Audio connection help with astro mixamp 5.8, 2 astro a40s, xbox 360, ps3, sony 55" hx850, and yamaha rx-v673 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-11-2012, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've ended up in a little situation. I will soon have all of the following items and just realized I'm not sure how I will connect them to optimize my sound quality. I need to figure out the ideal connections for each of these components:
  • astro mixamp 5.8 unit
  • 2 astro a40 headsets
  • xbox 360
  • ps3
  • sony 55" hx850 television
  • yamaha rx-v673 avr receiver

For reference:
The astro mixamp 5.8 unit has one Toslink IN and one Toslink OUT.
The xbox360 and ps3 each have one Toslink OUT. No Toslink IN.
The sony 55" hx850 has one Toslink OUT. No Toslink IN.
The yamaha rx-v673 has two Toslink IN. No Toslink OUT.

My gf and I live in a condo building and typically game really late at night, so that's why we have the astro a40 headsets. But we also want surround sound through the yamaha receiver when we watch BD/DVD or stream from the two gaming consoles during normal hours. We'd never have the need to listen surround sound through the receiver and the headsets simultaneously - it would always be one at a time. I'm getting stuck on the audio connections because the yamaha rx-v673 doesn't have any Toslink OUT. So while I can run HDMI from the xbox360 and ps3 into the receiver for both video and audio, I can't get the audio stream out from the receiver to the astro mixamp 5.8. This is my dilemma.

So then I considered running Toslink OUT from the sony 55" hx850 to the astro mixamp 5.8. Theoretically, this would carry the audio stream from whatever source was connect to the television to the astro mixamp 5.8. Unfortunately from my reading here on AVS, it appears that the Toslink OUT on the television will not send the audio stream in 5.1 surround sound - it will get downstreamed to 2.0. Is this correct? If so, that defeats the purpose of spending $ to buy the astro a40s so that I could get game audio in virtual 5.1; I'd get the same 2.0 audio by plugging into the television aux/headphone OUT.

So then I thought about running Toslink directly from both the xbox360 and ps3 Toslink OUT ports to the astro mixamp 5.8's Toslink IN. Theoretically, this would work. Unfortunately the mixamp only has one Toslink IN, so we'd be stuck with unplugging the Toslink cable every time we switched from xbox360 to ps3. This seems like a pain and would result in unnecessary added wear and tear to the mixamp.

So what about a Toslink splitter? I read that Octava is recommended by others on AVS, so I searched and found this: http://goo.gl/m94Jq

Could I run Toslink directly from both the xbox360 and ps3 Toslink OUT ports to the two Toslink OUT ports on the splitter, and then run Toslink from the splitter to to the Toslink IN on the astro mixamp 5.8? Would this work? Would I have any issues with audio quality in this setup? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Mahalo. Shoots!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 05:37 PM

Well the octava only has one optic in. which means you can only hook up the ps3 or the 360 to the "in". The out wouldn't matter because you need 2 in, one for the ps3, and the other for the 360. Than if there was only one out that could go into the mix amp. But this is the opposite. 2 out and one in.

Something like this might help. This is the only one I could find on mono price. Heres the link.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042302&p_id=2946&seq=1&format=2

Heres the description.

This bi-directional Toslink (digital optical audio) switch serves as either a 3x1 switch or a 1x3 switch.

As a 3x1 device, the switch allows you to select one of up to three input devices to direct to the single output. As a 1x3 device, the switch works in the opposite direction, allowing you to direct a single input to one of up to three output devices.

This switch provides full optical clarity and will not degrade the optical signal in any way.

So it can go 3x1 or 1x3. Sounds like a winner. Its up to you.

Aloha
post #3 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
I had a switch like that (referring to the one in post #2) from Amazon (different brand). It's really finicky. Sometimes I have to play with the dial to get it just right or else it wouldn't work. It got me so frustrating sometimes.
post #4 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

I had a switch like that (referring to the one in post #2) from Amazon (different brand). It's really finicky. Sometimes I have to play with the dial to get it just right or else it wouldn't work. It got me so frustrating sometimes.

Awe that sucks... did you resolve the problem by getting another devise?
post #5 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback you two! So is it fair to assume that the Octava splitter isn't bi-directional? If so, that sucks. I guess I thought that if only one of the game consoles was in use at a time, then it wouldn't matter what the splitter "direction" was since only one audio signal would be transmitted. I just emailed Octava to see if I could use the splitter as 2 Toslink IN x 1 Toslink OUT. I'll let you know what, if anything, I find out from them.

I was hoping to avoid having to mess with a physical switch like the monoprice one. Just searched some reviews for similar products on Amazon and most of them seem to be junk. @onlysublime I would definitely like to hear what you came up with to solve this issue.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

There's no real fix I could find that was reliable. I just prioritzed and put the devices I most wanted on the dedicated ports and put the ones I barely used on the switch. That minimized the fuss to get the darn thing to work. I did exchange it once and that was enough to realize that the design is just not a great one.

I'm not saying that the device is totally unreliable. half the time, I can get it on the first couple of tries. it's the other half where I'm playing with the darn thing for 5 minutes.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-08-2012, 11:20 PM - Thread Starter

I heard back from Octava.

"Unfortunately the Toslink Audio Splitter will not work for your application. We recommend this product: 4x1 HDMI Switch with ARC
It can duplicate HDMI audio then send it out to optical output or you can use optical inputs, it will route that audio signal to optical out."

Not sure that I want to drop that much on a Toslink switch. Maybe there's something else out there. Shoots!
post #8 of 9 Old 09-09-2012, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by japorobotics View Post

So then I considered running Toslink OUT from the sony 55" hx850 to the astro mixamp 5.8. Theoretically, this would carry the audio stream from whatever source was connect to the television to the astro mixamp 5.8. Unfortunately from my reading here on AVS, it appears that the Toslink OUT on the television will not send the audio stream in 5.1 surround sound - it will get downstreamed to 2.0. Is this correct?

Hi japorobotics, not all tv does this so test it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by japorobotics View Post

Not sure that I want to drop that much on a Toslink switch. Maybe there's something else out there. Shoots!

This switch should work -> 3-Play S-Video, Composite Video and TOSLINK Digital Audio High Performance Selector Switch.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

from my anecdotal experience with my POS audio receiver (Onkyo TX506) that only has HDMI audio passthrough (the audio would not come out of the receiver speakers and would instead just pass through to the TV), I ended up having to use optical to get 5.1 audio. I tried that shortcut (sending it to the TV and then having the TV send to the receiver) but it failed. nothing but 2.0 audio. when the TV input was ATSC, it was 5.1. everything else was 2.0.
Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Yamaha Rx V673 Receiver , Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page