Anyone running a dual projector setup? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-19-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I know XBox/PS3 have no support for dual monitors, but I was thinking - why not just hook your game console up to your PC (via a hdmi input card), then hook your PC up to dual projectors (Win7 + any modern video card supports dual monitors). Now assuming there is some software to 'view' your hdmi input signal on your pc, you could fullscreen the display window, and have a 'eyefinity'-esque console experience (sure the fov and aspect ratios would be 'normal', but now you're playing on a GIANT screen).

Anyone ever tried this? What kind of card/software are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-19-2012, 10:52 PM

Liked: 93
The 360 and PS3 are spitting out 16:9. How would having a super-wide 32:9 display for them be any sort of advantage over just running a single 16:9 projector with the same width but taller?

Think this through a bit better. smile.gif
post #3 of 17 Old 11-20-2012, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

I have thought this through. I am using this setup primarily for work, PC web browsing and movies. Thus the wide format will be useful. However, now I would also like to hook up a game console, and have it display centered, as large as possible (I am well aware there will be bars on the sides). But some minor wasted space beats having to move my projectors around (which is impossible anyway). Plus I WILL get slightly higher resolution when splitting the image across two projectors, since each projector is only 720p on its own.

So back to my original question - anyone know?

*plus I am planning to run 4:3 x 4:3, not 16:9 x 16:9. So the image should (in theory) be giant and pretty.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-20-2012, 02:26 PM

You are making things overly complicated, and missing a couple key points.

First, splitting gaming between two projectors will be needlessly complicated, with zero benefit.

Second, 4:3 720p is some seriously low resolution work and web use. We were all on 1024x768 for our desktops back in 1996, dude. Why are you actively trying to run a resolution even lower than that?

Additionally, web browsing and anything approaching serious work on a projector is a pretty crap experience. That kind of stuff was designed for 2 feet from your face. It translates poorly to a 10 foot distance.

For every single thing you have described, a single 1080p projector would be a better choice, with maybe a pair of proper 24" 1080p monitors off to the side for proper desktop use. Take advantage of Windows 7's slick screen splitting (Windows+Left and Windows+Right). At 1920x1080 you get a million pixels per window in that case, instead of 700,000 with a pair of 4:3 720p, plus everything is more simple to use. Even super-wide 2.35:1 content gives you more vertical resolution at 818 pixels tall with a single 1080p projector over a pair of 720p ones.

Again, think this through better.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-20-2012, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe somebody else can help.

There are many reasons to go with 720p over 1080p (like if one were to get two LG PA70Gs for 450 bucks, for example). Those are LED and 3d ready btw. And some people think browsing youtube from the couch at 2560x800 is more than acceptable. The problem with running both 16:9 is that my wall is not wide enough, and I want a BIG picture, so thats why I am leaning towards 4:3x4:3. Plus there are many other benefits to having two projectors side by side (multiplayer gaming, etc....).

So this may be "complicated", but there is not "zero benefit".
post #6 of 17 Old 11-21-2012, 03:11 AM

Oh, I understand now. You already bought the pair of projectors, thinking you were getting a good deal without looking forward at how you would go about blending the image to hide the seem. Since you have already spent some money, you are insistent on throwing good money after bad, when you could have just bought the right thing in the first place.

It all makes sense.

Again, if you want a huge super-wide projection, a 1080p projector running a custom resolution of 1920x720 would give you the same 2.66:1 aspect ratio that you will get with a pair of 4:3 projectors. Given the same aspect ratio, you can blow it up to cover the exact same chunk of wall. This brings with it some pretty significant advantages. You don't need any special $800 (or hidden price!) hardware/software solution to match up the seem. You get better focus and geometry in the center where your eyes spend the most time. Setup is far easier and will be certain to work for far longer. Input from non-PC components is far simpler, using common HDMI-input PC hardware. In short, everything will work better.

Even if your $800 chunk of software to get these $450 projectors running well works some serious magic, that seem will still bug you every day. Can you return the projectors, or are you really locked in to this non-optimal path? $900 plus $800 is not a deal when a single $1000 projector would work better in the first place.

Warpalizer? If they don't tell you the price before you order it, that means it costs more than the $800 option that you already found. wink.gif

Final thought: If a pair of 4:3 projectors with a seem down the middle was a good idea, it would be a hell of a lot more commonly implemented with solutions ready to go. Solutions are not readily available though, are they? What does that tell you?
post #7 of 17 Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 AM

Frys will will whack you with a 15% restocking fee, which you already agreed to when you bought the projectors. Take the $135 loss and start over.

Seriously.
post #8 of 17 Old 11-22-2012, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Who is this guy? Look pal clearly you enjoy hijacking threads and giving your opinion when nobody asked for it, so mission accomplished, you can go now. I asked if anyone had experience hooking up a console to a eyefinity setup (since I will be using this for PC games too). Period. That's it. I'm glad you enjoy wasting money on bulbs, I decided to go LED instead (oh and get 3d support and 700 dollars off too). And I'm not going to move my projectors just to play a console game, so I need to adapt the PS3/XBox to my multi monitor setup. If that's too much for you to comprehend, then just stop posting. I give you permission.

Anyway, while ive been getting not help here, I think I have found the software I need to do the blending, so now all I need is a good hdmi input card that can render my console on my desktop. I was looking at this...

http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-C985-Gamer-1080p-Capture/dp/B007UXJ6LE

But 200 bucks seems kinda pricey, especially since I dont really care about recording...
post #9 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsforumun View Post

Who is this guy?.

He is one of the most respected & well read sources of information on a number of threads in the AVS Forum. Seems to me like he was just trying to help you think through your project. Then you surprisingly dug in and went into attack mode. So he lowered the techno-boom on you. If you didn't like the exchange...a simple thanks for the information may have sufficed. Not many people will chime in on this forum if you just launch into defensive attacks instead of explaining the problem you are trying to solve more clearly. Hope this helps you on any of your future postings. DLJ can separate the pepper from the flyshyt better than most on the forum. Initially he was just asking you for more information. Glad you found the software to help you achieve your goal. Peace.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Who is this guy? Look pal clearly you enjoy hijacking threads and giving your opinion when nobody asked for it, so mission accomplished, you can go now. I asked if anyone had experience hooking up a console to a eyefinity setup (since I will be using this for PC games too). Period. That's it. I'm glad you enjoy wasting money on bulbs, I decided to go LED instead (oh and get 3d support and 700 dollars off too). And I'm not going to move my projectors just to play a console game, so I need to adapt the PS3/XBox to my multi monitor setup. If that's too much for you to comprehend, then just stop posting. I give you permission.
Anyway, while ive been getting not help here, I think I have found the software I need to do the blending, so now all I need is a good hdmi input card that can render my console on my desktop. I was looking at this...
http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-C985-Gamer-1080p-Capture/dp/B007UXJ6LE
But 200 bucks seems kinda pricey, especially since I dont really care about recording...

One thing that nobody has mentioned here as of yet, is the possibility of lag with the signal traversing the XBOX=>HDMIcapturecard=>PCvideocard=>mult-monitors. I have no direct experience here, but it is the first thing that came to mind when I read what you're asking about. Lots of display lagtime = lousy gaming experience.

O.O.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-23-2012, 05:23 PM

Hey Barrel - Thanks. smile.gif

Valence - Fantastic point. Roughly speaking, you're going to add a frame to every conversion. This moves you from 50-100ms controller lag with 33ms video lag, or "perfectly acceptable", to 83-133ms controller lag with 66ms video lag. This is what we call "Oh god this is terrible to play on!" territory.

Yet another point in favor of a single, higher resolution, higher quality projector.

Forumun - You know what's cheaper than a $200 capture card? A $135 restocking fee.
post #12 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

@Valence01

I have already seen something like this in action, and the input lag was not noticeable.

I know you guys might be trying to 'help', but I really don't need opinions on why this might not 'work'. I have seen it work. Read my original question. All I asked was how to project my console onto my 2x eyefinity setup. I wanted a large (centered) picture without having to move my projectors. That's it. If you don't know the answer, that's cool.

@barrelbelly

Um sorry no. I never "dug in and went into attack mode". I was getting unsolicited (inaccurate at best, belittling at worst) advice from somebody with a chip on his shoulder. Did I ask for his opinion on the projector? Did I ask him what a nightmare bulbs can be, especially when you're running two projectors side by side? No, all I asked was if anyone else could help. And instead of just going away, this guy decided to come back for another round of "you're stupid, and i'm smart".

I would repeat my original question for the third time, but it's clear I'm not going to get any help here, so thanks anyway.
post #13 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

@Valence01
I have already seen something like this in action, and the input lag was not noticeable.
I know you guys might be trying to 'help', but I really don't need opinions on why this might not 'work'. I have seen it work. Read my original question. All I asked was how to project my console onto my 2x eyefinity setup. I wanted a large (centered) picture without having to move my projectors. That's it. If you don't know the answer, that's cool.

FWIW I did read your original posting and nowhere in there does it imply that you've seen this working already. I held off for quite some time in responding. Of course, since your original post led us to believe that this was a purely hypothetical and not as yet realized proposal, it was reasonable for folks to point out potential pitfalls. This was not done just to piss you off. It was done so that you would do some research to potentially save the $200 for an HDMI capture card like the ReelMagic or the Hauppage. There wasn't any way for us to know that you had already had seen this in action. I would suggest in that case, that your best resource is the owner of the system where you saw it in action.

O.O.
post #14 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 View Post

your best resource is the owner of the system where you saw it in action.

Wish I could frown.gif this was a long time ago at either a Best Buy or circuit city. They had a console game running on a PC (I know because I could see the windows start menu). I think it was just a standard TV capture card, but no idea what brand. They were also demoing TV, which is yet another reason why I want to do this - since the way things are currently setup now with (2x eyefinity), I can only use one projector, and have the image in the far left/right corner. I would much rather have things centered (shared across both projectors) for better viewing.
post #15 of 17 Old 11-25-2012, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 234
FWIW...I suggest you re-post your request/comment in the following thread on AVS. Someone there may be more in tune with what you are trying to accomplish. It's in the Display category under Projectors for under $3000.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1439499/using-multiple-1080p-projectors-for-gaming-with-eyefinity-suggestions
post #16 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 AM

Hello, i am new to this and need urgent help in setting up dual projector passive 3d setup for my home. I have read many articals about the dual projector setup and decided to make one for my home theater room

I bought - 2 dlp projectors - benq ms660
circular polarized lens
circular poalrized glasses
Silver screen
and got the dual stand made for projectors.

First step, i downloaded the stereoscopic player

Now i have window xp installed with nvidea 560 card with dual output

I connect one output with hdmi and second with dvi to hdmi cabel

after i run windows, i run nvidea setup and run dual ( extended screens) and both left and right view start coming on screen

my problem is when i run side by side ( any 3d movie ), i am getting the double image and when i wear the glasses, image looks single and clear to me, But my only problem is, it looks Plain 2d image and not 3d image. No pop out effects are also visible.

I read on many forums that results are very good in polarized 3d but my image is looking plain 2d image.

Can anyone help me and advice me where i am doing the mistake, which part needed to be corrected here.

Thanks in advance
post #17 of 17 Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 AM

You'll find better help over in the projector section. People aren't using dual projector 3D for their Xbox. smile.gif
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page