Gamefly? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 05:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 135
I've been thinking about signing up with them since buying games for a house full of gamers (myself included) can take a chunk out of the budget. I've read that a couple of you use this service and I was wondering what you're experience with them has been. Give me the good, bad and ugly.

I'm a 'hooker' and a knitter. I guess that makes me bi-stitchual :). Crap I say
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been using Gamefly for a couple of months now. The only complaint I would have is that game availability can be a problem. If you want to rent a game that just released it may not be instantly available.

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
post #3 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
You have to learn how to work the system on gamefly. If you really want a new game, make sure you get one back to them in time and then take off all other games that have been released. Then they will send you the new game when it comes out. My only problem is it seems like they are taking a lot longer to get me games. They shipped me Halo on Monday and it still isn't there.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #4 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 08:46 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Takes a long time to arrive through the mail.

Usually will NOT get the newest games, even if you timed your return perfectly to coincide with the release date.

My cousin uses them and lives about 1 and a half hours away from my house. He receives his games within a day of shipping. He also gets all the new releases as they come out. My games take 3-4 days. I still don't understand why the big discrepancy. This prompted me to send an unhappy email to gamefly with those two issues when I first started using it.

I don't recall the exact reply but I'm sure it was a standard response. The shipping issue was because of my location in relation to their warehouse. So apparently it takes 4 days to travel that extra hour and a half. As for getting the newest games, they told me it depends on your list. It depends how long it's been in your list, how high it is in the list and I think they might even secretly factor in how long you've been a member.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

post #5 of 13 Old 11-08-2012, 09:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I get new releases each time if I've gotten my returns in and taken all released games off my queue. I've never had to wait for one, and I've used Gamefly for my primary games acquisition for basically this entire generation. I only buy games I know I'll continue to replay long term like Halo and Borderlands, but I still rent most AAA titles through Gamefly.

I have noticed the ship times have gotten worse again after they were better for a while, but I still generally get the games the week they were released, usually on Friday.
post #6 of 13 Old 11-11-2012, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I've been very happy with them. The key is to live near a distribution center. If you live near one of the four that will dramatically improve your experience with them. Also, working the queue can help get you new popular games when they are first released. Game availability can be an issue, but on the other hand they have pretty much every title released, letting you rent obscure games you've never heard of or seen in stores.
Also, they just released their PC game client recently. If you play PC games that is another thing to consider.
I've found their customer service good when I've had to use them in the past.

XBox - Shizelbs

post #7 of 13 Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 373
I love GF, wish I'd picked them up a lot sooner. There are a lot of games I want to try but can't justify the $s on and this gives you a great way to play them. Once I got signed on I started tracking my game spending and its gone down considerably. A huge benefit is that all their used games come with all the codes unlike Gamestop and are usually a bit cheaper too.

The other obvious benefit is on short games. Their not worth $60 and may get forgotten if too much time passes.

One big complaint, preorders are not for limited editions or special versions. So buyer beware. I know for Borderlands I felt a little burnt. Only other complaint I have is with the q size, it stops at 50 but I took that opportunity to drop off crap games I didn't care about.

Speaking of q, you can add future games and track release dates, but those also count against your q.
post #8 of 13 Old 11-20-2012, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for all the replies and info! I made the plunge and signed up.

post #9 of 13 Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 AM

Bump....
Is anyone using the unlimited PC Gaming for free for members ? My son is a PC Gamer (Steam). We're not a member yet, just checking everyones thoughts.....we have an XBOX360 & PS Vita.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-02-2013, 11:06 AM

I have friends who swear by GameFly, but I can't really get over the feeling of ownership. I like holding the game in my hand and knowing that I can keep it if I want. With that said, I definitely take advantage of online trading communities (like /r/gameswap), so I think I get a similar deal in the end.
post #11 of 13 Old 04-02-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Gamefly just officially screwed me for the first time. I had an open spot and nothing but Defiance (I'm on the fence about it and wanted to check it out) in my que, and they didn't ship it to me. I emailed them but they just gave me a generic answer.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #12 of 13 Old 04-03-2013, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post

Bump....
Is anyone using the unlimited PC Gaming for free for members ? My son is a PC Gamer (Steam). We're not a member yet, just checking everyones thoughts.....we have an XBOX360 & PS Vita.

I would like to take advantage of it but my PC is a dinosaur so most games won't run for me.

post #13 of 13 Old 04-03-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneypoo69 View Post

Bump....

I would like to take advantage of it but my PC is a dinosaur so most games won't run for me.

They have OK PC games. I have a budget video card and it plays quite a bit. Stuck on Xbox so my PC gaming is nonexistent. They have some abes oddysseys I keep meaning to check out though. They add more each month so that is good. Between gamefly and humble bundles I'm set for a long time. Gamefly is well worth the dough if you play quite a bit. Can ship back stuff you dont like and get something better. Just dont expect the latest and greatest all the time.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page