Bioshock Infinite - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 87 Old 03-18-2013, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
No one excited for this game to be released next week? I really enjoyed the first 2 and will be buying this one on release day. Really looking forward to a single player game experience again.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I am interested. I didn't go crazy for the first two, but this one looks really good. I am going to gamefly it so I can at least make sure it is something that I will play, and then I will most likely just buy it from gamefly.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 87 Old 03-18-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 78
I pre-ordered the PC version. I also finally finished Bioshock 2 on the PS3 this weekend. Looking forward to some crazy stuff.

Now playing: Destiny, Madden, Diablo 3, PvZ: GW
Recently Finished: Infamous: First Light, Watch Dogs
PSN & XBL: Scuzzlebutt33
post #4 of 87 Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After reading the IGN review, it looks like I'll be going with the PC version. I was hoping the graphics would look better on the consoles this late in the generation. I would prefer to play on my XBOX hooked up to my big screen TV and surround sound but not when there is such a big drop-off with graphics/performance.

I guess it's time to get a Windows XBOX controller smile.gif

PSN/XBOX Live: Destro75
BattleNet Tag: BaronessMD#1680

Steam: vpnath

Gaming PC: i7 3770K OC 4.2Ghz, 16GB RAM, EVGA GTX 670 FTW Dual-SLI

post #5 of 87 Old 03-23-2013, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolshark69 View Post

Really looking forward to a single player game experience again.

+1, Multiplayer has really taken the focus off the excellence of single player games like Bioshock: Infinite.
post #6 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Early reviews look exceptional! Bought the game from Steam and have it preloaded ready to go at midnight. Have a feeling I will be going into work a little late tomorrow smile.gif

post #7 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Picking it up tomorrow, fingers crossed.

post #8 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 09:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 1451
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpn75 View Post

Early reviews look exceptional! Bought the game from Steam and have it preloaded ready to go at midnight. Have a feeling I will be going into work a little late tomorrow smile.gif

This is going to be the perfect game to christen my new gaming PC. Sounds like the same story with the last batch of 3rd party games....the consoles are struggling to maintain even 30fps.

Steam/PSN/Xbox Live: Darius510
post #9 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

This is going to be the perfect game to christen my new gaming PC. Sounds like the same story with the last batch of 3rd party games....the consoles are struggling to maintain even 30fps.

Yeah, I'm debating forgoing the next-gen consoles and going with a dedicated gaming PC. My current PC is limited by the power-supply and I just have a Radeon 7750 in it. I'm still able to play Far Cry 3 at High setting @ 1080p so I'm hoping I can do the same with Bioshock. Just bought a wireless hub so I can use my Xbox controller on the PC too. If my current PC struggles to run Bioshock, then I will have more incentive to upgrade though smile.gif

What are your PC specs? Trying to get an idea for the right components and planning a budget.

post #10 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Early reviews look exceptional! smile.gif

+1, Currently at 96 on Metacritic :

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/bioshock-infinite
post #11 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Yeah, I'm debating forgoing the next-gen consoles and going with a dedicated gaming PC. My current PC is limited by the power-supply and I just have a Radeon 7750 in it. I'm still able to play Far Cry 3 at High setting @ 1080p so I'm hoping I can do the same with Bioshock. Just bought a wireless hub so I can use my Xbox controller on the PC too. If my current PC struggles to run Bioshock, then I will have more incentive to upgrade though smile.gif

What are your PC specs? Trying to get an idea for the right components and planning a budget.

I'd be very wary of buying any PC now that I'd expect to compete with next gen consoles. I really built it to be a hackintosh, and to play those few games like blizzard stuff that just doesn't work well or at all on console. The fact that it can play current gen games way better than current consoles is merely a bonus, provided I want to deal with dragging it over to my living room. I just think that within the next 2 years or so, the required specs for PC games are going to increase dramatically, especially requiring 2-4 GB of VRAM that current consumer cards don't regularly have (in the midrange at least). So I'm really not building anything too dramatic or forward looking, just a i5-3470, GTX 650 Ti, 8GB, about $700ish bucks.

post #12 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd2003 View Post

I'd be very wary of buying any PC now that I'd expect to compete with next gen consoles. I really built it to be a hackintosh, and to play those few games like blizzard stuff that just doesn't work well or at all on console. The fact that it can play current gen games way better than current consoles is merely a bonus, provided I want to deal with dragging it over to my living room. I just think that within the next 2 years or so, the required specs for PC games are going to increase dramatically, especially requiring 2-4 GB of VRAM that current consumer cards don't regularly have (in the midrange at least). So I'm really not building anything too dramatic or forward looking, just a i5-3470, GTX 650 Ti, 8GB, about $700ish bucks.

That's what I was afraid of too. I think I probably will hold off until I see what the next-gen consoles are capable of and decide then. The current consoles aren't all bad. Recent games like Max Payne 3 and Tomb Raider still look quite impressive.

post #13 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I bought it from GMG and have it pre-loaded on Steam also. My GTX 670 is waiting eagerly for this game.

post #14 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 12:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That's what I was afraid of too. I think I probably will hold off until I see what the next-gen consoles are capable of and decide then. The current consoles aren't all bad. Recent games like Max Payne 3 and Tomb Raider still look quite impressive.

Yeah, I mean it depends on what you're trying to get out of it. If you're looking for something that's going to make you forget the next gen consoles are even out there, I think a lot of people who think their current PCs will smoke them based on paper specs are going to be in for a shock. Even though the next gen consoles resemble PCs more than ever, they're going to be capable of a few tricks that current gen PCs aren't. Devs will begin to code specific to the capabilities of the consoles, and PCs will again be an afterthought. It's more likely that PC hardware changes to conform to the needs of the next gen games, than vice versa.

PCs will still be capable of brute force that will put them back on top in short order, but I think that the mainstream PC hardware of 2 years from now is going to be much more efficient at playing those new games than even the most powerful current hardware.

So if you're relatively satisfied with current consoles, Id say resist the temptation to build a PC specifically for games. If you have other reasons to build one, you'll prob get your money's worth if you want to throw in a better GPU for the time being, or upgrade what you have (PSUs ain't THAT expensive). If you can run far cry 3 well enough now, I dont think you need to worry about running bioshock well. But get ready to upgrade sooner than you'd like if you want to continue PC gaming once the next gen really kicks off.

post #15 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
When did I stumble into the PC gaming section?

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #16 of 87 Old 03-25-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

When did I stumble into the PC gaming section?

PC gaming is taking over right now. It's a sign that Sony and Microsoft took too damn long in finally brining out new consoles. Trigger fingers got itchy, and lots of folks built gaming PC's.
post #17 of 87 Old 03-26-2013, 12:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgable View Post

I bought it from GMG and have it pre-loaded on Steam also. My GTX 670 is waiting eagerly for this game.
I can only imagine what that will look like. Game looks great on my 460M (Sager laptop). I have it set for DX11 on High and I'm getting solid frame rates at 35. Here are some screens I took while playing
BSI Gallery

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #18 of 87 Old 03-26-2013, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Pre-ordered for xbox and definitely looking forward to a good single player experience...sounds like the story is getting rave reviews.
post #19 of 87 Old 03-26-2013, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arutha_conDoin View Post

I can only imagine what that will look like. Game looks great on my 460M (Sager laptop). I have it set for DX11 on High and I'm getting solid frame rates at 35. Here are some screens I took while playing
BSI Gallery

Agreed, the game looks gorgeous! Got to play about a half-hour last night before going to bed. The city of Columbia is incredibly vibrant and of course they pack in so much detail in the surroundings. I just spent most of my time wandering around taking in the sights.

Had a question about an early segment (SPOILER):
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
When you are asked to stone the inter-racial couple and are given a choice, I chose to attack the raffle host and triggered hostilities. If you choose to stone the couple, reprehensible though it may be, does it allow you to get through that segment without being discovered?

post #20 of 87 Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 196
I played for about 3 hours last night *Yawn*. Loving the story line and the graphics. I have now found Elizabeth and the game setting is just incredible. I think us gamers have been spoiled this month with both Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinity releasing so close together. Both are excellent games.

Xbox Live: DaBeavers
PSN- Arutha_conDoin
Steam- An0mander
"Too much knowledge never makes for simple decisions."
-Ghanima Atreides
post #21 of 87 Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just bought it. Can't wait to play it tonight after the kids are in bed. Too bad I will have to wear headphones though as my HT has been begging for a work out lately. I am toying with the idea of taking the day off tomorrow. Drop the kids off at daycare 15 minutes away and spending the day on the xbox. Has been a long time since I did that.
Arutha_conDoin likes this.

Gamertag: Quicksilver1663
PSN: ujustshaturpants
post #22 of 87 Old 03-26-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Definitely an Incredible game..lots of gameplay options.

Great atmosphere and attention to details.

I loved Bioshock and I'm having more fun playing Bioshock: Infinite. biggrin.gif
post #23 of 87 Old 03-26-2013, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Picked up copy at Game Stop with something called a season pass. Seems there will be downloadable content in the future to extend the story. Now I just need to avoid spoilers for the next week or so while I play through it. I hope there will be tons of meme worthy stuff in the game. Arrow in the knee, cake is a lie level stuff. I played all the way through crysis 3 and I can't remember anything memorable about that game.
post #24 of 87 Old 03-26-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Nice to see that they still include the option in the Graphics section to "Unlock Framerate." Can't decide if I want to deal with all the screen tearing just to play near 60fps. Definitely plays a lot smoother with it unlocked.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #25 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 05:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 245
Little dissappointed in the game. I find it fun, good abilities, shooting is good, weapons feel good, etc. but the graphics are so bad in my opinion. They have this cartoony feel that reminds me of a bad oil painting. Everyone in the world appears to be high and dreaming and everything appears to be whacked out. I lost that awesome vibe from 1 and 2 where you had a sense of danger and excitement of what is around the corner. Plus the elimination of the save anywhere anytime and going to check point saves baffles me. Why take a step back from the previous games? While I am enjoying it for what it is, this sure doesn't feel like a Bioshock game to me and feels dated in graphics and presentation.

post #26 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 10:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Nice to see that they still include the option in the Graphics section to "Unlock Framerate." Can't decide if I want to deal with all the screen tearing just to play near 60fps. Definitely plays a lot smoother with it unlocked.

Does 20-40fps count as "near" 60? Unlocking it just turn vsync off, which mean when the frame rate drops to 25, it shows 25 with tearing instead of 20fps without. I guess it could go over 30fps, but don't hold your breath, it will probably reach 40fps when nothing is going on.

post #27 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

You're likely right, it probably doesn't exceed 40-45fps. I just ended up keeping vsync on as I couldn't handle the tearing. Even if it dips down to 20fps, I haven't noticed. Then again, I had no trouble playing Far Cry 3, and that game was notorious for its low fps.

After playing for a few hours, I'm hooked. Nothing that I can really complain about thus far, which is rare for me.

post #28 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Is anyone else struggling with the monetary/death system in this game, or do I just really suck at FPSs? I was so proud of myself for taking the time early on scrounging every container and bush for wallets, purses, and silver eagles, but everytime you die, they take something like 50 silver eagles from you. I've died so much that I'm broke again, and what little money I find now gets immediately taken away again when I die. It's gotten to the point that I feel like I am wasting my time even picking up coins that I see on the ground or in trash cans. Granted, I still haven't even found the girl, so maybe they don't rob you as much each time you die after that, or maybe I'll get some powerups that will protect me better. I don't see me ever having enough money to upgrade equipment let alone get the achievement for spending $10,000. I'm not a total noob when it comes to FPSs. I usually play most of them on the Hard difficulty setting without too much frustration.

Other than that, I'm loving it so far. The sky hook makes traversing Columbia a blast.

Xbox/PS/WiiU gamertag: GoNats
Apple Game Center: iGoNats

post #29 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm playing on normal/medium difficulty and haven't died yet, so I'm not sure about the monetary hit that they take when you do die. I did complete the Industrial Revolution pre-order content before hand, which netted me some gear and 500 Silver Eagles (lockpicks as well). I think I currently have around 1400 Silver Eagles (saving up for a Vigor upgrade). I'm definitely a scrounger. I don't think I can leave an area without checking every nook and cranny first (FACT).

post #30 of 87 Old 03-27-2013, 03:43 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Just played through an hour or so....love how every corner is oozing with life and personality. I cant say I wasnt a little disappointed when it turned into a shooter though. Its a pretty good one though, and it's not like I didnt know what it was going in. Still though, cant wait until high budget video games get a little more sophisticated than shoot, kill and destroy everything in sight. A game like this clearly wants to be more than that. It seems so high minded and conceptually deep at first....and then next thing I know, I'm crushing dudes faces with a saw left and right. I wasnt really expecting the kind of extreme level of violence on a constant basis.

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page