Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1801 Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Wondered what that 14 kill support streak was? The one right before chopper sniper-- the one that looks like an invisible man? Wondered what the hell was up with that dude at the end of the trailer vanishing into thin air?

If this makes it into the final build I'll know that the developers have lost their minds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFz68_PfJMQ&sns=em

Turns out that a game mode called blitz, you score a point and teleport back to your base

gt: EverydayBADGUY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 1378
This is one of the things that has me worried about dedicated servers on X1. These are the locations of the Azure data centers.

North America
North-central US - Chicago, IL
South-central US - San Antonio, TX
West US - California
East US - Virginia
Asia
East Asia - Hong Kong, China
South East Asia - Singapore
Europe
North Europe - Dublin, Ireland
West Europe - Amsterdam, Netherlands
Oceania (announced, coming soon)[10]
Sydney, New South Wales (announced, coming soon)
Melbourne, Victoria (announced, coming soon)

They're well spread throughout the world...but a lot of people aren't going to have a data center nearby. With player hosting I can easily get a match in NYC, with azure, best case scenario for me is Virginia. That's gonna add quite a few network hops. The people who might end up having it really bad are in the Midwest, southeast, upper New England, Canada etc.

They have other nodes spread out, but those are supposedly just content caches. Hopefully if it doesn't work out well as it is, they'll add game servers to the caching nodes.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #183 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

This is one of the things that has me worried about dedicated servers on X1. These are the locations of the Azure data centers.

North America
West US - California
East US - Virginia
Asia
Europe

They're well spread throughout the world...but a lot of people aren't going to have a data center nearby. With player hosting I can easily get a match in NYC, with azure, best case scenario for me is Virginia. That's gonna add quite a few network hops. The people who might end up having it really bad are in the Midwest, southeast, upper New England, Canada etc.

They have other nodes spread out, but those are supposedly just content caches. Hopefully if it doesn't work out well as it is, they'll add game servers to the caching nodes.

But more farms are being added to Azure as well so this will increase.

The 5.0 is here
post #184 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

But more farms are being added to Azure as well so this will increase.

I've read about one in Iowa, but it's not up and running yet. Don't get me wrong, there's ways for them to deal with it, but that might be a very bumpy road. The easy way to solve it is to let anyone host a dedicated server like the good ol days, but there's no profit in that.

post #185 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:

You should include the nodes in the list because their purpose is to maximize bandwidth and lower latency. Also, the list of the data centers you showed doesn't even list the 2 data centers in Japan.
post #186 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

You should include the nodes in the list because their purpose is to maximize bandwidth and lower latency. Also, the list of the data centers you showed doesn't even list the 2 data centers in Japan.

That's the best list I could find, I searched for quite some time. If you can find a more up to date one by all means post it, because I really want to believe they're running servers in more than just 4 US locations at launch.

Based on MS's description, the CDN nodes aren't for real time applications like game servers, just content delivery (which should help game download speeds at least).
Quote:
The Windows Azure Content Delivery Network (CDN) caches Windows Azure blobs and static content used by cloud services at strategically placed locations to provide maximum bandwidth for delivering content to users.

post #187 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:

North America
West US - California
East US - Virginia
Asia
Europe

SWEET!!!! I am 10ms from Chicago!!!!!biggrin.gif

XBL-Steelhouse1

"No one wants to fight the naked guy."
post #188 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Look at the bright side: at least your connection will be consistent. Right now I can never tell from one game to the next what kind of experience I'll have and the cheating on P2P is rampant.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
post #189 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Look at the bright side: at least your connection will be consistent. Right now I can never tell from one game to the next what kind of experience I'll have and the cheating on P2P is rampant.

What do you mean by cheating?

post #190 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 687
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubdenno View Post

SWEET!!!! I am 10ms from Chicago!!!!!biggrin.gif

so if ya'll don't have lag what will Ms. cuss about??
post #191 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

so if ya'll don't have lag what will Ms. cuss about??
"effing !@#got campers" wink.giftongue.gif
bd2003 and benjamin-benjami like this.

My Rig

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #192 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's the best list I could find, I searched for quite some time. If you can find a more up to date one by all means post it, because I really want to believe they're running servers in more than just 4 US locations at launch.

Based on MS's description, the CDN nodes aren't for real time applications like game servers, just content delivery (which should help game download speeds at least).

No one should be able to find a full list of locations worldwide for farm locations due to security.

The 5.0 is here
post #193 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

No one should be able to find a full list of locations worldwide for farm locations due to security.

You actually think MS datacenters are targets for terrorists or something?

post #194 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
actually, a lot of data centers do hide their exact whereabouts and of course have extremely high security...

http://www.datacentermap.com/blog/secret-data-center-locations-105.html

At this site, they actually list many hidden data centers and talk about the efficacy of hiding large data centers. The smaller providers are more likely to hide as their facilities are smaller. The big guys know it's kind of hard to hide.

Google didn't show off their 8 data centers until last year:

http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/gallery/#/

Google's 8 data centers include:
Berkeley County, S.C.;
Council Bluffs, Iowa;
Douglas County, Ga.;
Mayes County, Okla.;
Lenoir, N.C.;
The Dalles, Ore.;
Hamina, Finland;
St. Ghislain, Belgium

Other data centers are being built in Quilicura, Chile; Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan.
post #195 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You actually think MS datacenters are targets for terrorists or something?

In todays world you don't think that is one of many possibilities?

Article from 2009 updated July 2013
http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/05/14/whos-got-the-most-web-servers/
Quote:
Which company has most web servers? We first examined the question in April 2009, prompted by news that Rackspace now had 50,000 servers. We went looking for other companies that publicly report their server counts, and put together a list of those whose numbers we know, along with a rundown of companies that have extensive Internet infrastructure but don’t disclose their server counts. Here’s a look at our list of Who Has The Most Servers, gleaned from public reports and partial data from a recent Netcraft server count report.

Updated, in July 2013 to add new Microsoft count, Facebook’s estimate, eBay’s DSE number and reflect continuing growth at OVH, Akamai and Rackspace:

Microsoft has more than 1 million servers, according to CEO Steve Ballmer (July, 2013)

Google: The search giant’s server count has long been the focus of speculation. The company doesn’t release numbers, but a recent report from energy expert Jonathan Koomey estimated that Google had 900,000 servers, based on an extrapolation from data Google provided on its total energy usage. Google’s recently revealed container data center holds more than 45,000 servers, and that’s a single facility built in 2005.

Amazon: It runs the world’s largest online store and one of the world’s largest cloud computing operations. Amazon says very little about its data center operations, but we know that it bought $86 million in servers from Rackable in 2008, and stores 40 billion objects in its S3 storage service. A 2009 analysis by Randy Bias estimates that 40,000 servers are dedicated to running Amazon Web Services’ EC2

The 5.0 is here
post #196 of 1801 Old 08-21-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I dunno, it just seems like a crazy bizarre target. There's hardly any people there. So you destroy a bunch of servers, insurance covers the losses, big whoop. I doubt any critical data would be lost either. Maybe terrorists havent heard of off-site backups?  

It's not like people need to know GPS coordinates, which state it's in is good enough to judge how solid the connection will be. I guess they wouldnt want people to know that either though. :p

I just don't like the idea of running game servers in a handful of huge datacenters. So much could go wrong. I'm all for dedicated servers, but they should let individuals spawn their own, an always-on X1 with a solid connection could make a killer COD/Titanfall/BF4 server. That would ease the costs of running them on the dev (which we'll end up paying for one way or another), and they could even give away DLC and stuff as a reward for the best servers. Then the game would never die...you can still play quake 1 online because its free and decentralized. I doubt MS would allow it though.

post #197 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-22-watch-this-space-for-cod-ghosts-dedicated-servers-on-playstation-xbox-360-and-wii-u

nfinity Ward has confirmed dedicated servers for the Xbox One and PC versions of Call of Duty: Ghosts, but what about other platforms?

During Microsoft's Gamescom media briefing this week Infinity Ward executive producer Mark Rubin announced the Xbox One version of the upcoming shooter would benefit from dedicated servers powered by the Xbox Live cloud in a similar fashion to Respawn's Titanfall.

In an interview with Eurogamer following the announcement, Rubin confirmed dedicated servers for the PC version also - but wouldn't be drawn on PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 or Xbox 360.

"Those [Xbox One and PC] are the only platforms we're talking about at the moment," Rubin said. "So, watch this space!""Microsoft's 300,000 server Xbox Live Cloud is a subset of Microsoft's Azure platform. The part reserved for Xbox Live is called Thunderhead, which can only be used for Xbox One - not PC or even Xbox 360.

While Rubin wasn't able to go into detail on how Ghosts will work on the cloud (in-game you'll connect in the same way you're used to, except you're connecting to dedicated servers), he did provide interesting insight into how the decision to use it came to be.

"Very early in the project we had a bunch of meetings with Xbox, where they'd come in, a few engineers and their representatives, and they'd start telling us about what the Xbox One was going to be," Rubin said, "what the specs were at the time - they change over time - what some of the plans were, some of the features, Kinect, online, all that sort of stuff. They started giving us the brain dump of everything they knew they were aiming for.

"Information comes in batches. They don't necessarily know everything all at once. And one of those meetings was the talk of the Xbox Live Cloud. We perked up at that. They weren't prepared to answer all our questions, but we were grilling them, asking, what does it mean? What does it do? What's the coverage? How many servers? What's the throughput? We just kept going and going and going, and they were like, we have no idea how to answer those questions. It doesn't exist yet. We'll get back to you.

"So we dropped it for a while. Then it came back, and we had details on Xbox Live servers and the cloud. Then we sat with that information and studied it, and tried to figure if this was something that could work for us. We felt, yes, this will help us. We can do dedicated servers off of it and we think it will make for a better experience for people.

"We ended up pulling the trigger probably only a couple of months ago. The cloud service they're offering hadn't completely formed yet. But we pulled the trigger, and now I've announced it so now I have to do it.""
onlysublime likes this.

The 5.0 is here
post #198 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 06:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The way it's actually going to work is still really light on details. Respawn said straight up that titanfall only works with dedicated servers, it's fundamental to the design. We already know that ghosts doesn't *need* them...so there's a whole bunch of ways this can turn out. It could be a paid for service like it is with BF, and most games are still player hosted. Or every game is hosted on azure, and they try to fund it with microtransactions for the gear. All I know is their costs just leapt up, and someone is gonna have to pay for it somehow.

post #199 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 08:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:

The way it's actually going to work is still really light on details. Respawn said straight up that titanfall only works with dedicated servers, it's fundamental to the design. We already know that ghosts doesn't *need* them...so there's a whole bunch of ways this can turn out. It could be a paid for service like it is with BF, and most games are still player hosted. Or every game is hosted on azure, and they try to fund it with microtransactions for the gear. All I know is their costs just leapt up, and someone is gonna have to pay for it somehow.

Heh. They're a 3 billion dollar franchise, I think they can find a place to write it off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "premium" dedicated servers & matchmaking options vs a the plebs getting a normal peer connection/server. It would split their userbase somewhat, but it's so large will it really matter? Seeing friends in their upper class would market itself to the crowd that loves this game.

But it will only work as long as the franchise is still strong.
post #200 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 08:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Heh. They're a 3 billion dollar franchise, I think they can find a place to write it off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see "premium" dedicated servers & matchmaking options vs a the plebs getting a normal peer connection/server. It would split their userbase somewhat, but it's so large will it really matter? Seeing friends in their upper class would market itself to the crowd that loves this game.

But it will only work as long as the franchise is still strong.

I guess thinking about it more, it's the only one out of 7 platforms that's featuring them, and the installbase is going to be relatively small, the costs prob won't be so bad. Cod elite probably costs them way more to run. Seeing how in bed cod and MS are they probably got a killer deal anyway. I guess I'm thinking more about the costs 2-3 years from now, when there's a lot more next gen systems out there.

post #201 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 09:05 AM
AVS Addicted Member

http://www.charlieintel.com/2013/08/22/call-of-duty-ghosts-character-transfer-works-between-any-platform/
Quote:
It was announced at MP reveal event that you character in Ghosts would be transferable between consoles within the same family, however, Mark Rubin today said that you can transfer your characters between any platform.

This means that you can go from an Xbox 360 to a PS4 and all your character stuff will be available for you. Same with PS3 to Xbox One. Or even between the PC.

Nice! Just one step away from being able to buy it once from activision, and play it on any console or PC.

post #202 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
Quote:

http://www.charlieintel.com/2013/08/22/call-of-duty-ghosts-character-transfer-works-between-any-platform/
Nice! Just one step away from being able to buy it once from activision, and play it on any console or PC.
You really think Activision is going to let go of multiple sales that easily?

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #203 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

You really think Activision is going to let go of multiple sales that easily?

The amount of people actually buying it on multiple platforms has got to be tiny. Buy once, play anywhere adds so much value that it would probably result in more overall sales. I'm certain this is the way everything is headed long term (5+ years), but it'll happen so gradually that it won't seem like a big deal.

The roadblock to this happening isn't activision, it's the platforms themselves (and retail). You'll see cross-buy between related platforms first (PC/360/X1 or PS3/4/Vita). Once a few more viable platforms get out there (amazon, apple, google), eventually the big publishers will have more leverage than any single platform.

post #204 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 832
A $10 extra digital platform pass with a digital copy purchase seems like an awesome idea to me. Also ensures one less resellable copy in the wild.

Those or the sorts of tradeoffs where everybody wins.
post #205 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

A $10 extra digital platform pass with a digital copy purchase seems like an awesome idea to me. Also ensures one less resellable copy in the wild.

Those or the sorts of tradeoffs where everybody wins.

I don't need to pay a fee to play most PS3/vita games or any steam or blizzard PC/Mac games.

If they want people to move to digital for $60 games, more carrots and less sticks. If I already bought the game via the method most profitable to them, a fee on top of that would just be a slap in the face. I could stomach it for a while since everything is in transition, but I'd still feel like I'm being cheated.

post #206 of 1801 Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you mean by cheating?

I mean cheating. See also: hacking, modding, lag switching, etc.

--Carl Sagan
post #207 of 1801 Old 09-06-2013, 12:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
From Mark Rubin:

Update/Clarification regarding Sniper Rifles:

One of the areas that is getting lot of love in Call of Duty: Ghosts is the Sniper Rifle. By creating the Marksman class we were able to focus the Sniper class on really powerful high-caliber weapon systems. We feel, and many of the pro players who have played would agree, that sniping has never been better.

The changes we’ve made, like dual render scopes and increased damage really make snipers a great competitive class to use. We’ve also done a lot with map design (sight lines and cover) to ensure that all classes are viably effective. Both short range and long range classes will be effective on the same maps.

However in re-envisioning sniper rifles some aspects, such as sway timing, have changed the way sniper rifles function and so traditional “quick-scoping” has been affected. Is it gone completely? Maybe. It certainly won’t be viable in the way it previously was. Can’t wait for you snipers out there to get your hands on these new sniper rifles and try them out for yourselves.

See you in game!
-Mark

post #208 of 1801 Old 09-06-2013, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Nice.

post #209 of 1801 Old 09-06-2013, 03:58 PM
AVS Special Member

They're certainly SAYING all the right things...

[then I remember this...]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYWKV3FyMl0&sns=em

--Carl Sagan
post #210 of 1801 Old 09-10-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Infinity Ward’s Candice Capen has confirmed that Domination in Ghosts will be similar to MW3, not round based like Black Ops 2.

Reply Xbox Area

Tags
Call Of Duty Ghosts Xbox One

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page