Call of Duty: Ghosts - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 1356
Maybe MS is forcing them to use their servers on 360/X1, and they're having issues. All I know is I've got 56hrs played, ~500ish games on PS3/4 and I've never once seen a host migration or a random game drop. I've seen occasional moments of lag, I've been placed in less than optimal matches, but I've never seen it deteriorate to the point where it's not playable.

For whatever reason you're not getting connected to them, but I doubt I've played a single match that wasn't on a dedi.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

Maybe MS is forcing them to use their servers on 360/X1, and they're having issues. All I know is I've got 56hrs played, ~500ish games on PS3/4 and I've never once seen a host migration or a random game drop. I've seen occasional moments of lag, I've been placed in less than optimal matches, but I've never seen it deteriorate to the point where it's not playable.

For whatever reason you're not getting connected to them, but I doubt I've played a single match that wasn't on a dedi.

lucky you.

XBOX Live: Ell Dudereno
post #1263 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 12:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by scubasteve2365 View Post

It has nothing to do with PSN. It's not hosting the game. Nor is XBL. COD/IW has the dedicated servers and if not it's P2P.

Any real comments other than PSN trolling?

i had a game this weekend where a message popped up that said it was finding the best host. This was on the XBOne. That was the only time I've seen it. So maybe that is some kind of fallback if there is a problem with the servers or something.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
LED DLP
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #1264 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 12:33 PM

Liked: 16
Played a game on Whiteout this weekend (Xbox 360). Came around the cabin and flanked a guy running towards the frozen pond. As I ADS, his character begins running in place for about 2-3 secs while I shoot him center mass 5-10 times. The guy becomes "normal" again and I am instantly dead. eek.gif

I'm thinking lag switch, but that is literally the first time I have ever experienced THAT kind of BS.

Xbox GT: CROWSS_LT1
post #1265 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 406
Ghosts is no different than any previous CoD when it comes to host migrations and lobby integrity --in my experience-- but then host migrations never bothered me.

I remember when mw2 was previewed they showed a host migration in the video as, at that time coming from cod4 which would simply dump the match if the host quit, host migration was considered a FEATURE!
beach scrub likes this.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #1266 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowSS View Post

Played a game on Whiteout this weekend (Xbox 360). Came around the cabin and flanked a guy running towards the frozen pond. As I ADS, his character begins running in place for about 2-3 secs while I shoot him center mass 5-10 times. The guy becomes "normal" again and I am instantly dead. eek.gif

I'm thinking lag switch, but that is literally the first time I have ever experienced THAT kind of BS.

Most likely a lag switch. They're becoming more common-- all the 'pro' players use them.

--Carl Sagan
post #1267 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 01:59 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Most likely a lag switch. They're becoming more common-- all the 'pro' players use them.

Well... duh.

Xbox GT: CROWSS_LT1
post #1268 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Ghosts is no different than any previous CoD when it comes to host migrations and lobby integrity --in my experience-- but then host migrations never bothered me.

I remember when mw2 was previewed they showed a host migration in the video as, at that time coming from cod4 which would simply dump the match if the host quit, host migration was considered a FEATURE!

Yea, that's about the only thing downside of playing COD4 now. However, when you have a full lobby of great peeps and playing on maps like-
Creek, crush, backlot, ambush, crossfire, strike...etc... its something I can happily live with.cool.gif
beach scrub likes this.
post #1269 of 1801 Old 12-02-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookilook View Post

Yea, that's about the only thing downside of playing COD4 now. However, when you have a full lobby of great peeps and playing on maps like-
Creek, crush, backlot, ambush, crossfire, strike...etc... its something I can happily live with.cool.gif

Cod 4 is hacked to pieces...

I love cod 4 and it does have some great maps and probably the best balance in the series. Still, frag x3 and martyrdom were horrible. At least as bad as Oma/danger close in mw2. I really think that ghosts has the potential to be as good as those two games assuming they can fix the spawns and don't screw anything else up. The maps are a bit hit or miss but who knows-- maybe the downloadable content will help there.

--Carl Sagan
post #1270 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I've had fun with Ghosts so far. I mean it's pretty fun if I have a good connection going. Otherwise, it's the same ole BS. I think it's too much data to be uploaded/downloaded 10 minutes at a time. I'm not a bad player, heck, I used to be very good back in the day living in the townhouse with my then girl friend / current wife, two dogs and no kids. I'd be the one who runs and guns in COD4. I didn't give a fkk about my ratio, just that we won and we had fun. It's all about fun right?

Ghosts has been that again for me. I don't play BLOPS so my experience is only from IW games. I love COD4 and MW2 and then MW3 was more meh. Ghosts at least is headed back toward the direction of MW2 and COD4 as far as playability is concerned-with a good connection.

Having said all that, I'm not at a crossroads. I have an unopened PS4 and an unopened XOne and I had a few questions:

- which is the better current gen experience?
- I used to beast but not anymore, I want to beast again. I've always held the belief that 360 players are better-is that still true or did a bunch of them jump ship to PS4 where I can get better?
- I found the analog sticks on the PS3 to have much less resistance which made the 360 controller experience better for me. Has that changed with the controller for the PS3?
- I would hate to have to leave the ole group from the COD4 days on 360 vs. having to jump on PS4 and making new friends though that seems to have fallen out of importance given I've gotta find time to play with two kids now.
- sure, on PS4, the game will probably look better but will that translate into a much more enjoyable gaming experience?

COD is like playing hoops for me. The equipment can change (new ball, new kicks, new bag, now shots and shirt etc) and the rules can be altered like make it take it, first to 11, best of 3 etc. but the core of having team work to pass the ball to the open guy to score and then play D. that's what it's all about. COD, I just want to get some kills, some dog tags, some flags and have fun for a few hours. It exercises my brain-at least that's what I want to tell my wife...
beach scrub likes this.

I Geez Zeus Me

My life is richer for not knowing what goes on on reality television
post #1271 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

I think you're not on dedicated but because they don't show network connections anymore you think you are. You're just the luckiest person alive and haven't ever had a laggy match I guess. rolleyes.gif

Srsly, we had some CRAZY stuff happening the other night. The lag was so bad for everyone in our lobby that you couldn't even run through a door consistently because it would keep warping you backwards or sideways or both. It was so bad to the point of being comical. Also, just about every time we play there are games where people are randomly dropped or everyone is dropped (disconnected from host) or some people have terrible lag. IW trolled us all hard with this dedicated servers thing. Well played IW, well played.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #1272 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

I've had fun with Ghosts so far. I mean it's pretty fun if I have a good connection going. Otherwise, it's the same ole BS. I think it's too much data to be uploaded/downloaded 10 minutes at a time. I'm not a bad player, heck, I used to be very good back in the day living in the townhouse with my then girl friend / current wife, two dogs and no kids. I'd be the one who runs and guns in COD4. I didn't give a fkk about my ratio, just that we won and we had fun. It's all about fun right?

Ghosts has been that again for me. I don't play BLOPS so my experience is only from IW games. I love COD4 and MW2 and then MW3 was more meh. Ghosts at least is headed back toward the direction of MW2 and COD4 as far as playability is concerned-with a good connection.

Having said all that, I'm not at a crossroads. I have an unopened PS4 and an unopened XOne and I had a few questions:

- I used to beast but not anymore, I want to beast again. I've always held the belief that 360 players are better-is that still true or did a bunch of them jump ship to PS4 where I can get better?
- I found the analog sticks on the PS3 to have much less resistance which made the 360 controller experience better for me. Has that changed with the controller for the PS3?
- I would hate to have to leave the ole group from the COD4 days on 360 vs. having to jump on PS4 and making new friends though that seems to have fallen out of importance given I've gotta find time to play with two kids now.
- sure, on PS4, the game will probably look better but will that translate into a much more enjoyable gaming experience?

COD is like playing hoops for me. The equipment can change (new ball, new kicks, new bag, now shots and shirt etc) and the rules can be altered like make it take it, first to 11, best of 3 etc. but the core of having team work to pass the ball to the open guy to score and then play D. that's what it's all about. COD, I just want to get some kills, some dog tags, some flags and have fun for a few hours. It exercises my brain-at least that's what I want to tell my wife...

I was a 360 player that switched to ps4, so i cannot talk about the XB1 experience, but i will give you my thoughts
- on PS4 (it might be the same on xb1) there is very little lag and i can definitely notice the ded. servers, i have had zero host migrations and almost every time i feel like i should get a kill i do and vice versa, that is a first for COD
- i almost didn't buy the ps4 due to how much i loved the 360 controller, but i actually love the ds4, i was very skeptical but i actually really like it
- the whole friends thing is tough, you have to make a decision on that

long story short, i didn't buy the ps4 because i was in love with it, but because i didn't like the XB1, but after owning it, i am very happy with it.. i already had an AVS guy that introduced me to a whole clan and i am part of them now...

so once again not saying ps4 is better than xb1, i haven't played cod on xb1, it is just my experience with cod on ps4
beach scrub likes this.
post #1273 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I think you're not on dedicated but because they don't show network connections anymore you think you are. You're just the luckiest person alive and haven't ever had a laggy match I guess. rolleyes.gif

Srsly, we had some CRAZY stuff happening the other night. The lag was so bad for everyone in our lobby that you couldn't even run through a door consistently because it would keep warping you backwards or sideways or both. It was so bad to the point of being comical. Also, just about every time we play there are games where people are randomly dropped or everyone is dropped (disconnected from host) or some people have terrible lag. IW trolled us all hard with this dedicated servers thing. Well played IW, well played.

I'm 100% sure I'm on dedicated at least some of the time. Impossible to go 500 matches without seeing a host migration at least a few times, but I've seen zero. My router shows that the games are running on servers with hostnames and not just IPs, which is something you'd see with dedis. I've never seen it spike in bandwidth like it would if I was host either. It seems to really favor a datacenter in NJ that's like 50mi away for almost all my matches.

I wonder if the reason you guys aren't seeing it is because something is up on the Xbox platforms, or whether it's favoring player hosting for you guys based on distance from a datacenter or something.

post #1274 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 192
Micah - I don't have a PS4 yet and I haven't been playing COD Ghosts much yet but I will say that the ability to route your tv through the XB1 and control it via voice is incredibly useful to me. We had twins three weeks ago today (thus the reason for the lack of gaming) and I am constantly holding a baby in my arms. Many times, all the remotes are pretty far away. I absolutely love being able to say "Xbox, Go to Netflix" and it does and I can then navigate through netflix easily and play what I want. Even better is saying "Xbox, Pause" when a baby starts crying or I have to get up to change a diaper. I hardly even use the controller. I also really like the Xbox OneGuide. Once you get the hang of it and learn the right commands, navigating the tv menus are easy. Plus, it will be awesome to be able to snap to a football game in the middle of an xbox game.

I honestly didn't think prior to using it that the kinect features would be so great but now I can't imagine not using them.

I think the actual games are going to be the same or close enough on either system to not really matter. Plus Titanfall is an X1 exclusive, at least for the first installment though it could be for life, and I think that is going to be the COD killer.

I don't know how many players PS4 has on COD vs X1 but I still don't care for the PS controller and, even though I will get a PS4, I will still play all my multiplatforms on the X1 due to the controller and Xbox live. Plus, I have friends that I have been gaming with since being a beta tester for Xbox live that I want to continue playing with.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #1275 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm 100% sure I'm on dedicated at least some of the time. Impossible to go 500 matches without seeing a host migration at least a few times, but I've seen zero. My router shows that the games are running on servers with hostnames and not just IPs, which is something you'd see with dedis. I've never seen it spike in bandwidth like it would if I was host either. It seems to really favor a datacenter in NJ that's like 50mi away for almost all my matches.

I wonder if the reason you guys aren't seeing it is because something is up on the Xbox platforms, or whether it's favoring player hosting for you guys based on distance from a datacenter or something.

How many players are on X1 vs PS4 for COD? I wonder if there are more players at times on X1 and people get shifted to P2P connections when there are too many players at once?

post #1276 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlittlejeans View Post

How many players are on X1 vs PS4 for COD? I wonder if there are more players at times on X1 and people get shifted to P2P connections when there are too many players at once?

I dunno about the Xbox side. I presume it's more, but at prime time I usually see about 100-150K on PS3 and 30-50K on ps4. That could def be part of the reason....but I haven't seen migrations on either PS3/4. I assume there's way more on PS3 than x1.

post #1277 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong View Post

I'm in a similar situation and I've been debating the same thing myself. I've never beasted but I was decidedly better in CoD4 and MW2 than any of the more recent releases. I'm chalking that up to old age. biggrin.gif

I have had the benefit of playing on my son's XB1, and I really like the new controller...particularly the sticks. But a few friends who have played both have said the experience is better on PS4, primarily due to the connection.

I also have many more friends on XBox, but I haven't really played with any of them on Ghosts. I think that's more of a factor of family obligations and won't change with the move to a new system.

PSN ID: HushH
XBL GT: HushH03
post #1278 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Cod 4 is hacked to pieces...

I love cod 4 and it does have some great maps and probably the best balance in the series. Still, frag x3 and martyrdom were horrible. At least as bad as Oma/danger close in mw2. I really think that ghosts has the potential to be as good as those two games assuming they can fix the spawns and don't screw anything else up. The maps are a bit hit or miss but who knows-- maybe the downloadable content will help there.

Nahh..maybe it used to, but after about 2 weeks play time I've experienced 3 hacked games. The try-hards, kidz and QSpers are all but gone, what's left are true fans of the game playing
for "fun" as all the challenges and xps are done. I was in a lobby with 11 gold cross 55's, Domination on Block..it brought back fond memories of 2006-07 era.

COD4 1080P with dedicated server...one can only dream.
post #1279 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookilook View Post

COD4 1080P with dedicated server...one can only dream.

Or buy the PC version. smile.gif

post #1280 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 11:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

This is the only thing that could make me consider a gaming PC. Do you know if there are many people playing COD4 on PC still? Is it hacked like the consoles?

post #1281 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 11:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

This is the only thing that could make me consider a gaming PC. Do you know if there are many people playing COD4 on PC still? Is it hacked like the consoles?

I'm sure people are still playing it. There's no matchmaking though IIRC, it's old school pick a server and play. Lots have crazy modifications, it probably bares no resemblance to the console experience by this point. And forget about using a controller, you'll get destroyed.

I do remember back in the day some pretty insane 32 player matches though, just grenades flying EVERYWHERE.

post #1282 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hey... I seriously didn't even consider that until now! Thank you!biggrin.gif
post #1283 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm sure people are still playing it. There's no matchmaking though IIRC, it's old school pick a server and play. Lots have crazy modifications, it probably bares no resemblance to the console experience by this point. And forget about using a controller, you'll get destroyed.

I do remember back in the day some pretty insane 32 player matches though, just grenades flying EVERYWHERE.

Just as noob tubes defined mw2, random-nuclear-john-elway-miracle-'nades defined cod4! smile.gif
beach scrub likes this.

--Carl Sagan
post #1284 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Was it Shipment that was the boat map in COD4? I loved that map. Had a special class set up for it. 3X Frags and sonic boom.

post #1285 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I really can't overstate the amount of grenades there were on PC. Remember that map that was just middle silos and a few hangars at the ends? Everyone would spawn and chuck their nades across the map immediately. 32 players with 3 nades each....there were no less than 20-30 nades in the air at any one time!

post #1286 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

downpour?

post #1287 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I think it was countdown.

post #1288 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

I was a 360 player that switched to ps4, so i cannot talk about the XB1 experience, but i will give you my thoughts
- on PS4 (it might be the same on xb1) there is very little lag and i can definitely notice the ded. servers, i have had zero host migrations and almost every time i feel like i should get a kill i do and vice versa, that is a first for COD
- i almost didn't buy the ps4 due to how much i loved the 360 controller, but i actually love the ds4, i was very skeptical but i actually really like it
- the whole friends thing is tough, you have to make a decision on that

long story short, i didn't buy the ps4 because i was in love with it, but because i didn't like the XB1, but after owning it, i am very happy with it.. i already had an AVS guy that introduced me to a whole clan and i am part of them now...

so once again not saying ps4 is better than xb1, i haven't played cod on xb1, it is just my experience with cod on ps4

Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I have a few friends/co-workers that made the switch and they're raving. They were solid XBOX peeps back in the day and suddenly they're PS4. Though I think it's got more to do with the price thing since last gen, they went with the lower priced console as well. Some say it's the same as far asgraphics are concerned and at the same time, others have said that it's nicer, a noticeable jump. I just don't know who to believe.

yes, tough choice on the friends list.

Quote:

Micah - I don't have a PS4 yet and I haven't been playing COD Ghosts much yet but I will say that the ability to route your tv through the XB1 and control it via voice is incredibly useful to me. We had twins three weeks ago today (thus the reason for the lack of gaming) and I am constantly holding a baby in my arms. Many times, all the remotes are pretty far away. I absolutely love being able to say "Xbox, Go to Netflix" and it does and I can then navigate through netflix easily and play what I want. Even better is saying "Xbox, Pause" when a baby starts crying or I have to get up to change a diaper. I hardly even use the controller. I also really like the Xbox OneGuide. Once you get the hang of it and learn the right commands, navigating the tv menus are easy. Plus, it will be awesome to be able to snap to a football game in the middle of an xbox game.

I honestly didn't think prior to using it that the kinect features would be so great but now I can't imagine not using them.

I think the actual games are going to be the same or close enough on either system to not really matter. Plus Titanfall is an X1 exclusive, at least for the first installment though it could be for life, and I think that is going to be the COD killer.

I don't know how many players PS4 has on COD vs X1 but I still don't care for the PS controller and, even though I will get a PS4, I will still play all my multiplatforms on the X1 due to the controller and Xbox live. Plus, I have friends that I have been gaming with since being a beta tester for Xbox live that I want to continue playing with.

CONGRATULATIONS on the new kids! I didn't realize. I know that one at a time is tough but two at a time is just insane. I cannot imagine.

You know you are onto something with this voice command stuff. I know that I can sell this to the wife so that she can play her games on the X1 or command Netflix and Hulu. With a 3 year old and a 1 year old, our house is a mess as well as having to change diapers and make sure toys are off the floor. She can youtube a walk through for assassin's creed AND play it at the same time theoretically right? Hmm, interesting. This might be the year that we swap systems (PS4 downstairs and XBOX in the family room vs. 360 in the basement and PS3 in the family room right now). I didn't even think of these features that you brought up.

TitanFall might actually make me swap systems AGAIN when they come out. There's no way the wife is going to let me spend another $1k for another set of systems! I do think in the near future, when the basement gets finished, I will have two TVs in separate areas of the basement and each will have its own system. One XBOX and on PS. While upstairs will have one device; XBOX One (most likely)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hushh View Post

I'm in a similar situation and I've been debating the same thing myself. I've never beasted but I was decidedly better in CoD4 and MW2 than any of the more recent releases. I'm chalking that up to old age. biggrin.gif

I have had the benefit of playing on my son's XB1, and I really like the new controller...particularly the sticks. But a few friends who have played both have said the experience is better on PS4, primarily due to the connection.

I also have many more friends on XBox, but I haven't really played with any of them on Ghosts. I think that's more of a factor of family obligations and won't change with the move to a new system.

LOL! Beasted. Man, that term brings back memories (anyone remember the "Hangout Thread" and "Official COD4 Thread" those were the days.). I can still beast some if my connection is all well and good but most nights, I'm struggling along with a 15-15 or 14-17 or 16-15. I just can't quite get over the hump consistently. I do enjoy it and am learning to look up and down especially on Chasm and Tremor and Overlord and a few more but the head to head battles can kiss my ass. So if the PS4 experience is decidedly better due to "less perceived lag" that might push me to go that way. I hedged anyways since I have the digital for XBOX 360 and $10 X1 I can still hop on X1 and play if the wife is away. On the other days, I will be on PS4...That can change, the wife is a HUGE fan of Uncharted so we might switch systems at some point next year. LOL!

I Geez Zeus Me

post #1289 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just as noob tubes defined mw2, random-nuclear-john-elway-miracle-'nades defined cod4! smile.gif

I was good at grenades in COD4 but I was god with grenades in Rainbow SIx 3 on the OG XBOX

I Geez Zeus Me

post #1290 of 1801 Old 12-03-2013, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think it was countdown.

I Geez Zeus Me