Newbie to Xbox360: General questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-02-2012, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Greetings. I have gotten my kids for Christmas the 250GB Holiday bundle ( with Forza and Elder Scrolls) plus a few other games. I am just trying to familiarize myself with this system.

1) How is the quality of video/gaming when streaming Wi-Fi as opposed to having a direct Ethernet connection? (assuming I have a good ISP and Wi-Fi network.)

2) I was told this comes with 1 month free Xbox Gold live. I'm assuming I can open an account through the Xbox?
Also I have never done Hulu or Netflix. Are those free services that come with it, or do you have to pay for the movies as well?

3) Anything else I should know so I am prepared come Christmas morning?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-02-2012, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Congrats on your purchase! You do not need Xbox Live Gold to play games, unless you're kids are going to be playing online with friends/family or if you plan on using any of the streaming services. If yes, then I would suggest you purchase the family subscription which is $99/year as it has parental controls and those do come in handy. If not, you can get a free account. Yes you would need to pay for Hulu and Netflix, which both cost about $8/month on top of a family Xbox account. You can go to both companies websites and decide if these are worth it to you. Crackle is free and has movies and if you belong to Amazon Prime you can watch their library of free stuff as well. I have high-speed internet so my streaming (when I use it, which is hardly ever) is pretty good via wi-fi. Only other things I can think of is maybe an HDMI cable to hook it up and an extra controller.

I act my age sometimes. Sometimes ;). Crap I say
post #3 of 4 Old 12-02-2012, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayan View Post

Congrats on your purchase! You do not need Xbox Live Gold to play games, unless you're kids are going to be playing online with friends/family or if you plan on using any of the streaming services. If yes, then I would suggest you purchase the family subscription which is $99/year as it has parental controls and those do come in handy. If not, you can get a free account. Yes you would need to pay for Hulu and Netflix, which both cost about $8/month on top of a family Xbox account. You can go to both companies websites and decide if these are worth it to you. Crackle is free and has movies and if you belong to Amazon Prime you can watch their library of free stuff as well. I have high-speed internet so my streaming (when I use it, which is hardly ever) is pretty good via wi-fi. Only other things I can think of is maybe an HDMI cable to hook it up and an extra controller.

Thanks. I did buy this as a bundle pack from Walmart, which incuded 2 other games to chose from ( I chose Sonic). I also got the 6 piece accessory kit which includes an HDMI cable, headset ( so now I have 2), and rechargable battery packs. I also purchased a second wireless controller.
I did originally buy the 4GB, but had second thoughts and returned it to get the 250GB.

I have not heard of Crackle, I'll check it out.
post #4 of 4 Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good choice on exchanging the 4GB for the 250GB as 4GB isn't enough these days. My 2 kids (9 and 12) play online frequently and I have the family gold pack for $99 per year. The parental controls are nice and I can limit the kid's ability to make purchases and access content. Also with the Gold family pack you can have up to 4 live accounts (meaning that each name can play online games) which is great for families with multiple gamers. If you don't play online this won't be necessary as you can create multiple free accounts on the console.

PSN ID: Budracin8808

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page