XBOX Forgotten by Network - Can't Connect to HTPC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-11-2012, 07:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First off, I apologize if this has been answered somewhere here. I tried searching but couldn't find an answer.

FiOS MoCa network with an HTPC and two XBOX's as media extenders
As a media setup, everything worked fine until two weeks ago. Then the HTPC and XBOXs could not find each other...and still can't.
HTPC can still record, play, etc.
XBOX can connect to the Internet including XBOX Live.

Since everything can see the Internet, my guess is that it is some setting that got updated in the network settings, the router or firewall (Windows) but for the life of me I can't find it!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

enrite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2012, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
could any firewall software on the HTPC be blocking access to the xbox?
Old 09-11-2012, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Couple quick things....Not sure if this is your first sojurn in to networking, but, how are your IP's set up? Static, with all shares set in your HTPC? Media Center, or other, for the interface?
Are you in the Dashboard beta? I ask, because the previous update borked my network settings...I have my main ELITE set as static, and in the DMZ. I am in the beta, and after that last update, I lost all my PC connections and shares with my Xbox... some quick trobleshooting revealed that it had re-set me to Auto, for both the IP and DNS settings. My PC's are set to allow the Xbox, shared on the specific IP, MAc settings. they simply were doing as they were told, to filter/block all other inquiries.

"Once you learn good English...Can't nobody take it away!"

Xbox LIVE Gamertag: KEVIN G 40

Old 09-15-2012, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthJersey View Post

could any firewall software on the HTPC be blocking access to the xbox?
This is the most likely cause and you should start here. Disable your firewall for testing purposes. If this resolves your issue then you need to adjust your settings. Windows Firewall should have the proper settings automagically.

Many other common problems can be resolved by reinitializing your connection: 1) delete the WMC connection on your Xbox (there is an option under Settings->Computers iirc). 2) Open WMC on the HTCP and browse to Tasks->Settings->Extender. Right click the Xbox and select "Uninstall." 3) Create a new WMC connection from the 360, enter the 8 digit key on the HTPC, etc. and enjoy. If your library is vast, it can take awhile to populate, particularly over wireless connections.
Old 09-19-2012, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Darn it...thanks for the help...I need to adjust my subscription settings because I didn't get alerts!

After working with WMC support I am very certain the problem are the moca bridges. Plus, I went back to the thread that showed me how to setup Actiontec routers as moca bridges and others are having the same issue I am having:

See post #1027 on this page: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1145636/actiontec-mi424wr-a-cheap-moca-bridge-for-all/1020

I will reconfigure the bridges to see if this works and check the address assignments.

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Oops...should have said that I can connect when I use ethernet through the same router as the HTPC is connected to via ethernet.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrite View Post

Oops...should have said that I can connect when I use ethernet through the same router as the HTPC is connected to via ethernet.
That tells you that your problem lies somewhere in the MoCA bridge setup. I would start at layer 1, test cables for functionality and make sure they are connected properly (that doesn't mean check for a light on your router. Plug them in on a PC and test functionality). Then, if all is well in the cabling world, go through the various posted setup procedures line by line to make sure you don't have a misconfiguration somewhere. If all is well in both of these cases, perhaps one of your bridges is bad?

If you aren't aware, a bridge is a layer 2 device that forwards frames from one network segment to the other. It is a very simple device and it has zero interaction with the 360 or PC. From their point of view, anything below Layer 3, e.g. the bridge, is irrelevant. They don't care or even determine how they connect, only that they are connected.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

That tells you that your problem lies somewhere in the MoCA bridge setup. I would start at layer 1, test cables for functionality and make sure they are connected properly (that doesn't mean check for a light on your router. Plug them in on a PC and test functionality). Then, if all is well in the cabling world, go through the various posted setup procedures line by line to make sure you don't have a misconfiguration somewhere. If all is well in both of these cases, perhaps one of your bridges is bad?
If you aren't aware, a bridge is a layer 2 device that forwards frames from one network segment to the other. It is a very simple device and it has zero interaction with the 360 or PC. From their point of view, anything below Layer 3, e.g. the bridge, is irrelevant. They don't care or even determine how they connect, only that they are connected.

I thought that, but then I can't connect via wireless either...still get to the Internet/XBOX Live but not WMC. I might try a full reinstall of Windows 7. If it still doesn't work then it is something to do with the XBOXs
Old 09-21-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 582
wireless DHCP can be problematic, especially if you put in a lot of things like MAC filtering, assigned IPs, etc.

I bet your wireless problem goes away if you set static IPs. on the Xbox, set a static IP. and in the router, assign that IP specifically for the Xbox.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:59 PM

Liked: 11
Enrite,

Not sure if your still having your problem or not, but I experienced pretty much the same thing in similar setup. I have a post in the other thread that you mentioned which explains my troubleshooting effort in a little more detail, but here is what I did to get my xbox and wmc talking again:

See post 1045 for full details
Quote:
1) Hard reset the problematic MI424WR (with the power on, hold the reset button for 20 seconds, release)
2) Go into the advanced settings and uncheck automatic time update. (you probably want to do this before the router reconnects to the WAN, so you may want to leave the coax disconnected until you've completed the configuration, and i'm guessing the date just needs to be set sometime before sep 2012). I left the date set at its default (2007).

I did this last Friday evening and it has been going strong for the past 4 days. I'd be curious to see if this actually works for you or anyone else.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasnickel View Post

Enrite,
Not sure if your still having your problem or not, but I experienced pretty much the same thing in similar setup. I have a post in the other thread that you mentioned which explains my troubleshooting effort in a little more detail, but here is what I did to get my xbox and wmc talking again:
See post 1045 for full details
I did this last Friday evening and it has been going strong for the past 4 days. I'd be curious to see if this actually works for you or anyone else.

Yes, yes, o yes! This did it! Many thanks.

I had actually just given up hope but decided to revisit this thread. I must have my subscriptions all messed up because I didn't see your post to now!

Works like a charm!

Many, many thanks!

enrite