Halo 2 HD - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-27-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
I've just been playing through Halo CEA and I have to say this is the way a game should be.

Anyways it got me wondering if they will be doing remake of Halo 2? It would be great to play it again, especially online co-op. To have basically all the Halo's to date on one console would be amazing.

Anyone else wishing for it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-27-2013, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I can absolutely guarantee that you will see a HD remake of Halo 2 someday. The game is far too popular to not receive an HD makeover and the first such effort seemed to have been very well received which would seem to seal the deal. But Halo 4 just came out and the Xbox 720 is just around the corner so I suspect that there will be a bit of a wait. And it very well might not even be a Xbox 360 release.

And while the ability to play online multiplayer and download maps concluded several years ago with the cessation of Xbox Live support for the original console, keep in mind that Halo 2 is still compatible with the Xbox 360. The original two Halo games are two of the best running backwards compatible games on the 360 (which shouldn't come as a shock since they're where most of the focus was). And they both look great upscaled to HD on the 360 and since Halo 2 is 16:9, it will even fill your display (The original Halo on the Xbox was 4:3 only and would be pillarboxed).

And there is a Games for Windows release of Halo 2. It's HD, is Xbox Live enabled with an active online community, and I believe was one of the first PC games to include a slate of achievements just like 360 games. So if the real deal isn't coming along quick enough to suit your taste, perhaps consider this route to revisit the game at this time with full online functionality and improved graphics compared to the Xbox version.

Toss in a Xbox 360 controller and you essentially have what you're looking for. And I suspect there are lots of 3rd party modifications that will improve its appearances even more.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Last rumor/article I heard and saw about this one was in late 2011. It claimed Saber Interactive ( Halo CEA remaker) was working on it as an early launch game for Durango and Windows 8 PC. And would include Halo 2, Halo 3 and Halo ODST all bridged into one game and ecosystem via WayPoint with a few additional chapters or cutscenes to integrate the games together. Since the new console will have a Blu-Ray Drive...and the PC version of Halo 2 for PC had achievements, this makes a lot of sense to me. MS' response to the rumor was 343 was not currently working on a new Halo 2 project. And they had their hands full with Halo 4. But they did not preclude or deny that someone else like Saber was working on it. But I see no way where they wouldn't make that game a DD only and Cloud option for XBox 360 users if they did it. They would be leaving way too much money on the table. I also suspect they would add all of the multiplayer maps in the package to encourage global XBox and Win-8 community integration in a game. It is so logical to do a project like that with Halo 2A to blend their ecosystem...that I would be shocked if MS didn't already have this puppy ready to go with an announcement and Demo at E3. We'll see.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 AM

Liked: 93
"And they both look great upscaled to HD on the 360 and since Halo 2 is 16:9, it will even fill your display"

I'm fairly certain that Halo 2 was also the only back-compat game that rendered in 720p on the 360. That fact alone leads me to believe that a Halo 2 HD is a non-starter on the 360. It's already Halo 2 HD. smile.gif
post #5 of 9 Old 04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Halo 2 does look pretty good on the 360 but no way does it even come close to how great Halo Anniversary was.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 01:45 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

"And they both look great upscaled to HD on the 360 and since Halo 2 is 16:9, it will even fill your display"

I'm fairly certain that Halo 2 was also the only back-compat game that rendered in 720p on the 360. That fact alone leads me to believe that a Halo 2 HD is a non-starter on the 360. It's already Halo 2 HD. smile.gif

Heya, I joined simply to comment on this thread.

I do believe there will eventually be a Halo 2 Anniversary/HD remake. If it comes out next year, Anniversary, else it will probably be called something else.

The problem with playing Halo 2 on the XBox 360, for many people, is that the emulator chip can't handle it properly: a grey overlay, looking like a smokescreen, gets stuck on the screen, in the shape of the last scene. It's nearly transparent, but still noticeable, and very, very annoying. I wish they had simply included the original XBox hardware like they did with the Wii and its GCN mode, but that probably would have made it prohibitively expensive.

Also, Halo 2 PC support is supposed to end in June, which means it will no longer work with the official servers (yet Halo: CE still works. Strange). It also doesn't support 1400x900, my resolution. frown.gif
post #7 of 9 Old 05-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
this is incredibly silly, but, dammit, I want my achievements and points for Halo 2 as well.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I never noticed that with Halo 2 but I'll grant that I've barely played it so far (An hour or two). I've actually only played through the original in its entirety (and I've yet to acquire any of the popular 360 sequels since I'm waiting to wrap up Halo 2 someday). I hope it doesn't happen since I planned to play it on my 360 on my HDTV. I do have a question though. When was the last time you played it? Everything I located just now was from years ago and before the last backwards compatibility update in late 2007. So it perhaps may of been cured with one of the final BC updates.

As for the Wii, it doesn't have GameCube specific hardware outside of the controller ports and memory card ports. The Wii hardware is essentially spruced up GameCube hardware and that's why it had such perfect backwards compatibility since the Wii hardware could natively play GameCube software.

And as for achievements and points, you can get that with the PC release and they will count towards your gamerscore. But if it's true that servers are going down soon, I'd suggesting getting it soon if you want to grab some of the multiplayer related achievements.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 493
lots of random graphical glitches with halo 2 on the 360. but still plenty of fun and better looking overall than h2 on the original xbox.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page