Downsizing - looking for monitor/TV advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hey gang,

I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my gaming screen. I'm moving into a tiny space so I'm looking at picking up a TV/Monitor that's less than 32" (maybe 24" or 27"). Here's my situation:

Right now I'm gaming on the Xbox 360, and almost all of my content (Netflix, DVDs) will go through that. I'd like HDMI on the monitor/TV for future-proofing or picking up a PS3 down the road. Unfortunately, the reason I'd "like" HDMI is that I need a monitor/TV that has component input since I have a dinosaur Xbox that doesn't have HDMI (yes, pity me!).
I don't care much about Smart TV extras through the TV, or even a built-in tuner since that's increasingly unnecessary and I have a larger TV that will still fit those needs. I'd like to keep the purchase to under $300.

My main question is: Should I just go with a monitor? I always hear good things about response time and performance of monitors, and if the monitor could later be used as a TV through a cable box, then there doesn't seem to be a downside to grabbing a monitor. My problem is that I don't know anything about how to judge a good monitor vs a bad one, or if picture quality will be good if it's used as a TV later on.

So I'm wondering if people had any thoughts or opinions on the matter, and if you could recommend something to fit my needs, what would you suggest?

Thanks for your help!

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 12:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

Hey gang,
I'm looking for a bit of advice regarding my gaming screen. I'm moving into a tiny space so I'm looking at picking up a TV/Monitor that's less than 32" (maybe 24" or 27"). Here's my situation:
Right now I'm gaming on the Xbox 360, and almost all of my content (Netflix, DVDs) will go through that. I'd like HDMI on the monitor/TV for future-proofing or picking up a PS3 down the road. Unfortunately, the reason I'd "like" HDMI is that I need a monitor/TV that has component input since I have a dinosaur Xbox that doesn't have HDMI (yes, pity me!).
I don't care much about Smart TV extras through the TV, or even a built-in tuner since that's increasingly unnecessary and I have a larger TV that will still fit those needs. I'd like to keep the purchase to under $300.
My main question is: Should I just go with a monitor? I always hear good things about response time and performance of monitors, and if the monitor could later be used as a TV through a cable box, then there doesn't seem to be a downside to grabbing a monitor. My problem is that I don't know anything about how to judge a good monitor vs a bad one, or if picture quality will be good if it's used as a TV later on.
So I'm wondering if people had any thoughts or opinions on the matter, and if you could recommend something to fit my needs, what would you suggest?
Thanks for your help!

There aren't much different between a computer monitor or multi-input HDTV nowadays. Main differences are 16:9 or 16:10 which is 1920x1080 or 1920x1200. If you read a lot of docs, personally, I prefer 16:10 because I can see more lines. If the HDTV has built-in TV tuner and view a lot of older TV shows that is 4:3, 16:10 has less side black borders. Also, HDTV often more input types. You said your X360 is Component Video. So, if you do got with computer monitor, you have to ensure it has Component Video. As with HDMI, just ensure you have at least 2 HDMI inputs or more is better since just about all new player today uses HDMI.

Lastly, check the actual contrast ratio, not dynamic contrast ratio.

One more thing that may or maybe matters to you. Some HDTV Component Video input supports 1080p. X360 Component Video out can only handle 1080i. But PS3 Component Video out can handle 1080p. Another option for you to improve your X360 video out is get a VGA cable because it outputs at 1080p.
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 533
that's not true. if the content is 1080p and DRM-free and your TV/monitor's component ports support 1080p, you can get 1080p over component on the Xbox. that was updated a long time ago.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/697036/industry-insiders-q-a-thread-only-questions-to-insiders-please/2550#post_8478750
post #4 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning toward a monitor. Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I've been holding off on a VGA cable for so long. Microsoft's cable is overpriced and the cheap cables are unreliable! Mostly I just wonder if my Xbox will finally give up the ghost and I can justify a fancy new one with HDMI.

post #5 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

I sometimes game on a monitor and sometimes on a TV. Works great on either. The only real differences is the monitor has no processing and thus less lag/latency and the monitor doesn't have a TV tuner and most likely no speakers.

Regardless of whether you have component or VGA or HDMI, the picture is great to me. If anything, component is slightly inferior to my eyes.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-30-2012, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

that's not true. if the content is 1080p and DRM-free and your TV/monitor's component ports support 1080p, you can get 1080p over component on the Xbox. that was updated a long time ago.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/697036/industry-insiders-q-a-thread-only-questions-to-insiders-please/2550#post_8478750

Thanks for the updated info. I haven't used VGA on my X360 in a long time and didn't know the newer firmware added 1080p. Well, that's great because VGA can be another solution for 1080p. Do you know the split timing on VGA is ever fixed? What you see randomly when scrolling between screens quickly is the screen looks like split into two.

One advantage of VGA on X360 is if you use non-TV standard resolution on computer monitor. X360 supports quite a bit of resolution modes.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-31-2012, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

The downside with VGA is that apparently Microsoft no longer even sells the VGA cable, and all the 3rd party cables are almost universally considered crap. And Microsoft removed the optical out on later VGA cables anyway, so... that sucks for headphone purposes.

So it looks like I'm shopping for an IPS monitor with component input. Or my Xbox has an "accident" so I can convince my wife I need to upgrade. wink.gif

post #8 of 10 Old 08-31-2012, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

given that most monitors now are HDMI or DVI, maybe it is time to upgrade. I use a HDMI to DVI cable when I hook up my 360 to a monitor. The cable was only a couple of bucks at Monoprice.

Microsoft Store is selling a bundle package for $299 that includes 1 year of Xbox Live Gold (that can be appended to the free 1 month), 3 months Hulu Plus, a media remote, the Kinect, and a pair of Kinect games.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/Xbox-360-4-GB-Console/productID.253888000

en-US_Xbox360_4GB_Console_with_Kinect_Direct_Response_Bundle.jpg

And you can migrate your current hard drive over to the 360 S.

Then again, I can't believe you can't find an authentic Microsoft VGA cable anywhere. So if you're looking to use a current monitor, I'd look for the cable. But if you're looking to get a monitor or TV, maybe it's good to shop for a console.

If you have a Kmart nearby, I heard they're selling the Star Wars console bundle for $300 and that's a very slick package.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked: 186
If you're shopping for IPS panel monitor, you're going to go over your budget. There's almost no such thing as an IPS under $300. There's a 24" Asus that I've been looking at that's around $340. But they just announced a 27" model, so I'll be waiting to see a price on that. It has no Component input. Start looking for a used vga cable. Check local gamestops.

That Asus is probably the highest quality, cheapest price you'll find. It's LED lit, I vaguely remember a review saying it has a little bleed through on the edges. The 27" I believe is a full LED backlit monitor. I'm expecting that to be around a $600-800 monitor.

http://www.amazon.com/PA248Q-24-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B008DWH00K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=QTW6GXVK9QSK&coliid=I2GOBG1PCFYD42

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #10 of 10 Old 09-04-2012, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your help, guys. I've decided to search for the VGA cable for now. Just can't justify the price of a new Xbox right now, unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrd View Post

If you're shopping for IPS panel monitor, you're going to go over your budget. There's almost no such thing as an IPS under $300. There's a 24" Asus that I've been looking at that's around $340. But they just announced a 27" model, so I'll be waiting to see a price on that. It has no Component input. Start looking for a used vga cable. Check local gamestops.
That Asus is probably the highest quality, cheapest price you'll find. It's LED lit, I vaguely remember a review saying it has a little bleed through on the edges. The 27" I believe is a full LED backlit monitor. I'm expecting that to be around a $600-800 monitor.
http://www.amazon.com/PA248Q-24-Inch-Screen-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B008DWH00K/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=QTW6GXVK9QSK&coliid=I2GOBG1PCFYD42

It looks like IPS prices are coming down. I found this great chart somewhere: http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php. There are plenty of great deals on IPS screens that are between $200 and $300. But regardless, it's a great list of IPS screens and it seems to be updated fairly regularly. Now it's just a matter of figuring which one will be the most versatile for Xbox/computer/TV use.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page