FYI: if you also have a PS3, you CAN use your 360 controller on it... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-21-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Some people here were interested in this, so I'm reporting my first results. I've been too busy playing 360 games but I thought this was getting overdue.

http://www.cronusdevice.com/cronus-device.html is where they sell the adapter that lets you use your 360 controller on the PS3.

For a wireless controller, you need the Microsoft Wireless Adapter, which may or may not be easy to come by now like in the days gone by when I bought mine. It's offered by the Cronus people at $15.

You SHOULD be able to just plug-and-play, but I ran into an issue where the PS3 didn't recognize the adapter right out of the box. It comes with configuration software, which has the lamest user interface I've seen in a while. Your best bet is to run CronusCFG and set the Cronus adapter to PS3 only output. That SEEMED to be the fix. WARNING: you are making live updates to the device as you change the dropdowns on the screen. Double-check everything before you remove the USB cable and try out your changes.

Also, while you're in there, you can swap the shoulder buttons with the triggers. I have been trained by lots of 360 software to use the left trigger to scope and right trigger to fire. Uncharted 2 expected me to use the left and right shoulder buttons for those jobs. I failed so miserably at Uncharted 2 that I don't remember if that was the case using the PS3 controller. Once I saved a new profile (no, the default profile can't be swapped) to the Cronus with those thing swapped, I was able to play the game exactly as I expected, which is to actually KILL things and progress the game. Far, far better, which I'd expect for nearly $60. If you play all your PS3 games with the standard setup and don't want to change, you don't have to do a thing.

http://www.savevy.com/store/cronusdevice.com still lists a coupon that I used to get 10% off, which offset the shipping and gave me a tiny net discount.

Very happy so far. Hoping it works forever or until I don't have a PS3 anymore...

LIVE: mikepaul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-22-2013, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Meh, that's ok. I'll just keep playing the Xbox and keep using the PS3 as a media device in the bedroom.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 9 Old 04-23-2013, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The experiment was a success, though. Between the better feel of the 360 controller and the remap that made the trigger do the job of scope control, I managed to get 98% of the way through Uncharted 2 in about 14 marathon hours.

The final battle on Easy I watched on YouTube seemed headache-inducing, so my Normal game is on hold until I feel like finishing.

Back to Defiance...

post #4 of 9 Old 04-23-2013, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do you think its possible to use this device to allow a logitech steering wheel like the g27 (for ps3 and pc only) and use on the xbox?

post #5 of 9 Old 04-24-2013, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony A. View Post

Do you think its possible to use this device to allow a logitech steering wheel like the g27 (for ps3 and pc only) and use on the xbox?
http://www.cronusdevice.com/support.html has a bunch of stuff listed. Don't see the Logitech item you are interested in. Close doesn't count with this device: my model of Mad Catz Arcade Gamestick wasn't suitable to set up the Cronus device to work on my 360 with the PS3 controller. Assuming they can support your wheel, you would need a good wired 360 controller to initialize the device every time you turn on the 360, which could make you think another 360 wheel is less hassle...

post #6 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 832
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

Some people here were interested in this, so I'm reporting my first results. I've been too busy playing 360 games but I thought this was getting overdue.

Good to hear it's working out for you! I know some people absolutely hate the PS3 controller, so this seems like a good solution, and a way to minimize clutter (multiple controllers).
post #7 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyrantII View Post

Good to hear it's working out for you! I know some people absolutely hate the PS3 controller, so this seems like a good solution, and a way to minimize clutter (multiple controllers).
Yea, since I only want to use the Evil D-Pad 360 controller, there's very little clutter with my extra 360 models tucked away too. I did spend like $15 on the chat pad for the PS3 controller, so someday if I ever have a need to type something there (no friends, no codes to enter, no nothing so far) I'll have to test if the 360 chatpad does its job. Not counting on it, but it'd be cool if it does. Then someday when my current 360 headset breaks, the original one that can't plug in to the chatpad, I can buy a headset that plugs in along with the pad and go back to the controller weight I had gotten used to. It seemed heavy at first, but now it doesn't really feel right without the extra heft. Plus, I feel I'm going to break something with all the snap-on-snap-off I do when I need to enter a code...

post #8 of 9 Old 04-25-2013, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I wish a device like this had been available earlier in the life cycle of these consoles. Its a little pricey and with the release of the next Xbox and PS4 only months away I hesitate to get something like this because it will probably have a short shelf life at this stage.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-26-2013, 04:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

My shelf will still have old consoles on them for a long time. PS3 never lived up to the hardware specs in terms of how the games played, so getting a PS4 would be silly. My 360 will play the BUNCH of games I own and never even opened yet while the new console is probably not going to.

What will suck badly is if the next gen machine causes Microsoft to make LIVE changes that cut the 360 off, like they did so the original Xbox was booted off LIVE. I can't recall how long that took, but it's been years now. I don't EXPECT it to happen to the 360, but it's possible. And Sony could do something similar to avoid the hassle of multiple consoles needing support for video apps and stuff.

'Old' software will get cheap as soon as it's sucking up space that they need for next-gen stuff. For a few years, it'll be OK. Until new releases only come out for new machines. Then I'll worry...

Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page