post #151 of 163 Old 02-23-2014, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

I still think the QTE are more obnoxious on this game then they were on Ryse. Either way I loved both games.

yeah, the QTE windows are tiny in Tomb Raider and they bring up why people hate QTE. because you invariably have to die at least once which kind of sucks for pacing. You can't anticipate it like with normal game mechanics. At least they're forgiving in that if you died because you didn't hit Y in time, the next time it will 100% be Y. If they randomly chose a button but kept the tight windows, people would go crazy. This Tomb Raider is like the modern Dragon's Lair.

In Ryse, the QTEs only come into play when you enter execution mode but if you totally botch the QTE, all it means is that you blow the combo and you can't build to a higher consecutive count. But it doesn't stop the game and make you restart the level like Tomb Raider does. I haven't played Ryse on Legendary. Maybe the QTE windows are smaller in Legendary mode.

And Tomb Raider has a lot of the cheesy QTE-like motions as well. Like when Lara was climbing the mountain and you're tapping the triggers back and forth. I never liked the mechanic like to tap the X button repeatedly for Lara to turn a wheel. Yeah, other games have to do this because there are limitations to a game controller but I never liked it. If they implemented something like Fable the Journey where you're using your hand to turn a knob or lift a door, it'd be better. keep the twitch mechanics to the sticks. But convert these spamming X maneuvers to more natural motions. I think if anything, maybe twirl the stick in a circular motion would make more sense if you don't want to go the gestural route.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 163 Old 02-23-2014, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I loved the game. Best game so far graphically beats ryse. Ryse was even more linear than tombraider.
post #153 of 163 Old 02-23-2014, 03:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

okay, about an hour and a half into the game... it does look beautiful. well, except for the very poor facial animations of the NPCs during cutscenes. as uncanny valley as you can get. it's like you see a static face with a moving jaw..

but the actual game mechanics are not that great. I'm giving it a tentativepass until I level up. I suppose that's why the combat feels bad so far because I only have a couple skill points. So far, it's more poor interactive movie than game. This game is as linear as linear gets. It's nice it has Tomb Raider puzzles even if a bit simpler than the puzzles of the original games.

so far, what's getting me coming back is how great the game looks.

as far as Xbox One specifics... I didn't read in any articles about Kinect specifics (surprise surprise). some scenes, you can lean your body to adjust the camera angle. So lean left and the camera pans. The game uses the open hand/close hand system for holding and rotating objects. Voice commands are voice commands.

yeah, give it a little longer. i can understand the interactive movie comparison. thats fair. its a lot like Uncharted, but with some rpg elements with the weapons and skills.

One thing i dont get though:
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The whole Hunter Skills and hunting aspect. Once your out of that first forest/jungle area where you get your bow, there isnt really any area where you can hunt and there isnt much incentive to do so when you do see a random animal.

i am enjoying the game a lot and it does have fantastic graphics, although you can tell its a last gen game at its core. definitely a must play

Xbox One Gamertag = The Barbeerian

PS4 PSNID = The-Barbeerian
post #154 of 163 Old 02-23-2014, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 230
If you're trying to max out your skills, hunting does give you a decent amount of xp. There's one area at the edge of shanty town where the animals just kept respawning, and I gained a lot of easy xp there.

@onlysublime the game starts out a bit slow, but it gets better and better as you acquire new weapons, skills, etc.
post #155 of 163 Old 02-24-2014, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaville View Post

If you're trying to max out your skills, hunting does give you a decent amount of xp. There's one area at the edge of shanty town where the animals just kept respawning, and I gained a lot of easy xp there.

@onlysublime the game starts out a bit slow, but it gets better and better as you acquire new weapons, skills, etc.

There are plenty of rats in caves. Easy xp there. Use the pistol.
post #156 of 163 Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Well I keep playing this because it is mildly entertaining. However, I keep expecting that something deeper is just around the corner but it never is. The puzzles are too simple and token in nature. The game overall reminds me of a series of Michael Bay action sequences, including obligatory slow-mo, strung together by exhausting and cludgy combat interludes such that when the latter ends at least the former yields some sense of relief.

This game boils down to:

Cinematic where Laura survives impossible explosion, crash or 30 meter fall (or engages in mediocre dialogue sequence).
Mash a button repeatedly to open a gate, turn a wheel, or whatever.
12-20 dumb enemies charge and throw grenades through and around cover and over buildings.
Scale a wall with a climbing pick or free climb a building.
Action sequence running over a falling bridge or sliding through a terrain feature (sometimes with QTE).
Receive skill upgrade that isn't really necessary to kill the aforementioned enemies.
Rinse and repeat.

The graphics are good, the sound is excellent but the story is a B movie script with summer blockbuster packaging. I don't understand how this game was so highly rated. I place this game strongly in the rental category.
post #157 of 163 Old 03-02-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Well, I finished this last night and I'm still not that impressed. Overall a very mediocre game IMO.
post #158 of 163 Old 03-02-2014, 05:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

Well, I finished this last night and I'm still not that impressed. Overall a very mediocre game IMO.

What? I really loved this game.
post #159 of 163 Old 03-02-2014, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.kingsley View Post

I'm further into the game than before. At least now I'm stealth killing and shooting more arrows. The game hasn't impressed me yet from a gameplay standpoint. But it still is early. I'm only a couple hours into the game. Man, it's taking a long time for the game to pick up. the most impressive have been the cool cinematography for some of the cutscenes. like when Lara is climbing in the crevasse and you see the camera zoom in on her and you get a nice closeup view... tongue.gif
post #160 of 163 Old 03-02-2014, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbe View Post

There are plenty of rats in caves. Easy xp there. Use the pistol.

is ammo scarce? I've been using ammo/arrows as sparingly as possible. I don't want to waste ammo just to raise xp.
post #161 of 163 Old 03-03-2014, 12:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlysublime View Post

is ammo scarce? I've been using ammo/arrows as sparingly as possible. I don't want to waste ammo just to raise xp.

There is ammo all over the place. Arrows are out in the open and other ammo is in containers spread all thru the island. You will never be short of ammo except in a rare circumstance. Then use melee and you'll get the victims ammo. Just remember to use the left bumper and it will highlight ammo, weapons, wildlife & enemies.
post #162 of 163 Old 03-03-2014, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

okay, I'll be a little less stingy with ammo.

is there melee? Lara seems pretty weak.
post #163 of 163 Old 03-03-2014, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 230
At some point you unlock the ability to melee with her pick.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page