

reviews.bestbuy.com/3545/1991566/mad-catz-headset-adapter-for-xbox-360-reviews/reviews.htm

When BB's site is up and running again just type that SKU into their search bar and you'll get a bit more info on it.
bbexperience's Avatar bbexperience 08:00 PM 04-08-2012
Quote:

Remove the optical from the TV. Don't run optical to the TV at all. You don't need it. Just hook it up exactly as I described before using the adapter.
wallstreet123456's Avatar wallstreet123456 06:29 AM 04-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

Remove the optical from the TV. Don't run optical to the TV at all. You don't need it. Just hook it up exactly as I described before using the adapter.

BB,

My son has an xbox elite, do I need the adapter?

I am confused by the hook up you mentioned for the XBOX and optical cable (sorry, this is for my son and I am not very good with this)

So I take the optical cable out of the tv and where does that end of the optical cable get placed?
JChin's Avatar JChin 06:56 AM 04-09-2012
Quote:

BB,

My son has an xbox elite, do I need the adapter?

I am confused by the hook up you mentioned for the XBOX and optical cable (sorry, this is for my son and I am not very good with this)

So I take the optical cable out of the tv and where does that end of the optical cable get placed?

Hi wallstreet123456, removed optical end from tv and connect to the adapter (like this one here). The other end of the adapter connects to the xbox 360.

Xbox 360 -> adaptor -> optical cable -> headset
wallstreet123456's Avatar wallstreet123456 06:58 AM 04-09-2012
So the XBOX Elite needs this adapter?

Are there other brands or only this one?
bbexperience's Avatar bbexperience 09:14 AM 04-09-2012
Quote:

Are there other brands or only this one?

I'm sure there are a bunch of generics and there's the official Xbox one. The one JChin linked to is only $5 and has pretty decent reviews so I'd just pick that one up.

But yes, that adapter (the fat gold colored end) goes into the Xbox. The optical will connect FROM that adapter TO the headset. Right now it sounds like you're going from the Xbox to the TV and from the TV to the headset. So, with this, you're eliminating the TV from the chain. You're just going straight from the Xbox to the headset for the optical. You'll leave the HDMI part alone. You've already got that correct.
wallstreet123456's Avatar wallstreet123456 09:20 AM 04-09-2012
Thank you all for your help.
JChin's Avatar JChin 10:09 AM 04-09-2012
Quote:

Yes, but if I remember correctly the Elite Xbox 360 came with the adaptor or you purchase the Elite used.
wallstreet123456's Avatar wallstreet123456 10:13 AM 04-09-2012
I will have to look in the box. Thanks for letting me know
wallstreet123456's Avatar wallstreet123456 05:56 AM 04-10-2012
Thanks to everyone on this forum for their help. I was able to get the headset working with the adapter. I had to buy one since I could not fins the one that came with the Xbox.
Up
Mobile  Desktop