Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 1469
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Is it as difficult as I've heard? I'm down for a challenge but seeing how you can actually lose the single player...that might be somewhat of a turnoff.

There are 4 difficulties. Easy, Normal, Classic (based on the original difficulty, pretty dang hard), and Impossible. For those that want even more of a challenge, they can do those on a hardcore setting with autosaves.

I'm going through it on Normal first.

How are you finding it on normal? Do you feel the need to repeat missions because you screwed them up, is your entire campaign in any peril?

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 Old 10-12-2012, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I don't think the campaign is in peril yet, haven't had to reload during a mission (several wounded, but only lost one rookie), but does give you a sense of danger in the campaign and during missions.
post #33 of 42 Old 10-12-2012, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Sort of spoilers for campaign progression:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Once you use the arc projector on one of the crystal-like ship commanders you'll be able to research an object that will open up the mission to invade an alien base. Great mission, tons of enemies and led to the moment I thought I was about to lose my whole squad.

Really like just about every way they've trimmed and massaged this game compared to the two originals. Skills take the place of the soldiers getting increased time units by doing things like letting you shoot twice, move and still shoot with sniper rifles, or even just increased move range. I kind of still want a squad size of 7 or 8 (or at least the robot unit not counting towards your 6) but the soldiers are more powerful than in the originals. The smaller squads and ease of actions also leads to most missions taking significantly less time than they did in the originals.

My most intense moment was flushing out 3 Crysallids who then moved to within 1 square of my high level Assault. I thought he was meat, but he used his double-shot to kill one, my sniper got a lucky head shot on one that was wounded by overwatch, and then two other members of my squad finished off the 3rd.

Oh, yes the aliens will use mind control. Thankfully if you kill the alien you'll have your troop back immediately. Also really like how missions immediately end when you kill the last alien instead of you having to finish out all your moves.
post #34 of 42 Old 10-16-2012, 05:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I'm really loving this game! I played the original, and I think the developers have done an excellent job of stream lining this game. Took me a little bit of time to realize that you could increase my squad size from the initial four, and therefore I went on several tough missions undermanned, and this led to me losing my sniper early on! eek.gif Eventually, I got a new one and she is deadly!biggrin.gif
post #35 of 42 Old 10-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Love, love, love this game. Very true to the classic original but it also has that Sid Meir "one more turn" factor that leads to bad game-lock (how the hell did it get to be 2AM?).

Ironman is the way to go --- no replaying missions or fixing tactical errors-- really amps up the tension even playing at Normal Difficulty. On my second game now, having made a fair share of errors my first time through.

Found this thread with a lot of great tips (and some disputed opinions): http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/655782-xcom-enemy-unknown/64273015

One thing I learned from my first playthrough --- satellites, satellites, satellites are key to lasting long enough (and having enough cash) to make it to the end game.

XBL Gamertag: Robbo67
post #36 of 42 Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had a terror mission where I found 3 Chrysallids and 3 Floaters, then flushed out 3 more Chrysallids when getting into firing positions. Several humans got turned. Somehow I made it through the mission with no soldier deaths and 18 kills.
post #37 of 42 Old 10-21-2012, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Had it lock up while saving during a mission :\

Also, the Support ability to carry a second item doesn't seem to work right - if I give them a Medkit and a Grenade, they don't have any options to actually use that grenade during the mission. So now I give them one of the armor items, so it's still a little useful. A scope should work too.
post #38 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM

Liked: 10
Anybody else beat the game, legit, with SPOILERS The Volunteer alive and enough nations still on XCOM yet get the "Defeat" message at the end with the alien controlling deep throat? I was told I got the defeat ending and the beat the game cutscene on gamefaqs forums.
post #39 of 42 Old 10-22-2012, 01:44 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post

Ironman is the way to go --- no replaying missions or fixing tactical errors-- really amps up the tension even playing at Normal Difficulty.

only way to play. I know it is more common, but the people who save constantly and the moment they lose a guy just reload and do it again until they win really cheat themselves. You lose the tension and aliens aren't really a threat anymore when you can just reload. Going ironman and having a high ranked soldier who is battle worn being forced to go out with a newly hired rookie filling the shoes of recently deceased comrade in arms just feels so right.

Or sometimes if I have a decently ranked up squad of 2 or 3 I'll throw the rookies to the wolves like a real hazing would go. Take point Meat. And when **** goes down I'll do my best to have the vets swoop in and save his/her ass when they've done their duty and dirty work.

game just takes on a whole new life and feeling when you are willing to let the aliens have their balls and killing power mean something.

sorry folks, just know somebody who only has a squad of 6 and why would he ever need more than that when he never lets them die through his god like Save reloading powers. Him to me - "But all my guys are leveled up and awesome.... yours suck."
post #40 of 42 Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Beat it today, now for an Ironman playthrough. Looks like you can't get the achievement for a soldier surviving every mission if you do the tutorial.
post #41 of 42 Old 11-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Advanced Member

Beat the game last night on normal Ironman. Was kicking a** but had two really bad missions which killed several of my top soldiers (including one of my two psy soldiers) and led to a Monty Pythonesque "run away, run away" as I tried to get straggling survivors to the extraction zone to abort the missions. SPOILER --Lost 5 of my six soldiers on the final mission and was trading psi attacks with the ethereal leader before doing a run and gun and blasting him with an alloy shotty to win the game. It was all very tense.

Can't wait to try again, next time on Classic, where the Aliens come looking for you.

XBL Gamertag: Robbo67
post #42 of 42 Old 11-02-2012, 09:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My first Ironman Normal I got screwed on the rate of abductions and lost countries before I could even get satellites up. Ended up deleting that game and have a better one going now.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page