post #61 of 75 Old 10-23-2012, 12:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

I'll pick it up, but I'm finishing up Borderlands and planning on moving to Torchlight 2 as my next game. Doom 3 is next in line after that, I believe.

I picked up Torchlight 2 this weekend too. Seems like a steal for $20! I just haven't been able to tear myself away from Borderlands 2 to really get into it smile.gif

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 75 Old 10-23-2012, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Picked up Doom 3 a few days ago and played thru the opening Mars Colony level last night in 3D. While I've never been good at measuring frames per second by eye, the game moved fluidly and was definitely running at a clip of what felt like about 45fps while in 3D. Visually, everything still looked crisp with minimal jaggies and stairstepping on my 55" passive 3D set. It may be an eight year old engine but it still looks good, can paint some nice environments and is definitely a viable option for 3D on current gen consoles.
post #63 of 75 Old 10-29-2012, 11:50 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Yes Doom BFG looks and sounds astounding on my 65GT50 and HD800 rig. I find it bizarre that you cannot play Doom 1&2 if the disc is installed on the 360?!?! There is a message to actuallu UN-install the game in order to play these! What's up with that?
post #64 of 75 Old 11-02-2012, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Having put in several hours into Doom 3 in 3D, I have to say that this is one of the very very few games that actually physically bothers me to play. When in 3D the game moves almost two quickly and after an hour or so I always have a headache and sometimes even a queasy stomach. No other FPS (2D or 3D) does this to me and I almost wish there was a way to actually lower the frame rate on the game.
post #65 of 75 Old 11-03-2012, 04:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 1376
I wish there was a demo for it....at least the 60 minute timed trial or something. When they choose not to put one out it just tells me they have no faith that the game can sell itself. I really wanna see this different image for each eye 3D for myself. Eurogamer seems to think its only 30fps in 3D, and they're usually on point.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #66 of 75 Old 11-03-2012, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
I imagine they think the brand and memories of Doom 3 will sell itself. Doubt there's no demo out of fear it would turn people away.
post #67 of 75 Old 11-04-2012, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 93
http://penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/demo-daze

The excellent Extra Credits recently covered this. Demos are a terrible proposition for devs and almost always lead to lower sales. It's shocking that anyone even bothers to make them anymore, especially anywhere around launch.
JuiceRocket likes this.
post #68 of 75 Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
yeah, that video is spot on.

I've never seen a demo do a game justice.

When I tried Trials Evolution, the demo ramped up fast in difficulty. I thought the demo was the first few levels. So I reasoned that it must have the same difficulty ramp-up as the original Trials HD. Little did I know that the actual game has a much flatter learning curve than the demo or the original game. Because if Evolution had the same difficulty as the original, I would've never bought it because I didn't even come close to finishing Trials HD.

the Forza Horizon demo didn't give you a sense of why Horizon is a great game (that vast open world beauty).

it's rare to see a demo change a person's view from a don't buy to a buy. it might change it to a maybe but it would need something else like good reviews to change it to a buy. but most likely a demo changes a yes to a no. or even more likely, the person is already enthusiastic for a game and only wants the demo as a sampler until game release.

and if you make the demo big enough, that demo might be enough enjoyment that they don't need the game. what was that 2 hour demo? Or if you make the demo too fun, they may not even need the game. A ton of people play the online multiplayer demo of Split Second over and over again. Even though it's the same track and limited options. But that's enough for them to have fun and never buy it.
post #69 of 75 Old 11-05-2012, 08:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess that's the cynical way to see it. I've bought plenty of games on the strength of a good demo, the darkness 2 and space marine most recently. I thought the Medal of Honor demo made the super low reviews seem like a joke. I've bought countless XBLA/PSN games cause of a demo.

There's no shortage of games with buzz or good reviews, that alone isn't enough to sell me on it. Not for the prices they're asking. I'll eventually pick them up at a reduced price because I'm not willing to take my chances or anyones word with $40-60.

If there had been a demo for dishonored, that might have tipped it, but instead I passed. If their demos aren't doing the games justice, they need to make better demos. Not having one sends a signal to me that they don't think the game can't sell itself...and if it can't, it's usually not worth playing. If I'm not intrigued within an hour, or if I've already lost interest by then....the game isn't worth what they're asking.

post #70 of 75 Old 12-20-2012, 07:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Picked up Doom 3 a few days ago and played thru the opening Mars Colony level last night in 3D. While I've never been good at measuring frames per second by eye, the game moved fluidly and was definitely running at a clip of what felt like about 45fps while in 3D. Visually, everything still looked crisp with minimal jaggies and stairstepping on my 55" passive 3D set. It may be an eight year old engine but it still looks good, can paint some nice environments and is definitely a viable option for 3D on current gen consoles.

There isn't any X360 game that runs at 45 fps. They're mostly locked in at 30 fps with little to no tearing. Or a frame rate that fluctuates between 25 and 30. Some drop to around 20 or less, but that is rare. Other than that, you have certain games locked in at a rock solid 60. I.e. Tekken, Forza, COD etc.

You probably have motion enhancements turned on.
post #71 of 75 Old 12-20-2012, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 93
Techfreak - A) You are blatantly and provable factually incorrect, B) you obviously didn't read the thread before posting, therefore C) you don't understand the conversation at hand.

Until you actually read the thread your input on the subject is of no use as you are speaking from a place of ignorance.

As a quick example of A), COD and Kane and Lynch 2 both target 60fps, but commonly dip to extended stretches of 45fps. That is entirely beside the point though, as we aren't even talking about rendered frame rate in this discussion.

Read, then post. In that order.
post #72 of 75 Old 01-04-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I thought Doom 3 was pretty decent back in the day, so why not run through it again, especially in 3D? Played for about 30 mins....yeah....no.

I dunno how anyone can deal with the way they've implemented the 3D. It's fine when you're standing still, but as soon as you pan around, which is literally 90% of the time played in an FPS - the image flattens only to regain depth as soon as you stop. I find it incredibly jarring....I would have preferred a straight 30 fps instead of this bizarre hybrid nonsense. If your left and right eyes arent synchronized you're not going to see in 3D when you're moving. Ugh. Besides, the game is so dark, with so many bright spots, there's so much ghosting/crosstalk that it wouldn't look good anyway.

But the solid 60 in 2D is fine, and while the gameplay feels dated....I'm just not playing through this without decent checkpoints. Save scumming is crappy enough with quick save/load buttons, I'm not digging into menus to do it. My first death sent me back 5-10 minutes...unacceptable in a modern game, especially without regenerating health. And I'm not dealing with epic 30 second loads every time I die. Which is often, when enemies just appear behind you.

And for some bizarre reason, your flashlight is offset to the left. It's just...disconcerting and odd. Which pretty much sums it all up. Maybe this one was better left in 2003.

post #73 of 75 Old 01-04-2013, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 173
To solve your flashlight location debacle: it's a tactical light attached to your characters chest armor on the left side.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #74 of 75 Old 01-05-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

To solve your flashlight location debacle: it's a tactical light attached to your characters chest armor on the left side.

Be that as it may, it looks ridiculous.

post #75 of 75 Old 01-05-2013, 12:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Funny, I went through the whole game and it never bothered me once. The lack of shadows from it did, though.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page