Wireless headset with hd av cable (optical) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 09-25-2012, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all, sorry if this has been covered but I searched and didn't come up with anything matching my weird situation.. So, I have one of the original 360s (no hdmi) and I use the hd av cable for component HD and optical 5.1 audio to my denon receiver.. Lately, I've been waking up the wife and kids with my late night gaming so I picked up an afterglow wireless headset to keep things quiet.. Apparently the thing (and most gaming headsets in general) rely on rca connectors from the dongle coming right out of the back of the 360.. Well, the hd av cable only has the optical connector directly on the side of the xbox and male rca on the other end (along with the component cables which hook into my receiver).. The male rca's just hang off to the side since I use optical.. I'm wondering if there's some adapter I don't know about that will allow me to use a wireless headset at night while not losing the ability to have dd 5.1 through my receiver during the day. Or, a different headset that will let me do that without breaking the bank.. Wow, this post got long, thanks for any advice though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-26-2012, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Solved my problem.. It was quite easy actually.. I thought, why bother with the av cables from the xbox when my AVR has a headphone jack.. It is a large connector, so the first thing I needed was a jack that converts to 3.5 mm on the other side. Once I had that, I needed a Y cable that went from 3.5 mm to dual rca's (which I also happened to have).. So, I connect the usb dongle that came with the headset into the xbox, and the rca cables into the y-cable plugged into the headphone jack of my AVR.. Bingo- sounds great. Of course, now I'm feeling a little stupid for dropping 90 bucks on wireless headphones when I could just drag a headphone cord about 8 ft across the floor when I need them.
post #3 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 07:43 AM

Liked: 10
I bought the exact same pair of headphones and haven't been able to get them to work on my Denon AVR-3808ci. I've been connecting to them the RCA plugs from the USB dongle to the back on the receiver. Could you link me to a pic of this y adapter that the RCA plugs from the USB dongle plug into that then plug into a 3.5mm to 1/4" headphone jack adapter (which I already have too)?
post #4 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 08:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldozer36 View Post

Could you link me to a pic of this y adapter that the RCA plugs from the USB dongle plug into that then plug into a 3.5mm to 1/4" headphone jack adapter (which I already have too)?

Hi Bulldozer36, confused why not disconnect the RCA cable at its breakaway (USB Transmitter) to expose the 3.5mm male and plug it to the 3.5mm to 1/4 headphone jack adapter you have already?

Otherwise the RCA to 3.5mm Y adaptor looks like this (here).
post #5 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Bulldozer36, confused why not disconnect the RCA cable at its breakaway (USB Transmitter) to expose the 3.5mm male and plug it to the 3.5mm to 1/4 headphone jack adapter you have already?
Otherwise the RCA to 3.5mm Y adaptor looks like this (here).

I've done that and it still didn't work. Is it not possible if the 360 is connected by HDMI (which mine is)?
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 08:26 AM

Do I need to change the settings of my receiver if I plug the USB dongle directly into the headphones jack?
post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2012, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldozer36
I've done that and it still didn't work. Is it not possible if the 360 is connected by HDMI (which mine is)?
Quote:
... 3.5mm to 1/4" headphone jack adapter (which I already have too)?

Should not be a problem running HDMI and RCA cables together. Is the 3.5mm to 1/4" headphone jack adapter you have a mono 1 band or stereo 2 band? The stereo should be the correct adapter.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page