Spec Ops The Line - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 07-22-2012, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 367
Can't believe this doesnt have a thread yet! Amazing campaign! Just beat it and have to round up more achievements but just starting a second playthrough puts the beginning in a whole new light.

The only negatives I have are with the cover system. It's not nearly as refined as Ghost Recon. This can lead to some frustrating deaths on a higher difficulty.

The real pita is grenades. Holy cow are they annoying. Some battles you won't see many but getting killed and redoing it might net you one after another.

Overall probably a rental but what a ride it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-23-2012, 04:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 166
I was about 3 hours in and couldn't bring myself to finish it. I was bored out of my mind and frustrated at the game. The source material didn't grab me. All the reviews stated how gripping, horrifying and downright uncomfortable at times the story made you feel. I felt like I was playing a different game than everyone else, because all I saw was a Ghost Recon wannabe that played like crap (I still stand by the played like crap part).

Then yesterday, I started reading about it and how the writer's came to make the story they did. I kind of gave it away for myself and read about the ending, which I didn't mind, but it kind of makes me wish I would've finished it before shipping it back to Gamefly. I guess I can rent it again further down the road. It's not a game a would ever pay over $20 for though. The production values were too low to consider anything higher than that.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #3 of 19 Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

This is definitely a game grandma doesn't want to get for little Johnny. The game mechanics I'd give a B. they work well but could be a lot better. Nothing felt broken to me though just a little unwieldy.

The way the story executes is very well done too. You get decisions and not just click X or B but either moving towards a target or shooting something or just standing there. It doesn't take you out of the game.

I got sucked into the demo when I was comparing this to GR but GR looked better for multi. I may revise that though the multi on Spec Ops looks pretty in depth. I'll start checking it out this week.

For one of the first times in my gaming life I'm restarting a game almost immediately for another playthrough. Most times I'll wait a year or for a sequel but since there are decision points and achievements attached to them and wanted a second look while the story is fresh.

Gamefly it again was worth that much at least.
post #4 of 19 Old 07-23-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I finished this myself yesterday. I'm always on the lookout for a good single player game and this one delivered. The campaign was a little on the short side but the story really drew me in and while I was expecting a few twists at the end, it still managed to surprise me somewhat. Unlike most games, the voicework here is top notch (you can really hear how the characters become more desperate and unhinged as the game progresses) and I give the game kudos for playing with your ethics; you no sooner hear your character say that you won't kill civilians only to be put into a position where you may have to do just that. The game is full of those kinds of morally ambiguous dilemmas and its a shame that the endings don't full reflect what actions you take.

Not much replay value (unless you want to mine for achievements and see the different endings) but definitely worth a playthru in my opinion. Definitely not for the younger set however,
post #5 of 19 Old 07-23-2012, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I thought Delta squads change in appearance over the course of the game was a cool touch. I read a little about the small touches put in like blacked out eyes on paintings near a massacre. The replay is only there because it's a cool story and you might pick some things up not caught on one play. For instance if you haven't, rewatch the intro. Kind of eye opening in light of the end.
post #6 of 19 Old 07-23-2012, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

I will agree that the voice acting is top notch, though I'm getting a bit tired of hearing Nathan Drake... er, I mean Nolan North in nearly every damn game. I think that may have taken me out of the game more than anything. The guy is an amazing voice actor, but I'd like some variety.

post #7 of 19 Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

49/50 achievements done. Pretty easy with a playthrough on hard followed by easy. Not going to attempt fubar difficulty though. One notch down was bad enough. Will probably check out a little multi tomorrow and send it back.
post #8 of 19 Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

I will agree that the voice acting is top notch, though I'm getting a bit tired of hearing Nathan Drake... er, I mean Nolan North in nearly every damn game. I think that may have taken me out of the game more than anything. The guy is an amazing voice actor, but I'd like some variety.

I think I read somewhere that Nolan North was deliberately used here exactly because he has become the go-to guy for voicing the unflappable hero (like Drake) and when you see his character start to lose it and slowly become unhinged it hopefully makes the events of the game that much more shocking (kind of like the videogame equivalent of casting against type). I thought it was a pretty subversive but very clever use of a very good voice actor.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-24-2012, 10:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe I didn't play far enough in the game as I don't recall him becoming unhinged at any point.

post #10 of 19 Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Maybe I didn't play far enough in the game as I don't recall him becoming unhinged at any point.

Around level 5 or 6 you reach a point where...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
you're forced to use mortars that fire phosphorus grenades to take out some military assets and soldiers. Unfortunately they also kill a bunch of civilians including women and children who were penned in the same area

...from that point on Walker's actions become more erratic and even his speech becomes more desperate and profane laden as the game continues.
post #11 of 19 Old 07-28-2012, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 308
Nothing more embarrassing than seeing the "Would you like to change difficulty screen". So far I am liking the campaign.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #12 of 19 Old 07-28-2012, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Nothing more embarrassing than seeing the "Would you like to change difficulty screen". So far I am liking the campaign.

I got that screen too more than once. Quite honestly, unless you're trying to get every possible achievement, I think a game like this actually benefits from being played at easier difficulty levels (at least on one playthru) so that you can take in the story (which I think is very good) rather than focusing on just getting to that next checkpoint, in which case you might miss out on some stuff.
post #13 of 19 Old 07-28-2012, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

I got that a lot. Played on one notch down from the hardest since it was frayed out. Talk about a pita. So many grenades so little cover and so many people shooting at you. I think they actually increase the amount of foes as the difficulty rises.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 308
I finished the game last night and I thought the campaign was amazing. I really enjoyed the story. I do agree that the cover system wasnt done great. Many times I got stuck not getting into cover or couldnt get out fast enough when a grenade came over. I did find it predictable though, you always knew when the firefights would happen as you would see perfectly stacked objects of cover. Would of been nice to get caught in the open a few times. I am not one to replay a game but there are sections that I would like to see what would of happened if I chose another route. Maybe I will try it today on easy just to fly through it and see the changes.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #15 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 1330
I've heard a lot about how the way to play this game is just go on easy mode so you can appreciate the story.

I tried the demo and it just didn't grab me, but all the buzz about the game made me look up the story on Wikipedia....it definitely sounds like it gets real, real crazy by the end.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #16 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The story unfolds in a way that only a video game can deliver. It's worth a second run just to pick up on clues you missed the first time. Keep an eye on statues and paintings eyes and billboards. Also may want to rewatch the intro sequence and pay close attention to the apartment scene with newspaper clippings.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I've heard a lot about how the way to play this game is just go on easy mode so you can appreciate the story.

I tried the demo and it just didn't grab me, but all the buzz about the game made me look up the story on Wikipedia....it definitely sounds like it gets real, real crazy by the end.

This is really a game appreciated twice, once to get the basic story and a second run to take your time and soak in everything you just saw. First run on easy will still leave you with questions and you'll miss out on stuff just because you have no clue what your looking at.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm playing through this game now. The guy at GameStop tried to warn me off of it since they got a bunch of them returned within a couple days of it being released. That's usually a bad sign.
I'm liking the game, it's not the best game ever that's for sure but it's pretty good.
The cover system certainly has some issues. I find myself standing up from cover every time I try to move and of course get shot.
I think most of the returned games are from kids that are so used to first-person shooters that they just can't make the adjustment a third-person. Me? I've been gaming since the '70s and like all kinds of games.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-31-2012, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeGuy View Post

I'm playing through this game now. The guy at GameStop tried to warn me off of it since they got a bunch of them returned within a couple days of it being released. That's usually a bad sign.
I'm liking the game, it's not the best game ever that's for sure but it's pretty good.
The cover system certainly has some issues. I find myself standing up from cover every time I try to move and of course get shot.
I think most of the returned games are from kids that are so used to first-person shooters that they just can't make the adjustment a third-person. Me? I've been gaming since the '70s and like all kinds of games.

I think there's a lot of truth to kids not bothering with new experiences. I got Ghost Recon and am still in awe at how few kids there are on multi. I didn't give Spec Ops online enough of a chance to see if it was the same. You add patience to a game and take out running around like a cracked out mountain dew addict and kids give up.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page