Windows 8, Xbox achievements Pac-Man, World Series of Poker: Full House Pro - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 493
does anyone know if you buy the game again for Windows 8, you can get the achievements again? or if you already did the achievement on the Xbox, it'll be done for the PC?

I think I remembered someone here say you can earn the achievements again. But I just wanted to make sure.

I just read that Pac Man Championship Edition DX is coming to Windows 8, and I wouldn't mind picking it up to play on my tablet, laptop, and desktop PCs. I just think it'll be neat to get the achievements again. I think it'll actually be more responsive with a keyboard than with a d-pad.

On a side note, anyone with any idea whether there'll be crossplatform play for the F2P poker game? The press release says you can play in Windows 8 and then switch over and continue on the Xbox. But it's unclear whether someone on the Xbox can play against someone in Windows 8.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 201
There's not a lot of details out there yet, but until someone is able to provide a confirmation, I think past history points towards XBLA for Window's having their achievements be seperate like a PC Game's for Windows release that's also available on the 360 would be.

Even 360 game's across different regions are sometimes considered different from each other (Particularly if the title's are different). I have a friend from Europe that has Sonic's Ultimate MegaDrive Collection which is considered a different game than Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection here in North America. My gamerscore compared to his is shown as a - even though I earned the full 1000 points in the North American equivalent.

With the possible exception of Game Room which i think might share achievements across PC and 360, I don't think achievements are ever shared across different platforms.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The achievements are different. I've played Pac-Man on Windows Phone, Windows 8, and I think even XBLA and they're counted separately.

For what it's worth, the touchscreen controls on the Windows 8 version are bad; they use a virtual d-pad instead of swipes, so keep that in mind. It does work with the keyboard or a 360 controller though.

No idea on the cross-platform play thing though. Skulls of the Shogun is supposed to come out for all three platforms next week, and that one is cross-platform (though three separate purchases), but no idea if the new Full House Poker will do that.

Edit: Just as confirmation:

(The top is Windows Phone, then Windows 8/RT, then XBLA).

The same is also true for Pinball FX2.

XBL/Steam: JHoff80
post #4 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

cool deal! especially great thanks for the screenshot. how is it with the keyboard? I figure that'll even be better than a joystick or d-pad.

edit: just tried the demo! so cool. as far as I can tell, the only difference between it and the 360 version is Pac-Man now has an arrow in front on him indicating what direction the arrow key is being pressed? control is super tight with the keyboard.

I just noticed you have more achievement points in the Windows version than the Xbox version. Is that simply due to playing the Windows version more? Or are the achievement goals different?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

With the keyboard, as you say, it works great. The same goes for using a 360 controller. Touch and the virtual d-pad make the playfield shrink to half-size, and it just doesn't work too well. I don't know why they didn't just keep the swipe controls like in the Windows Phone version.

And yeah, the achievements are identical for each version. I must have gotten distracted pretty quickly with the XBLA version and ended up playing another game, but I find that it works pretty well on my phone and on Windows 8 to pass the time quickly.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 05:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post

And yeah, the achievements are identical for each version. I must have gotten distracted pretty quickly with the XBLA version and ended up playing another game, but I find that it works pretty well on my phone and on Windows 8 to pass the time quickly.

were you the one that had the Surface? I can't remember...

Did you buy one of the keyboards? I played with both keyboards at the Microsoft Store for like 20 minutes. But I never thought about using the keyboard for gaming. How are they for gaming? They felt great for tying text. But with gaming, you need multiple keys held down constantly, and I never put the keyboards through that kind of testing (since the only games on the tablets at the store were touch games). I'm interested in the thinner keyboard but I honestly have no idea how it'd work for gaming.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

were you the one that had the Surface? I can't remember...

Did you buy one of the keyboards? I played with both keyboards at the Microsoft Store for like 20 minutes. But I never thought about using the keyboard for gaming. How are they for gaming? They felt great for tying text. But with gaming, you need multiple keys held down constantly, and I never put the keyboards through that kind of testing (since the only games on the tablets at the store were touch games). I'm interested in the thinner keyboard but I honestly have no idea how it'd work for gaming.

Yes, and I actually have both keyboards. The thinner one (Touch Cover) is okay for typing. It's much better than I thought it'd be, and I'm very impressed with the technology. It's just not for me. I slow from 90WPM to 60, and more importantly have many more errors. Some of that is from my brain not adjusting, but the indents on the F and J keys to signal where your fingers are also aren't pronounced enough. The thicker one (Type Cover) with real keys is perfect for me for typing though. I actually don't even bother with the Touch Cover anymore just because its conveniences (smaller size, more comfortable feel if you fold it behind the tablet) aren't enough to overcome the issues I personally have with typing on it.

Anyway, for gaming, it's tough to say for sure. Since you can't run desktop apps on it other than Office, I can't exactly download an n-key rollover test program. And Flash is limited to whitelisted stuff, so I can't do a test that way. One of the more classic tests that I've seen is to hold down both shift keys and try typing on all the keys. With the Type Cover (actual keyboard), the X, 1, and 4 don't work using that test method. The Touch Cover has no such issues. And since the Touch Cover makes a clicking noise when it recognizes a button press, I can know for sure that it recognizes as many as three keys at once.... with ANY combination of modifiers (shift, left ctrl, left alt, right alt, and right control) added to those three keys.

From empirical evidence from screwing around with the SNES emulator in the Windows Store, the Type Cover is slightly worse with this issue than my laptop keyboard. I mapped the arrows to WASD and the actual SNES buttons to Y, H, J, and U (figuring that using buttons closer to each other would amplify the problem) and if I was holding down A and D, the H button didn't do anything.

post #8 of 8 Old 01-22-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

yeah, most keyboards nowadays (even on very expensive keyboards) can't recognize more than 3 keypresses simultaneously. First experienced this when playing games with another on the same keyboard. Tried all different ways to work around this problem. Even hooking up multiple keyboards.

If I decided on the Surface, I'd definitely get the Surface Pro. I liked the Touch Cover. The only issue I had was the lack of rebound of your fingers like with a traditional keyboard. That bounce always felt great and was missed with the Touch Cover. The Type Cover felt awesome during typing. And honestly, it wasn't that much thicker than the thin one. So debates ahead for me.

It's kind of funny that this Microsoft paper discusses this "ghosting" and claims they solved it but your experience says otherwise:
http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/antighostingexplained.mspx

"In contrast, Microsoft's advanced anti-ghosting technology leverages multi-touch technology to prevent key ghosting. In addition, by using standard manufacturing techniques and avoiding diodes and large printed circuit boards, this technology remains inexpensive to produce, making it an interesting alternative to other currently available options."
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page