Xbox slim & VGA cable. 2 optical outputs at the same time? - AVS Forum
Xbox Area > Xbox slim & VGA cable. 2 optical outputs at the same time?
bamboo510's Avatar bamboo510 02:34 AM 03-01-2013
If I get the MS VGA cable, would I be able to output audio to the VGA cable's toslink port and the Xbox's optical port at the same time? I want 1 output going to my receiver and the other to a dolby headphone processor. I know I can get a splitter, but if I don't have to that'd be cool. Thanks!

darklordjames's Avatar darklordjames 03:29 AM 03-01-2013
Good question. When you try it, make sure to report back here so we know the answer the next time someone comes around asking. smile.gif
Valence01's Avatar Valence01 07:30 AM 03-01-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamboo510 View Post

If I get the MS VGA cable, would I be able to output audio to the VGA cable's toslink port and the Xbox's optical port at the same time? I want 1 output going to my receiver and the other to a dolby headphone processor. I know I can get a splitter, but if I don't have to that'd be cool. Thanks!

I don't know the answer to the question, but unless you need the VGA capability, then you shouldn't use a VGA cable. Get the HDMI audio dongle. That one has analog stereo RCA and Toslink digital optical outputs and will not induce the dreaded switch away/back reboot issue like the VGA cable will if you're outputting video over HDMI. All of the various flavors of video cables can be modified to eliminate the HDMI reboot issue with greater or lesser degrees of effort, but unless you really need the video output that these cables provide, it's better to just go with the HDMI audio dongle.

P.J.
bamboo510's Avatar bamboo510 11:55 AM 03-01-2013
yeah, I'm going away from HDMI actually, trying to get rid of input lag.

lol, I just bought the newer black MS VGA cable and it doesn't even have the optical port built in. I guess it's the older grey ones that have it for the old style 360. So a toslink splitter it is I guess. Weak.
Valence01's Avatar Valence01 07:37 AM 03-02-2013
For a lot less money than a Toslink splitter, you can get a 3rd party VGA cable with Toslink connector:

http://www.amazon.com/Fosmon-Premium-Digital-Microsoft-equipment/dp/B008EXJOKC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1362234841&sr=8-13&keywords=xbox+vga+cable

Of course, it may or may not work since we still don't know the answer to the question.

P.J.
Up
Mobile  Desktop