Halo 4: Who's getting it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 09-15-2012, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Who here is getting Halo 4?

I'm not sure if it's urban myth but I've heard if you own an Xbox it's a requirement to own at least one copy of a Halo game or the MS police can confiscate your console smile.gif

DigitalBBQ.net | An online community for older gamers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 09-15-2012, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I'll definitely be getting a copy. While I have no interest in multiplayer (haven't done MP on Halo since the second game, though co-op might be fun) I have always enjoyed the single player adventures and the universe that they have created and continue to expand. So from that perspective I am curious to see where the story goes next.
post #3 of 30 Old 09-16-2012, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post

Who here is getting Halo 4?
I'm not sure if it's urban myth but I've heard if you own an Xbox it's a requirement to own at least one copy of a Halo game or the MS police can confiscate your console smile.gif

Agreed, I know a lot of people buy this game solely for the online aspect but I thoroughly enjoy the single player experience too. Co-op mode is a great way to play as well, my 9 old son and I have had a lot of fun times going through the story modes together.

post #4 of 30 Old 09-16-2012, 11:00 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am Canadian View Post

Agreed, I know a lot of people buy this game solely for the online aspect but I thoroughly enjoy the single player experience too. Co-op mode is a great way to play as well, my 9 old son and I have had a lot of fun times going through the story modes together.

The family that slays together stays together...I haven't played with my kids but it's one of the few game series my wife enjoys playing with me. I don't play much online.
post #5 of 30 Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 PM

Yeah, I'm with you guys on that. I do play multiplayer but only enjoy it for the first 6-10 months its out, then it goes to hell. My wife and I play alot as well, fun times! I'll probably pick this up, if not two.
post #6 of 30 Old 09-17-2012, 06:33 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
I rented the most recent HALO and just could not get into it at all for whatever reason. I might give this a rent at some point if the reviews are good, but otherwise I think HALO is just not my cup of tea.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #7 of 30 Old 09-17-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I'll pick it up for the SP. I enjoyed Reach & 3 quite a bit.

Salminella Now Better with Kinect: 360 PSN

Official member and mascot of the AVS' Xbox 360 Elite Club of Awesomeness
post #8 of 30 Old 09-17-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 30
Halo Reach was one of my favorite Halo's so I am up for a new installment. I just continue to hope the Flood doesnt magically reappear.
post #9 of 30 Old 09-17-2012, 10:45 AM

Liked: 16
I still remember playing through the first Halo with a friend, and despite how famous Halo had become, I hadn't heard a thing about the Flood. When we reached that level... man, it blew my mind! Gotta pick up Halo 4, because it's the Master Chief! I think any Halo fan these days is more in it for the story and the SP than the MP.

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #10 of 30 Old 09-17-2012, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHDTVDiet View Post

Halo Reach was one of my favorite Halo's so I am up for a new installment. I just continue to hope the Flood doesnt magically reappear.

Pretty funny... My 9 year old son and I were playing through Halo 3 again a couple of weeks back and we had to stop at the level the flood was about appear.

post #11 of 30 Old 09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 26
A definite buy for me, the only Halo game I haven't bought is Halo Wars as that's not even a real Halo game for me. I love the Halo universe. The books are great and I'm looking forward to next month when we get started on Forward Unto Dawn.

post #12 of 30 Old 09-19-2012, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 493
for someone that is into the Halo universe and loves the books, you should get Halo Wars as it does add a lot to the story universe. it's fun too
post #13 of 30 Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Although the cinematics were freakin' awesome I see the game as a stain on the franchise. Maybe it's just because I can't get past the fact it's a strategy game.

post #14 of 30 Old 09-19-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

a stain on the franchise? melodramatic, eh...

Halo is defined by the stories and the characters. not what type of game it is. otherwise, it's just another FPS...
post #15 of 30 Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, Halo will always be a FPS, and in game form should be presented as such. Additional stories can be told via the novels and comics which are incredible but a strategy game with a Halo coat of paint does nothing for me personally.

post #16 of 30 Old 09-20-2012, 10:04 AM

i am
post #17 of 30 Old 09-20-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 333
I might. Halo just feels so slow.

Only game I'm buying for sure is BLOPS2.

Xbox Live & PSN gamertag- Daekwan
www.facebook.com/Daekwan
post #18 of 30 Old 09-21-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

For me, Halo will always be a FPS, and in game form should be presented as such. Additional stories can be told via the novels and comics which are incredible but a strategy game with a Halo coat of paint does nothing for me personally.

Ironically, Halo was originally supposed to be an RTS style game before Bungie decided to turn it into an FPS. So in a way, Halo Wars is truer to the game's original vision than any of the other entries.

I don't care for strategy games at all but the Halo license was enough for me to give the game a try and I found it accessible enough to play it through to the end. Graphically, its just a beautiful game to look at and the cinemas were also really well done.
post #19 of 30 Old 09-21-2012, 04:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

Ironically, Halo was originally supposed to be an RTS style game before Bungie decided to turn it into an FPS. So in a way, Halo Wars is truer to the game's original vision than any of the other entries.
I don't care for strategy games at all but the Halo license was enough for me to give the game a try and I found it accessible enough to play it through to the end. Graphically, its just a beautiful game to look at and the cinemas were also really well done.

Yes, I have seen the game renders of the early development. Thank God they chose to go the FPS route. The concept may have initially been RTS with a lot of effort towards that but that concept was abandoned. I must admit I'm surprised to hear someone call the Halo Wars gameplay beautiful, the cinematics on the other hand set the bar for the entire Halo series and I don't think they have been equaled yet but in what I find typical RTS fashion is the over compensation in the cinematics because the cinematics in no way represent the gameplay. WOW, although a different genre of gmae has the same problem, unfreakin' believable cinematics with basically cartoony graphics. Don't get me wrong, I know games like Call of Duty or Battlefield look more real than Halo, the FPS games but the Halo FPS games look a lot more real than Halo Wars or WOW.

I wish the studios that do these amazing cinematics would start doing more movies. Can you imagine a Halo animated movie done with the Halo Wars cinematic animation engine or a World of Warcraft movie that looks like the WOW cinematics. Of course a good story becomes a very important part. The Final Fantasy series at least broke the ground but I found the movies a bit boring, maybe that's just because I'm not a FF fan. The Resident Evil animated movies I liked more.

post #20 of 30 Old 09-22-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

While the in-game graphics were nowhere near as good as the cinematics, I must admit that I did enjoy seeing the hardware of the Halo universe displayed in the isometric style of an RTS game and it was somewhat fun for me to build up resources, construct outposts and then deploy a fleet of warthogs or have a bunch of falcons fly across the playing field and wreak damage. I'm sure that the way I played the game would have made a true RTS fan shudder in horror but again I was able to have some fun with it and get to experience the technology of the Halo franchise in a different way. I have no desire to really see another RTS Halo game but as a one-off, it was an interesting experience.

I've always felt that a motion captured, full-CGI movie is the way to go with Halo and I'm really surprised that Microsoft never explored that avenue when it was pushing its script to all the movie studios. To my way of thinking, the pleothora of alien species and endless variations of spaceships and other hardware would make a live action movie impossibly expensive (assuming that the filmmakers actually wanted to do it right). But with CG you can manage those costs and, as long as the story is compelling and the performances solid, still put on a good show. Mo-capped CG productions like Beowulf and A Christmas Carol have shown that the approach can work and be commercially viable if you plan it out and take the time to do it right.
post #21 of 30 Old 09-22-2012, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

for some reason, people don't like motion captured realistic CGI movies. all the popular CG animated movies look like cartoons. all the realistic ones bombed (Christmas Carol, Beowulf, Final Fantasy, etc.).
post #22 of 30 Old 09-22-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I've always felt that a motion captured, full-CGI movie is the way to go with Halo and I'm really surprised that Microsoft never explored that avenue when it was pushing its script to all the movie studios. To my way of thinking, the pleothora of alien species and endless variations of spaceships and other hardware would make a live action movie impossibly expensive (assuming that the filmmakers actually wanted to do it right). But with CG you can manage those costs and, as long as the story is compelling and the performances solid, still put on a good show. Mo-capped CG productions like Beowulf and A Christmas Carol have shown that the approach can work and be commercially viable if you plan it out and take the time to do it right.

I agree, to do Halo right would need a huge budget and a CGI movie seems much more practical. After reading the novels and being exposed to some of the epic space battles between the ships that's something I would love to see realized on screen. I love the Chief and the Spartans but man were there some wicked space battles. I'm hoping that the Forward Unto Dawn mini series which will start in a week or so will prove to be a good stepping stone to a true motion picture. I have really enjoyed the live action Halo commercials for the past few games and this series is the next logical step from those. I just hope I get to see a real Halo movie before I die.

post #23 of 30 Old 09-22-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

for some reason, people don't like motion captured realistic CGI movies. all the popular CG animated movies look like cartoons. all the realistic ones bombed (Christmas Carol, Beowulf, Final Fantasy, etc.).

This is very true.

post #24 of 30 Old 09-23-2012, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

Uncanny valley did them in. The closer these cg movies try to get to realism the worse the audience reaction will be to them. I don't understand the need to try to go for ultrarealism. Just keep it skewed towards unrealistic yet graphically impressive. It's worked for Pixar so far.
post #25 of 30 Old 09-24-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 290
I've already pre-ordered my copy... very much looking forward to it and now that I can finally create my own classes this might just get more time than COD.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #26 of 30 Old 09-24-2012, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 219
I am definitely buying this game early. Because I absolutely love all things Halo. But...maybe it's just me...I am getting a little concerned that Team Halo is overselling Halo 4 too early & too much. And blowing a lot of the suspense and drama for me. I feel like I already know how this one will end. With a Cortana & Master Chief cliffhanger.
post #27 of 30 Old 09-24-2012, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod#S View Post

I agree, to do Halo right would need a huge budget and a CGI movie seems much more practical. After reading the novels and being exposed to some of the epic space battles between the ships that's something I would love to see realized on screen. I love the Chief and the Spartans but man were there some wicked space battles. I'm hoping that the Forward Unto Dawn mini series which will start in a week or so will prove to be a good stepping stone to a true motion picture. I have really enjoyed the live action Halo commercials for the past few games and this series is the next logical step from those. I just hope I get to see a real Halo movie before I die.

Watch Starship Troopers: Invasion and you get a pretty good idea how awesome a full CGI Halo movie could be if the right talent and budget were put together.
post #28 of 30 Old 09-24-2012, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

that CGI Starship Troopers movie has only grossed $200K after 5 weeks, and has a user-reviewed average rating of 5.8/10 at imdb...

not saying that a CGI Halo wouldn't be great. In fact, The Package in Halo Legends was my favorite segment of Halo Legends.

small clip of The Package:

man, this vid makes me want to go back and watch the whole sequence again. the guy who posted this to Youtube was very clever. he mirrored the video so that the automated DMCA filters wouldn't catch his video and have it removed from Youtube.

but in terms of the box office for mass appeal, it hasn't been shown that realistic animated movies can succeed.
post #29 of 30 Old 09-27-2012, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

A quick perusal of Boxofficemojo.com yielded the following stats on the global box office for some CG motion-captured movies:

The Adventures of Tin Tin: $374 million
Polar Express: $307 million
A Christmas Carol: $325 million
Beowulf: $196 million

That's just box office and doesn't include other revenues like rentals and DVD/BluRay sales. There is definitely some demand for this style of filmmaking and the failure of other films probably has as much to do with the subject matter and quality of the finished production as anything else.
post #30 of 30 Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 AM

Liked: 123
No interest in this whatsoever. Maybe a rental in a couple of years, just to blaze through the story in a day or two and see if the game ever gets better.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page