best things of this gen. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 737
Well with this generation (seemingly) coming to a close, below is the list of my fav games this gen. Yes i did "cheat" by including multiple games in the same series and yes i am sure most people heavily disagree with my list but i am curious to what everyone else loved this generation...

10. rockband/GH - only reason this doesn't rank higher is because my love for this game actually started on PS2, but the amount of time i spent playing these games was pretty insane, along with this being the defining game that everyone (even people who refused to ever play video games) played.. Only disappointment was never being able to play Johnny B Goode like in back to the future.

9.IMGS - it's metal gear, i love these games, excellent game, great gameplay this could/should be higher...

8.Braid -One of the few games that actually brought something new to the table, puzzles were hard, but not frustrating. Ending was one of the best ever in a video game, some of the best platforming, really loved this game and honestly feel like this may be too low of a ranking.

7. Zelda- really like TP, but felt like SS was a little long and at one point felt like i was playing just to get to the end which is never a good thing, but with the negative aside the Zelda series is always fun to play

6. Uncharted - this was one of the only times i was really blow away by graphics, seeing drakes shirt get wet and the way water moved was pretty amazing, gameplay was pretty good (outside being able to snipe with pistols!). great series

5. Mario Galaxy - still best platforming game hands down. G2 was amazing and the level design was excellent

4. Socom Confrontation- The game wasn't supported well, had a ton of potential but never realized, had issues. So how does it rank at #4.. well i may have spent more time playing this game than any other of this generation, getting a bunch of friends together in the same game and very strategically planning an attack and having it all pan out was so satisfying. I loved the fact there was no regen health, guns actually had kick to them, you had to work as a team, the game modes weren't just TDM, etc.. even with all the issues, i just loved playing the game and kept coming back to it, which ultimately is what games are supposed to do..

3. Battlefield 2/1943/BC2/3 - another game that took teamwork, spent a ton of time playing these games also, although BF3 didn't hook me the way the other games did, it was a great generation of games for the BF series, really loved playing these games and was really surprised at how fun Rush on BC2 was..

2. Mass Effect - I was in the minority when i say i wished they would have kept the game more like ME1, really liked more of the RPG element to it, but this was an engrossing series anyways. Great story, good gameplay, good level design, worst ending i have ever played in my life...

1. Orange box/portal - I bought this strictly for HL2 and loved playing through it and still waiting for the next installment. When i saw the trailer for Portal, i thought it looked stupid, i mean a first person puzzle game, that sounds stupid. But since it was included on the disc i figured i would try it for 5 minutes. Wake up in the cell with a weird voice talking to me, then i get through the first couple of puzzles and the humor is on par with Monkey Island games (which is a huge compliment), then the puzzles get harder, but shockingly never too hard. It is the perfect mix of difficultly, but never so hard i want to quit. Then an hour passes and i can't stop playing. I have not been so drawn into a game in years, then i get to the end and there is a song, i just listen to every word and then it is over and i just sit there, blown away by a great game. Sure other games are longer, better graphics and even portal2 is considered by most to be "better", but there is nothing like "the first time". Although there were numerous games i loved this gen, nothing engrossed me more, made me laugh more and surprised me more than portal...

Honorable mention: Shadow complex, Alan Wake, Infamous

Worst of this gen: Unrealized potential of the Wii, No Kingdom Hearts 3 or Jax and dexter, AVS PS3 members calling me a xbox fanboy and AVS Xbox members calling me a PS3 fanboy (basically console fanboys in general..)

biggest frustration: buying new xbox, not having it work, fighting with MS about it, even after sending it in to MS a couple of years later getting RRoD and having to buy another one.. ridiculous considering my intellivison still works..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 09:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 68
So hard to pull all of the different games together from what was a long cycle of this console. But, for me, my high/low lights (in no order and grouped together) are -

The Good:

Halo - Really enjoyed the stories in each of H3, Reach, and H4 and like the direction that they are going with the series. Wasn't really a fan of online until H4. But, I thought they have been all enjoyable games and class of the Xbox.

COD - Primarily 4 and MW2. I don't think you can have a top 10 list of Xbox 360 and not include 4. It changed the game. MW2 was a bolt on to that and from there I have just lost interest.

Dead Space - I really enjoyed DS1 and liked the uniqueness of it's game play. The story was good, it felt different, it was concise and tight with a good amount of difficulty.

BF-series - Just awesome. There are three experiences in gaming where I look back and just loved. WWII Fighters, MOHAA, and BF:BC2. Just a great experience and I think I put weeks into that games and enjoyed every minute of it.

The Walking Dead - Part game, part movie. Combined with what is great IP, I thought they did a wonderful job of getting me interested in characters and then killing them...

Heavy Rain - Love the story in this one and the way that it plays. It presents a different style of gaming that I enjoyed and would pop in when I didn't want to play an FPS.

Fallout 3 - Such a great world. I started playing after the DLC was released, so didn't have to worry about the ending, but overall really enjoyed this game from the 50ish style of the environments to the way that they handled combat. Great IP.

Batman:AA - Superhero combat done right! It's the only game that I finished everything that I could and still wanted to play it.

And it also plays games - Netflix, VUDU, music, Amazon Prime, MLB.tv etc, etc, etc. I find it pretty nice that the consoles are also moving into being more of the home entertainment center. I don't think that any of them have it perfect yet, but so far having apps in addition to playing games is a good thing.

The Bad:

- The yearly subscription model - COD really is the big hitter here, but more and more games are trying to not only go to annual releases, but also getting you to subscribe to map packs and other DLC.

- DLC - There really wasn't DLC at the start of the Xbox and we have seen it move now to where publishers are acknowledging that they make more money off DLC than the actual game. As a gamer, I'm fearful of what this means for next gen.

- EA - Yes, they are easy to hate on, but to me, they are everything that is wrong with the direction of where gaming is headed. From the micro transaction system to the hand holding that they build into their games to attract casuals...

P2P gaming - By now, I expect that every game should have dedicated servers. Nothing is more frustrating than having to deal with host advantage..

Others:

Mass Effect - I played them all and thought that they increasingly got worse. From the grinding to the simplification of the RPG elements, I just felt like they went from being unique into a clone of a FPS. If I ever see the Mako again.....

Salminella has become legend (or something like that): PSN
Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

ohhh forgot about Fallout 3 that should have been in my top 10..
Old 02-08-2013, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
One game that I absolutely loved was Rainbow Six Vegas. Even Vegas 2 was awesome. I also enjoyed the Gears series and Halo. I have to agree with The Walking Dead. I was kind of skeptical at first, but when the story was finished I was amazed at how well they did it. There are just too many things to pick out though, this has easily been my favorite generation so far.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

Old 02-12-2013, 02:37 AM

Liked: 12
Rainbow six vegas one and two were the best games ever, followed by gears and lastly halo. I can't wait for Rainbow six Patriots to come out but that will probably be released when the new gen console is

Xbox Live- RumRiverKiller
HT Room- Samsung 550 64" Plasma, Tivo XL, Marantz SR-14 EX , BP3000TLs, CLR3000, BP2002 sides, Logitech 700
Music Room- Samsung 650 46" LCD, Tivo, Pioneer VSX-1120K , Canton GLE 409s, small cheap sub, Logitech 650
Garage- Kenwood VR606, Original Large Avents
Old 02-12-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Yeah it's crazy to me this gen is so old now that games like GRAW and R6V feel like they were forever ago. I put a lot of fun MP hours into those ones and had a really great time but it feels so long ago now.

My list is kind of boring since I clearly like the big "hits" and really I only play shooters: Gears, GRAW, R6, Call of Duty (in particular MW3, then BLOPS1 and BLOPS2). Even I will say Halo. I don't play Halo really but when Halo 3 came out me and my friends all bought it and for about a month or two we had a lot of fun with it. I know for a lot of people Halo on 360 was like the meaning of life for a while there ha ha. Oh, one more: Shadowrun. Almost no one agrees with me on it but I played that game non-stop for like 1.5 years every day and it was always awesome MP. I think even TODAY you can find 1 or 2 rooms going on it just about any day of the week. There's some die hards.

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

Old 02-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Yrd
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked: 192
My highlights are mostly played on PC but they are on XBOX too. No particular order.

Borderlands 1/2
Rocksmith - most of you guys don't care but I've spent about 300 hours between my xbox and pc version playing my guitar and bass. It's been more motivational in practicing than anything else I've ever tried.
Deadspace 1 and some aspects of 2.
Mass effect 1
Dark Souls - I'm late to this game but I love it. Automatic sale on the next game.
Batman AA and AC
GTA 4
Uncharted series. Not a huge fan of 3, I think they should have waited longer to release it. For me personally, it wasn't so long after 2 was released. Kind of burnt out on it I guess. Nothing wrong with the game though.
Bioshock
Street Fighter 4

Oh since people are adding the bad ones, my biggest gripe this gen is Motion gaming. DIE already. That and 3D, DIAF nao.

XBL Gamertag- Yrd
PSN - Yerd

Steam - Yrd

Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked: 1463
Too many good games to list but there were some amazing trends:

-Smaller downloadable games, instead of every good idea being padded with filler forced into a $60 release
-DLC to extend the life of excellent games
-Online gaming....sure, it existed before, but this gen it really took off. XBL is a little ahead feature wise (cross game parties), but PSN gets the job done. Also, PS plus (since last e3) is the best thing to happen to gaming in the last 3-4 years.

Overall though, the best thing to happen IMO is just having SO MANY good games. Genres that had all but died are back (point and click adventures). Shmups are back. Even JRPGs are back. There's more FPS games than anyone could possibly want. Some of the motion games were truly brilliant (Wii sports, wario ware) If you can't find something you want to play you're just not looking hard enough.

Best gen ever.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
Old 02-12-2013, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Here are some of my favorites this gen:

Crackdown - Can't believe this game was out in February 2007. Before Halo 3. Yet, here it is, at the top of my list.

Fallout 3 - I'm not going to even get started on Fallout 3. nuff respect.

Bioshock - What a great ride!

Uncharted - Indiana Jones meets Tomb Raider

NBA 2K Series - excellent basketball games during this gen

Fifa series - excellect soccer games during this gen

Wipeout HD - Tour De Force of sounds and visuals from this PSN game

Oblivion & Skyrim - I'm not into dragons and orcs as much as the fallout world, but still amazing games.

Dead Space - original game was truly a classic

Infamous - Not the best game of all time, but still quite an acomplishment

Assassin's Creed - I enjoyed the original,and have been playing the second, but I'm way behind on the rest of them.

Motorstorm - I played the Japanese import of this game when it came out December 2006 ( about 5 months before the US version). I was totally addicted to this game
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 32
Super Street Fighter IV - I can go a year without playing this, pop it in, and be sucked in. I own it on everything (PC, 3DS, PS3, 360).

Burnout Paradise - I didn't like this when I first tried it, but a few years later after all the DLC and this game was ridiculously fun with so much content. I actually bought it on PC with the intentions of playing through it again but the screwed up and missing DLC stopped that. Very disappointing.

Just Cause 2 - probably my favorite open world game. I loved Crackdown too, but this game was even bigger and crazier.

Skate 2 - I never got into the Tony Hawk games much but I really liked this game's controls and challenge level.

Donkey Kong Country Returns - Unlike most 2D games that are coming out these days, this one plays like an evolution of 16-bit titles. It's amazingly good.

Project Gotham Racing 4 - This game was and is excellent. Great graphics, awesome tracks and settings, and interesting challenges.

Gears of War - I beat this on Insane by myself and it was incredibly good. The sequels didn't come close. #3 was a disaster.

Mass Effect 2 - other than the lack of Citadel and some sketchy DLC (everything but LotSB), I really enjoyed this game and what EA did with it.

Batman Arkham City - I wasn't crazy about Asylum, but I really enjoyed this game. Better fighting and a more open structure.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 - I play BF3 on PC and 64-players and a huge sense of scale is awesome. But I will say I think I like BC2 the best. I wasn't crazy about Vietnam but the destructability and gameplay of the base game was great.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:46 PM

Liked: 17
I've got to give it up for all the Arcade stuff that's come out this gen:

Bastion, Super Meat Boy, Fez, Mark of the Ninja, Journey (and Flower too), PuzzleQuest, Toy Soldiers, and plenty more. So many fun and quirky titles to get lost in and have fun with.

Also, Red Dead Redemption is my favorite game of this gen. So gorgeous, epic, fun, deep, like you could never run out of things to do. The only Rockstar game I completed to 100% because I couldn't get enough.

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
Old 02-14-2013, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
All Classics or Under Appreciated:

Batman Arkham Asylum and City

Battlefield 3 (multiplayer only...)

Bayonetta

BioShock

Call of Duty 4 (single player!!!)

Call of Duty: Black Ops

Dead Space (best game of this generation)

Gears of War 1, 2 and 3 !

Grand Theft Auto IV (second best game of this generation)

Fallout 3 (really like another world)

Halo: Reach

L.A. Noire (very ambitious)

Mass Effect 2

Max Payne 3 (best in series)

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit

Red Dead Revolver (mind blowing)

potential contenders---

Bioshock Infinite

Crysis 3

Grand Theft Auto V
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Vanquish
Dark Souls
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Nier
Amalur Reckoning
Xcom Enemy Unknown
Fez
Binary Domain
Spec Ops The Line
Old 02-16-2013, 09:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 37
In no particular order:

Mirror's Edge
Assassin's Creed
Vanquish (cheers, darthrsg!)
Portal
Rayman Origins

And from the other side of the fence:
Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 2
Everyday Shooter

PSN & XBL ID: drop me a private message
Old 02-16-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman View Post

In no particular order:

Mirror's Edge
Assassin's Creed
Portal
Rayman Origins

Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 2

That game is so fun just from a mechanics side. Not nearly enough people played it.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg View Post

That game is so fun just from a mechanics side. Not nearly enough people played it.
Yup. If Mikami's RE4 was the inspiration for this generation's cover-based shooters, then Mikami's Vanquish completed the circle.

Old 02-16-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yup. If Mikami's RE4 was the inspiration for this generation's cover-based shooters, then Mikami's Vanquish completed the circle.

Picking apart the enemies was a huge reason I loved Binary Domain so much. It's a bit Vanquish a bit Gears and MGS.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 566
Vanquish was a ton of fun. Proof that good mechanics can make up for nonexistent story and wooden characters (looking at you every-call-of-duty-after-4). I would like to also nominate spec ops the line: proof that entertaining narrative can make up for shoddy mechanics.

Some of my faves:
Mirror's Edge. 1st person platformer? It shouldn't work but it does.
Dead Space. This franchise has squandered some good opportunities and the jury is still out on the latest sequel (I'll let you know soon) but this game deserves some credit for carrying the torch of action horror.
Halo (all of them). What else can you say really?
Cod4. Even though you created a monster I still love you-- best use of FPS story telling since half life and it's sequel.
Speaking of... Half life 2 and it's semi-spin offs: portal and portal 2. God dam I love these games. Note to valve: left4dead was fun and all but now give us HL3 please!
Arcade games: shadow complex, braid, limbo, geometry wars, castle crashers, twisted shadow planet, n+, etc... More fun than most of the AAA titles at a fraction of the cost! Plus braid is only the second game I've ever played that should be considered art... The first was shadow of the colossas and the third I'll name later.
Batman Arkham asylum/city. Holy Jesus someone made a good batman game!

And from the other side of the fence...
Uncharted. All of them but especially amongst thieves-- holy Jesus someone finally made a good Indiana jones game... Wait--what?
God of war 3. Because.
Finally: journey. The third game I've considered to be art. Simply stunning.

PS: one more! Prince of Persia 2008. Y u no make sequel Ubisoft?

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-16-2013, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 75
When I think of my favorite experiences for pswii60...

Favorites:

Rock Band
Mario Kart Wii
NSMBWii
Valkyria Chronicles
Metal Gear Solid 4
Battlefield 1943, bad company, bad company 2, 3
Tropico 4
Tales of Vesperia
Hot Shots Golf
Arkam Asylum

Probably some others but those were my major time-sucks
Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Lots of good stuff this gen. One of the best for me was undoubtedly Wii Sports. Having 3 generations bowling together on the projector screen was unforgettable and not something I'll probably see from any other console game.

Favorites:

Red Dead Redemption - probably my favorite. Great story, mechanics, atmosphere, and a lot to do.

Gears of War - got me back into multiplayer gaming with the first one. I hadn't bothered since the old days with Duke Nukem 3d, Quake, etc. Well other than NFL2k a few times on the dreamcast.

Honorable mentions:
Cod4
Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Uncharted Series
Fallout 3
Assassin's Creeds
Rainbow Six Vegas
Xenoblade Chronicles
Journey

The bad:

Generation went on too long.
Shoddy hardware - I've had two xbox's and one PS3 go out.
Live Gold - it was a much smoother experience than psn, but paying for it felt wrong after a while. I don't use any of the services other than to play online and that's free everywhere else.
DLC - so much crappy dlc. It seemed like a good idea, when I thought it would be more like expansion packs of old.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:58 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami View Post

Well with this generation (seemingly) coming to a close, below is the list of my fav games this gen. Yes i did "cheat" by including multiple games in the same series and yes i am sure most people heavily disagree with my list but i am curious to what everyone else loved this generation...

10. rockband/GH - only reason this doesn't rank higher is because my love for this game actually started on PS2, but the amount of time i spent playing these games was pretty insane, along with this being the defining game that everyone (even people who refused to ever play video games) played.. Only disappointment was never being able to play Johnny B Goode like in back to the future.

9.IMGS - it's metal gear, i love these games, excellent game, great gameplay this could/should be higher...

8.Braid -One of the few games that actually brought something new to the table, puzzles were hard, but not frustrating. Ending was one of the best ever in a video game, some of the best platforming, really loved this game and honestly feel like this may be too low of a ranking.

7. Zelda- really like TP, but felt like SS was a little long and at one point felt like i was playing just to get to the end which is never a good thing, but with the negative aside the Zelda series is always fun to play

6. Uncharted - this was one of the only times i was really blow away by graphics, seeing drakes shirt get wet and the way water moved was pretty amazing, gameplay was pretty good (outside being able to snipe with pistols!). great series

5. Mario Galaxy - still best platforming game hands down. G2 was amazing and the level design was excellent

4. Socom Confrontation- The game wasn't supported well, had a ton of potential but never realized, had issues. So how does it rank at #4.. well i may have spent more time playing this game than any other of this generation, getting a bunch of friends together in the same game and very strategically planning an attack and having it all pan out was so satisfying. I loved the fact there was no regen health, guns actually had kick to them, you had to work as a team, the game modes weren't just TDM, etc.. even with all the issues, i just loved playing the game and kept coming back to it, which ultimately is what games are supposed to do..

3. Battlefield 2/1943/BC2/3 - another game that took teamwork, spent a ton of time playing these games also, although BF3 didn't hook me the way the other games did, it was a great generation of games for the BF series, really loved playing these games and was really surprised at how fun Rush on BC2 was..

2. Mass Effect - I was in the minority when i say i wished they would have kept the game more like ME1, really liked more of the RPG element to it, but this was an engrossing series anyways. Great story, good gameplay, good level design, worst ending i have ever played in my life...

1. Orange box/portal - I bought this strictly for HL2 and loved playing through it and still waiting for the next installment. When i saw the trailer for Portal, i thought it looked stupid, i mean a first person puzzle game, that sounds stupid. But since it was included on the disc i figured i would try it for 5 minutes. Wake up in the cell with a weird voice talking to me, then i get through the first couple of puzzles and the humor is on par with Monkey Island games (which is a huge compliment), then the puzzles get harder, but shockingly never too hard. It is the perfect mix of difficultly, but never so hard i want to quit. Then an hour passes and i can't stop playing. I have not been so drawn into a game in years, then i get to the end and there is a song, i just listen to every word and then it is over and i just sit there, blown away by a great game. Sure other games are longer, better graphics and even portal2 is considered by most to be "better", but there is nothing like "the first time". Although there were numerous games i loved this gen, nothing engrossed me more, made me laugh more and surprised me more than portal...

Honorable mention: Shadow complex, Alan Wake, Infamous

Worst of this gen: Unrealized potential of the Wii, No Kingdom Hearts 3 or Jax and dexter, AVS PS3 members calling me a xbox fanboy and AVS Xbox members calling me a PS3 fanboy (basically console fanboys in general..)

biggest frustration: buying new xbox, not having it work, fighting with MS about it, even after sending it in to MS a couple of years later getting RRoD and having to buy another one.. ridiculous considering my intellivison still works..

Can't believe you didn't mention the GOW games! Shame on your OP!!

I have been high on this gen since 2006! Absolutely loved it. Only let down is devs releasing DLC. I think all that stuff should be included up front, or they should at least consider releasing it on DVD or USB. Some of us just don't do Xbox Live.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

never got into GOW!!
Old 02-16-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 566
First gears of war was a lot of fun-- excellent co-op gameplay and the atmosphere/environment was so original for the time... And then gears 2 came out and the series lost-- I don't know, SOMETHING. Sure horde mode was a blast but that game failed at recreated the sense of danger and dread the first game was able to deliver. In gears 1 you constantly feel like you're just one step away from death at any moment-- like your team is constantly in peril.

"For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love."

--Carl Sagan
Old 02-17-2013, 12:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Mirror's Edge. 1st person platformer? It shouldn't work but it does.
Sooo good. The time trials really brought this all together for me. The mechanics were tuned so tightly. I've replayed this probably more than any other game this generation, and I've never played a game that captured athleticism so well. Not even in sports games.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Vanquish
Dark Souls
Castlevania Lords of Shadow
Nier
Amalur Reckoning
Xcom Enemy Unknown
Fez
Binary Domain
Spec Ops The Line

Quote:

In no particular order:

Mirror's Edge
Assassin's Creed
Portal
Rayman Origins

Gran Turismo 5
Uncharted 2
Everyday Shooter

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post

Vanquish was a ton of fun.

I guess I need to play and finish Vanquish, I only did the training.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

Sooo good. The time trials really brought this all together for me. The mechanics were tuned so tightly. I've replayed this probably more than any other game this generation, and I've never played a game that captured athleticism so well. Not even in sports games.

Just ordered this one based on your folks comments since I had never heard of it before.

That is why I like threads like these, I am able to find some games I have never heard of and since most of them are a few years old they can be had at a good price.

James
Old 02-17-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Just ordered this one based on your folks comments since I had never heard of it before.

That is why I like threads like these, I am able to find some games I have never heard of and since most of them are a few years old they can be had at a good price.

James

It's weird to me that you haven't heard of Mirror's Edge. They marketed it to heck and back.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

It's weird to me that you haven't heard of Mirror's Edge. They marketed it to heck and back.

Maybe weird but I do not recall ever hearing of it until reading the thread, what can I say. Since it came out a few years ago maybe I did see something about it but not enough to make me want to get it who the heck knows.

James
Old 02-17-2013, 04:32 PM

Liked: 10
Well as far as best thing is concerned it would be high definition graphics which still do not look as dated after 7 years as PS2's graphics did in 2005.

Worst thing is still DLC where istead of launching a game as a full release now it is customary to release a game piecemeal in isntalmments and call it 'add-on DLC'. I still have same opinion abut DLC as in 2006 (from Oblivion thread).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhoniel Kase View Post

This game is released less than 45 days ago and now there is already 'extra' content available like horse armor, Orrery room and Wizard's Tower. You cannot open that Orrery room unless you pay for an add on. Clearly all of these 'add ons' were developed with the original game and were held back to be sold separately. I have to say that it is like setting a dangerous precedent for other developers to hold back the game features and then sell these as separate 'add ons'.

Its just simple as the principle of demand and supply. If we create the demand for such game features by paying for it, then we'll see more of these features marketed as extras rather than being part of original game.

End of the rant.

Rhoniel
Old 02-17-2013, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by exojam View Post

Maybe weird but I do not recall ever hearing of it until reading the thread, what can I say. Since it came out a few years ago maybe I did see something about it but not enough to make me want to get it who the heck knows.

James
It got quite a critical backlash on its release and underperformed at retail, so I can understand how it slipped under your radar.

But it's become something of a cult favorite over the years with a very dedicated fanbase that still regularly plays it. I just repurchased it for my new PC. Still an outstanding game. You'll have to forgive some of its storytelling clumsiness, though. But the mechanics and level design are unmatched this generation IMO. Learning the skills in this game is just the beginning. It's when you start learning to combine those skills and put them to new uses that it really becomes something special. That's why the time trials are so good. They force you to rethink what you know and what's possible with the skill set.

And for me, as a physically active person with a technical mind, I've never experienced a game that so convincingly reflects the feeling of learning a complete physical discipline.