Gaming on 4G LTE - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked: 264
I've searched the old Googles a bit, and I've tried searching here as well (better luck with Google generally biggrin.gif), and I've found mixed results regarding gaming on 4G LTE. Does anyone here do this regularly?

The local cable provider stopped outside our subdivision, and it's going to cost a LOT to have them bring in cable an internet (I'd pretty well need to win the lottery for it to happen!). I'm looking at options, and LTE seems viable. The pings from my phone average around 70 ms which should be good enough, right?

Dude, are you made of leprechauns? Cause that was awesome!

The Plains Theater Has Begun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I got higher data speeds on my 4G LTE running speedtest and I get from my Crapcast cable connection. Never tried gaming on it but I would imagine it is possible. What is your data capped at though? Most companies have a cap now that can be expensive to exceed.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I think we're on a 10 Gb plan, but from what I've read the bandwidth required to game is pretty low (75 Mb per hour on the high end). That should be plenty for me to game on, and we already have satellite broadband for everything else. From what I understand, it really boils down to ping times and jitter (again, ping times).

I guess I could grow a pair and jailbreak my iPhone smile.gif

post #4 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

I've searched the old Googles a bit, and I've tried searching here as well (better luck with Google generally biggrin.gif), and I've found mixed results regarding gaming on 4G LTE. Does anyone here do this regularly?

The local cable provider stopped outside our subdivision, and it's going to cost a LOT to have them bring in cable an internet (I'd pretty well need to win the lottery for it to happen!). I'm looking at options, and LTE seems viable. The pings from my phone average around 70 ms which should be good enough, right?

I've played Blops 2 on it several times using my phone as a wireless hotspot. My 'normal' connection is a 3 MB DSL line. The upside is that it's plenty fast and generally pings were fine even for me, where pings were 90-100+. The biggest thing I would say is that it's consistent. You seem to get the same connection no matter who you're playing with. For me, that's a good thing because my connection goes from terrible to mediocre. The downside is that your connection type will be locked at moderate unless you use their HomeFusion service which supposedly gets you a public IP address. Frankly, I'm not sure there's really any advantage to having an open connection. It's supposed to allow quicker/better matchmaking but I noticed little or no difference.

Anyway, if you don't have access to anything else I think it's a good alternative. Note that unless you have Sprint (which I haven't tested) you'll pay more for the service because you'll need something with a high data cap. Verizon's HomeFusion service starts at $60 per month for 10 GB, or you can add it to a 10 GB+ existing plan for $20 per month. I'm assuming you'd use this for more than JUST gaming, but I found that Blops 2 used ~35 MB per hour. At 2 hours per day that's a bit over 2 GB just for gaming.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #5 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbexperience View Post

I've played Blops 2 on it several times using my phone as a wireless hotspot. My 'normal' connection is a 3 MB DSL line. The upside is that it's plenty fast and generally pings were fine even for me, where pings were 90-100+. The biggest thing I would say is that it's consistent. You seem to get the same connection no matter who you're playing with. For me, that's a good thing because my connection goes from terrible to mediocre. The downside is that your connection type will be locked at moderate unless you use they're HomeFusion service which supposedly gets you a public IP address. Frankly, I'm not sure there's really any advantage to having an open connection. Supposedly it's supposed to allow quicker/better matchmaking but I noticed little or no difference.

Anyway, if you don't have access to anything else I think it's a good alternative. Note that unless you have Sprint (which I haven't tested) you'll pay more for the service because you'll need something with a high data cap. Verizon's HomeFusion service starts at $60 per month for 10 GB, or you can add it to a 10 GB+ existing plan for $20 per month. I'm assuming you'd use this for more than JUST gaming, but I found that Blops 2 used ~35 MB per hour. At 2 hours per day that's a bit over 2 GB just for gaming.

Good info! ATT has DSL in the area, but they've capped the number of users. The last person I talked to said someone would have to die before they added anyone else because the people already on it are complaining about speeds. I don't care about the speed, I just need low pings.

We're locked into a 2 year contract with our satellite provider, so if I added an LTE service for the house it would be just for gaming. This sounds like a viable option. I wish I could test it out before I took the plunge.

post #6 of 14 Old 02-22-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Yeah, it would be ideal if you could try it first since speeds and results will vary based on how far you are from a tower, etc. I can tell you that I'm confident it would work. I game in a room in the basement of my house and it was very playable through the phone. I have given serious consideration to their HomeFusion product, especially if it does give you a public IP so that I could get a consistent open connection. For me, the $60/month is too steep, but I have the DSL available. I think if I didn't have that option it would be a no-brainer for me.

Read. Think. Post. In that order, preferably

"If the Playstation and Xbox are like the Bloods and the Crips, then the Wii is whatever gang Sha Na Na was in" - Christian Finnegan
post #7 of 14 Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

As an update, I've been checking ping times since yesterday, and the worst I've seen is 97 ms. The average is less that 70 ms, and I've even seen some sub 60 ms pings as well.

post #8 of 14 Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 AM

Liked: 10
your math is completely wrong sir...sorry to say...here in canada our service providers offer great detail on how much usage you use while using certain programs or in this case consoles. Xbox 360 generally gets around 158 hours of gameplay per gig used(depending on the gametype) shooters use the least, and i have tested this many times as my isp (22mbs down 2 up) goes out alot here and i get bad packet loss so i use my 4g(lte) to play blops 2 which allows you to also avoid the in-game lag compensation and buffer bloat...i hope this helps anyone (oo and fyi 70ms ping is perfect for gaming exp shooter anymore and they would force a 200 ms lag compensation on you. google it
post #9 of 14 Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 AM

Liked: 832
NO
post #10 of 14 Old 05-10-2013, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My ping have dropped to 100-110ms most of the time in case anyone is looking for data points.

post #11 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked: 11
I tether using my Sprint 4G and its not even LTE, and its still very consistent. I could imagine 4G LTE would probably be faster.
post #12 of 14 Old 05-24-2013, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

What sort if pings are you seeing? Are you gaming on that connection?

post #13 of 14 Old 05-30-2013, 04:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_P_A View Post

What sort if pings are you seeing? Are you gaming on that connection?

With 4G, I can get around 50-100ms, but it's usually steady around 50-70ms.

With LTE, I can get ping around 30-60ms, but it really depends on the time of day sometimes. I'm pretty sure Verizon LTE would be faster than Sprint at the moment.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I've played Borderlands co-op for an hour on a 3g blackberry with no problems while doing voice chat, I can't remember the mb count, but it was so small it was nothing to worry about on my plan.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page