Gimme some XBOX game recommendations PLEASE! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-19-2012, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey folks,

Since upgrading my pseudo HT, I'm getting back into gaming. I love hearing the great detailed surround sound as well as seeing the awesome graphics on my new Sony 55" HX850. My 5.1 speakers are Ascends plus an Outlaw LFM-1 Plus. So I'm looking for a new game that can 'wow' me and friends visually and aurally, as well as be fun to play.

General likes and games I've played:
- Like adventure / role-playing genre
- Like FPS games
- Love zombies and horror stuff
- Loved Halo, but stopped after Halo 2
- OId time ID Software fan (back in the days of Doom on 3.5" floppies) - played all the Dooms, Quakes, etc.
- Have loved the Bethesda games and started with Arena on PC DOS many moons ago. AWESOME game.
- We also have a Wii and I've been a Nintendo fan for many years. Loved the Mario games, including Super Mario World, Galaxy, etc. And *loved* Paper Mario and the 2D/3D switching

Not into:
- Not really into Multi-Player these days
- Limited gaming time these days means I get tired of wide-open games and a lot of errand running. More linear is okay.

Currently playing:
- I'm about 1/3 through with Skyrim. I like it a lot - awesome game.
- Just got into Rage. Seems pretty good so far.
- On Chapter 5 of Dead Space 2. I'm loving it - nice horror shooter.

New games under consideration:
- Borderlands 2 gets a lot of positive press.
- COD: Black Ops 2 gets a lot of positive press.
- Halo 4 also has my eye.

What are your thoughts on the above? What game would you strongly I consider getting next?

Bonus Question:
- Based on all the above - do you have any recommendations for a NON-M-Rated game? I have to play all of the above at night after the kids are in bed (due to graphic language and extreme violence). But would love to play something during the day beside them or with them. (They are 8 and 10-years-old). Lego series? Disney Universe?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-19-2012, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
You sound like you like a lot of the same stuff I do, except for the zombies/horror games.

Far Cry 3 is supposed to be really good, so I would try that one.

Skip Black Ops 2 if you're not into multiplayer. The single player is meh, and it won't make any sense if you haven't played the first one.

Borderlands was really good but it's more open world. Not as much as something like Skyrim or Fallout 3 but it's definitely not what I would consider linear. Borderlands 2 is supposed to be better than the first but still very open.

Try Bioshock (the first one) if you haven't played that. Really good, unique, game.

I'd recommend the Halo games if you liked 1 & 2. 3 and Reach were both good IMO. I haven't played 4 yet but it's been very positively reviewed.

I would also look at the Batman games. They're third person adventure types of games and they're both excellent.

As far as what to play with your kids, I'd grab any of the Lego games that matches your (or their) other interests. They have Lego Star Wars (many of them), Lego Indiana Jones, Lego Pirates of the Caribbean, Lego Batman, Lego Harry Potter, and now Lego Lord of the Rings. They're all very simple for adults but they're something your kids can enjoy if they like the characters from whatever series, and they're addictive fun.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #3 of 8 Old 12-19-2012, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Definitely Halo 4. The Halos in general have great campaigns. Also, agree with the Batman series. Both are great.

Others to check out are:

Portal 2
Mass Effect series
Fallout 3 & New Vegas (Skyrim like, but better IMHO)

And, the Lego games are all on sale today:

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Promotion/countdown-2013-12-19-lego-games

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
post #4 of 8 Old 12-19-2012, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
I second Far Cry 3, just be sure to stick to the main story line if you don't want to be dragged down by sidequests/activities. Be sure to not play this while the kiddies are up.

Fallout 3 is also amazing.

Bioshock is another great pseudo RPG/FPS that is more linear but tells a great story.

I enjoyed Dead Island, lots of people didn't due to glitches (most of those have been patched by now). If you are a zombie fan, you can't really go wrong. You can prob pick up the special edition with all the DLC for around $20.

THE WALKING DEAD!!!! Must buy for zombie fans. great game

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #5 of 8 Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 569
zombies/horror:
  • make sure you get Left 4 Dead 2 and the DLC (especially the Cold Stream DLC which consists of the Left 4 Dead 1 levels and some new levels)
  • Dead Space series which you already know.
  • Halo series: personally, I only loved Halo Anniversary (the remake of Halo: Combat Evolved) and Halo 4. Halo 4 is a "wow" game visually and really good fun. Halo Reach was good (not great). Didn't have an affinity for the others.
  • old school shooters: The Serious Sam games are on sale right now so the timing is perfect. Get Serious Sam 3 and Serious Sam: The First Encounter and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter. Also, Doom and Doom 2. All of these are on XBLA (Xbox Live Arcade).
  • ID software: Rage, which you already know
  • make sure you get the Gears of War series. All of them! You can get any and all of them for so cheap as well. Gears of War 3 is the best but it's nice to have the series. Easy to pick up and play. Has many different modes so that anyone can play.

December 28th: The Walking Dead sale
Episode 1 of the WD will be FREE Dec 25-31

The Walking Dead Episode 1
The Walking Dead Episode 2
The Walking Dead Episode 3
The Walking Dead Episode 4
The Walking Dead Episode 5

there's a big Xbox Live sale going on over the holidays (note, it's a lot of 1-day sales so if you want it, make sure you don't dawdle):

some great games and kid appropriate
18th - 31st December sale items
  • Fire Pro Wrestling - 400 MSP 50% off
  • Frogger: Hyper Arcade Edition - 400 MSP 50% off
  • Jet Set Radio - 400 MSP 50% off
  • Joe Danger 2: The Movie - 400 MSP 67% off
  • Peggle™ - 400 MSP 50% off
  • Peggle™ Nights Content Pack - 200 MSP 50% off
  • Plants vs. Zombies - 600 MSP 50% off
  • Sonic The Hedgehog 2 - 160 MSP 60% off
  • Sonic The Hedgehog™ 4 Episode II - 600 MSP 50% off

December 19th: LEGO Games

LEGO Batman - 800 MSP 50% off
LEGO® Harry Potter™ (Years 1-4) - 800 MSP 50% off
LEGO® Indiana Jones™ - 800 MSP 50% off ... original game/hub covering first 3 movies
LEGO® Indiana Jones™ 2 - 800 MSP 50% off ... follow-up with different levels covering first 3 movies, new hub, and addition of 4th movie's levels.
LEGO Pirates of the Caribbean: The Video Game - 800 MSP 50% off
LEGO® Star Wars™: The Complete Saga - 1200 MSP 50% off
LEGO Star Wars III: The Clone Wars - 800 MSP 50% off

December 20th: Platformer Games

Fez
HELL YEAH! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
Sonic Adventure 2
Rayman Origins
Rayman 3 HD
Mark of the Ninja

December 23rd: Summer of Arcade 2012 Games
Dust: An Elysian Tail

December 24th: Trials HD and Trials Evolution

Trials HD
Trials HD - Big Thrills
Trials HD - Big Pack
Trials Evolution
Trials Evolution: Origin of Pain

December 29th: Family Games

Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Cars 2: The Video Game
Crash Of The Titans
Toy Story 3
Crazy Taxi
The Splatters

December 31st: Skyrim and Oblivion

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Dawnguard
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Hearthfire
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Shivering Isles
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion: Knights of the Nine
post #6 of 8 Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome!! Great ideas all around.

I think I'll look into some of the Lego games for me and the kids. It also sounds like Halo 4 is a must-have on my list now. And Bioshock was one that I wasn't considering that I'll have to look into.

Will also look into Gears of War, Far Cry 3, and Dead Island. I'll sound good so far. (FYI, my dad, a 65-year-old gamer, lol, has beat the whole Fallout series, up to New Vegas. So I plan to borrow those from him to check out. Sounds right up my alley as well. The only news is that I don't have as much time for gaming as I'd like so I'll have to just prioritize.)

I saw FEZ mentioned in the sales list above. Has anyone played that? I just happened to see it yesterday on X-Play while trying to get up to speed on the latest games. Reminded me a bit of Paper Mario and looks intriguing as well.

Thanks to all the contributions. Lots of goodness to explore!
post #7 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Well if you are wondering around in Skyrim, maybe check out Red Dead Redemption.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-20-2012, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The Lego games are great. Great for the kids but also fun for adults and for adults and the kids to play together. I find the puzzles to be challenging enough to keep the adults interested and it's a great game to get some father/child time in.

I have to add Battlefield 3 in just because I think it's a great FPS that allows for multiple play styles; although I note that you aren't looking for multiplayer right now.

Fary Cry 3 is amazing!

Also the single player of Crysis 2 and single player of any of the Gears of War games.

PSN ID: Budracin8808

XBOX Live Gamertag: budracin88
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page