Best way to use HDMI video with RCA audio? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have an older but quality A/V receiver that I want to use with my XBox 360. Unfortunately the receiver does not have HDMI input/output. I want to get the digital HDMI signal to the tv for picture quality but I also want to have the sound running through the receiver. Does anybody have any suggestions for the best (cheapest) way to do this? The only thing I can think is to get a powered HDMI splitter and then an HDMI-component converter cable going out one side. That doesn't seem ideal, though.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
You have a few different options depending on what version of 360 you have. If it's a newish version, then it will have a built-in Toslink optical connector. So, connect up an appropriate Toslink cable from Xbox to receiver and you're done. If you don't have a newer 360, then you can either purchase the HDMI audio dongle:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10830&cs_id=1083005&p_id=7526&seq=1&format=2

and use the Toslink method or you can use the plain old RCA analog L and R stereo plugs from the dongle.....or you could also do a Toslink cable from the TV to the receiver, assuming that your TV supports HDMI to Toslink for non-tuner sources. Some TVs do not support anything but 2 channel stereo over HDMI and so you'd still be limited to 2 ch stereo in that case. If you have an older TV with actual analog RCA audio outpus jacks, you can run those over to the receiver.

If you want 5.1 surround sound, you absolutely have to use one of the Toslink cable methods for your setup.

I should also mention that some folks have had trouble with the monoprice dongle not holding the Toslink connector tightly enough. It seems to depend on the Toslink cable. Some hold tight while others are loose enough to risk falling out. There are other sources for the HDMI audio dongle that may not have that issue. It's also possible that monoprice have addressed the issue in newer stock, but I have not heard that.

O.O.
post #3 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect, thanks!
post #4 of 8 Old 11-23-2012, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

For the record my Xbox does not have a Toslink output. Using the Monoprice adapter and the Toslink cable to my receiver should work perfectly, though.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-10-2012, 06:45 AM

Not that it'll help the discussion at this point, but here's how I do mine:

Got the HDMI cable running from my console to the TV. Got a pair of standard left/right stereo cables going from the TV's audio out into the amp's audio in. I do not have 5.1 DD, but the stereo output is digital. And I've got front surround enabled through my TV's menu, so it's kind of like digital stereo with virtual surround.

I'm happy with it ATM. The amp itself is capable of doing DD and DTS 5.1 though, but won't accept connections from an external source, as there's no jack on the back. It only outputs 5.1 sound through the build-in DVD/CD player! rolleyes.gif
post #6 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Advanced Member

I am interested in options for this. I gave my old Sammy DLP to my nephew when I bought a new Mits. The Sammy does not have HDMI (one reason I replaced it). My nephew has an Xbox 360. I gave him the HDMI -> DVI cable I was using, but then he has no way to get audio to the TV since it doesn't have an optical input and there is a tab that sticks out from the standard Xbox composite dongle that blocks the HDMI port. Is there an optional dongle that does not have that tab? Or are we better off getting a TosLink -> RCA adapter from monoprice and hooking that to the RCA stereo inputs on the TV?
post #7 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4HiMarks View Post

I am interested in options for this. I gave my old Sammy DLP to my nephew when I bought a new Mits. The Sammy does not have HDMI (one reason I replaced it). My nephew has an Xbox 360. I gave him the HDMI -> DVI cable I was using, but then he has no way to get audio to the TV since it doesn't have an optical input and there is a tab that sticks out from the standard Xbox composite dongle that blocks the HDMI port. Is there an optional dongle that does not have that tab? Or are we better off getting a TosLink -> RCA adapter from monoprice and hooking that to the RCA stereo inputs on the TV?

No, don't get a Toslink to RCA adapter. Just get the official Microsoft HDMI audio dongle or the Monoprice version.

The monoprice one is all of 3 dollars:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11403&cs_id=1140302&p_id=7526&seq=1&format=2

Some folks have had problems with the monoprice dongle not holding Toslink cables tightly, but since you're not using Toslink, that can't be an issue. Both the official microsoft HDMI audio dongle and the monoprice one are thin enough to coexist with the HDMI cable.

P.J.
post #8 of 8 Old 03-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valence01 View Post

No, don't get a Toslink to RCA adapter. Just get the official Microsoft HDMI audio dongle or the Monoprice version.

The monoprice one is all of 3 dollars:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=114&cp_id=11403&cs_id=1140302&p_id=7526&seq=1&format=2
That is what I would up doing. I'll see them on Sat. I hope it arrives by then.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page