2012 Xbox LIVE Update Public Beta (new dashboard beta (07-26-2012) enrollment) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 493
from Major Nelson's blog:
http://mjr.mn/2012XboxPublicBeta

With our work on the updated dashboard underway, we’re ready to announce an open call for all Xbox LIVE subscribers to participate in the 2012 Xbox LIVE Update Public Beta.

We need members of our valued community to help us fine-tune this early build of Xbox LIVE. What do you love? What would you like to see improved?

Numbers are limited, so sign up today. If you’re selected as a tester, an update will be pushed to your console once the public beta kicks off. The update will contain select dashboard features, including:
  • Internet Explorer for Xbox
  • Personalized dashboard recommendations
  • Enhanced category search and discovery features

Note: A console in the program is expected to remain fully compatible with standard retail consoles not in the program.

If you would like to participate, please register for the 2012 Xbox LIVE Update Public Beta here.

You will be required to agree to a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) for confidentiality reasons.

We also ask that you fill out a brief 5-minute survey at the end of the beta, to let us know what you think.

The 2012 Xbox LIVE Update Public Beta is a great opportunity to help the Xbox team by providing early feedback to make Xbox even better.

Thanks for your participation and enjoy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
I don't usually do these things, but I just signed up this time around. Mostly, I'm really hoping for some DLNA support from a Windows 8 tablet, but it will be nice to have IE in the room where my extender is also.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #3 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 429
Already signed up and accepted

The 5.0 is here
post #4 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Liked: 18
not working for me. I keep getting an error. I guess they got enough nominations in the first 2 hours

Program is not accepting nominations for this time.

If this error continues, click the Help link at the top of the page to report the issue and include this error ID in your e-mail: f28d2ab5-debd-40f7-9897-86f6923b0d22

Microsoft Connect welcome page.
post #5 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Probably getting bombarded.

The 5.0 is here
post #6 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Looks more and more like finding a game on the 360 is becoming a game. BLADES PLEASE.
post #7 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

Looks more and more like finding a game on the 360 is becoming a game. BLADES PLEASE.

I did read somewhere that the ability to pin content is expected, so hopefully you can put it directly on your homescreen.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #8 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

All the tools available and people still having difficulty finding games or content in general?

The 5.0 is here
post #9 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

All the tools available and people still having difficulty finding games or content in general?

Games are almost buried as it is. I know where they are and everything but to look at the UI you wouldn't know it with all the TV stuff etc.
post #10 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 03:02 PM

Liked: 10
Same here i think we didnt get frown.gif but why did they stupidly do limited invites though bit of waste of time to be honest
post #11 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, it seems like it's a much smaller beta group than before.

I've got multiple devices to try out with it. An iPad 2, Android ICS tablet, Kindle Fire, and HP TX2000 tablet. If Internet Explorer is part of the beta, they have to have multiple forms of input. A game controller with chatpad or a USB keyboard just doesn't cut it. I wonder if the Windows 8 Xbox Companion has been upgraded.

Let's hope the UI is customizable. And let's hope they speed up the dash! This current dash takes forever to fully load in, either from a cold boot or quitting out of a game or app.
post #12 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

They are really on a fast track. Just got the email notification to get started.

The 5.0 is here
post #13 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 07:04 PM

Same here, just got my code.

Xbox Live: DeeLux
post #14 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I haven't checked yet but will the same code work on multiple 360 systems? The last beta let us do multiple consoles.
post #15 of 66 Old 07-26-2012, 09:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I haven't checked yet but will the same code work on multiple 360 systems? The last beta let us do multiple consoles.

Not the code, you have to go to download history and redownload it on the other systems. 3 systems are allowed.

Hapi -"Lazy......cuz he's a boss like that"

mphfrom77 - "I'm an idiot."

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #16 of 66 Old 07-27-2012, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

keep checking regularly for available spots. some people tried today and were accepted.
post #17 of 66 Old 07-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Advanced Member

So if you fire up Xbox Video which was formerly known as Zune Video, you'll see that washed out video has returned.
Waiting on the public beta forum to open up. frown.gif
post #18 of 66 Old 07-27-2012, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Woah! eek.gif

I will say that the many of the rumors for this dash are true and many of the complaints of the current dash have been addressed. darth, you will be happy. smile.gif
post #19 of 66 Old 07-28-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

the beta forum is up! lots of discussions going on
post #20 of 66 Old 07-28-2012, 09:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 1346
Quote:

Woah! eek.gif

I will say that the many of the rumors for this dash are true and many of the complaints of the current dash have been addressed. darth, you will be happy. smile.gif

It's still overloaded with way too much non gaming crap.

I can't believe I'm actually paying money for a service that is so utterly contemptuous of its users. They know no one wants any of their ads and crap on their home screen, but we're too hooked to do anything about it. What's next, ads in the windows 8 start menu? And I'm not even paying a monthly fee for that!

I hope Sony brings their A game next gen, cause Microsoft is seriously pushing it too far.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #21 of 66 Old 07-28-2012, 11:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

It's still overloaded with way too much non gaming crap.
I can't believe I'm actually paying money for a service that is so utterly contemptuous of its users. They know no one wants any of their ads and crap on their home screen, but we're too hooked to do anything about it. What's next, ads in the windows 8 start menu? And I'm not even paying a monthly fee for that!
I hope Sony brings their A game next gen, cause Microsoft is seriously pushing it too far.

Oh god not this again and again.

The 5.0 is here
post #22 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 04:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I never got the big deal with ads, they are not forcing me to watching it so I dont really care. Now if they start showing ads right before I play a game then I have a problem. But right now its a small block in the corner that doesnt play sound or bother me in anyway.

benjamin-benjami - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1476721/battlefield-4/7200_100#post_24609271
post #23 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Quote:

I never got the big deal with ads, they are not forcing me to watching it so I dont really care. Now if they start showing ads right before I play a game then I have a problem. But right now its a small block in the corner that doesnt play sound or bother me in anyway.

It's not the fact that it's ads. It's that it's dead space that's cluttering up my dash. I want three things on my dash - launch the disc, browse my games library, and see who's on. I want a second page that I can browse new games. That's it. Clean and simple. I could do that on windows, and it's about as straightforward as it gets on PS3.

The only reason I can't do that on 360 cause they can't stop pushing sh*t I don't want onto me, and I have zero say about it. Every new dash it gets more and more difficult to access my games and other gaming related stuff. I turn on my dash and 75% of the screen is an ad for breaking bad, Ive even see a damn liquor ad! Thats just a straight up commercial. Games are like 5 pages over.

It's ridiculous and out of control. Each dash is worse than the last. In a year or two, every time you turn on your box you're going to be forced to watch a trailer before you can do anything, like blu-rays.

post #24 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

In a year or two, every time you turn on your box you're going to be forced to watch a trailer before you can do anything, like blu-rays.

might as well be this way right now, it takes about 2 minutes for everything in the dashboard to be loaded and functional
post #25 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It's not the fact that it's ads. It's that it's dead space that's cluttering up my dash. I want three things on my dash - launch the disc, browse my games library, and see who's on. I want a second page that I can browse new games. That's it. Clean and simple. I could do that on windows, and it's about as straightforward as it gets on PS3.
The only reason I can't do that on 360 cause they can't stop pushing sh*t I don't want onto me, and I have zero say about it. Every new dash it gets more and more difficult to access my games and other gaming related stuff. I turn on my dash and 75% of the screen is an ad for breaking bad, Ive even see a damn liquor ad! Thats just a straight up commercial. Games are like 5 pages over.
It's ridiculous and out of control. Each dash is worse than the last. In a year or two, every time you turn on your box you're going to be forced to watch a trailer before you can do anything, like blu-rays.

You will be able to pin stuff but its still a button away to get to that option. I do agree that you should be able to rearrange the dashboard to your liking. I think they pushed Kinects voice feature to much with this dashboard. If I am not using the disc then I use the quickplay option. Its not very often I go through the dashboard so maybe I dont see the hassle that others have with it.

post #26 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 09:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emartins View Post

Quote:

You will be able to pin stuff but its still a button away to get to that option. I do agree that you should be able to rearrange the dashboard to your liking. I think they pushed Kinects voice feature to much with this dashboard. If I am not using the disc then I use the quickplay option. Its not very often I go through the dashboard so maybe I dont see the hassle that others have with it.

Well, they know people want that, but they don't want to give it to you. It's clever how they only label one little box an ad on the home page, but everything is an ad. I'm looking at the new dash right now and there's 3 little boxes on the left for the disc, the pins, and recent. Next to that is an ad that's *literally* 6 times as big, and dead center, for breaking bad. Below that is a 2x sized ad for a new music album, 2x for UFC. On the other side is a kinect ad, an MLB ad, and a really annoying animated ad for god knows what. The vast majority of space is just entirely wasted.

I'd be a little more sympathetic if
A) The service was free and ads were the revenue needed to maintain it
B) I could choose to see gaming related ads only, so at least they'd be relevant. I am genuinely interested in what is new on the service that's gaming related, but it's all TV and music crap.

Every year the functionality of my system is being downgraded to show me stuff I don't care about. Even if it's ignorable, it's still a step in the wrong direction. I'm not going to cheerlead for it. It's only gotten worse since last year.

Also, the demos section has now been made utterly useless because it throws in all the garbage amateur games and theres no way to filter them out.

Sigh.

post #27 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Also, the demos section has now been made utterly useless because it throws in all the garbage amateur games and theres no way to filter them out.

I cant agree more. The demos section is horrible. I've got in the habit of using the voice feature to get demos. Seems quicker to find what I want.

post #28 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the red worm View Post

might as well be this way right now, it takes about 2 minutes for everything in the dashboard to be loaded and functional
the speed is the biggest benefit of the new dash.

there's tons I'd like to counter back with but you guys are so way over the line with the NDA that I can't go there.
post #29 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the red worm View Post

the speed is the biggest benefit of the new dash.

there's tons I'd like to counter back with but you guys are so way over the line with the NDA that I can't go there.

I havent heard anyone say its faster.

I don't have the new dash, I'm just going by the billion other people who've posted shots and made comments of it online.

NDA for a public beta, lol.

post #30 of 66 Old 07-29-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 40
It's a beta preview to test and work out the bugs...and yes there's NDA.
I get...we all get, that you aren't happy with the way the dash is, and what you would like in a new dash, or your own dash that you can customize. But, the fact is, it is not that hard to ignore the ads that are there, or to get to games and profile stuff with the flick of a button.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page