replacing an old Xbox 360 - get hard disk or not? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My son's Xbox 360 (original style) finally died a few months back. A year or 2 back I performed a RROD fix (heat gun, repair kit, etc.) and it actually performed well for quite a long time but now I think it just needs to be replaced.

I have the old hard disk (20GB I believe) and I believe it can be installed in a new Xbox 360 slim but I'm not sure if it's worth it.

He doesn't really do many downloads, Netflix, etc... mostly just plays the COD series and some sports games. We do play Rockband as well.

1 - How does transferring his old account to the new Xbox 360 work? Does he just need to sign in, or is it more complicated? Will all our old content move over automatically, like purchased Rockband songs and any achivements he has?

2 - For his use, any benefit of going with a HDD model? Or should I just get the 4GB model and call it a day?

3 - If there is a significant benefit to the hard disk, should I get the 4GB model and install the old drive in it? Or just bit the bullet and buy a new 250GB model?

4 - Finally, if I buy a new 250GB model I may just eBay the old 20GB drive. Is it OK to wipe it before selling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 221
  1. To do it the best way IMO, I would buy a new HDD. You will need this: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox360/accessories/cablesnetworking/Xbox-360-Hard-Drive-Transfer-Cable
  2. It is an XBox 360 Data Transfer Cable. It will transfer all of your information from the old hard Drive to the XBox 360-S new HDD if you buy one. And it will automatically wipe the old HD during the process.
  3. If you can't afford a new HDD or plan to use it sparingly, Just continue using your old HDD with the new XBox 360-S. During the initial setup it should recognize the HD and recover all of your information.

Just browse the support or console area of the same website above...XBox.com...and they have tutorials to guide you through the process. I recommended getting a new drive because they are cheap these days. And storage requirements are always going up, as your son explores new things to do with his XB 360.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-25-2012, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Hi -

Ended up getting the 250GB Slim with racing wheel for $299 at Best Buy with some PayPal funds and the transfer cable. Setup was a breeze, and all content was moved over - my son was exstatic!

My son did download more game demos and the like that I thought, he had over 10GB of stuff on the old drive, so I felt more comfortable with the hard drive. The "free" racing wheel and game made it an easy decision for me.

Thanks again!
post #4 of 5 Old 07-26-2012, 05:30 AM

Liked: 25
Although the cable moves all your content to the new hard drive, I don't think it transfers the licenses. That process is pretty easy to do, as explained HERE.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-27-2012, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page