Hidden in Plain Sight -- local multiplayer party game... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all!

I made a game called "Hidden in Plain Sight". It's a local-multiplayer game, which means you have to be in the same room with your friends to play it. No single player gameplay, and no online multiplayer.

Still with me? If you're in the lucky position to have some roomates or friends around, I hope you'll give it a try. It's gotten a lot of good press and really good user feedback, (for example, it was a finalist at IndieCade 2012). It's 80MSP and available on the Xbox Live Indie Games platform.

I'm the developer of the game, so don't trust anything I tell you. But if it sounds interesting, download the free trial and give it a shot. I can almost guarentee you'll like it, given the feedback I've gotten.

There are five game modes included, and they each follow a similar theme:

1) Each player controls a little guy on the screen in a sea of computer-controlled guys who look just like you.
2) The NPCs wander around randomly, but the players are trying to accomplish a particular goal without giving themselves away as human-controlled players.
3) You don't want to give yourself away, because players also have the means to eliminate each other from the game.

So the whole name of the game is to blend in, accomplish goals, and try to suss out the other players and eliminate them before they do the same to you.

For example, one of the game modes is "Death Race":

You and your buddies are in a race with a bunch of robots who look just like you. You can walk or run to the finish line. However, each player has a gun with a single bullet in it. So do you make a break for the finish line to win the race? Or do you hang back with the rest of the pack and blend in, reducing your chances of winning but also not arousing suspicion?

Here's a full description of each game mode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72XXzdVP26g

Here is the crew from SourceFed giving it a try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLXsJ0qS_Q

Let me know if you have any questions. I apologize if I sound like a marketing douche.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Great concept! Sounds like a simple, indie version of R.U.S.E. ha ha. For 80pts I'll be picking it up just to try out. Come on AVS, we're community! Spend 1 lousy dollar and support a developer amongst us! cool.gif

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #3 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 05:04 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Sounds fun, unfortunately I don't have any friends.

XBOX Live: Hank Love
post #4 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracat View Post

Great concept! Sounds like a simple, indie version of R.U.S.E. ha ha. For 80pts I'll be picking it up just to try out. Come on AVS, we're community! Spend 1 lousy dollar and support a developer amongst us! cool.gif

I appreciate the thought, I really do. But I'd encourage you to not waste your 80 points based only on the fact that I have a rarely used login to this site. smile.gif

If you want to be a help to an indie developer, try the game and if you like it, recommend it to friends.
post #5 of 14 Old 01-23-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by adman123 View Post

I appreciate the thought, I really do. But I'd encourage you to not waste your 80 points based only on the fact that I have a rarely used login to this site. smile.gif

If you want to be a help to an indie developer, try the game and if you like it, recommend it to friends.

Watched the youtube video on it. Looks liek a lot of fun, unfortunately i only have one xbox controller. Any chance this come out on PSN store, I have 4 controllers for the PS3.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #6 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahartig View Post

Watched the youtube video on it. Looks liek a lot of fun, unfortunately i only have one xbox controller. Any chance this come out on PSN store, I have 4 controllers for the PS3.

No chance, sorry. I wish I could, but PSN is a whole different technology and ballgame for tiny indie developers like me.
post #7 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There's a thread on NeoGAF about backwards compatibility regarding XBLA and your game got a mention!
Wait, you're not joffocakes are you? biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by joffocakes 
If they added extra functionality then I wouldn't mind paying a small fee. I'd be very happy if I could carry all my XBLA fighting games accross. I wonder if there's much hope for indie games like Hidden In Plain Sight?
post #8 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I'll be picking it up.

GT: damnsnake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-24-2013, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdethloff View Post

There's a thread on NeoGAF about backwards compatibility regarding XBLA and your game got a mention!
Wait, you're not joffocakes are you? biggrin.gif

Ha, no, I'm not Joffocakes. He's probably my biggest fan, though, and always mentions it whever he can. smile.gif
post #10 of 14 Old 03-03-2013, 04:09 AM

This is a great game. Showed this to my girlfriend (a non-gamer) last night and even she loved it. So can't recommend your game enough, as it's great for gamers and non-gamers alike, and means that she has a game to play with me, instead of just moaning about them. smile.gif The mechanics work really well and the Death Race level would be my favourite one out of them all.

Pete at Wild Melon
post #11 of 14 Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I would recommend this as well. Enjoyed it with two players can't wait to try it with four.

Disclaimer:
The words above are based on loose facts mixed with my opinion, the latter of which is subject to change.

Gamertag Morkaleb
PSN Archathema
post #12 of 14 Old 03-05-2013, 09:14 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Cool, I'll give it a try. My first Indie game! kind of crazy since I've owned the 360 since launch.
post #13 of 14 Old 03-08-2013, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Nice! I appreciate the kind words. Definitely try with 4 players (or more!) if you can. Death Race is a great spectator sport. smile.gif

Thanks for the followup!
post #14 of 14 Old 03-12-2013, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Saw your thread and checked out the youtube vid. I was intrigued and sent the link to the Mrs. She insisted I have it downloaded by the time she got home! We really enjoy it. Nice work. We're excited to try it out with another couple to get some 4player going.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page