Dead Space 3 - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Member
 
MachineLove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I assume it means if you die, your save file gets erased (i.e. start over from the beginning, no reloading).

I have never failed. I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
MachineLove is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Compared to Dead Space 1 and 2 which averaged an 89 and 90 review score, Dead Space 3 is sitting at 79 right now. It also had no early reviews and limited copies seem to have made it out in to reviewer hands. Day one tends to be a bit higher than where the score finally settles, so we can expect this to end up at about an average of 74 once the people that actually pay for their games review it.

What a surprise.

I bought DS3 today and put in about 2.5 hours already so I'm well into the campaign and playing exclusively solo. So far, it feels like a Dead Space game to me. When you play alone, the creepiness factor is definitely there as the areas you explore are dark and delapidated. The necromorphs behave as you expect - jumping out of walls and ceilings and generally trying to make you jump from surprise. The weapons feel familiar and, so far, the good old plasma gun and a variant of the pulse rifle are my favorites. I've made steady progress and haven't had any trouble moving forward without having to perform any microtransactions. The game adds side-quests which flesh out the story further and I find jumping between those and the main story has kept things fresh and interesting so far. The crafting and upgrade system isn't cumbersome so far and I think it will come down to finding a couple of weapons you like and souping them up as much as possible. So overall, I'm happy with my purchase to this point and as I said, it looks, plays and feels like a Dead Space game.
TonyDP is offline  
post #33 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
joebloggs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

I bought DS3 today and put in about 2.5 hours already so I'm well into the campaign and playing exclusively solo. So far, it feels like a Dead Space game to me. When you play alone, the creepiness factor is definitely there as the areas you explore are dark and delapidated. The necromorphs behave as you expect - jumping out of walls and ceilings and generally trying to make you jump from surprise. The weapons feel familiar and, so far, the good old plasma gun and a variant of the pulse rifle are my favorites. I've made steady progress and haven't had any trouble moving forward without having to perform any microtransactions. The game adds side-quests which flesh out the story further and I find jumping between those and the main story has kept things fresh and interesting so far. The crafting and upgrade system isn't cumbersome so far and I think it will come down to finding a couple of weapons you like and souping them up as much as possible. So overall, I'm happy with my purchase to this point and as I said, it looks, plays and feels like a Dead Space game.

I totally agree. The graphics are great as well.
joebloggs13 is offline  
post #34 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 11:52 PM
Member
 
CoreGamer30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Compared to Dead Space 1 and 2 which averaged an 89 and 90 review score, Dead Space 3 is sitting at 79 right now. It also had no early reviews and limited copies seem to have made it out in to reviewer hands. Day one tends to be a bit higher than where the score finally settles, so we can expect this to end up at about an average of 74 once the people that actually pay for their games review it.

What a surprise.

Metacritic scores don't really matter to me as I remember Game Informer giving the original Dead Space a score of 6.5 and I ignorantly skipped it thinking the game was garbage.I then bought it for $20 bucks brand new and absolutely love it and felt that GI's score was complete BS.Also, I think the average score of 79 for DS3 is because some people are or were pissed that they included co-op which is a bit silly to knockdown the score because of that specific feature.I could be right or totally wrong in that regard.
CoreGamer30 is offline  
post #35 of 48 Old 02-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Member
 
CoreGamer30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachineLove View Post

I assume it means if you die, your save file getI s erased (i.e. start over from the beginning, no reloading).

I'm thinking the exact same thing as its possible to beat DS3 on HC by playing literally a perfect game or doing it in New Game Plus.Either way, that specific game mode is going to be one heck of a challenge to say the least.
CoreGamer30 is offline  
post #36 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 12:27 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
"Metacritic scores don't really matter to me as I remember Game Informer"

That's kind of the point of Metacritic. It makes it so a single stupid review doesn't destroy the general consensus.

Also, if your "co-op grrr!" theory held any water, then it would also hold true for Dead Space 2's throw-away competitive multiplayer. It didn't though. No, DS3 is simply a lower quality product than the previous two titles. If you like it? Hey, great! More power to you. The general feeling though is that it has skewed heavily away from it's horror roots and more toward the COD set pieces that we all became bored with two years ago. It's a game without direction, without soul, and infected with F2P mechanics. It's the Forza Horizon of third person shooters.
darklordjames is offline  
post #37 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Nickff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brownsburg, IN
Posts: 1,632
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"Metacritic scores don't really matter to me as I remember Game Informer"

That's kind of the point of Metacritic. It makes it so a single stupid review doesn't destroy the general consensus.

Also, if your "co-op grrr!" theory held any water, then it would also hold true for Dead Space 2's throw-away competitive multiplayer. It didn't though. No, DS3 is simply a lower quality product than the previous two titles. If you like it? Hey, great! More power to you. The general feeling though is that it has skewed heavily away from it's horror roots and more toward the COD set pieces that we all became bored with two years ago. It's a game without direction, without soul, and infected with F2P mechanics. It's the Forza Horizon of third person shooters.

Have you played DS3? If not, what possible merit is there in your previous comment? Professional reviews? Really?

You might be the most positive person on the planet. Your disposition is so rosy that it should be bottled for use on malcontents.

I loved the first two and am looking forward to de-limbing some necros soon.

Mathematics is the reason for the season.

 

http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Ogive

Nickff is offline  
post #38 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
joebloggs13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: London, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,090
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post

Have you played DS3? If not, what possible merit is there in your previous comment? Professional reviews? Really?

You might be the most positive person on the planet. Your disposition is so rosy that it should be bottled for use on malcontents.

I loved the first two and am looking forward to de-limbing some necros soon.

Then you won't be disapointed. Just started chap 2, and am loving it, just like the previous two installments.wink.gifbiggrin.gif
joebloggs13 is offline  
post #39 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 07:07 AM
Member
 
ToneCmdr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreGamer30 View Post

I'm thinking the exact same thing as its possible to beat DS3 on HC by playing literally a perfect game or doing it in New Game Plus.Either way, that specific game mode is going to be one heck of a challenge to say the least.

I think I'll be skipping Hard Core then. I finished DS2 HC, after many, many, incredibly stupid deaths (like slamming into debris while flying up to the ship!), got the Pew Pew gun and then I never played the game again.
ToneCmdr is offline  
post #40 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"Metacritic scores don't really matter to me as I remember Game Informer"

That's kind of the point of Metacritic. It makes it so a single stupid review doesn't destroy the general consensus.

Also, if your "co-op grrr!" theory held any water, then it would also hold true for Dead Space 2's throw-away competitive multiplayer. It didn't though. No, DS3 is simply a lower quality product than the previous two titles. If you like it? Hey, great! More power to you. The general feeling though is that it has skewed heavily away from it's horror roots and more toward the COD set pieces that we all became bored with two years ago. It's a game without direction, without soul, and infected with F2P mechanics. It's the Forza Horizon of third person shooters.

If you liked the prior games then I really think you'll get mileage from this one as well. I've read the reviews and based on what I've seen so far, the negative comments I've come across sound more like people looking for something to complain about than actual valid complaints. For example, the Kotaku review praises the first two games then complains that there are so many fetch quests and that Issac is constantly being told what to do and sent here and there; the problem with that is that the prior games (especially DS1) did exactly the same thing, sending Clarke on one errand after another to advance the story.

Despite what the reviews say, the classic DS elements are all there: creepy monsters, dark rooms to explore, dismemberments, kinesis and stasis, and so on. Also the story seems to logically flow from what we've already seen, with the Unitologists having become a even bigger threat.

As someone who has actually bought and played the game I'd urge you to form your own conclusions and not go by the musings of a few reviewers who (a) aren't as familiar with the series as they claim to be or (b) are just looking for something to complain about.
TonyDP is offline  
post #41 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Member
 
CoreGamer30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"Metacritic scores don't really matter to me as I remember Game Informer"

That's kind of the point of Metacritic. It makes it so a single stupid review doesn't destroy the general consensus.

Also, if your "co-op grrr!" theory held any water, then it would also hold true for Dead Space 2's throw-away competitive multiplayer. It didn't though. No, DS3 is simply a lower quality product than the previous two titles. If you like it? Hey, great! More power to you. The general feeling though is that it has skewed heavily away from it's horror roots and more toward the COD set pieces that we all became bored with two years ago. It's a game without direction, without soul, and infected with F2P mechanics. It's the Forza Horizon of third person shooters.

Your post in regards to DS3 absolutely holds no merit at all as I've played the game and its still DS with all of the creepy and unsettling atmosphere, great monsters, weapon crafting, excellent sound design etc.It is a fantastic game and is at the very least, as good as the previous entries in the series.
CoreGamer30 is offline  
post #42 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Member
 
CoreGamer30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDP View Post

If you liked the prior games then I really think you'll get mileage from this one as well. I've read the reviews and based on what I've seen so far, the negative comments I've come across sound more like people looking for something to complain about than actual valid complaints. For example, the Kotaku review praises the first two games then complains that there are so many fetch quests and that Issac is constantly being told what to do and sent here and there; the problem with that is that the prior games (especially DS1) did exactly the same thing, sending Clarke on one errand after another to advance the story.

Despite what the reviews say, the classic DS elements are all there: creepy monsters, dark rooms to explore, dismemberments, kinesis and stasis, and so on. Also the story seems to logically flow from what we've already seen, with the Unitologists having become a even bigger threat.

As someone who has actually bought and played the game I'd urge you to form your own conclusions and not go by the musings of a few reviewers who (a) aren't as familiar with the series as they claim to be or (b) are just looking for something to complain about.

Great post and I completely agree with everything that you stated...biggrin.gif
CoreGamer30 is offline  
post #43 of 48 Old 02-07-2013, 10:59 AM
Member
 
CoreGamer30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneCmdr View Post

I think I'll be skipping Hard Core then. I finished DS2 HC, after many, many, incredibly stupid deaths (like slamming into debris while flying up to the ship!), got the Pew Pew gun and then I never played the game again.


That would mean playing the whole game without suffering any stupid deaths, getting surrounded and slaughtered etc.Needless to say, it's going to be one mighty challenge and will definitely tackle HC after I'm done with my 1st playthrough.I think my Dark Souls experience will greatly help me out in HC... wink.gif
CoreGamer30 is offline  
post #44 of 48 Old 02-10-2013, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kjr39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,768
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 72
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/09/dead-space-3-resource-farming-glitch-wont-be-patched-is-intent/
Quote:
Dead Space 3 resource farming glitch won't be patched, is intentional

by Mike Suszek Writer RSS on Feb 9th 2013 1:30PM
0

A recently-discovered glitch in Dead Space 3 that allows players to farm infinite resources for item crafting isn't a glitch after all, according to EA's statement to GameFront. The method for obtaining said resources, skirting the game's microtransaction system, won't be patched out, either.

"The resource-earning mechanic in Dead Space 3 is not a glitch. We have no plans to issue a patch to change this aspect of the game. We encourage players to explore the game and discover the areas where resources respawn for free. We've deliberately designed Dead Space 3 to allow players to harvest resources by playing through the game," EA rep Jino Talens said.

The microtransaction model, which allows players to skip the resource-gathering at a cost, is still an option for players. "For those that wish to accumulate upgrades instantly, we have enabled an optional system for them to buy the resources at a minimal cost ($1-$3)," Talens added. With the farming glitch going unchecked, it's more likely that Dead Space 3 players will spend that money on cheap burritos.

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
kjr39 is online now  
post #45 of 48 Old 02-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Member
 
PowerCreep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Jacksonville, AR
Posts: 107
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
FWIW, bought the game and completed it. It was awesome. Awesome as the first two? Maybe not, but by the second sequel don't most things start feeling that way? It's still creepy, has GREAT sound (thanks SVS and EMP) and the graphics are top notch for this generation. Not once did I need to spend extra money to progress in the game. Not once did I run out of resources until near the end game; and I'm talking about resources to craft ammo and med kits with. That's because the game really picks up at the end and resources tend to go down. Did I farm or grind for anything? No. My suit was maxed and several weapons were maxed. If there's one complaint I have it's that this game may have been a bit easier than the previous two on normal difficulty. However, I'm not enoough of a masochist to try the extreme difficulties. Really I don't understand why people who haven't/didn't/won't play the game are complaining.
PowerCreep is offline  
post #46 of 48 Old 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
TonyDP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,937
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I finished the game today and overall I enjoyed it immensely. There is definitely more running and gunning in the latter levels but overall I still think it caught the Dead Space vibe and I give props to the developers for giving us a real ending and not another cliffhanger. Also, I was able to complete the game without having to spend a single penny on add-on content so all the fears and complaints about the microtransactions and the expected need for grinding were completely unfounded. Finishing the game unlocks a number of Game + features including a "Classic Mode" which plays even more like the original Dead Space - single player only, classic weapons only and classic aiming.

Lastly there were some complaints about the ending.... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
specifically that Clarke supposedly dies at the end. But if you sit thru the closing credits you will see (or rather hear) that he is still alive.

So overall a big thumbs up for me and glad I made the investment.
TonyDP is offline  
post #47 of 48 Old 02-20-2013, 03:17 AM
 
darklordjames's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 7,909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
http://www.questionsleep.com/mindspill/?p=2739

Great Dead Space comic by Jhonen Vasquez.
darklordjames is offline  
post #48 of 48 Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 PM
Member
 
techfreak191's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 102
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm a big DS fan all in all, and have finished both the previous ones at least 3 times!

ATM, I'm 45% into it, and I must say I am hooked. Just when I say to myself, OK... it's been nearly two hours... time to put down the controller and take a break.. I just can't seem to! wink.gif

Classic Dead Space goods all in all. Love it... although, I did notice how the first two ones had better greys and blacks in the darker environments....wait, I don't even think that's a complaint! cool.gif

Enjoy fellas, great games coming out as this generation draws to an end. smile.gif
techfreak191 is offline  
Reply Xbox Area

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off