AVS Forum banner

ESPN - what exactly is this new deal ?

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  aaronwt 
#1 ·
The ESPN announcement at Microsofts press conference was a bit cryptic, and I didn't really understand what was going on. I could have sworn they said that we could watch Monday Night Football on Xbox Live. If so, how is this all going to work? I can't imagine all the big cable and satellite companies allowing ESPN to deliver a'la carte programming. If they think their subscriber numbers are dipping already, just wait till all the Joe Sixpacks find out about this...

#3 ·
I'm not a cable tv subscriber, but I have cable internet.

At the moment I can watch ESPN via Xbox, but I cannot use the "Watch ESPN" app on my iPad because it's for subscribers only.

I hope that's changing.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammybastard /forum/post/22101809

I'm not a cable tv subscriber, but I have cable internet.

At the moment I can watch ESPN via Xbox, but I cannot use the "Watch ESPN" app on my iPad because it's for subscribers only.

I hope that's changing.

You will need to be subscribed to ESPN through your cable provider. I can watch it via my home account but my work account will not let me since its just basic cable and ESPN isn't part of the package. I dont see anyway around it as its worked out into the contracts of the cable companies. I am hoping one day these companies will have a monthly subscription so I can finally cancel my cable tv. Watch ESPN and HBO Go are great but only if I already have cable.

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins  /t/1413892/espn-what-exactly-is-this-new-deal#post_22101884

You will need to be subscribed to ESPN through your cable provider. I can watch it via my home account but my work account will not let me since its just basic cable and ESPN isn't part of the package. I dont see anyway around it as its worked out into the contracts of the cable companies. I am hoping one day these companies will have a monthly subscription so I can finally cancel my cable tv. Watch ESPN and HBO Go are great but only if I already have cable.

Thanks. I assumed that would be the case.

I cut the cable 3 yrs ago and am never going back, espec. for an app to watch ESPN on my IPad.

Not worth it IMHO.

My hope is that eventually enough ppl will leave cable/satellite due to the cost, and the easy availability of programming through *ahem* other means,

and that will force HBO hand.

ESPN already gets it, but they can't do more than they are doing because their biz model is based on income from cable/satellite subscribers.

#6 ·
I always thought that these companies would make more per subscriber if they left the cable companies. I believe ESPN makes somewhere between $4-$5 per subscriber. They could charge $7-$10 a month on the side. I believe there are many sports fans that will easily pay that. There are people who paid hundreds just for an nfl package through directv, I was guilty of this for a year. My only guess is that the cable companies are the main reason. Either through contracts or they are scared of making less per subscriber from the cable company. It will take one of the companies to make the leap, just cant wait for the day.

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisandro  /t/1413892/espn-what-exactly-is-this-new-deal#post_22107574

If i become a subscriber of ESPN by $4-$5 then could i able to watch monday night football on Xbox live? Sorry, i am asking this because i am new in xbox. So, i have not a vast knowledge about it. Please tell me something about it.

You can not subscribe to ESPN as a standalone service. It will be a long time if ever before that happens.

#10 ·
what I'm not understanding is... are there going to be 2 ESPN apps for the Xbox? because currently, the ESPN on Xbox app contains content from ESPN3 and some content from ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN U. it has highlights, etc. from lots of different shows like 1st and 10. and the ESPN on Xbox app doesn't require that you have cable TV. only that you have an ISP that supports the app. I only have cable Internet. no TV at all and ESPN on Xbox works perfectly fine.

And if they roll that WatchESPN content into the ESPN on Xbox app, are they going to separate it somehow? or are you going to click on the show and it'll pop a message that you don't have access to that content?

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime  /t/1413892/espn-what-exactly-is-this-new-deal#post_22108781

what I'm not understanding is... are there going to be 2 ESPN apps for the Xbox? because currently, the ESPN on Xbox app contains content from ESPN3 and some content from ESPN, ESPN2, and ESPN U. it has highlights, etc. from lots of different shows like 1st and 10. and the ESPN on Xbox app doesn't require that you have cable TV. only that you have an ISP that supports the app. I only have cable Internet. no TV at all and ESPN on Xbox works perfectly fine.

And if they roll that WatchESPN content into the ESPN on Xbox app, are they going to separate it somehow? or are you going to click on the show and it'll pop a message that you don't have access to that content?

Yeah, I'm in your same exact boat. I completely cut the cord. Amazingly, I'm not even pirating stuff on usenet or anything either. I just use Netflix and Amazon streaming, and get blu-rays via Blockbuster online. The only thing that I'm really missing is live sports. I will admit that I sometimes go to various websites to watch crappy streams of NBA on ESPN or TNT or something, but that's about it. It would be nice to see live sports in HD again, but I just don't feel like having a $120 monthly cable bill. I can ocassionally catch some live sports in HD via OTA on my HDTV, but more and more stuff is only on ESPN or TNT or the NFL channel or whatever.

I might end up getting NFL Ticket on the PS3 if the price isn't too harsh.

#15 ·
ESPN and ESPN2 command nearly $6 combined per month in cable affiliate fees. For perspective, the average basic cable channel pulls in $0.26 of affiliate fees monthly. Since the average cable bill is $90 per month, approximately 6.5% of your monthly payment goes to ESPN, with 80% of that going to majority owner Disney.

Don't expect to be able to watch ESPN "over the top" without a cable subscription.

#16 ·
I just wish we could dump most of the ESPN channels to save some money. Instead most people have to pay for it and subsidize it. All I want is the main ESPN channel. I have no use for any of the other ESPN channels. And if the choice was all or nothing, then I would rather take nothing to save the money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.