E3 2012 XBOX 360 Discussion - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 01:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
So we can better and easier discuss the content coming and announced by Microsoft, and keep it out of the future console discussion, I'm creating this thread. If a mod can move the posts out of the other thread into this one, it will help.

Thanks!

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
The part with the most news, the conference, already happened. We also already discussed it in the other thread. You are about 4 hours late with this thread, making it kind of pointless.
post #3 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 573
just read that Forza Horizon is a 30 fps racer which is a major bummer. but they said that because it's 30 fps, they can throw in all the eye candy and have extremely long draw distances... so they say it's not an arcade racer... we'll see. I would've like it to be an open racer with Burnout-like mechanics.

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...rld-race-track

"The team introduced a system that allows for draw distances reaching for miles to retain their visual quality - none of those fog of war distortions, what you see a mile away would look the way it would if you really were driving across state with a view of mountain ridges and canyons up ahead. For this to happen they sacrificed Forza 4's frame rate of 60 frames per second, bumping it down by half. The level of detail would be impossible otherwise, they say."

But despite the suggestion that driving in the setting might prove unrealistic, Fulton emphasizes Forza Horizon is not another arcade racer, arguing the game's physics technology push further into driving realism. Open world racing games of the past have been characterized by their arcade template, he says, leaving all cars to feel identical. "This has this bedrock of really solid physics technology. We call it an action racing game," Fulton says.

"You probably could have gotten away with arcade handling maybe five years ago but now gamers are much more savvy."

Forza Horizon is scheduled to release October 23, 2012.
post #4 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 558
No news of Respawn's upcoming game. Must be for Next Gen systems only...

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #5 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 03:09 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Boo....no sneak peek at respawn's game.

The EA conference was pretty run of the mill. Nothing really mind blowing, just a lot of sequels that look like evolutionary steps on their predecessor. Which isnt a bad thing at all in the case of dead space 3 and crysis 3. I dont know if I want dead space 3 to be coop though. And I just cant get excited for medal of honor though. It seems SO generic, just like the last one.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #6 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 558
Dead Space 3 looked like a action shooter and not a game that scares you. Talk about a disapointment

PSN - Pendragoongp
NNID - Pendragoon
Include your AVS username in the friend request.
post #7 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 03:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PENDRAG0ON View Post

Dead Space 3 looked like a action shooter and not a game that scares you. Talk about a disapointment

Yeah...I dont know how they can pull off a coop single player campaign without removing a lot of the tension of being alone in some terrible place. It just seems like the wrong direction.

You can never really tell how an entire game plays out from a short little demo, but it seems like if its truly going to be a coop campaign, you need to have a partner all the way through.

post #8 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Yeah...I dont know how they can pull off a coop single player campaign without removing a lot of the tension of being alone in some terrible place. It just seems like the wrong direction.

You can never really tell how an entire game plays out from a short little demo, but it seems like if its truly going to be a coop campaign, you need to have a partner all the way through.

L4D1 with friends is still a scary game on higher difficulties when the zombies swarm. It can be done.
post #9 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Well, looking at MS's conference, nothing really blew me away. Halo 4 looks like it will be a decent game, but it will definitely miss that Bungie feel that most of us took for granted. What it gains in visual quality it might loose in personality.

Smart Glass looks really interesting, but I'm curious about lag. Somebody was saying that the tablet would send info and get info from the console via the cloud, same thing with the 360 sending info to the cloud and then the tablet. To me, that sounds like what's actually going on in the game, is going to have quite a bit of a delay, compared to what's going on, on the tablet. Question is... they did show play calling for Madden or something, that seemed to suggest that there wouldn't be this huge delay. They are obviously trying to steal a bit of Nintendo's thunder, kinda like what Sony could do with the Vita, but it's going to be a bit weird, playing games with both a controller and a tablet. Here come the plastic Nyko tablet stands....
post #10 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 03:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

L4D1 with friends is still a scary game on higher difficulties when the zombies swarm. It can be done.

It's a different kind of scary though. L4D is scary in an adrenaline rush kind of way, with the occasional jump scare by a boomer or the ominous approaching of a tank. Dead space built it's scares through immersive atmosphere, dread, the contrast between intense and quiet moments. I feel like itll be harder to get lost and immersed in the world with your bro besides you.

post #11 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:

Or you could all just pile into the nearest corner and hold down the melee button paying attention to direct your swings in opposing directions... Damn, dude, I just beat Left4Dead for you! Lol!

Now left4dead in left4dead 2 on expert... That's some frustrating **** right there. The spitter and charger along with the melee recharge and player no-clip were added in l4d2 specifically to solve the issue of individuals like myself plowing through l4d1 expert with reckless abandon thanks to the aforementioned tactic.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #12 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

The part with the most news, the conference, already happened. We also already discussed it in the other thread. You are about 4 hours late with this thread, making it kind of pointless.

Uh, Mr. Smart Alleck, I was asked to create the thread by someone IN the other thread, so we could keep it out of the future console system thread. You could have just passed the thread by rather than posting that and trying to play moderator, so YOUR post was even more pointless and unnecessary.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #13 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 04:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No news of Respawn's upcoming game. Must be for Next Gen systems only...

Yeah, I'm starting to think they are just going to skip the current gen also, which kinda sucks. On the other hand, perhaps it signals that sometime in 2013 the new consoles will be out because in order to stay in business, they're going to HAVE to put a game out, otherwise they aren't making any moola.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #14 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Agreed, but they've done so well with the last two that I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #15 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Did they announce a price drop for the 360? Been thinking of getting one for games like Forza and Halo 4.

500 gigs FTW.
post #16 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklightning View Post

Did they announce a price drop for the 360? Been thinking of getting one for games like Forza and Halo 4.

so many sales and deals going on, it's like it's already been price reduced.

heck, if you're short on money, go for the $99 deal. you're only paying $40-60 more than if you paid regular price for the console over 2 years which works out to be less than $2/month extra to get that $99 deal.
post #17 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 04:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:

Yeah-- I've been worried about this since my first (of several) play throughs of dead space 2. While I enjoyed the increased combat ability in dead space 2 I'm also keenly aware that the game was significantly less scary then the first. While both games rely a little too heavily on jump scares as opposed to real horror and dread the second one throws all foreboding to the wind and plunges you head first into action-shooter territory. Funny, the only sequence I found effective in dead space 2 is the level you return to some 'familiar haunts'-- showing that the environment really is THAT important to a good horror game.

I've made the comparison so many times it's becoming tired but I really think it applies here: dead space is very much like the alien movies. Alien, like dead space, focuses a lot on isolation and using the environment to maintain a constant sense of tension through out. Aliens, like dead space 2, perhaps realizing that the monsters would likely STOP being scary around the half way point of the story decides to throw down and exist more as an action experience.

Both games are personal favorites of mine but if I had the choice I'd like to see dead space 3 become a more visceral and frightening experience. It's common in the video games industry (or any industry, really) to give the fans more of what made the earlier game successful: more characters, more guns, more enemies, more moves, more armor... more of the same. While I can't really blame dead space if this is the direction it chooses my personal sentiment would be to strip it down-- less weaponry, fewer enemies, fewer npcs, and return the focus of dismemberment to the forefront while making every encounter a life or death situation. Part of what makes a good horror game is the feeling of vulnerability-- by the end of dead space 2 (even on hard core) I'm a FORCE to be reckoned with! While that sensation is fun for a time... I really want my dead space to kick my ass NOT get it's ass kicked by me!

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #18 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

post #19 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
E3 is here, and after the MS confrence the casuals are still on the forefront. kinect this and kinect that, etc. features that have been on most everyones cable box for years are now being showed as the next best thing etc.

The problem I have with MS trying to be the central hub, is that for most of the features, you need a outside subscription to these already... not to mention a Gold subscription to live. On top of all of that, none of that **** works outside of the US. Not even canada can get in on these "Tv" services they are purporting.

I admit NHL center ice is awesome... but it also costs 129.99 for it to even stream to your xbox.

Nike + looks intresting but still is handcuffed by the need of super amount of space in your living room. Not everyone has there kinect hooked to a Tv thats in a gym enviroment.

Kinect voice control, is still a novel idea, with a plethora of applications, but again its contigent on way too many outside factors for it too lose its wonkyiness. Hey MS how bout using just a headset for voice controls ALONG with Kinect or WITHOUT Kinect. Why handcuff those features to only be used for kinect?

Games shown, were in a "scratch the surface mode" Tomb Raider and CoD looked good, but we already knew what they would bring to the table. the few XBLA games looked decent for downloables, but nothing you would spearhead a entire E3 keynote on.

The biggest suprise to me was how good Halo looked. It was flat out amazing in terms of detail. hopefully 343 can deliver in MP.

For me the best part of the show was Trey Parker from Southpark actually picking on MS!

Trey Parker's / Microsoft's SmartGlass

Overall I give MS a 3 out of 10
They could of hit a grand slam with the 720, any new Ip, anything other then kinect voice control... but they played it too safe and to boring. almost saying that they are competely out of the studio business, And as Edge Magazine review of the MS-Conf says:

Quote:

“Today, it’s all about Xbox 360,” droned Mattrick, kicking off what’s best described as an excellent advert for gaming on PC. Because if Xbox is indeed the biggest console gaming brand on the planet, and if this is the landscape Durango will inherit, then console gaming is in trouble.

"So here is some third party devs that we gave money too for timed exclusives"

Looks like PC gaming is back
post #20 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Honestly, I wish Kinect, Move, and the Wii motion controller would just evaporate into the annals of gaming lore, never to be brought up again. We just don't need motion controls, and although I have a Kinect, had two Wii's, and had Move when I had a PS3, I just don't enjoy having to sit there and wave my arms or really even talk to the 360 when I often have to repeat myself and find it just as easy to *SHOCK* use the controller. The controller is still king and I don't think we'll see it replaced by motion controls....heck, if anything, touch controls seem to be a pseudo kind of new wave of control, which I happen to think is a better idea.

Call me old fashioned but I just want a tactile response when I play games....I need feedback when I play.
Bikerduck likes this.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #21 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 463
post #22 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

The controller is still king and I don't think we'll see it replaced by motion controls....heck, if anything, touch controls seem to be a pseudo kind of new wave of control, which I happen to think is a better idea.

Call me old fashioned but I just want a tactile response when I play games....I need feedback when I play.

too bad you feel that way. loving my Kinect. having multiple gaming options is never a bad thing. I use a wheel for racing games. A game controller for most game types. A Kinect for motion gaming. A joystick for arcade games. guitars and drums for music games. More options is a good thing. If you don't want to get anything else, stick with the basic controller. It's still there for you to use.

Child of Eden let's you have Kinect controls and 4-controller feedback in your pants... now that's a good time...
post #23 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Not a very interesting day to be a Xbox fan. While I'm sure several of these games are going to be nice games, about all that intrigued me and caught my eye was Forza Horizon and Internet Explorer (Particularly if it has decent Flash and HTML5 or whatever its replacement is called... although all these dedicated apps make it not as useful as it would've been a few years ago).
post #24 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Good article. I respect what they have done and while I appreciate being about to watch my Netflix, Amazon on Demand, and MLB on my 360, I want them to always remember these are game consoles first and we need to have great hardware and software, not just "entertainment apps", which while nice and neat, are added benefits and shouldn't become the main focus. I'm a little bit spooked that Microsoft is steering their gaming focus away from hardcore titles (yes I know we're getting a new Gears and Halo) and new IP's, towards casual games and a focus on the system as some kind of all encompassing wunderbox.
Bikerduck likes this.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #25 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

too bad you feel that way. loving my Kinect. having multiple gaming options is never a bad thing. I use a wheel for racing games. A game controller for most game types. A Kinect for motion gaming. A joystick for arcade games. guitars and drums for music games. More options is a good thing. If you don't want to get anything else, stick with the basic controller. It's still there for you to use.

Child of Eden let's you have Kinect controls and 4-controller feedback in your pants... now that's a good time...

I'm fine with options, but I'm leery of things like Kinect getting more focus and attention than I think they should. We just don't have the precision or even the right implementation yet, for a true three dimensional motion system, that will really supplant a controller. It's still, how should I put this, a novelty, a gimmick maybe, that to me at least is nowhere near the experience that a controller offers.

Touch controls on the other hand, that might have some promise. I'm more optimistic about that kind of technology.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #26 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post

Not a very interesting day to be a Xbox fan. While I'm sure several of these games are going to be nice games, about all that intrigued me and caught my eye was Forza Horizon and Internet Explorer (Particularly if it has decent Flash and HTML5 or whatever its replacement is called... although all these dedicated apps make it not as useful as it would've been a few years ago).

I'd agree with that. Much too late for IE in my opinion and I doubt I'm gonna use it much, especially since I always have my iPad near me when I'm gaming.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #27 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:

Honestly, I wish Kinect, Move, and the Wii motion controller would just evaporate into the annals of gaming lore, never to be brought up again. We just don't need motion controls, and although I have a Kinect, had two Wii's, and had Move when I had a PS3, I just don't enjoy having to sit there and wave my arms or really even talk to the 360 when I often have to repeat myself and find it just as easy to *SHOCK* use the controller. The controller is still king and I don't think we'll see it replaced by motion controls....heck, if anything, touch controls seem to be a pseudo kind of new wave of control, which I happen to think is a better idea.

I hear ya though, but Kinect, integration and services are a huge profitable enterprise for MS and they've said they're in no hurry to launch a new expensive, sell above cost console. People for some reason just don't want to hear it.

2014 for new hardware is almost guaranteed now unless there's a earth shattering drop in industry sales. 2015 is even slightly possible now. And MS is fine with that, because they're riding a profitable money train. "Hardcore" console gamers are actually a cash sink, and the big names are realizing that.
post #28 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I hate to hear that, but I'm afraid I am beginning to agree. Shame though, I've been gaming since the very early 1980's, and unfortunately it looks as though the casual market is the real target and people like me are becoming less and less of a focus.
Bikerduck likes this.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #29 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'd agree with that. Much too late for IE in my opinion and I doubt I'm gonna use it much, especially since I always have my iPad near me when I'm gaming.

considering that IE for Xbox has Flash and Silverlight support (as well as IE Metro for Windows 8), it allows for more options than the Apple options.

As much as I like my iPad 2 (which sits alongside my Kindle Fire, my HP TouchPad with ICS Android 4.0, my HP TX2000 Windows 7 tablet, and my PC), not having Flash sucks sometimes.

I need Silverlight support as well because some videos at MSNBC only work with silverlight.
post #30 of 69 Old 06-04-2012, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The only thing I wish I had Flash for on my iPad is for Yahoo's Stattracker for my fantasy baseball and football. I don't do anything else that needs it, after all, You Tube is integrated into iOS. I guess it's nice to have IE, but by the time I select things with the virtual keyboard I could have it typed it in or used my bookmarks on the iPad.

Carl Sagan (1980)

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page