Star Trek - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Anybody else playing this? Redbox sent me a free game rental code that expires today, so I decided to take a shot at Star Trek.

I think I've played worse games. Those names escape me now. Unfortunately, "Star Trek" will never be forgotten due to the name.

If I have to pick the most annoying thing, it's the requirement to use the tricorder CONSTANTLY so anything that's supposed to be found is findable. I started out just poking around looking for stuff, and got through the opening mission OK. When I was beamed down to the first planet and noticed I got XP for scanning flowers, I checked the log of scanned things and saw that I had missed everything that was to be found in the opening mission. So I started over, and STILL missed two things. Another game where the locations for stuff is important to have handy.

I'll stumble through it until it needs to be returned, but I don't see this as a 'buy'. The acting is stiff, Kirk isn't very agile, and if there's real fun to be had it's still to be found. Not sure even the tricorder will locate it...

LIVE: mikepaul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 572
I saw this at E3 last year. sat in their 30 minute presentation in order to get a free T shirt. game looked pretty mediocre back then. they delayed the game until near the movie to get some extra sales but it appears they didn't do much to make it better since E3 of last year.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I got it and I am playing it. It is OK. Nothing great. Best part is the voice acting from the real actors from the movie, that helps a lot to immerse you. Graphics are pretty bad at times. You also have to do stealth a lot, they keep reminding you that Star Fleet uses fighting as a last option. the tri-corder is pretty slick. Sending Spock to do stuff reminds me of ME. Game screams to be played co-op.

post #4 of 8 Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Amen to co-op. Although I did finally realize he didn't come to me with Y, he went where I was pointing. Or, he felt like walking back past a turret and dying for sport. Odd ducks, those Vulcans.

The stealth stuff is excruciating. I'm at the part where you start out hacking a mine that a Gorn stands next to then leaves. Didn't realize for a while that mine explosions maintain stealth. Then I have to hike over to the next mine while avoiding being seen, hack it, then wait for the Gorn to come into sight and use the tricorder audio decoy to make him set it off and die.

And only because I happened to keep 700 XP around was I able to make use of the tricorder that way. I had to blow 1200 (full auto mode) on the very first Gorn, because he refused to die from stock phaser damage, and a phaser was all I had at the time. I realize they have Achievements for upgrading that would make a generous supply of XP seem like they were giving Achievements away, but I'd be fine with that. Really.

It's not like I can't turn the difficulty down from Hard. It's that the little things like hitting B to go into cover don't work all the time, so I tumble down stairs and get seen instead of hugging the stair rail. And then when I stun a turret to run by it, Spock should FOLLOW, not make me come back and stun the turret again and hope that we can get going before the stun wears off. That's what's really missing: a standing order to stick close to me until told to do otherwise.

So when I get back to it later, I'll have to plot a strategy past the second mine. Another mine was in an easy-to access spot, but nobody came when I made a sound. The other mine I saw was miraculously (cough, cough) outside the range of my tricorder while in cover. Another option I wish I could afford to fix. Not sure the stealth commendation is worth it. May find out the hard way.

I am REALLY glad this rental was free. The generic Pepcid Complete I'll need to buy still costs more than a few dollars...

post #5 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, I decided that starting over at Easy would be a better way to spend my time. Some non-combat but dangerous stuff was easier. ALL combat was easier, although that first Gorn still took far more damage than any Gorn after him, so his mini-boss status is confirmed. Space Battle didn't seem easier, although I still haven't watched somebody else do it to know how to get the second Achievement.

I did stop playing, though. I can't STAND the crap going on when you try to get to McCoy. One problem is that when you start that section over, you are in cover and you have to quickly shoot the infected dude who runs into the room. Then the other dude. Then take both down. This has degenerated from Hard into a random stealth-failure that can't be explained. I mean, the stealth commendation is revoked yet I did exactly what was expected. If not these two, then the next two. Stealth still in play per the screen. One outside the room, one inside. Stunned and down, no problem. Get upstairs and start crawling and the screen shows that stealth failed again. Huh? If somebody else saw me, who was it and why didn't they attack me? Rather than worry, I'm returning the game.

I'm not sure how much XP is was generated by printing the resource locations and picking them up as I went, versus XP you get as you go. I added the tricorder stuff I would be using later, and had over 3,000 left, so since it's optional to keep all the stuff you added in a previous game when you start a new one, MAYBE you can make multiple short runthroughs to have your equipment in better shape earlier. If all the XP came from finding things, at least you can be well equipped by finding them all. Some were not easy to find, even if you were told where they are. I'd suggest YouTube.

To all those doing well, I salute you...

post #6 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

Well, I decided that starting over at Easy would be a better way to spend my time. Some non-combat but dangerous stuff was easier. ALL combat was easier, although that first Gorn still took far more damage than any Gorn after him, so his mini-boss status is confirmed. Space Battle didn't seem easier, although I still haven't watched somebody else do it to know how to get the second Achievement.

I did stop playing, though. I can't STAND the crap going on when you try to get to McCoy. One problem is that when you start that section over, you are in cover and you have to quickly shoot the infected dude who runs into the room. Then the other dude. Then take both down. This has degenerated from Hard into a random stealth-failure that can't be explained. I mean, the stealth commendation is revoked yet I did exactly what was expected. If not these two, then the next two. Stealth still in play per the screen. One outside the room, one inside. Stunned and down, no problem. Get upstairs and start crawling and the screen shows that stealth failed again. Huh? If somebody else saw me, who was it and why didn't they attack me? Rather than worry, I'm returning the game.

I'm not sure how much XP is was generated by printing the resource locations and picking them up as I went, versus XP you get as you go. I added the tricorder stuff I would be using later, and had over 3,000 left, so since it's optional to keep all the stuff you added in a previous game when you start a new one, MAYBE you can make multiple short runthroughs to have your equipment in better shape earlier. If all the XP came from finding things, at least you can be well equipped by finding them all. Some were not easy to find, even if you were told where they are. I'd suggest YouTube.

To all those doing well, I salute you...

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for the impressions--I'm playing this game as well (on the PS3) and I'm having many of the same issues and frustrations with it that you are. I applaud you for carrying on with it as long as you have, especially since you didn't have to pay for it. By the trophy list, I'm about half-way finished with it. I decided that stealth wasn't fun and just ignored that commendation. It has gotten so bad in terms of what constitutes stealth and what doesn't, that I stopped even caring about the "infected." Now I shoot anything that moves--even if it has a Starfleet uniform.

I just finished the Starbase level last night and the whole level killed any fun that I was having with this game. I can't tell you how many restarts that I did on that level alone (like you I went to Hard). I thought I might try an Easy playthrough for a Platinum Trophy, but based on your experiences, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it. I'm going to try finish the game (since I spent money on it) and then put the trade in value for it to preorder another game that I'm interested in.

I just wanted to let you know that even though I'm on another platform, there is at least one other player who feels your pain. This could have been such a good game.

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
post #7 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlock View Post

I just finished the Starbase level last night and the whole level killed any fun that I was having with this game. I can't tell you how many restarts that I did on that level alone (like you I went to Hard). I thought I might try an Easy playthrough for a Platinum Trophy, but based on your experiences, it doesn't seem like it would be worth it. I'm going to try finish the game (since I spent money on it) and then put the trade in value for it to preorder another game that I'm interested in.
The thing is, Easy was really making the combat a non-issue. I ducked maybe two times getting to the Space Battle. And after sleeping on it, perhaps the stealth was being broken by my refusal to hit B to go to cover then have to do whatever button pushing was required to get Kirk to stand back up and walk normally afterwards. Pushing the right stick to force him to straighten up and run faster just ticked me off. I didn't push it to start, I had hit B.

Maybe they can patch it, maybe they can't. There's always somebody who does well with any game. This one isn't one for me...

post #8 of 8 Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepaul View Post

The thing is, Easy was really making the combat a non-issue. I ducked maybe two times getting to the Space Battle. And after sleeping on it, perhaps the stealth was being broken by my refusal to hit B to go to cover then have to do whatever button pushing was required to get Kirk to stand back up and walk normally afterwards. Pushing the right stick to force him to straighten up and run faster just ticked me off. I didn't push it to start, I had hit B.

I understand completely. There are times when I'm sure I had broken stealth, but it turned out I hadn't, but then the most random thing would happen and then the notification would pop up that yup, I'd broken stealth, and I had no idea how I'd been seen. I already don't much care for stealth (in ANY game), but in a game like this, it just seems arbitrary and broken.

I spent 2 gaming sessions (2 hrs each) on that Starbase level and most of it seemed like filler. The "Uncharted" elements of the later level were stiff and uninspired, and the fact that (as you mentioned) it was very difficult to grab on to ladders caused me to fall and go into a "downed" state far too many times. Checkpointing is "off" and some of the sequences rely on rote memorization.
Quote:
Maybe they can patch it, maybe they can't. There's always somebody who does well with any game. This one isn't one for me...

I'm right there with you . . . this game has far too many issues to be truly fun (or worth $60). It's not as bad as Aliens: CM, but its also not Mass Effect 2 either (which I think it aspires to be--without the RPG element). If I can finish it, that would be wonderful, but it has used up all its free passes. Any game-breaking bugs or really frustrating parts and it goes back for trade in value. And since the game I ACTUALLY WANT is 39.99, the trade in value should pay for it out-right, so perhaps all's well that ends well. biggrin.gif

OtherWorlds - My Sci-Fi/Fantasy Writing Blog
Reply Xbox Area

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page