Defiance - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 126 Old 03-21-2013, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The 360 beta starts soon, but I haven't been invited. Or, the invite I got weeks ago that seemed to be for the PC version was something I should have responded to anyway. Does anyone know how the beta will be done? I'd like to get a look at it before I order.

I've been following http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes to collect all the available perks, and plan on pre-ordering from Amazon for the sniper rifle. What would be nice is to find out that the game plays well during the beta. If it feels like fun, I'd probably be willing to put up with whatever flaws show up when the number of players skyrockets...

LIVE: mikepaul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 126 Old 03-21-2013, 09:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
I know it's available for ps+ members, so I downloaded it. I will try it out tonight if I get the chance and post my impressions.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 126 Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 54
If anyone else is looking...

http://www.defiance.com/en/beta/

I'm quite interested in this game....hopefully I get picked!

XBOX 360 - KrazeeEyezKeith

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #4 of 126 Old 03-21-2013, 06:18 PM
AVS Special Member

This game is alright, but I have a feeling it will die off quickly.

post #5 of 126 Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Beta invite with LIVE code arrived around 8PM. Going to try to redeem it in a while. Nice that they remembered the platform I asked for...

post #6 of 126 Old 03-21-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I tried to get in it, but the only option I have is to pre-order it, and I don't want to do that.

post #7 of 126 Old 03-23-2013, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Miserable first day. Never got connected to the server. Complaints on the beta forum are intermixed with stories of success. Not sure what the problem is, but even at 2AM today I had no luck. I'll keep trying, but dang this isn't very impressive...

post #8 of 126 Old 03-23-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'd been playing Darksiders, this time following a YouTube guide to enhance my chances of finally finishing it, when the game froze. After I rebooted, I gave Defiance a chance AGAIN and, surprise, I got in on the second try.

Not awful looking for 'old code'. Games like Rage and Fallout 3 look similar. Some awful partially-drawn terrain that I didn't even TRY to walk on. One mission had no audio for the finale but the subtitles worked. It was acceptable. Not great for something just coming out in 2013, but acceptable.

Enemies died when shot, but not always quickly. Sniper rifle headshots were mostly one-shot-kills except for big bruisers carrying mini-cannons. This validates my idea to pre-order from Amazon for their exclusive sniper rifle. The one I got as a Survivalist character is bolt-action, with VERY slow shot-to-shot time even when fully loaded. Not a thrill, but functional. I want better FAST.

Edit: Amazon's rifle is apparently also bolt-action. The game (played again for a while until booted, again) treats bolt-action and semi-automatic sniper rifles as separate classes with separate skill upgrade point counts (3014 per headshot, 750,000 or so for the first upgrade). Not thrilled, but them's the breaks.

Here's one big issue: reloading. It's like a skill, where you work your way up to a decent reload speed from an absolutely crappy start. You can NOT plan on reloading when charging at enemies. You HAVE to melee them rather than wait for the reload. Reload speed perk as a pre-order bonus would now be a better deal than any good weapon.

Another annoyance: you are rolling along on your ATV, you get told that some NPC needs help/rescue/revival/whatever, and you often have no clue where they are. Those insta-missions sometimes have an icon showing where you need to go, but lots of times not. I've done several rescues several times since they seem to give the same XP each time with a chance for salvage. However, very redundant where you can run to the exact spot a helicopter is going to drop your targets.

And the whole thing about death just BUGS me. I have no clue what the rules are. All I know is, there's one level of death where you can self-revive and stand right back up, with no cost mentioned that I noticed. Then there's another where you can regenerate but there's a cost, not unlike Borderlands, and like Borderlands you get put back somewhere else, like MAYBE at these blue-light poles I noticed while driving around. Not right at the spot where your mission needs you to be? Too bad. Next time, don't die.

The other players haven't bothered me. Yet. Haven't talked to any since my chatpad for my beta reports doesn't accept the mic I still have working. Not sure anyone can tank your mission, but if they are doing it at the same time you are, your score probably suffers. I did rescue some NPCs that weren't handled by the other players, but the value isn't all that high. 'Seasoned' players, who've gotten in more than me and earned cars instead of the free ATV, whiz by fairly often. I think a car comes with all pre-orders so that'll be good. The beta ATV steers poorly.

There are like 5 types of currency for spending in different ways, and I have zero in 3 of them. I've recycled some weapons I 'salvaged' from some dead enemies, and have a bunch of whatever those are, but no idea if the beta will let me upgrade any of the weapons I'm keeping. Not sure why some items are either X of this type of currency, or Y of another plus Z of plain credits. Maybe the developers like making players WORK for stuff.

I have no lofty expectations for a 360 multiplayer game. Brilliant hi-def renderings will perform poorly when hoards of players are in sight. It's an acceptably OK-looking game that, unless the server tosses you out like it did to me just before I came to write this, seems fun to play. Again, no idea of how it'll work out in the long run, with nothing to do on days where they decide server maintenance is required. I'm finalizing my pre-order this weekend and will play it, probably off-and-on, until I get bored or it stops working. Hopefully any really annoying stuff got lost before they started manufacturing. Fingers crossed...

post #9 of 126 Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

I tried to get in it, but the only option I have is to pre-order it, and I don't want to do that.
There's a PM waiting for you, with the LIVE code from my Amazon pre-order...

post #10 of 126 Old 03-24-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah I got it thanks. Now if it will just let me into the beta that would be nice.

post #11 of 126 Old 03-24-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americangunner View Post

Yeah I got it thanks. Now if it will just let me into the beta that would be nice.
I only got in twice yesterday. Stayed until I got kicked out each time. There is no 'trick' to it, just luck. Perhaps one gets in when another leaves.

The lack of long-term value in beta equipment means that I can't learn to love the Level 74 assault rifle that I picked up. I just have to appreciate it for the hellbug slaughterer it is and see if I can get another one later. I'm sure the pulsar (or whatever) guns are better, but I'm not sure what hoops you have to go through to get one...

Was in for a while. I *think* server maintenance just kicked me. I found a place to farm mutants but the equipment drops are few and not very impressive. And once somebody else discovers the trick (the three mutants need to be killed at the location to which they deploy, then they pop out of their truck again in about 15 seconds) it'll be a shoving match to toss a grenade and kill them so the loot can be picked up. At least, I think your kill gets you loot only you can pick up...

post #12 of 126 Old 03-25-2013, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

I finally got in yesterday and do like it. If they can fix the bugs, this could be a very cool game. I already have three other friends that are going to check it out, so I will gamefly it and see what I think before I buy it.

post #13 of 126 Old 03-25-2013, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

It has its good moments, between beta bugs. Good thing this is a beta and none of the mistakes I make will cost me any Achievements.

They tend to force you to use the roads, or suffer a LONG walk back if you die. I started walking directly to the objective, cutting over mountains. The developers didn't put any revival towers (the things with a blue light on top) out there, so when I snuck into one location from the back and died, I had a +500M walk back.

And I die OFTEN. Borderlands had a shield-protection progression that now seems fair compared to this game. I don't know when I'll see shields that give over 1600 units of protection. That certainly isn't enough for a non-ducker like me. And ducking isn't always worth it. The enemies have magic targeting that hits you anyway. One EGO perk increases the help crouching gives you, which is a sign somebody thought it amusing to set the enemy damage a little high. I am not amused. At least the cost of rebirth isn't totally outrageous like Borderlands.

Check your inventory often. I keep getting handed rewards that I don't have room for, and I never see them lying near me so I can drop something else and then pick them up. Same for using the lock box vendor. That's kinda lame.

Weapons range from useful to almost useless. Or, if some enemies really DIE from the bio infection weapons, I haven't found one yet. A big blister that eventually pops and a bug falls out isn't useful if the enemy looks like he'll still die of old age. Any long-term value from a pre-order bio weapon is almost completely out of the question, which sucks a little. So far, the 1200 bits (unit of currency) seems like a good get from a pre-order since I haven't seen any way to get that yet. Although, the beta has a bunch of stuff that isn't working like the real game will, so maybe that will be different.

I picked Cloak as my skill, and I'm not sure it's really worth more than 1 point. I can sneak into places, but interacting with an object turns it off, and magically somebody WILL then see you and prevent you from completing the interaction. Probably beta related, the invisibility animation didn't always run, making me wonder if I was really invisible or not. And the connected perks are lame compared to some available to the other skills. I tried putting ALL my EGO points into making Cloak restore faster, rather than perks, and found that even 45% faster (tops out at 50%) just seems too long. At best, I'll put a point into Cloak then something else. I do assume that the skills can be switched. Will check before relying on that.

Beta runs until the morning of the 27th, so I'll do more stuff. Nothing so far makes me regret the pre-order. Hopefully that will not change...

post #14 of 126 Old 03-25-2013, 02:37 PM
AVS Special Member

It does look like it has a lot of potential. It could be something that I play for a very long time. I am kind of growing bored with everything I have, so maybe this will be the game that gets me excited again.

post #15 of 126 Old 03-25-2013, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

These are a few weapons that I found useful so far, and I hope they are still good in the full game. Level is probably important to get full impact out of them. I'm only at 169 because I'm not putting effort into the main quest anymore. Saving that for later.

74 - VBI Assault Rifle. Fire as an added elemental effect. Decent against hellbugs until you get a good shotgun,

98 - FRC Auto-Scattergun. EXCELLENT shotgun. Slugs instead of pellets, so it requires up-close headshots for best effect. Added a magazine that gives it 20 rounds before reloading.

100 - Voltan Bolter. Bolt-action sniper rifle. Best bolt one I've found so far. More damage per shot than the semi-automatic models I've found so far, so I use it a lot.

122 - Frag DEWX. Grenade. They implement grenades as auto-restoring resources, with a set time before you can toss it again. The ones I use right now are 14 seconds. Looking for faster, will settle for a perk if it exists. So far, the best I've done is 5 hellbugs with one toss, which was noted as progress toward an EGO boost.

136 - VBI HP-5 Wolverine. Pistol. Burst fire. Blue text for the description may be the same as Borderlands, marking this as 'better' than the others I've got that are yellow. Darn effective weapon. Took out a big dude that had a backpack that you were supposed to shoot and my other weapons just didn't handle well.

164 - VBI Semi-Auto Sniper Rifle. Not a lot of use yet, but it is effective at snapping off repeated rounds. About half the damage of the Bolter, though. Working on adding mods to enhance the accuracy and remaining on-target.

I keep running into new and different weapons, but these are the ones I like. Some I'm not thrilled with launch explosives that are BAD to use on enemies close to you without a better shield. Not pretty...

New item:

169 - VOT Plasma Pulser. SMG. Absolutely the most destructive bullet-based weapon I've come across. Each shot is supposed to be 369 damage, but there's this AOE damage that comes from, I guess, the Plasma part of the name. I walked in late to an Arkfall and finished first. I could hardly see anything because of the glow from the shots dealing the extra damage. If somebody sells these things early in the game, I'll be in line for even a Level 2 model...

Nerf alert: VOT Plasma Pulser is reported to either be missing from the real game or to be severely crippled. Complaint of potentially seizure-inducing flashes. Complaints that it's too powerful to be allowed to defeat the people who refuse to carry it. Like the Conference Call + Bee in Borderlands 2, a tool that rocks just has to go. Ah, well...

post #16 of 126 Old 03-26-2013, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://orcz.com/Defiance:_Arkfall_Codes now has enough codes to unlock everything...
ultracat likes this.

post #17 of 126 Old 03-27-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks! That was tedious LOL!

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #18 of 126 Old 03-28-2013, 07:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

http://vonbachindustries.com/en/ may not actually give any perks for registering (bottom of page), but one guy on the Defiance forums thought a gun of some kind might be involved...

post #19 of 126 Old 04-02-2013, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Defiance requires its own initial install and patch be done, so installing to your hard drive before playing, like I always do, seems a waste of time.

Server kicked me out during the training run. Not sure how much fun will be had today.

Warning: I don't recall bullets bouncing off the first mutants you come across in the beta, so be ready to keep shooting...

post #20 of 126 Old 04-02-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll be late to the party on this one. The wife bought me a new gaming headset from amazon, but she got me one that works for both Xbox and PS3, and I just don't game enough on my PS3 to make it worth it. So I am planning on sending it back and getting a bigger hard drive for the 360 (I am down to 2 gbs) and defiance. Hopefully I will have it by the end of next week, middle of the week after.

post #21 of 126 Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

You might be better off delaying.

Things were going OK, playing along nicely, but I lost my connection and couldn't get it back for a while. Then they brought it down for maintenance and again, no immediate return. So I played the Dead Space 3 demo I never got around to (decent) and when I got back in to Defiance, the lag was LUDICROUS.

So my farming spot from the beat was still intact, even if the mutants now had armor making it just a touch more difficult. OK, they also increased the grenade recycle time from at worst 18 seconds to 30 seconds for every grenade I've seen through EGO 50. That means one wave gets a grenade and the next gets shot. No biggie. So they pop out of the truck, I toss the grenade, they just stand there looking at me for a few seconds, then go AHHHHH and die. I walk up to what they dropped, and after a few seconds the auto-pickup kicks in. The equipment drops, which I have to press X to get, also has a delay that makes me hit X several times, but at least X also reloads my weapon. Same kind of issue using the assault rifle. While the armor might make them harder to kill, it would be nice if they didn't suck up a lot of bullets then blow up. Ammo is sometimes rare.

At least one person on the Defiance website is already talking lawsuit. Personally, I'd like it if the 360-based complainers would leave so the servers would respond better. Or server, if that's the real issue. Time will tell...

post #22 of 126 Old 04-02-2013, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Played for another couple of hours. Lag, but not game-wrecking lag. Off and on, a kill took longer than it should to register. Game flow different than beta. Wondering where some of the beta missions will fit into the path. Using them to level up was nice. Not using the free boxes of loot until later, when I hope the level wil make them decent. No pre-order LIVE code from Amazon yet. I hope the sniper rifle isn't COMPLETELY obsolete by the time it arrives...

post #23 of 126 Old 04-03-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Bug warning. No, not a hellbug, a programming one.

In the North Point Mine quest, they lock you alone in this room and tell you to escape. You apparently have to kill your way out. However if YOU are killed, you are removed from the room (no revival station inside the room) and, sadly, no button on the outside of the door to let you back in. Defiance forum post said to abandon the quest and start over but, sadly again, just restarting it puts you back right where you were: outside the room and trying to escape.

So another forum post said abandon, log out, come back and try again. Not sure this works yet. I hope something does, otherwise it's all side-missions for me.

I guess the programmers never tried dying inside that room, or broke the abandon routine and never retested. One little revival station in that room would solve everything, unless this is the extra price you pay for death right near the end of some quests...

post #24 of 126 Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Played a while, but then got locked out with a 'timeout' error. Lasted for hours. Eventually, I tried a new character and, for a little while, that worked. Right after the intro mission, I got timeouts and quit again.

Interestingly, when it first worked for the second character, I noticed that when my second character was done with that mission, he was left inside the 'arena' and timed out while I tried to walk out. When it worked again, he was transported outside, where the cut-scene had him jumping anyway, and the next mission start-point was waiting. This means that the status of the game is always in danger of not being correct, and one apparently just has to live with that. I guess as long as it eventually corrects itself, it'll be OK, but they'd better get the 360 server settled down or else the word will spread. Not a lot of can't-play posts on the PC and PS3 Defiance forums...

post #25 of 126 Old 04-03-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Sounds like you're having quite a few issues. Game looks interesting enough, but the initial problems right out of the gate will probably force me to wait until it hits $30. That and backlog of games is still pretty severe.

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #26 of 126 Old 04-04-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Anyone who pre-ordered from Amazon, get out that email that said you had beta access.

The beta LIVE code sent to us was dual-purpose. You enter it into the Defiance.com website to redeem it for your stuff.

Thank you for purchasing from Amazon.com.

Your recent order BLAHBLAHBLAH entitles you to a promotional code.

Your promotional code:
Promotion details:

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for pre-ordering DEFIANCE for Xbox 360. Your purchase entitles you to beta access.

To redeem your beta access code:
1. Go to www.defiance.com/start
2. Create a Trion Worlds account or log in to your existing account
3. If you are not redirected automatically, click the “Apply Code” menu item.
4. Enter the Product Registration code shown above

If you don't still have this email (I didn't) someone at Amazon Customer Support can forward you a copy (like Liz did for me).

I told her that it was confusing. I'm not sure how far that message will go...

post #27 of 126 Old 04-06-2013, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hit-and-miss playing isn't a thrill. Several times, they shut the server down for planned maintenance. Other times, it just went away with no warning.

While working on leveling up, I've been driving around to the marked places to buy stuff. A few have been fast-travel locations so I can get back to them quickly, which is nice. I visited the Golden Gate bridge because people were asking on the Defiance website about the monster that prevented them from getting by it. I figured I might not see it if it's something that can be taken down by a mob while I wasn't around. Then I went back to stuff like arkfalls.

Arkfalls are not consistent, though. You see the red indicator, and rush there to get loot, but there are Major Arkfalls that seem to be worth the trip, and minor arkfalls that are less profitable, XP-wise and loot wise. I'll get it sorted out eventually. And ammo isn't always available when you get there. I noticed yesterday that as part of one Arkfall, ammo resupply modules were provided, where as most of the others left you on your own to hope that ammo dropped from the enemies to let you continue fighting. I've run dry on all the ammo I had weapons to shoot with a few times. Not fun.

So it's good when it's good, and I'll have to hope it gets better. It really AUGHT to. Last I knew, the PS3 and PC versions had far fewer hassles...

post #28 of 126 Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Moving up in level (EGO 400 is close) without progressing the main quest. Not sure what repercussions will come from that if the next episode (due 4/15 or so) requires I get past the barrier near the Golden Gate Bridge. I guess I'll find out.

Can't drive the ATV well enough to get a fast-enough time to get a Silver medal, let alone the Gold, in the first time trial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_46chXoH1s shows someone making their way through the gates with zero problems. I try to change direction from gate to gate and swerve all OVER the place. Trying to stay on-course AND boost at the same time is not happening for me. I did get Bronze once, though. I'm following the guy's advice about upgrading my ATV (runner) skill by driving around, and will get back to it soon.

Annoyance with the terrain is turning to hatred. To get to some of the arkfalls quickly, I fast-travel as close as possible then drive. Well, I found a mine location or something with no obvious door that looks like you fight your way in, then get let out after you complete the mission. The hills are steep, so I fell in and had to fast-travel back to where I started and try an alternate route. Just miserable. Luckily, once you start on a major arkfall (bunch of little battles culmination in a big one) you get rewards even if you are late getting to each location. Several times, I got there just as it ended, but never lost out on decent XP at the end. I think I killed the 'boss' at the end of one of them, since 10,000 XP popped up as it died, followed by the regular reward of 6,000. I've been conserving my assault rifle ammo for that situation and it's been working out well.

My purple weapons are OK. Nothing orange located yet. People say "Buy the boxes at the store, we've gotten orange there." Well, I have seem only a few purples after a BUNCH of boxes and am still waiting for an orange. If ANYTHING about Defiance reminds me of Borderlands 2, it's the scarcity of orange. People complain that they get an orange and it sucks compared to some yellow weapon they've had for a long time, but I'd like to find out for myself. At EGO 500 (about 100 from now) I plan to open the two boxes provided as a bonus (pre-order or code entry) and see what I get. Some yellow weapons are DARN good, but purple and better have special features that would be NICE to have. For example, the assault rifle I got at the end of the Episode 1 mission has a 15% grenade refresh on a kill. Trick is, if I use a grenade and kill 3 mutants with it while holding the AR, the 15% magic kicks in anyway and the grenade (normally 30 seconds to recharge) is instantly half-restored. I guess killing 6 at once would mean tossing another grenade instantly. They might fix this later, just as the Borderlands 2 people fixed things they shouldn't have, but that's the way it goes...

post #29 of 126 Old 04-10-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Got it yesterday, tried to play it last night after the wife went to bed.

...I wish I knew it would take 1.5 hours to install + patches! So, looks like I'll be trying it out tonight rolleyes.gif

PS4 - KrazeeKeith

post #30 of 126 Old 04-11-2013, 12:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
This game is hella fun. I'm enjoying this game more than any game I've played in a long time. It's so addicting, I played for like 3hrs and it just flew by like nothing. I can't remember the last time I did that. It's somewhat like Borderlands meets Crackdown. There's a bit of a learning curve(lot of info coming at you), but once you get it down it's a blast.

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page