Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Prototype 1 was a mess.

It had it moments, but generally speaking it was all over the place. The graphics were sub-par and coupled with a banal aesthetic, making it fairly routine. The gluttonous leveling system shoveled new skills and power-ups at you at an overwhelming pace, and after 4-5 hours I found it to be, frankly, a pretty stale experience. However it felt like that game had a ton of potential. All someone had to do is work out the pacing of it all.

I'm happy to report Prototype 2 has dial back where it needed to, and improved in many of it's systems.

Graphics
Though it's not going to win any awards, the game is now much more appealing to see in action. Textures are now more defined, there appear to be many more things happening on screen, contemporary visual effects are now in place, and it all happens at a fairly sustainable framerate.

Despite all this, it's probably worth mentioning most characters in the game lack any real character to define them other than "I'M UPSET! BLARGH!". That is to say, there is very little depth to anyone in their design and thought. Is this a surprise? Not sure. Plus the cutscenes appear to be running is a much lower framerate than the actual gameplay segments.

Gameplay
Much like the first one, this game is extremely fast and vicious. However unlike the first one it's very rewarding. Moves are responsive, and gave me a sense of extreme power. Running, jumping, gliding and smashing through things amongst the people in this world made me feel unique. I suppose trashing 57 foes in a matter of seconds helps with that though.

Health is replenished by "absorbing" other people. That is to say, you snatch someone out of the crowd and slurp them up, with tentacles, into your skin. Its disgustingly thrilling every. single. time.

Once the game takes the training wheels off and opens up the city, you're allowed to go wherever--yup, time to party! Seriously, running down the street and up the side of a building to the top, leaping hundreds of feet into the air, snapping into a glide and then air-thrusting as you near the ground and then finally slamming into the ground like a goddamn boss is awesome!

Radical Entertainment has done a wonderful job of dialing back the skill system just enough to keep it rewarding and enticing, and not annoyingly overwhelming like the first.

Side-missions yield gameplay rewards and not just pointless achievements or trophies. For example finding all 5 radio drops (similar to the Satallite Uplinks in iNFAMOUS) will unlock a list of options where you can boost melee damage by 10%, or even jump 10% higher. They're fun to seek out, thanks to the furiously quick gameplay, and make sense to the narrative.

I don't mind cussing all the much, but when it's gratuitous it's annoying. The protagonist makes damn sure he drops the F-bomb in almost every scene, because you know, HE'S REALLY PISSED OFF GUYS!! In fact in one instance where he got frustrated with using a computer he was like "WHAT THE **** MAN, I DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE THIS ****ING THING. THIS ****ING THING SUCKS. ****ING COMPUTERS!!!!!!111ONE".

Ok. ok. We get it. He's upset. I suppose my annoyance with it all is because it just comes across as lazy. There are many other ways to express frustration. How about trying to do it through gameplay? Blah. Tangent.

Conclusion
Anyway, I really do like Prototype 2. The sense of speed and power the game gives you in second to none. inf act I don't think I've ever played a video game that knows how to make you feel like you're completely able to traversing a city within a few moments, and without flying. It's a very good video game.

Side-Tracking Thought
However this one more thing I'd like to share--food for thought really.

At one point in the game I went to slurp up one of the Blackwatch soldiers and he exclaimed "Killing me won't bring back your family Heller!". It was a reminder that my mission was a pointless one--he was right. Though it was a very small morsel of the overall Prototype 2 experience, it was enough to completely take me out of the game. What the hell was I doing? Yes the protagonist was angry, seeking vengeance, but I couldn't help but wonder what the point was. Perhaps all this is a missed opportunity for Activision? What about choice? What about cause and effect? What's happening to all these people I've been slurping up for health? What if this game offered different paths with varying conclusions? Something other than a path filled with the lust for vengeance, blood and power.

It's true, Radical Entertainment and Activision intended to make the video game they made, but like Clint Hocking with Far Cry 2, why not take the opportunity to push farther a flawed game (Prototype 1) into new territory?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Really stoked to play this. I for one didn't mind the graphics being dated on the first one. You could destroy a car and run 15 blocks away turn around and still see a column of smoke from it. Infamous was like a half a block but had way more going on in general so draw distance sucked. The sheer amount of carnage limited the graphic potential of the first and I wouldn't change it. I do hope this looks better while keeping destruction pegged at max.

The first made you into an all powerful god amongst men and tested that toward the end. I also enjoyed capturing the guys who held video logs though it got annoying trying to get them mid mission. Running up a 150 story building and leaping off was awesome too, my 65" tv would cause vertigo at times from that too, the wife lurched every time as well.

I must have spent twice as long running around destroying things and leaping as I did playing. All the fun of GTA with god powers. All in all Infamous may have had more story and better graphics but I played Prototype first and liked it better. Need to go through the first again and refresh on it.
post #3 of 11 Old 04-27-2012, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks for the impressions. I liked the original Prototype, even though it was repetitious. I'll be picking this one up.

-JR
post #4 of 11 Old 04-30-2012, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I played some more over the weekend.

I made it to the second burrough, played roughly 4-6 hours and it's still an incredibly fun game. The side stuff is varied, and a pleasure to participate in. Ability/bonuses continue to unlock at a steady & comfortable pace. It' just a joy to jump around at impossible heights & streak around the cities. I never ever want to fast-travel because I feel like I'd be missing out.

The dialog continues to be annoyingly crass, the conversations drab and the story thin. However it doesn't really matter because I'm not playing it for the story.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Is there a bug in this game on the mission to look for Dr. Samuel Billingsley? I watched several video guide how to find it because he supposed to be more tricky to find. My understanding is unless you use the hunt/scanner to locate him, he cannot be found even you know where he's standing.

I tried several times using hunt/scanner all the way to where he is standing. If done "correctly", he supposed to be wearing blue hazard suit. If I just run to his location, the same person will be wearing yellow hazard suit. But no matter what I do, he will always be wearing yellow hazard suit. From what I saw in each video guide, that location has two hazard suit persons. I also tried to restart the checkpoint, quit and reload from save, but for me, the game is stuck with two yellow hazard suit persons.

Has anyone seen this bug occurring? I rented the game from Redbox and it doesn't come with any code to unlock special contents which are optional. Anyhow, it's a complete waste of the rental since I enjoyed the game up to this point and already wasted several hours trying to find Dr. Samuel Billingsley which proven to be impossible in my gameplay.

Update:
I replayed the game from the beginning on a different Gametag and when I got to the same mission to find Dr. Samuel Billingsley, it's impossible to find the blue hazard suit.

Anyone rented Prototype 2 from Redbox?
post #6 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I didn't rent it but is this early in the game and did you restart in the middle of a mission?

I don't really pay attention to peoples names but I had to get some Dr guy (he was in a blue hazmat and tending to some refuge guy). I got him and started the next part of the mission but had to stop. When I reloaded I had to go back to the truck which then tells me about the same Dr so I figured I had to go get him again, but apparently that part of the mission must have already been marked as complete as he wasn't there and when I looked I actually saw markers for the next two groups of guys I was supposed to get after getting the Dr.

But I guess if you replayed all the way back to the point, that's probably not the issue. But that is the only time I guy I was looking for wasn't there.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-05-2012, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

I didn't rent it but is this early in the game and did you restart in the middle of a mission?

I don't really pay attention to peoples names but I had to get some Dr guy (he was in a blue hazmat and tending to some refuge guy). I got him and started the next part of the mission but had to stop. When I reloaded I had to go back to the truck which then tells me about the same Dr so I figured I had to go get him again, but apparently that part of the mission must have already been marked as complete as he wasn't there and when I looked I actually saw markers for the next two groups of guys I was supposed to get after getting the Dr.

But I guess if you replayed all the way back to the point, that's probably not the issue. But that is the only time I guy I was looking for wasn't there.

Interesting. For me, I already started a new game on another Gamertag and also have same problem. I can never find the blue doctor. I'm very sure I'm looking for the blue doctor at the right place because he stands with crossed arms. On the map, he's at the upper part, almost the center of the map that has "+++", not the lower of the map that has another "+++".

One of the video guide, the gamer was able to stand next to the blue doctor and hunt/scan him. If it's a bug, it's quite odd that I got stuck on two different profile.

Update:
I tried again from where he discovered where the doctor is and kept pressing hunt/scan as he ran all the way to the location where the blue suit doctor supposed to be standing. Doesn't work, only yellow suit guy standing there. I'm quite sure now the game is broken or has a bug that makes it impossible to continue.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

I decided to try by playing the game on another console and not install the game to hard drive.

Same thing I did before, hunt/scan all the way from the truck that discovered Dr. Samuel to his location. Got there and both guys are in yellow suit. Next thing I did prove the game is broken.

I decided to transform back to normal form and caused a panic with everyone there. The yellow suit guy that "supposed" to be Dr. Samuel ran around and then reappear back as blue suit guy. Hunt/scan him but it's clearly the "new" blue suit guy isn't Dr. Samuel. After followed him to a corner and consumed him, no new memory. When I returned to check the other yellow suit guy that normally helping an injury person, he's now also blue suit guy. Hunt/scan and consumed him isn't the right person.

So, how do we explain both yellow suit guys magically turned into blue suit guys after I caused a panic there?

Could it be a copy protection that the game disc somehow failed to pass the check on both of my consoles and the game simply introduced an impossible task to complete? I haven't read about it on any form but the game is still quite new.
post #9 of 11 Old 05-06-2012, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I finally found Dr. Samuel blue suit guy but he's not any where close to where I thought. I know the video guides are free made by IGN, Gamespot or YouTube gamers but I have to say, all those video guides sucked because the players simply recorded their gameplay without any pause and show the large map when they found the targets. Watching the video guides, the tiny live map is next to possible to know where the player is. Sorry to say this but those video guides are just lazy made. Surprising is even IGN and Gamespot main walkthrough did the same thing.

As for Dr. Samuel, I found him by chance wondering around. On the map, it's at the center, all the way to the right. There's a "L" shape but it's fainter on the map. Is this where he's located every time or he moves around?

As for the game, I think it's quite boring compared to the Prototype. It's just looking for someone and consumes the person. Not many large monster to fight up to making deal until Galloway mission which is when I had to return the game.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-10-2012, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

This is bad...just hit this shipped in from Gamefly and I have to shelf it to finish ME3. Popped it in to make sure it worked and was instantly sucked in to the story. I forgot how much I loved the first.
post #11 of 11 Old 09-09-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

This was in every way better than the first, but I like the first better still. Probably because it was the first. One playthrough on normal netted all but two cheevos.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page