Bethesda's Dishonored - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 09-29-2012, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I get the feeling this one is kind of flying under the radar but I am stoked (does anyone still say stoked?) for it.
Form Bethesda (Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim).
I think it looks awesome and can't wait to get my copy. Supposed to hit the shelves 10/9/2012
Anyone else looking forward to Dishonored??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 09-29-2012, 08:59 PM

Liked: 93
This title is anything but flying under the radar. Ads for it are everywhere, in every medium. Bethesda is a marketting master and it shows.

Looking back at Bethesda's publishing record paints a very disappointing picture though. If it isn't also developed by Bethesda, or id, then the end product is invariably sub-par. There is usually enough new and interesting stuff to get people interested, but Bethesda seems to poach publishing rights for studios that have run out of cash and then feed them just enough to spit out a product that is "finished enough". Look at Wet. Look at Hunted. Look at Brink. Look at Rogue Warrior. Look at Call Of Cthulhu. Every one of them marketed extremely well. Every one of them unpolished, unfinished, and mediocre.

There is zero reason to be excited about Dishonored until it is on shelves, in human hands, and well received. The odds of that though are exceedingly slim. Chances are very favorable that it will come out, obviously have needed six more months of polish in order to be a pleasant experience, and will be $20 by January.
post #3 of 19 Old 09-29-2012, 09:03 PM

"Form Bethesda (Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim)."

And no, it's not "form" Bethesda. It's from Arkane, developers of such mediocre product as Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic and the entirely unnessecary money-grab that is Bioshock 2.
post #4 of 19 Old 09-30-2012, 10:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeGuy View Post

I get the feeling this one is kind of flying under the radar but I am stoked (does anyone still say stoked?) for it.
Form Bethesda (Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim).
I think it looks awesome and can't wait to get my copy. Supposed to hit the shelves 10/9/2012
Anyone else looking forward to Dishonored??

It looks interesting...but their track record is so poor. I'll start paying attention once the reviews come in.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #5 of 19 Old 09-30-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"Form Bethesda (Fallout 3, Oblivion, Skyrim)."
And no, it's not "form" Bethesda. It's from Arkane, developers of such mediocre product as Dark Messiah Of Might And Magic and the entirely unnessecary money-grab that is Bioshock 2.

Aside from the ending I kinda enjoyed Bioshock 2. It wasn't that bad although it was more of the same. You're right though it was definitely a money grab. Hopefully Infinite provides an original enough story to get me interested.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 Old 09-30-2012, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcweber111 View Post

Aside from the ending I kinda enjoyed Bioshock 2. It wasn't that bad although it was more of the same. You're right though it was definitely a money grab. Hopefully Infinite provides an original enough story to get me interested.

I'll actually go one further and say that Bioshock 2 was better than the original. Once I got past the underwater setting (admittedly an original touch), I found the rest of the first game underwhelming. Most levels were simple fetch and assemble quests, you only really needed 3 or 4 of your special abilities (the rest were superfluous), the underwater setting almost never factored into the gameplay and the ending was beyond disappointing. Bioshock 2 addressed a lot of those problems and while the ending was still somewhat weak the game at least made use of the underwater environment and allowed you to actually leave Rapture for brief periods. The gameplay was also more interesting to me with a better balance of action and puzzles.

As for Dishonored, I haven't followed the game closely but my main concern based on what I've seen so far is that while the kill mechanics seem interesting, the story seems to be on the thin side (at least it hasn't been the focus of the promo materials for the game I've seen so far).
post #7 of 19 Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hmm, surprised there are no early leaks and broken street date reviews yet.

From what I've gathered, someone rushed through the game on Easy, skipped all sidequests and cutscenes, and managed to finish the game in 4 hours. I'm not worried about that, though, Skyrim could be finished in under 10 hours if you were to rush through.

I'll wait for a few reviews and prices drops. Arkane does not have a good track record so I'm a bit pessimistic on this one.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-07-2012, 01:56 PM

Liked: 10
Kill mechanics look interesting but I've never understood the whole "steam punk" genre. Doesn't hold much appeal to me personally.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Steam punk is what happens when goths discover brown.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-08-2012, 07:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 1393
It's getting some pretty excellent reviews, so it's got my attention...I still feel like I need a demo though.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #11 of 19 Old 10-08-2012, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
I got it on Gamefly and they shipped it on Saturday, so hopefully I will have it tomorrow and can play through it before Black Ops comes out.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #12 of 19 Old 10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 420
This is getting really high reviews but a turn off of mine I read was that it had few levels, but to be fair exploration made it a lot longer. Dont know but its a definite Gamefly rental for me.
post #13 of 19 Old 10-10-2012, 05:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
This game is wayyyy better then I thought it would be. Graphics are good, not as good as I thought they would be but another unreal engine looking game. Very impressed with how you can customize your gameplay in so many different ways. The skills also let you completely tailor your gameplay even more. Game can actually be pretty easy at times so I may bump up the difficulty. Overall, after a few hours of playing, pretty darn good game.

post #14 of 19 Old 10-10-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Maybe I am missing something with this game. The graphics to me look pretty bad, and it is just a boring game. I don't know how long I can put up with it with the really good games coming out soon.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #15 of 19 Old 10-10-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I picked this up yesterday and am on the third mission. While it hasn't bowled me over in any way, I am having fun with it. The graphics are good (if sparse) - a mix of art styles from Bioshock and Fable to my eyes. The control is responsive and I like the mix of traditional weapons and magic. The story is also pretty interesting with some decent voicework. Best of all, the game allows you to save anywhere which is a must if you really want to go all stealth. I'm not wild about the fact that even though I'm only on Level 3 I am already revisiting areas I've already been to as I perform different tasks; this would suggest the game world isn't as big as it should be. I haven't seen anything yet that would warrant some of the over the top positive reviews I've read but it does seem to be a well made game.
post #16 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Traded in Borderlands and picked up Dishonored. Borderlands, yuck, I'm one of the few people on the earth that just can't get into Borderlands. Skaggs in my face every step of the way. I like open worlds and can play Skyrim and Fallout all day long but borderlands. Forgetaboutit.
Dishonored so far reminds me very much of Bioshock. All the way down to the heads up notification on missions and slotting powers in menu. I'm trying to play without killing sneaking up and sleeper hold and sleep crossbolts. I'm liking the game so far. Nice atmosphere. Have to carry dead bodies to keep rats away. :0
Best thing, No Skaggs.
post #17 of 19 Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 179
I had to trade mine in, just couldn't do it anymore. I found I was forcing myself to play it longer. It just got so boring, nothing changed, nothing new happened. It was just to much for me and when I dread putting a game in, it is time to get rid of it.

post #18 of 19 Old 06-19-2013, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I rented it a few weeks ago, and bought it at $20.

If there's one thing I dislike most, it's that Easy doesn't seem to have less eagle-eyed enemies than Normal. Not willing to retry the opening a million times to learn how to duck the guards in Normal, I set it to Easy and STILL was seen. Eventually I just timed a few runs correctly and was OK. Starting the second real mission soon. Those no-kills and no-spotted Achievements are going to take a while, but I think I'll make it. Think...

LIVE: mikepaul
PSN: mikewpaul
post #19 of 19 Old 06-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamR View Post

I had to trade mine in, just couldn't do it anymore. I found I was forcing myself to play it longer. It just got so boring, nothing changed, nothing new happened. It was just to much for me and when I dread putting a game in, it is time to get rid of it.

I started playing this recently and it was fun at first but it got repetitive and boring REALLY fast. Kind of wish i hadn't bought it or ever played it now.

Xbox Live/PSN: bucwylde23

Daekwan: What makes a grown man want to be a troll like this?

coyote_5:

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page