Incorrect Aspect When Connected To Old 4:3 TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I just bought a used Xbox 360 on Ebay for my sister to use with her old Panasonic analog cathode ray tube TV. I connected it using the included composite cable.

The main use will be as a WMC7 extender.

I got that set up, and so far it is able to stream recorded TV shows from the PC's hard drive to her TV. However, the shows we've tested so far were HD 16:9 recordings. although they stream fine to her set, they are squished rather than having black bars above and below the picture.

I can find no setting in the Xbox to tell it that it is connected to a 4:3 set. I would have thought it would automatically letterbox due to the composite connection - not that many 16:9 analog sets out there.

Is there some setting on the Xbox for this?
Do I need to set this in WMC7? (The OC is connect to it's own 16:9 PC monitor).

There are no aspect settings on the TV, it's just an old, 4:3 analog set.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebo View Post

I just bought a used Xbox 360 on Ebay for my sister to use with her old Panasonic analog cathode ray tube TV. I connected it using the included component cable.

The main use will be as a WMC7 extender.

I got that set up, and so far it is able to stream recorded TV shows from the PC's hard drive to her TV. However, the shows we've tested so far were HD 16:9 recordings. although they stream fine to her set, they are squished rather than having black bars above and below the picture.

I can find no setting in the Xbox to tell it that it is connected to a 4:3 set. I would have thought it would automatically letterbox due to the composite connection - not that many 16:9 analog sets out there.

Is there some setting on the Xbox for this?
Do I need to set this in WMC7? (The OC is connect to it's own 16:9 PC monitor).

There are no aspect settings on the TV, it's just an old, 4:3 analog set.

Thanks.

There are settings on the Xbox to tell it what type of device it's connected to. I think it's under System Settings.

One point to clarify though: In your first sentence you said you've connected it with component cables but later you refer to it as composite. Which is it? I would think that would make a difference as well, as HD can't be transferred over composite.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #3 of 4 Old 05-25-2012, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Thanks for catching that! It is connected with the included COMPOSITE cable (MS does not include a component cable).

I didn't see any setting such as "system settings". I'm pretty good with that kind of thing, but I will look at it again tomorrow.

I did Google it, but didn't find anything beyond other people asking the same question.
post #4 of 4 Old 05-26-2012, 05:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Media Center Extender is the ignored step child of both the Windows and Xbox product teams. Both teams would love for it to just go away. I would not be surprised at all if this was simply broken, with no reasonable fix.

That said, narrow some stuff down. Copy a widescreen xvid to a USB drive and see if that pays correctly.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page