Clarification on HDMI Color Space Option - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

Just got a new TV (Sony xbr55hx950 LCD/LED HDTV). So I'm trying to get the most out of my X-Box as far as picture quality. I've set the "Reference Levels" to Expanded to enhance the black levels but am in the dark in regards to the "HDMI Color Space" option. Could somebody please help shed some light on what setting/option would be optimal. I believe my options are 1.) Auto 2.) Source 3.) RGB 4.) YcbCr709 5.) YcbCr601 With that being said, I don't know what the hell these options even mean.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much and have a great weekend!

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-07-2012, 03:21 PM

Liked: 10
I would just use source. That way everything should be displayed in their native color space. Auto should do the same thing really. I really don't know why they have both those options maybe someone else could shed some light. Games are native RGB and video like dvd's and Blu Rays are native YcbCr. So unless you put a DVD in your XBOX, your color space is going to remain RGB.

Also if you have your Xbox set to expanded make sure you have your TV set up to except Full RGB signals. If you have your TV set up for limitied RGB you will get black crush.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Auto and Source are pretty close. Auto switches between YcbCr and RGB based on resolution & content type, Source switches based on the video or game source.

Experimentation with your particular AV equipment is will yield the best results. I don't think one is better than the other in all cases. Source will work well if you have an AV receiver or anything else in the chain that is either preventing autodetect from working or processing the signal (i.e. upscaling). My AVR does straight HDMI passthrough. Auto works well if your TV has an HDMI auto setting, especially if it also has a setting for HDMI content type. My Panny GT30 has this, you can set it to auto or select Picture/Graphics or off.

Bottom line is depending whether you calibrated for YcbCr or RGB, you're either going to get washed out video or black crush in games when it switches...you just have to decide which you want to live with based on what you use your xbox for most.

XBOX LIVE ID: JeepR kReapR
PSN ID: JeepR_kReapR

Originally Posted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Instead of the usual 2 minutes, give her 5 minutes of nothing but that Jeep ecstasy. She will be exhausted and fall right to sleep. You are now free to play.

Thats what I do.

post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 08:48 PM

"Bottom line is depending whether you calibrated for YcbCr or RGB, you're either going to get washed out video or black crush in games when it switches...you just have to decide which you want to live with based on what you use your xbox for most."

Why would you get washed out video or black crush when it switches color space? Are you saying if you calibrate in YcbCr and then play a game in full RGB you will get black crush? I don't get Black crush or washed out video. I guess if you really want to calibrate both color spaces individually you could have two different picture modes saved with the two different calibrations respectively. One for RGB material and the other for YcbCR.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 05:58 AM

Liked: 13
I believe all video games use sRGB. I hope selecting RGB means the same thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 PM

what is sRGB?
post #7 of 7 Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by OARevolution View Post

what is sRGB?
To the best of my knowledge, sRGB stands for Standard RGB. It's exactly the same as the HDTV REC 709 space.

I calibrate for games using sRGB patterns, and to be honest once done they look great.

Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page