Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 40 Old 05-08-2012, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Zath View Post

This system is horribly outdated. Why are they trying to use the 360 as an extender? So people will find other uses for their console. If it becomes a mainstay in the home theater AND a gaming system, its value increases at a time when games have reached their plateau in terms of what they can do on the system. Sony managed to do this with their PS3 from the start - its media capabilities vastly outclassed the 360 until MS started partnering with the companies you mentioned.

When was this console released? November 2005. So it's approaching 7 years old. It has 512 MB of RAM, 10MB of video RAM, and a triple core processor. Hard drives vary in size from the original 20GB to 320GB or 4GB of space. Cutting edge in 2005. By comparison, my 2011 netbook has 1gb of RAM, 256MB of video RAM, 500GB hard drive, and a dual core processor.

Does this mean the system is dead tomorrow? No. But it's widely believed that a new system is on the rise. If that's the case, then development houses are focusing more on that than current systems. It'll be just like when the PS3 was launched - PS2 games were still released, many with the same title as the PS3 but with fewer features/graphics - for $10 or so cheaper. I believe xbox did the same, but I did not follow it much as back then I had a PS2, then PS3.

Meh, last time I checked it's still selling hardware, and games, and subscriptions. People are playing stuff, and MS is turning a profit.

The only ones clamoring for the new system right now are Publishers who think something new will help their dismal, cannibalistic business plans and practices, and the elite hardcore gamers who NEED their shiny, expensive new ball.

Everyone else seems content on buying good games and enjoying them in large numbers, while the other two groups kick and scream that whats out there isn't working anymore.

Cutting that revenue stream short is stupid. Especially since the consoles are hitting their golden periods, where a lot of good stuff is coming out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 Old 05-08-2012, 02:08 PM

Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

I love how you use the word trick. Like As if this isn't an option just like Wi-Fi was an option. No one was tricked or forced like fanboys like to state. You need to get out of this child mentality thinking. It is what it is for what it cost at the time. This is an optional route for consumers. I still don't get why Anyone cares how other strangers spend their money.

Have you ever looked at all your TOS, EULA's, Contracts and other legal speak?

If you read every single line of every one you're supposed to, that you have and will encounter during your life, you'd be dead before you finished.

And not everyone can afford lawyers to do so for themselves.

Tricked is as good a word as any. Yes people should be more responsible, but we're all only human. And using that knowledge of human nature against someone is trickery, when other plan spoken and written methods are available.
post #33 of 40 Old 05-08-2012, 06:00 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

I love how you use the word trick. Like As if this isn't an option just like Wi-Fi was an option. No one was tricked or forced like fanboys like to state. You need to get out of this child mentality thinking. It is what it is for what it cost at the time. This is an optional route for consumers. I still don't get why Anyone cares how other strangers spend their money.

I saw no child mentality as what was stated by the OP. Then again, I read what they stated with a open mind, and their complaints are valid, and I totally agree with the OP, unlike you.
post #34 of 40 Old 05-09-2012, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Have you ever looked at all your TOS, EULA's, Contracts and other legal speak?

If you read every single line of every one you're supposed to, that you have and will encounter during your life, you'd be dead before you finished.

And not everyone can afford lawyers to do so for themselves.

Tricked is as good a word as any. Yes people should be more responsible, but we're all only human. And using that knowledge of human nature against someone is trickery, when other plan spoken and written methods are available.

Technically you can say that about ANY legal disclaimer. Its what any company does to legally protect itself from thousands of possible lawsuits. In this particular context he is absolutely correct. They didnt "trick" anyone. And theres no text in the TOS that you needed to be warned about before choosing rather to buy the $299 or $399 version of the system. I honestly dont even see how you got to this tangent from someone simply choosing which version of the 360 they chose to buy.

MS sold a $399 version with all the bells & whistles. And they also sold a $299 barebones version. The cheaper $299 version had everything you needed to play games, even online. If you so desired, you could add features like a Wifi connector, HDD or Memory card. What was so misleading about that? Ironically the full featured & bare bones concept worked so well.. that even Sony copied it when the PS3 was finally released a year later. Or did you guys magically forget that?

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #35 of 40 Old 05-14-2012, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Technically you can say that about ANY legal disclaimer. Its what any company does to legally protect itself from thousands of possible lawsuits. In this particular context he is absolutely correct. They didnt "trick" anyone. And theres no text in the TOS that you needed to be warned about before choosing rather to buy the $299 or $399 version of the system. I honestly dont even see how you got to this tangent from someone simply choosing which version of the 360 they chose to buy.

MS sold a $399 version with all the bells & whistles. And they also sold a $299 barebones version. The cheaper $299 version had everything you needed to play games, even online. If you so desired, you could add features like a Wifi connector, HDD or Memory card. What was so misleading about that? Ironically the full featured & bare bones concept worked so well.. that even Sony copied it when the PS3 was finally released a year later. Or did you guys magically forget that?

Did I miss something or are you just wrong. Since when did Sony do a barebones PS3 and an advanced version.

Ps2 playback and larger hDD? Don't think it's anywhere near the same concept as Xbox...
post #36 of 40 Old 05-14-2012, 11:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JukeBox360 View Post

Did I miss something or are you just wrong. Since when did Sony do a barebones PS3 and an advanced version.

Ps2 playback and larger hDD? Don't think it's anywhere near the same concept as Xbox...

Yep. You missed something.

Google the original $499 20GB PS3. Read the stats. Learn whats missing.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #37 of 40 Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Hell. I'll even save you some time:

http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/p/PS3Hub.htm

Sony has decided to market two versions of the PS3. One will have a 60GB hard drive, WiFi wireless internet, and the ability to read various flash ram cards. The $499 version features a 20GB drive, and does not have the aforementioned options. Both systems are otherwise the same.

www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #38 of 40 Old 05-15-2012, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

Hell. I'll even save you some time:

http://playstation.about.com/od/ps3/p/PS3Hub.htm

Sony has decided to market two versions of the PS3. One will have a 60GB hard drive, WiFi wireless internet, and the ability to read various flash ram cards. The $499 version features a 20GB drive, and does not have the aforementioned options. Both systems are otherwise the same.

Hmm. I don't ever remember there being a ps3 without built in wi if. That's one thing I had liked about them since day one. Makes me wonder how long they had that version? I had gotten the $499 within a month of the system coming out. I can assure you it has wifi.

Either way. I believe ya. Just find it rather odd due to my personal experience with one.

Nice to see you back though. How long have you been back? I took a little vacation myself. )
Though mine was volunteered lol
post #39 of 40 Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Ya, they liked the concept so much they copied it. They sold a $100 Wi-fi adapter, proprietary HD and proprietary flash memory? The lower end model was just a means to have a cheaper price point, not a Trojan horse to sell to gamers so they can ultimately pay more in MS branded add-ons. Sony originally announced the $499 version without HDMI, but ultimately left it in.

And yes the 20GB model did not have Wi-Fi, but very few of these models actually existed.

Now playing: TLoU PS4
Recently Finished: Watch Dogs, Southpark: Stick of Truth, Infamous: SS
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #40 of 40 Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

Ya, they liked the concept so much they copied it. They sold a $100 Wi-fi adapter, proprietary HD and proprietary flash memory? The lower end model was just a means to have a cheaper price point, not a Trojan horse to sell to gamers so they can ultimately pay more in MS branded add-ons. Sony originally announced the $499 version without HDMI, but ultimately left it in.

And yes the 20GB model did not have Wi-Fi, but very few of these models actually existed.

No Sony originally announced in 2005 a PS3 with 2 HDMIs, 3 Ethernet ports and 6 USBs. Then in 2006 E3 they announced 2 models with one HDMI, one Ethernet and 4 USB ports.

All your pointing out is te difference in strategy and options at the time. Some view the fact the you had no options to upgrade your PS3 with WiFi capability. Again the 360 gave you an option at the time that a lot of consumers were choosing Ethernet regardless. Not sure why you care that MS sold it at the price they did. Consumers chose to buy it if they wanted it. Nothing forced.

Component cables for the 360, no component cables for the PS3. Headset available on the 360, no headset available for the PS3. Achievements to trophies and rumble vs no rumble.

The 5.0 is here
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page