the evil empire has struck back... EA has exclusive to Star Wars games - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 493
http://ea.newshq.businesswire.com/press-release/company-news/walt-disney-company-and-ea-announce-multi-year-star-wars-games-agreement

The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Bioware and Kotor. Sounds good to me.
Sean Spamilton likes this.

XBL: xGunner26x

PSN: AMER1CAN_GUNNER

Steam: xGunner26x

post #3 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 330
A Star Wars: Battle Front game using the Frostbite engine sounds like a cool prospect.
centking and Sean Spamilton like this.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 200
It didn't seem like Lucasarts was doing much with the license this generation anyways. I don't think there's been a decent Star Wars game since the Xbox/PS2/GCN days when we seemed to be getting a good game regularly.
post #5 of 12 Old 05-06-2013, 11:54 PM

Liked: 93
Doesn't matter. A good game is still good without the Star Wars name. A crap game does not suddenly become good when you slap the Star Wars name on it.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
can't be worse than the crap LucasArts has put out for the last decade or so.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames View Post

Doesn't matter. A good game is still good without the Star Wars name. A crap game does not suddenly become good when you slap the Star Wars name on it.

Of course

I've only even seen one of the movies so I'm no Star Wars fanatic. But like you said, a good game is a good game. So I probably have upwards of 20 Star Wars games in my collection just because they can succeed on their own merits when done well like the Rogue Squadron series from the late 1990's and early 2000's.

Beyond LEGO Star Wars II (Also available on last gen consoles) and the compilation of both games, I don't have a single current generation Star Wars game.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by spid View Post

A Star Wars: Battle Front game using the Frostbite engine sounds like a cool prospect.
I 100% agree with this. A Star Wars Battlefield game that looks just as good as Battlefield 4 would be a dream come true. SW Battlefront 2 was probably the last great SW game IMO and LucasArts never seemed to care about making a new one for the 360/PS3. A SW Battlefield games has got to be on the minds of the folks at EA. I hope BioWare does another sequel to KOTOR. With all the improvements they made over the years to Mass Effect, a KOTOR using that engine would be great!

Honestly, I get why many people cry hate for EA but, outside of there sports games, the make pretty good games. Every developer/publisher releases some duds but EA does release some really good stuff, Battlefront being at the top of that list IMO. Now, there sports games are another issue and, while they are not bad for the most part, they suffer from the need to release yearly versions. Because of the quick turn around, they never seem to be able to work out all the bugs and issues which frustrate fans of the games. I think they should move there sports games to a 2 year cycle or hire 2 teams to work on them so one could be working on next years while the other is working on the year afters game.

I still have The Force Unleashed II, only because I bought the digital version but, I hardly ever fire it up and I've never finished it. To repetitive and got boring after a few levels.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #9 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Id love to see a Star Wars game that plays like Dynasty Warriors
post #10 of 12 Old 05-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Liked: 832
Jedi Knight 3 please.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-16-2013, 10:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Right, Dice with their frostbite engine...I'm in. Sounds like this total combination could be a big time hit. I wonder when the first installment will come out?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
2015 would probably be a fertile time to release.
Reply Xbox Area

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page