Originally Posted by benjamin-benjami
Well with this generation (seemingly) coming to a close, below is the list of my fav games this gen. Yes i did "cheat" by including multiple games in the same series and yes i am sure most people heavily disagree with my list but i am curious to what everyone else loved this generation...
10. rockband/GH - only reason this doesn't rank higher is because my love for this game actually started on PS2, but the amount of time i spent playing these games was pretty insane, along with this being the defining game that everyone (even people who refused to ever play video games) played.. Only disappointment was never being able to play Johnny B Goode like in back to the future.
9.IMGS - it's metal gear, i love these games, excellent game, great gameplay this could/should be higher...
8.Braid -One of the few games that actually brought something new to the table, puzzles were hard, but not frustrating. Ending was one of the best ever in a video game, some of the best platforming, really loved this game and honestly feel like this may be too low of a ranking.
7. Zelda- really like TP, but felt like SS was a little long and at one point felt like i was playing just to get to the end which is never a good thing, but with the negative aside the Zelda series is always fun to play
6. Uncharted - this was one of the only times i was really blow away by graphics, seeing drakes shirt get wet and the way water moved was pretty amazing, gameplay was pretty good (outside being able to snipe with pistols!). great series
5. Mario Galaxy - still best platforming game hands down. G2 was amazing and the level design was excellent
4. Socom Confrontation- The game wasn't supported well, had a ton of potential but never realized, had issues. So how does it rank at #4.. well i may have spent more time playing this game than any other of this generation, getting a bunch of friends together in the same game and very strategically planning an attack and having it all pan out was so satisfying. I loved the fact there was no regen health, guns actually had kick to them, you had to work as a team, the game modes weren't just TDM, etc.. even with all the issues, i just loved playing the game and kept coming back to it, which ultimately is what games are supposed to do..
3. Battlefield 2/1943/BC2/3 - another game that took teamwork, spent a ton of time playing these games also, although BF3 didn't hook me the way the other games did, it was a great generation of games for the BF series, really loved playing these games and was really surprised at how fun Rush on BC2 was..
2. Mass Effect - I was in the minority when i say i wished they would have kept the game more like ME1, really liked more of the RPG element to it, but this was an engrossing series anyways. Great story, good gameplay, good level design, worst ending i have ever played in my life...
1. Orange box/portal - I bought this strictly for HL2 and loved playing through it and still waiting for the next installment. When i saw the trailer for Portal, i thought it looked stupid, i mean a first person puzzle game, that sounds stupid. But since it was included on the disc i figured i would try it for 5 minutes. Wake up in the cell with a weird voice talking to me, then i get through the first couple of puzzles and the humor is on par with Monkey Island games (which is a huge compliment), then the puzzles get harder, but shockingly never too hard. It is the perfect mix of difficultly, but never so hard i want to quit. Then an hour passes and i can't stop playing. I have not been so drawn into a game in years, then i get to the end and there is a song, i just listen to every word and then it is over and i just sit there, blown away by a great game. Sure other games are longer, better graphics and even portal2 is considered by most to be "better", but there is nothing like "the first time". Although there were numerous games i loved this gen, nothing engrossed me more, made me laugh more and surprised me more than portal...
Honorable mention: Shadow complex, Alan Wake, Infamous
Worst of this gen: Unrealized potential of the Wii, No Kingdom Hearts 3 or Jax and dexter, AVS PS3 members calling me a xbox fanboy and AVS Xbox members calling me a PS3 fanboy (basically console fanboys in general..)
biggest frustration: buying new xbox, not having it work, fighting with MS about it, even after sending it in to MS a couple of years later getting RRoD and having to buy another one.. ridiculous considering my intellivison still works..