Best TV for the XBOX360 - what specs to look for - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 11-18-2012, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

I want to buy a new TV this Christmas and i must say it is specially for the XBOX360 smile.gif
Right now i´m playing on a 42" LCD by Samsung. I know there´s a lot of offering out there, Plasma, LCD, LedTV, etc...

What is the advice from the forum regarding the specs i should be looking after to get the best experience possible while playing XBOX360 on it? Also, from the existing displays on the market can anyone point me a few known by excelling in gaming?

Thanks all in advance it´s important i get the best info possible so that i don´t make a big mistake this Christmas.

smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Any name brand (Sony, Samsung, etc) is advanced enough that they're all fine for gaming. Go to the HDTV forum and look for the best picture and find if you prefer LCD/LED or plasma.
post #3 of 12 Old 11-18-2012, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Do alot more research than just "name brand". Response time is going to make a huge difference in terms of how the first person shooters play on the TV. I got the LG 65LW6500 earlier this year and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it for strictly gaming. The picture quality and 3D looks amazing but it's just not that great for FPS gaming.

post #4 of 12 Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Any decent TV is going to have 4ms or less response time, they're fine. If you're having a problem with lag it's in video processing that's turned on. A decent TV you can disable those options - they usually make the picture worse anyway.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-18-2012, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

Do alot more research than just "name brand". Response time is going to make a huge difference in terms of how the first person shooters play on the TV. I got the LG 65LW6500 earlier this year and honestly, I wouldn't recommend it for strictly gaming. The picture quality and 3D looks amazing but it's just not that great for FPS gaming.

strange, I got the LG 55lm7600 and this thing is pure awesome...make sure you turn off that soap opera 240hz crap and rename input to gaming and you will feel just as responsive as any other led tv or lcd.

I often play on my 100" screen or my Samsung 32" LCD because technically it's my wife's tv, but the 55lm7600 definitely makes old ass consoles look alot better. I try to play on it every chance I get because it's pretty! biggrin.gif

and as for the OP everyone is going to tell you something different, you really can't go wrong with anything now and days. Just turn off the tru motion 120hz/240hz smoothing feature and you will be fine.

post #6 of 12 Old 11-18-2012, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I have true motion off, the input labeled to PC, and it's in Game mode. Don't know what it is but it just doesn't feel right. I always do better on my older LCD.

post #7 of 12 Old 11-18-2012, 11:07 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrtledog View Post

"Response time" is the wrong thing to look for. Response time has to do with the speed that pixels change, and for gaming, any good name-brand LCD will have a negligible response time. The characteristic you'll want to research for gaming is input lag, which is the amount of time it takes for a signal entering the TV to be displayed on the screen. A brand new LCD TV with a 6ms response time can still have 50ms of input lag or more, which means that when your 360 sends a signal to the TV, it takes multiple frames for it to actually be displayed. Which, for fighting games, first-person shooters, music/rhythm games, etc., can really cause some problems. Most TVs have a "game mode", which cuts down on the processing and lessens the input lag, but still, not all TVs are created equal in this respect.

Unfortunately, manufacturers don't publish input lag specs, so it's up to display owners to do it themselves. The AVS forums have some good input lag threads where people post their results, and you could always do a Google search for the input lag of a specific model you're researching. Good luck!
post #8 of 12 Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

It seems a big topic... and messy also. By the specs of the TV there´s no way to see if the tv is good or not for gaming - fps in mind.
If i search for a tv that has game mode is a starting point?
Also, when the stickers on the tv show 200Hz, or more does it have any impact on gaming?

Thanks once more
post #9 of 12 Old 11-19-2012, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP DESMO360 View Post

It seems a big topic... and messy also. By the specs of the TV there´s no way to see if the tv is good or not for gaming - fps in mind.
If i search for a tv that has game mode is a starting point?
Also, when the stickers on the tv show 200Hz, or more does it have any impact on gaming?
Thanks once more

I would say Game mode is a very small starting point, if at all. My older Vizio LCD does not have Game mode and it plays much better than my new LG TV that does have the Game mode.

post #10 of 12 Old 12-20-2012, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirjonsnow View Post

Any decent TV is going to have 4ms or less response time, they're fine. If you're having a problem with lag it's in video processing that's turned on. A decent TV you can disable those options - they usually make the picture worse anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermolicious84 View Post

"Response time" is the wrong thing to look for. Response time has to do with the speed that pixels change, and for gaming, any good name-brand LCD will have a negligible response time. The characteristic you'll want to research for gaming is input lag, which is the amount of time it takes for a signal entering the TV to be displayed on the screen. A brand new LCD TV with a 6ms response time can still have 50ms of input lag or more, which means that when your 360 sends a signal to the TV, it takes multiple frames for it to actually be displayed. Which, for fighting games, first-person shooters, music/rhythm games, etc., can really cause some problems. Most TVs have a "game mode", which cuts down on the processing and lessens the input lag, but still, not all TVs are created equal in this respect.
Unfortunately, manufacturers don't publish input lag specs, so it's up to display owners to do it themselves. The AVS forums have some good input lag threads where people post their results, and you could always do a Google search for the input lag of a specific model you're researching. Good luck!

OK, now hold on...hold the phone bro!

My LCD TV has a response time of 8 ms... I can tell you with full confidence that I experience NO input lag whatsoever. Be it a 60 fps or a 30 fps shooter. I game on an Xbox 360. Enhancements turned on or off...no lag at all. I have a keen eye for this since I use to game on the PC. A good couple of years before moving on to consoles.

Awaiting your response(s).

Cheers smile.gif
post #11 of 12 Old 12-20-2012, 09:30 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak191 View Post

OK, now hold on...hold the phone bro!
My LCD TV has a response time of 8 ms... I can tell you with full confidence that I experience NO input lag whatsoever. Be it a 60 fps or a 30 fps shooter. I game on an Xbox 360. Enhancements turned on or off...no lag at all. I have a keen eye for this since I use to game on the PC. A good couple of years before moving on to consoles.
Awaiting your response(s).
Cheers smile.gif

That's fine. I'm not saying that your situation is impossible. At 60 fps, 1 frame lasts for 16.7ms. It's possible for your TV to have low enough input lag that you don't notice it. But not all TVs are created equal, and some will have 3 frames or more of lag.

The main point of my post was that 'response time' does NOT equal 'input lag', and that the two are not directly related. So don't go shopping for a new LCD strictly based on the response time specs and expect to have no input lag.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 AM

In this situation, response time has to do with the time it takes for the TV's pixels to change from, for example, black to white then back to black again. Say you have an LCD monitor with a white mouse cursor in the middle of a completely black screen. Now move that white cursor around. The smearing, or "ghosting" that appears behind the cursor as it moves is the result of response time. A longer response time results in more ghosting. In a case of zero response time, there would be no ghosting behind the cursor.

Input lag is the time it takes for your video/controller inputs to be shown on the screen. In the case of the black screen and mouse cursor, input lag would be the amount of time it takes between you actually moving the mouse and the cursor moving on the screen.

Response time has nothing to do with the delay you experience in shooters. This is all related to input lag. Just like where you have to calibrate your system for input lag on the rock band games.

Hermolicious84 is correct. Manufacturers never give out input lag specs. It is always response times.
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page