Next-Gen Kinect and the price of Xbox Next - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 05-21-2012, 10:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
You have to imagine that Microsoft is still going to be "all-in" on Kinect with their next system. They have to feel like they are close to getting a taste of the magic that Nintendo enjoyed with the early lifespan of the Wii. Sure, the Kinect that we actually got for the Xbox 360 was scaled back. No on board processor, a weaker camera system that can't track fine details, etc, etc.

Basically, if Microsoft is sticking with Kinect for their next system, then it absolutely has to be packed in with EVERY system, and it has to be SIGNIFICANTLY improved from the previous version. It needs to be able to see fingers, and maybe even a bit of eye tracking and facial expression recognition. The voice recognition needs to improve as well.

Of course, all of this doesn't happen in a vacuum. All of this is going to drive up the cost of the Xbox Next. How much will this NEW version of Kinect cost Microsoft ? What is the maximum price that Microsoft would be willing to charge for their next console? $399 ? $349 ? If so, this new version of Kinect is going to end up being a pretty good percentage of that price, and that's going to affect what they can put into the GPU's raw power.

I'm still wondering if Microsoft could wise up and also include a special wand with every single Xbox Next system, that could be used like a Move controller, but also while using Kinect. I think that's one of the most significant things missing from the Kinect experience. No tactile feel. At least with a wand you can have some rumble, and you can have a trigger button for shooting, and it can know EXACTLY where your hand is, when it's trying to be a tennis racket, baseball bat, table tennis racket, baseball, etc, etc, etc.

(But that's another thread really...)

Anyways, how do you think the next-gen version of Kinect is going to affect the whole Xbox Next pricing/GPU power/ram tradeoff ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Your idea seems plausible and certainly has merit but one thing that I'm curious to see is IF the market will allow another round of high priced consoles. The gaming industry's troubles aside-- one has to wonder what consumers will see in another 'über box'. To me, this last generation was all about new gameplay experiences (Wii), new ways to socialize (Xbox 360), and powerful HD graphics (360 and PS3). And besides the Wii, the real numbers didn't start moving out the door until after the prices dropped! What I'm waiting to see is what the next crop of consoles will offer me as a consumer.

Better HD graphics? Ok, what else you got?
More motion controls? Ugh, ok, wasn't much of a fan the last time... Anything else?
More complexity and higher prices? Nah-- been there done that!

I think the Wii U is a better indication of where the market is headed. Modest HD hardware and an innovative input device which takes advantage of the strengths of your last system (wiimotes).

It's too early to tell what Microsoft and Sony have up their sleeves but it better not be just better graphics and more motion controls.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #3 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 333
Theres one thing that guarantees Kinect will be greatly improved. Isnt the current camera resolution something like 320x240? Maybe even less.. 240x160? Just going up to 640x320 would yield much more accurate results and the ability to pick up things like fingers and eyes.

Faster processor would also mean quicker interpretation by the camera on what you are doing. Either way.. its a win for MS and its fans. Its something unique to the system and something that many of us have personally seen work well. Intergration & game selection hasnt been the greatest (mostly dancing games & some cool stuff in Forza).. but thats what great about next gen. We get to see what next, instead of sticking with what was last generation.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #4 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Price doesn't matter if they don't include 360 compatibility.

Instead, I'll be buying a few 360s so my game library doesn't turn into a coaster supply...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #5 of 5 Old 05-22-2012, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I really, really hope that Microsoft get's over the whole "You are the Controller" thing, and includes some type of small handheld wand, with a trigger and a thumbstick on it.

Just think how that simple measure could dramatically improve immersion in Kinect games. You'd have rumble, which would provide some feedback, and you'd have the thumbstick to control your walking/running/direction. You have the trigger for any gun games. What I want, is a much better Kinect camera, with higher resolution, less input lag, better facial recognition, better voice recognition, base level head tracking, finger detection .....

AND.... a Move type controller.

The thing is, Microsoft has repeatedly stated that they don't want the consumer to have anything in their hands when they play Kinect. YOU ARE THE CONTROLLER. has been their mantra since the launch of Kinect. Still, I think it's obvious that many games would benefit tremendously if Microsoft could have a Wand type device. Baseball, Tennis, Ping-Pong, Volleyball, Shooters, Archery/Swords/Shields, etc, etc.

Probably not going to happen, but I can dream
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page