No Fez thread? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 50 Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got this game yesterday. I like it alot. Its hard to find your way around. But real fun so far. Anyone else playing this game?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
Been playing for a few hours this morning. I really want to like it more, but it just feels so pretentious. It doesn't have the charm of most indie games like super meat boy. The art style isnt really doing it for me. The cleverness of rotating the world seems to have worn off in about 10 minutes. There's no real challenge to it, it feels more like an adventure game than a platformer, and the world just isn't that interesting once you get over the gimmick. Now I just feel like I'm kinda dragging my way through. I'm at the point where I seemingly need to start backtracking to a huge degree...and I just don't know if I can do it. I feel like I've already seen everything the game possibly has to offer.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #3 of 50 Old 04-14-2012, 03:05 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So I put a few more hours in and....I just can't do it anymore. Fez is a clever game. Very clever. But make no mistake...this is not a modern game with retro styling, this is a retro game, period. Its the type of game that they stopped making a long time ago because IMO, its just not very fun.

post #4 of 50 Old 04-14-2012, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 685
i fully disagree, i love the game, it is nice to have a game that makes you think (i also love portal and braid), i am enjoying this more than most 60 dollar games that are out now... great game...
post #5 of 50 Old 04-14-2012, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I'm having a lot of fun with it so far, but I'm running out of new places to explore, and I know I'm missing a ton of secrets.

I think I've got something like 18 cubes so far. It's a little confusing to navigate around the different areas, but once you get used to it it's not that bad.

But I'm a little concerned that once I visit all the areas then I'm going to just end up stuck.

I was looking at the map and some of the rooms are outlined gold, and others are white though. Does the gold mean that I've found everything in a room?

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #6 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 685
yes gold means you got everything in the room, nothing else to get.
post #7 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 04:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

i fully disagree, i love the game, it is nice to have a game that makes you think (i also love portal and braid), i am enjoying this more than most 60 dollar games that are out now... great game...

Yeah, I'm totally getting that I might be in the minority on this. It reminds me a lot of Zelda 1 for the NES, in which you're given very few, very sparse clues to progress...to the point where it's almost impossible to figure it all out on your own without banging your head against it from hours. Before you can even figure out the solution to the puzzles, you have to figure out what the puzzle is, and the clues needed to solve it are probably nowhere near the puzzle. You'll almost certainly need to break out paper and pen. Its the kind of obtuse design that I just can't get behind anymore. Back in the day it's the kind of game that would have us trading clues in the playground - I don't think that can quite be replicated on the internet when a FAQ with the answers is a click away. Ending up doing that for one puzzle and I saw how absurdly long that would have taken to figure out with no guidance. I mean don't get me wrong, it was ridiculously clever and all....but the reward was something equally opaque that I have no idea what to do with.

And then between the puzzles you have very little action or anything to keep you occupied, just trudging through the levels, finding some random signs and symbols that might be a clue to something, somewhere....I dunno, I just don't have the patience for it. The puzzles might have been interesting if the platforming didn't get in the way (like portal), and they could have done some interesting things with the platforming within a more traditional level structure. I just don't think it comes together.

Even though they're vastly different games, what made super meat boy great was that it took old school precision gaming and wrapped it around modern design. It got rid of all the extraneous stuff like power ups, life counters, delays, repetition of stuff you've already done, etc. Gone was all the frustration and tedium you had to endure in order to play those older games, and it was awesome. Fez takes a more modern design and applies old school sensibilities to it. What could be tightly streamlined platforming and puzzling becomes a tedious and arduous adventure.

post #8 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Can someone explain to me how to use the warps the right way.. It says to pick a map and warp. I just keep going back and fourth between two places. I mess with the map but it does nothing. I like the game still. Just need breaks from it after awhile
post #9 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick View Post

Can someone explain to me how to use the warps the right way.. It says to pick a map and warp. I just keep going back and fourth between two places. I mess with the map but it does nothing. I like the game still. Just need breaks from it after awhile

Depending on which side you're turned to, you'll go to a different area. I've only seen 3 warp things so far, but I assume there's 5.

I'm actually at the part that I suspected I'd be at; where I've got everything I can see to get (28 cubes total), but can't see how to proceed further.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen glimpses of how to proceed, like a bunch of things that look like a hidden code, a door I can't unlock until 32 cubes, a couple sections that look like there's something under water, another door that I can't open that only shows at certain times, but I'm at the point where I'm waiting for something to click before I can go any further, and I'm not sure aimless wandering between areas is even helping any more.

post #10 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

Depending on which side you're turned to, you'll go to a different area. I've only seen 3 warp things so far, but I assume there's 5.

I'm actually at the part that I suspected I'd be at; where I've got everything I can see to get (28 cubes total), but can't see how to proceed further.

That doesn't mean I haven't seen glimpses of how to proceed, like a bunch of things that look like a hidden code, a door I can't unlock until 32 cubes, a couple sections that look like there's something under water, another door that I can't open that only shows at certain times, but I'm at the point where I'm waiting for something to click before I can go any further, and I'm not sure aimless wandering between areas is even helping any more.

Well for my part, there was definitely a point where I had an epiphany and it all started to click. If you don't stumble upon certain things and really sit there and decipher what you see, you'll probably be forever baffled. I will say there is literally no way you're getting the complete experience without taking notes and busting out pen and paper. This is so integral to the experience, they honestly should tell you that up front.

I "beat" the game, and while I guess you could say I sorta came around a bit on it towards the end, some of the puzzles are just SO opaque. It's cleverness grew on me and wore on me in equal parts.

There's a thin line between helping and spoiling in a game like this, although it also seems like the kind of game no single person can figure out on their own. So I guess if you want some clues, ask away, and I'll put up spoiler tags?

post #11 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

I actually have a few small notes, but I just read something on the Gamefaqs board about something which helped me a ton:

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Spoiler  
I had realized that certain symbols and level designs were tetris shapes, and had deconstructed them into their parts. I actually have a drawing of a certain area that I already broke it up like that... and I remember seeing a chalkboard that had something similar on it, but I didn't realize to translate that into a code in the game.

Similarly, I had seen that there is a door behind the waterfall, but couldn't figure out how to open it, but the two are related.

post #12 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 09:48 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I actually have a few small notes, but I just read something on the Gamefaqs board about something which helped me a ton:

Spoiler  
I had realized that certain symbols and level designs were tetris shapes, and had deconstructed them into their parts. I actually have a drawing of a certain area that I already broke it up like that... and I remember seeing a chalkboard that had something similar on it, but I didn't realize to translate that into a code in the game.

Similarly, I had seen that there is a door behind the waterfall, but couldn't figure out how to open it, but the two are related.

You're on the right track, but you've only scratched the surface.

I will say....dont bang your head against any puzzle for too long. If you get to the point that it just literally seems impossible or makes zero sense, its probably not something you can figure out on your own. You'll need to find more clues elsewhere. Then you'll come back to it with new eyes and notice something you didn't before, and it'll click pretty quickly. Regarding that specifically...you'll find a certain room (hopefully), and those symbols will make sense. Probably. If you're paying attention. And you have pen and paper.

Or I could just straight up tell you.

Is this good gaming? I dunno...there's something engaging about it, something I haven't experienced in a game since I was a little kid.

post #13 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I figured that out, got the 32 cube door, and then started a new game plus and proceeded to get stuck again, so I quit for a while.

post #14 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I figured that out, got the 32 cube door, and then started a new game plus and proceeded to get stuck again, so I quit for a while.

I'm up to 62 cubes now. I won't lie, a good portion of those are from looking up the answers, but....fez is too clever for its own good. I'd say that the vast majority of what I ended up having to look up would be nearly impossible to figure out on your own. Like seriously, some of this stuff is SO ridiculous...it requires leaps of logic beyond human capacity. Clearly some of this was intended for people to collaborate on, but I'm just not a fan of that part of the design. A good puzzle game (portal being the perfect example) should give you all the tools you need. Fez just doesn't. Many, many things are locked to you until you start new game plus, but how could anyone possibly know that? Theres no indication of this whatsoever. Wtf kind of nonsense is that?

Ultimately I think this should have been a much cooler game. The potential was there but it's too far up its own ass.

post #15 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a question. Im like half way thru the game I guess. I opened 2 of those doors that you need cubes to open (not the last one yet). I go into both of those rooms and feel like theres nothing to do. Got a few more cubes. Went into all the doors got some more cubes then was done... ??? am I missing something in those rooms? Theres nothing to do it seems
post #16 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekinMerrick View Post

I have a question. Im like half way thru the game I guess. I opened 2 of those doors that you need cubes to open (not the last one yet). I go into both of those rooms and feel like theres nothing to do. Got a few more cubes. Went into all the doors got some more cubes then was done... ??? am I missing something in those rooms? Theres nothing to do it seems

Look at the map (back button). Unless the room you're in is ringed by gold, there's something in there you haven't discovered. You'll probably find this is the case for a whole lot of rooms you've already visited.

Those particular rooms are sorta dead ends....but there's almost certainly a ton of other stuff you missed along the way.

post #17 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
Just started playing this tonight. Only an hour or so in, but I'm loving it. Seems to be causing some divided opinions (among critics and gamers). Not surprising, considering how much attention it's gotten prior to release.

I really don't think Fez was ever meant to be a game for everyone. I'll be interested to see how/if my opinion changes as I progress. I'm not someone who uses faqs or hints, so I'm curious to see how "fair" the game is to someone like me who is pathologically stubborn and attentive (i.e. OCD ).

I've been disappointed by the recent spat of "indie" puzzle platformers because I've found them stylish and innovative, but rather easy (Braid, Portal, Limbo, etc).

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
post #18 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Fez takes a more modern design and applies old school sensibilities to it. What could be tightly streamlined platforming and puzzling becomes a tedious and arduous adventure.

A few more hours and I'm starting to agree with you. I just don't see where this is going. There aren't any real "puzzles" to speak of, just ways of exploiting the basic mechanics. It's a great idea with excellent sense of style (and amazing music), but there's no there there. I keep waiting and waiting for some clever, challenging puzzle, but I have yet to see one. It's just about going from A to B to Z to B to C to F to Y.

post #19 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

I'm curious to see how "fair" the game is to someone like me who is pathologically stubborn and attentive (i.e. OCD ).

I found rooms later on that demonstrated stuff that I had trouble with, so it should be possible to figure mostly everything out without a guide. Some of it is really, really obtuse if you don't know what you're looking for, but it's possible.

Let's put it this way... none of them are as bad as having to stand on a cloud for an hour to get a damn star, but there's definitely a couple things that you really have to pay attention to (that I missed) for the anti-cubes.

For example,
Spoiler  
I'd have never noticed that damn fox and dog myself.

post #20 of 50 Old 04-15-2012, 11:37 PM

Liked: 17
Love or hate it, I'm just jealous you all can play it! My game crashes at receiving the fez and I haven't been able to progress any further. Waiting for a patch... Whenever that comes

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #21 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 03:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I found rooms later on that demonstrated stuff that I had trouble with, so it should be possible to figure mostly everything out without a guide. Some of it is really, really obtuse if you don't know what you're looking for, but it's possible.

Let's put it this way... none of them are as bad as having to stand on a cloud for an hour to get a damn star, but there's definitely a couple things that you really have to pay attention to (that I missed) for the anti-cubes.

For example,
* SPOILER *

You say that now. .

Spoiler  
The tetromino code I figured out on my own. Decided after that I didn't want to spend days looking up the alphabet and numbers. Didn't notice the fox and dog the first time either.

Many of the puzzles are straightforward, but most require you to know something very specific before you can literally even begin solving them. But there's NO WAY to know if you're ready or not. Eventually I got to a point where I'd bang my head against a puzzle for exactly 5 minutes before I looked it up. Half the time, it was almost impossible or literally undoable, the other half I probably could have figured out...but there's no indication what you're dealing with. I was annoyed at the impossible puzzles, and annoyed that the solvable puzzles didnt set themselves apart enough so that I didn't ruin them.

It's poor design.

post #22 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 05:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

A few more hours and I'm starting to agree with you. I just don't see where this is going. There aren't any real "puzzles" to speak of, just ways of exploiting the basic mechanics. It's a great idea with excellent sense of style (and amazing music), but there's no there there. I keep waiting and waiting for some clever, challenging puzzle, but I have yet to see one. It's just about going from A to B to Z to B to C to F to Y.

The puzzles are definitely there. There are some dedicated "puzzle rooms" - those are often the the impossible variety that require several leaps out logic that the game doesn't allude to at all. Some rooms may appear to be puzzle rooms but actually aren't, theyre just useless until you reach a certain point. The vast majority of the anticubes will come from the overworld, and noticing something about the environment. But that's a matter of generally knowing very specific things ahead of time in order to make sense of it, and even then, you're still going to need pen and paper to assist you.

Let me put it this way...in metroid youll find an impossible to reach ledge...the game has taught you from the very start you'll eventually find an item that will enable you to backtrack and go down some previously unavailable path. Its a very direct relationship there. In fez, IF (and that's a big if) you're very, very observant, you'll figure something out, and then shall we say you're armed with a "knowledge item". This will then allow you to backtrack and solve certain puzzles you probably didn't notice before, and which in turn *may* lead you to the next epiphany.

The difference is that since its knowledge in your head and not an item in game, the game doesn't officially recognize that you know it. The game has an indicator that a secret is in a room, but what the game really needs is an indicator that says "there's a secret in this room, but you can't find it yet, so don't waste your time". Also, you're still subject to a lot of tedious busywork to mentally process something a lot of the time. A modern game would spare you that trouble once you've proven you know it. Then you could enjoy yourself exploring and more organically discover the world and it's secrets, instead of dead ends and paperwork.

post #23 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

The difference is that since its knowledge in your head and not an item in game, the game doesn't officially recognize that you know it. The game has an indicator that a secret is in a room, but what the game really needs is an indicator that says "there's a secret in this room, but you can't find it yet, so don't waste your time". Also, you're still subject to a lot of tedious busywork to mentally process something a lot of the time. A modern game would spare you that trouble once you've proven you know it. Then you could enjoy yourself exploring and more organically discover the world and it's secrets, instead of dead ends and paperwork.

That must be why I haven't noticed many actual puzzles in the game, and why I've been sort of let down by the game. Sounds like the puzzles are there, but they're mostly not necessary. And not just that, they don't really advertise themselves as "puzzles." I was able to get the first anti-cube only because it pretty much advertises itself from the get-go.

I have found a few block puzzles. Definitely a real challenge, but they're really finicky.

Not quite sure what to think of the game yet. I'll keep playing.

post #24 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 05:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That must be why I haven't noticed many actual puzzles in the game, and why I've been sort of let down by the game. Sounds like the puzzles are there, but they're mostly not necessary. And not just that, they don't really advertise themselves as "puzzles." I was able to get the first anti-cube only because it pretty much advertises itself from the get-go.

I have found a few block puzzles. Definitely a real challenge, but they're really finicky.

Not quite sure what to think of the game yet. I'll keep playing.

Well...it depends on his much you want to get out of it. The only real difference between 32 and 64 cubes is the ending, which is as abstract and obtuse as the entire game. The normal cubes can all be pretty much found through basic exploration.

post #25 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

Love or hate it, I'm just jealous you all can play it! My game crashes at receiving the fez and I haven't been able to progress any further. Waiting for a patch... Whenever that comes

Uhhhhhh..........
post #26 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Uhhhhhh..........

post #27 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

Yep.
post #28 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 11:28 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Uhhhhhh..........

Oh man. I just... I feel so unbelievably stupid right now. I can't even begin to express it. UGH!

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #29 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh man. I just... I feel so unbelievably stupid right now. I can't even begin to express it. UGH!

Lol it's ok, you'll have plenty more opportunity for that as you play.

I'm guessing you didn't play the demo?

post #30 of 50 Old 04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You're not alone. Because of all the reported bugs and glitches
Spoiler  
I thought that opening "crash" was real, too!

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page