No 720P on oringal(2003) Xbox. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 01:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello:
This is my first post on the AVS forum, so please let me know if there is a better place for this. I have an original Xbox(NOT a 360) hooked up to my HD video capture card with component cables. I get 480P but I can not seem to get 720P even when playing a 720P game. I have looked a totals and for have done everything correctly. I have checked all the video settings in the dashboard, I know it is not 720P for the capture card takes 480 images and both capture card and our HDTV display the resulation as 480P. What is causing this.
-Jamie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
In order to get 720P resolution in 720P games on the original Xbox 1, you need to either use a VGA cable or a component cable.

After that, you need to set the dashboard to 720P or 1080i.

It should work. I've had a number of games that run in HD and it looks great. The problem is there are not a lot of games because HD requires a lot of horsepower and HD on that generation of consoles was maybe overly ambitious.

Check out this site. it's a great site for looking up HD games and what games support widescreen:
http://hdgames.net/
post #3 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

As I said I am using component cables and have selected, 720P, 480P and 1080i in the dashboard. My game says it supports 720P but it only displays 480P.
post #4 of 10 Old 08-17-2012, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

what is the name of the game?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 12:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
If you want to test 1080i output from your Xbox, Enter The Matrix can do it. Not saying the graphics look any better. If you have component video out connector, you can do it. Not sure about VGA as someone described because VGA was never standard on Xbox, only X360.

For 720p, there are actually quite a few games supporting it and it's worth having 720p output because many of the supported games look better.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

The game is "Sphinx and the cursed mummy" but I just checked the list and apparently the game case "lies". (http://hdgames.net/). Actually apparently a lot of games have the same problem.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

okay, good to know. that's a very good website. I've actually added a few titles to that database a couple of years ago. Yes, I was still (and occasionally still) play the Xbox1 when everyone had long since moved on to the 360. So if you see fairly recent additions to the database, it's probably by me. tongue.gif

If you want a spectacular looking HD game on the old Xbox, check out MX vs ATV Unleashed. It looks beautiful in 1080i 16:9. great framerate and sharp. definitely rivals early 360 titles. I heard MX Unleashed was also great but never owned it.

for me, it was more crucial that the game support 16:9 widescreen rather than HD resolution. I hated the black borders on the side of the game and I hate stretching a screen so that everything's fat (yes, the TV has ways to compensate but none of the solutions are great).
post #8 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

HD is not as important to me as a good game, I just wanted to know what was wrong with my Xbox, know I know.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-18-2012, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex3D View Post

If you have component video out connector, you can do it. Not sure about VGA as someone described because VGA was never standard on Xbox, only X360.

The Xbox chipset has support for VGA but it was never officially supported with an official VGA cable. You can build one yourself if you know how to solder. I think it's like $10 in parts.

I got a Neoya X2VGA VGA breakout box that was great. VGA is really the best way to get the Xbox1 to look great. The only problem with VGA on the Xbox1 is for games that are 1080i since a lot of monitors do not support 1080i. Of course, 1080i is easily supported by HDTVs but a lot of HDTVs do not support 1080i over VGA.

The only issues with the X2VGA is there were multiple hardware revisions of the Xbox1 and multiple revisions of the X2VGA. So if you got an earlier X2VGA and you had a certain combination of Xbox1 and VGA, you might get weird purplish colors. Change the Xbox or change the monitor and the problem goes away. When they built the original X2VGA device, they didn't anticipate that Microsoft would change the chipset. If you were able to get a newer revision of X2VGA, it was fully compatible.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-19-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know if my monitor supports interlaced video signals and I don't have enough ports on my KVM switch frown.gif . My video chapter card supports 1080i so I think I will stick with that.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page