Problems with Movie Streaming Services (Buffering/No High Def, etc.) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry for the cross post, but I got no takers in the Video Streaming section, so I wonder if anyone here has any input.

Anyone else having problems with the Xbox and video streaming services? I have Redbox Instant (free trial) and the Xbox is the only platform I have that has an app for it right now. However, I noticed I was not getting HD quality but only got SD streams- the quality meter shows 4 out of 4 bars but the "HD" logo never comes on. I also get a good deal of rebuffering from time to time- all of this is with a wired connection and 100Mbit all fiber Internet access.

Thinking it was Redbox only, I left it for a couple of weeks, but ended up renting a movie on Vudu yesterday in HDX and got the message "doesn't look like you have enough bandwidth for HD, would you like to switch to SD?" I logged out and logged back into Vudu on my Blu Ray Player and instantly got HD for the entire movie with no freezes, buffers, etc. Afterwards, I went back to the Xbox and also tried Netflix and got the same behavior as the Redbox and Vudu apps. I also verified this is not the case with Xbox Live movies, they stream in HD just fine.

I also ran every streaming benchmark known to man (speedtest, ispgeeks streaming test, vudu test) with my computer through the same switch and pass everything with flying colors (approx. 80Mb down/50Mb up).

Anyone else have input on this issue?

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 287
That's strange because I get HD sometimes and I live in a small town with DSL. But I run my xbox directly into the modem.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 8 Old 04-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Liked: 17
This is entirely speculative, but is it possible your ISP is throttling your video service? Or that redbox and vudu have some sort of traffic flow that looks to the ISP like you're torrenting?

I get horrible speeds and service when I watch Hulu or Netflix through my smart tv, but through my Xbox they're great. This isn't connected to my point above, just thought the detail might help you put some puzzle pieces together.

Xbox Gamertag: Autowobble
post #4 of 8 Old 04-14-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
It could be the app itself not optimized. I never have issues with HBO Go, Netflix, Xbox Videos and Hulu Plus. When I downloaded the app for Redbox and watched Hunger Games the movie would go in a fast forward motion and buffer alot. The other streaming services went through their own issues and eventually got better. But the apps are self maintained by the companies and it is up to them to update these apps. I don't think it would be your ISP unless you are having the same issues with other apps and other devices.

The 5.0 is here
post #5 of 8 Old 04-14-2013, 09:51 AM

Liked: 12
There is got a problem with the Xbox live, that's why you have problem with streaming

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-14-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 441
The problem isn't with the sign-in issues over the weekend. Redbox has had this issue since release. I have been watching movies and shows on Xbox video, Netflix and Hulu and haven't had issues all weekend only when the outage happened. No issues streaming today.

The 5.0 is here
post #7 of 8 Old 04-15-2013, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga View Post

It could be the app itself not optimized. I never have issues with HBO Go, Netflix, Xbox Videos and Hulu Plus. When I downloaded the app for Redbox and watched Hunger Games the movie would go in a fast forward motion and buffer alot. The other streaming services went through their own issues and eventually got better. But the apps are self maintained by the companies and it is up to them to update these apps. I don't think it would be your ISP unless you are having the same issues with other apps and other devices.

That might explain everything except that I also had the problem on Vudu and Xbox has had Vudu for a while now. And, as of the weekend, still have the same behavior.

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #8 of 8 Old 04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWobble View Post

This is entirely speculative, but is it possible your ISP is throttling your video service? Or that redbox and vudu have some sort of traffic flow that looks to the ISP like you're torrenting?

I get horrible speeds and service when I watch Hulu or Netflix through my smart tv, but through my Xbox they're great. This isn't connected to my point above, just thought the detail might help you put some puzzle pieces together.
Opposite for me, Vudu stalls on Xbox but runs perfectly through app on my tv. Both are wired to my router.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page