Forza Horizon - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 83 Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The best word I can think of to describe FH is "aimless". And it's apparent failure at retail doesn't do the Forza branding any favors either. At least Project CARS, coming next year looks promising. Depending on how it turns out, I may have to finally break down and get a real PC gaming rig to play it on, 'cause it looks like the ol' 360 just won't do it justice.

XBL GT: deathpallie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Some people expected this game to be Forza 4.5 and it is simply not. Nor was it meant to be. It's a much better series spinoff than Dirt Showdown (and has a lot more content for a full priced game.)
post #63 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
$15 black friday sale from microsoft store....and free shipping. I believe horizon is worth that.

post #64 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThru22 View Post

Some people expected this game to be Forza 4.5 and it is simply not. Nor was it meant to be. It's a much better series spinoff than Dirt Showdown (and has a lot more content for a full priced game.)

I didn't expect it to be FM 4.5 at all. I just expected it to be the best Forza Horizon 1.0 possible, but some mind bogglingly stupid decisions by the game developers prevented that from happeining. No class restrictions on the rivals speed cams, head on collisions with traffic that barely slow you down, while a small bush brings you to a complete halt, racing events where all the tracks look identical, a car list that's full of European exotics and little else, an almost complete lack of vibration when using a controller, no fixed replay cameras, custom liveries not showing up in multiplayer, the Alice Hart character CONSTANTLY telling you that you should buy something at the auto show, the list goes on and on. So no, I wasn't expecting FM 4.5, I was expecting something more like TDU 2.5, and they pretty much botched it. IMO.

post #65 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
a lot of those game design decisions are made to keep you playing. like the lack of class restrictions on the speed cams. your friend beat you in a Aventador? you need to race more to earn a similar class car.

i don't know about full of Euro exotics and nothing more. I'm driving my Scion FR-S a lot. Still using my Mitsu Evo a good amount.

The replay cams are set up differently in Horizon. At first, I was hating it because it seemed like there were so few views, but you have to play with the controls because they layered the camera views to fit in more views. In fact, there's probably more views than in Forza Motorsport 4.

I don't know about the traffic all being the same. I can distinguish a Toyota Prius from a bus from a Ford F150 from a Fiat Abarth.

I do agree on the head-on collisions though. There should be more consequence to it. It's like bumper cars.

And the controller vibrations should be stronger. I think they weakened the basic vibrations so that when they do the showcase events, they really turn on the vibration. Like when the biplane buzzes you, the controller really rocks.
post #66 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

a lot of those game design decisions are made to keep you playing. like the lack of class restrictions on the speed cams. your friend beat you in a Aventador? you need to race more to earn a similar class car.
i don't know about full of Euro exotics and nothing more.

The lack of having separateate classes in the speed cam challenges are what keep me from caring about them. You beat me in an R1 class car, so I just plow through in my own R class to beat you? Uh, no. That is what kills the interest factor. Give multipleule classes to compete with you in, not just the fastest. I don't really care about R class, so I don't care if you beat me in that class. But if you beat me in say C or B, I'll keep racing till I beat you. Again, it comes down to foolish game design choices, or in this case, lack of choice. As far as the car selection, out of the 150 or so cars, about 40 of them are supercars. Thats a pretty damn high percentage of one type. Clearly designed to appeal to the younger/casual crowd.

I know I've been ragging on this game, but it's just so disappointing to me.

post #67 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

all games have grinding. if you choose not to drive more often to earn higher cars, that's your choice. your friends put in the time to get better cars and better times, so can you.
post #68 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 93
Faster cars are not better cars. For my personal taste, "B" class cars are where I have the most fun. Good performance with great control. Control of the vehicle becomes more of a problem with faster cars, and with that lack of control comes frustration. So, if every challenge is unlocked to class, then I won't bother playing them as I have very little interest in running super cars. This is bad design choice, not a lack of grinding on the player's part.
post #69 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM
AVS Special Member

well, if you can do the speed traps with B class cars, that lends further evidence that it's not needed to have class-based times on the speed traps.

I also agree that faster cars aren't better.
post #70 of 83 Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

all games have grinding. if you choose not to drive more often to earn higher cars, that's your choice. your friends put in the time to get better cars and better times, so can you.

I don't have to drive more to "earn" the higher end cars. I've earned enough credits in my storefront alone to buy just about every car in the game. But I chose not to drop coin on the supercars that dominate the car list simply because they don't interest me. There's just not enough divirsity in the car selection to appeal to someone like me. And where's the fun or challenge in just upgrading the supercars/racecars to hit the top speed on the traps? Seperate it into classes and it becomes much more diverse and involving. It gives you more cars and builds to experiment with. I don't see why people can't understand that. And as for "putting the time in", no- it doesn't take much time to build the few cars that are capable of hitting the top of the speed traps when there's only one class option to do it in. Again, foolish design choices.

post #71 of 83 Old 12-03-2012, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 93
Okay. My $15 copy came in, so I spent some non-demo time with this. My demo impressions still hold up very well. Forza Horizon is an extremely polished, soulless corporate product. Peaking through the polish though are some pretty glaring problems.

The map is minuscule. In three play sessions I did 100% exploration of all 216 roads. This puts the map size at roughly a fifth of Test Drive Unlimited, and probably 1/15 the size of TDU2. The fact that the game is almost entirely tunnels-disguised-as-roads helps reinforce that claustrophobic feeling even further.

The misogyny is blatant and abundant. Women exist in this game exclusively for the camera to zoom in on their asses in hot pants. Any time a female voice comes through the speakers, it drips with the sound of "I was designed by committee to sound sexually exciting". It's obvious and it's insulting.

The audio cues ignore your progress in the game, and repeat themselves endlessly. "Hey, did you know you can smash signs for a discount?!?" comes in over my radio moments after smashing sign 84/100. "Hey, come run this sponsored event!" is repeated to me every three minutes over my character's headset, even though I am obviously ignoring it because I'm having fun doing something else.

The map hates the player. TDU lets you fast travel to anywhere that you have previously driven. Forza requires a fee, and even then you spend far too much time driving between events. There is no good reason for this, and the better example obviously already exists to emulate.

Free-To-Play micro-transactions are so liberally littered throughout the game, and constantly thrown in your face, that I feel ripped off spending even $15 on this crap. "Want a new car? Give us two dollars! Oh you have credits? Are you sure you don't want to give us two dollars anyway? Alright...." "Want to look at the map? Here's a reminder that you can give us $5 for a better version!" This is how you run a F2P South Korean MMO, not how you run a $60 retail game.

This game hates you as the player. I guarantee that you have something else sitting on your shelf waiting to be played that is far more deserving of your attention. Oh, you don't have anything else to play right now? Allow me to recommend 50 Cent: Blood On The Sand. It is somehow less misogynistic than this racing game, it's borderline racist, but it's also so tongue-in-cheek that it pulls it off brilliantly. It is far closer to social commentary than outright offensive, is a very solid cover-shooter, and is far, far more enjoyable than Forza Horizon.

http://www.amazon.com/50-Cent-Blood-Sand-Xbox-360/dp/B0018092BE

We have two hopes: A) Forza Horizon sells so terribly that Microsoft kills the spin-off outright. B) Playground picks up some people from the shuttered Eden and learns from them how to make an open world racer that loves the player.

AVOID THIS GAME.
post #72 of 83 Old 12-03-2012, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

ummm... okay...

I've put in a lot of hours into this game and I haven't covered all the roads. Yes, if you make it a point to just drive all the roads without doing anything, you can probably cover them quickly. But not in the natural course of gaming.

Misogyny is blatant and abundant? There's barely any girls in the game! Besides, have you ever attended a car show? Or better yet, an import auto show? You say this is as misogynistic as those events? It's not even close.
post #73 of 83 Old 12-04-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

We have one hope: The hater's gon hate and the winner's gon get another one of these games!
post #74 of 83 Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 PM
AVS Special Member

alright, since I'm a Forza Horizon n00b, I thought a spreadsheet would help me and others.

I created a spreadsheet and it's editable by anyone that wants to make additions to it. I did my best to check for typos but if any of you see typos, please correct it and put in the notes that you corrected it. Also, since some cars are repeated, if the car is slightly different (for example, you have the default Viper and the special Forza Horizon Viper), please put both down and note it in the notes that they're 2 separate entries.

Please make sure that you do not enter a car that's already on the list. Only enter again if it's slightly different.

And if you made changes to the car, if you cannot remember the original settings, please put in the notes that you modified the car.

I'd like original numbers for the cars as much as possible.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqRIaiTCmBfMdHp4Zlh3elhEVmt1eHNLcGQtVlJZMlE

this spreadsheet is completely open so if you need to sort it (e.g., by AWD), then do so.

I was informed there was a comprehensive spreadsheet at the official forza motorsport forum. here, it is. it's pretty amazing. however, it's completely locked as far as I can tell:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Av_kcTrf_YFedG1EbmVvaVB4TV9kaEJWbm9wY3NzQWc#gid=12
post #75 of 83 Old 12-10-2012, 06:19 AM

Liked: 10
I could go on and on about how disappointed the game left me, but most of you have brought that out in the open.

It might have been a little easy to accept it for what it is, if it didn't start with the Forza name. mad.gif

That's all I'm going to say. Aside from the day/night cycle, and interesting take on graphics (not always), pretty much everything else felt like a step backwards.

I tried enjoying it. Put it down in just an hour. Went back to it a couple of times, played it for a total of 20 hours or so maybe, and I'm back on FM4.

I couldn't believe how much full, rich and polished FM4 feels after playing Horizon, as it's solely a T10 product. And it seemed to overshadow FH all the more, to me at least. I don't mind open road/world games at all, as long as they do justice to the cars. And by that I mean realistic/believable physics and true to life engine sounds. FM4 has it all, Horizon doesn't.

Gotta cut them some slack I suppose, it's their first attempt. Maybe Horizon 2 on the next Xbox will be a little more bold and innovative in their approach. I think marrying the FM formula as it is, to the open road setting of Horizon would keep everybody happy, particularly the FM4 loyalists.

Oh well, the game industry is just like any other industry; sometimes politics and other nonsense probably get the best of it, and products come out half-finished.

Really glad I got FM4 to fall back on! biggrin.gif
post #76 of 83 Old 12-11-2012, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

cool behind-the-scenes for Forza Horizon's audio...
post #77 of 83 Old 12-14-2012, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 122
The sole reason I love Forza 4 is for the handling of the cars. If its a step backward for that gameplay element in this game, then I'm not buying it. There are so many other great games to play, I don't mind waiting til it gets done right. That, or just go back to Forza 4 - it's an amazing game and seems to never get boring for me

post #78 of 83 Old 12-14-2012, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Forza Horizon Rally Expansion with cars, tracks included:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-FSzvyzOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrVewVfbLlQ
post #79 of 83 Old 12-18-2012, 11:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Forza Horizon Rally Expansion with cars, tracks included:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9-FSzvyzOwhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrVewVfbLlQ

Five cars. Count'em- five. No new roads for the rally racing, just the same roads with a few ruts and rocks. And for only 1600 MSP's! This game is quickly going from dissappointing to epic failure.

post #80 of 83 Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

I didn't recognize those roads in the base game. did you even play the game?

I am disappointed to read that the free roam world is not expanded but rather, the new tracks are completely separate.

reviews are slowly trickling out:
http://www.savingcontent.com/video-game-review/forza-horizon-rally-expansion-pack/

If you’re curious of how to access the new content once you’ve downloaded the 1.01GB DLC, you’ll find it straight on the main menu, titled “Horizon Rally”.

What immediately got my attention was the force feedback on the controller. It was one of my gripes in my review of the base game, seemingly fixed here as the surfaces of the road provide a great rumble sensation that was very much missing even on mixed surface roads. The Rally courses are varied, consisting of 4 stages and every 2 stages is a forward and reverse version of that track.

There’s only five new cars added to the game, and for use in the expansion, but they have brand new rally bodyparts and upgrades that can be applied. Luckily you can use the Rally cars in the main game. But sadly you can’t Free Roam to any of the Rally Stages and explore them.

If the price is putting you off from purchase, you should reconsider. This $20 DLC purchase offers new events in new locations with new cars to race with. It’s a true expansion pack in the traditional use of the word. The Rally Expansion Pack adds hours of new content and challenge that was missing from the main game and feels like it could be just a sampling of another game all it’s own. Playground Games also paid special attention to how rally works and the co-driver is precise and accurate.
post #81 of 83 Old 12-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I didn't recognize those roads in the base game. did you even play the game?
I am disappointed to read that the free roam world is not expanded but rather, the new tracks are completely separate.
reviews are slowly trickling out:
http://www.savingcontent.com/video-game-review/forza-horizon-rally-expansion-pack/
If you’re curious of how to access the new content once you’ve downloaded the 1.01GB DLC, you’ll find it straight on the main menu, titled “Horizon Rally”.
What immediately got my attention was the force feedback on the controller. It was one of my gripes in my review of the base game, seemingly fixed here as the surfaces of the road provide a great rumble sensation that was very much missing even on mixed surface roads. The Rally courses are varied, consisting of 4 stages and every 2 stages is a forward and reverse version of that track.
There’s only five new cars added to the game, and for use in the expansion, but they have brand new rally bodyparts and upgrades that can be applied. Luckily you can use the Rally cars in the main game. But sadly you can’t Free Roam to any of the Rally Stages and explore them.
If the price is putting you off from purchase, you should reconsider. This $20 DLC purchase offers new events in new locations with new cars to race with. It’s a true expansion pack in the traditional use of the word. The Rally Expansion Pack adds hours of new content and challenge that was missing from the main game and feels like it could be just a sampling of another game all it’s own. Playground Games also paid special attention to how rally works and the co-driver is precise and accurate.

Same roads, just reskinned. Slapping a few different roadside barriers and adding a few jumps to an existing map does not an expansion make. And by "hours" of new content you mean a couple, right? As for the bug fixes, i.e., rumble- well thats closing the barn door after the horse is out. One of the biggest complaints that people who played the demo had is finally fixed 2 months later, after they've already writen off the game because of it. And they still didn't do anything about that annoying Alice chick saying "go to the autoshow" every ten minutes.

post #82 of 83 Old 12-18-2012, 11:00 PM
AVS Special Member

here's a fair video review. covered a lot of the pros and cons (though skipped a lot of things that I would've liked more info on):

the only thing lacking is... I was checking the forum threads on the expansion pack. some people were mentioning the snow and ice in the pack. but none of the videos show it so either people are rushing out the reviews (which is quite possible since the expansion just came out) or there's so little events with the snow/ice.
post #83 of 83 Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 AM
AVS Special Member

The B class cars do not feel like rally but the A class ones really do. Was disappointed to see that the third event is back to B cars, but it's at night time, which is cool.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page